Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Famous Homecoming

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

kfallon wrote: »
    Eh, no we didn't!!!

countries with the same population as us always do much better. 5 medals is not a brilliant games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I hope this never gets on "Reeling in the Years"........

It will, and just before it does the music will go quiet and you know something really sad is coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Still, these athletes are probably all still nursing hangovers, at least the crowd noise is less than expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I think Charlie is competing in the Tour of Spain at the moment. He's always wanted to add that title to his Tour de France win in 1987.

He's in traing for the upcoming Dublin v Mayo semi final.

He can't decide whether to play the first half for Dublin and the second half for Mayo, or vice versa !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Rocky theme song just sounded embarassing there

if i was katie taylor i would be asking cahill when the next 145 is

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

"grannies are Great" - well done Des

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Eh, no we didn't!!!

We did okay but the way it's being broadcast on the television you'd thing we won a load of medals.

Good on you, Katie, you legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

countries with the same population as us always do much better. 5 medals is not a brilliant games

We won more medals than the likes of India, Argentina, Austria, Thailand, Egypt, Belgium, Finland, Bulgaria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Portugal, Greece and Morocco.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Go on Katie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

"how did you do in your leaving cert?"...............Im embarrassed for him at this stage

We did good at the boxing and the equestrian but everyone else was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Oh god, it's embarrassing to watch. Obviously they were very unlucky with the weather, I'm sure there'd be loads more people otherwise – but it's just so, so lame. The location isn't suitable for this, hardly anyone can see the stage properly. Des ordering everyone to 'wave up the street and down the street' is too cringeworthy for words.
    I live nearby and was thinking of strolling in to catch a glimpse of Katie Taylor, glad I didn't now.

Katie and the rest of the team deserve better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nolls14

The finest example of sneer television this year. If Clare O'Donaghue turns up with her inane witterings, it might be the finest ever.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

After New Zealand and Denmark who else did better then us???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's not 'pretty sh1t' either tho! And I'd say our medal to population ratio was about the same as Team GB too!

At least the music wasn't bad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Nolls14

Fightin and Ridin'. :D

Annalise Murphy came fourth and was most certainly not 'crap'.

Edit: Ditto Rob Heffernan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Ibiza rocks on the Internet bookings!...........

Oh thank you too Des............Big wave to you 'an all..........

I can only say "Oh My God Almighty" to that "homecoming".......

It's all very Father Ted-esque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Annalise Murphy and Rob Heffernan were not crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

qwerty93 wrote: »
    "how did you do in your leaving cert?"...............Im embarrassed for him at this stage

What the hell was that leaving cert bit about? Isn't she about 26 years old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Lapin wrote: »
    He's in traing for the upcoming Dublin v Mayo semi final.

He can't decide whether to play the first half for Dublin and the second half for Mayo, or vice versa !
    Nice to see him back in the GAA. Especially after managing the Ireland soccer team to the World Cup quarter-final in 1990, with Jack Charlton's assistance of course!

tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

PK2008 wrote: »
    What the hell was that leaving cert bit about? Isn't she about 26 years old?

I guess because the leaving cert results are out today??

That was some woeful TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Pyrotechnics were absolutely top class

Skid wrote: »

Ok but that's only 6 athletes who were decent the rest were crap. Absolutely no need for an official homecoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

RTE were so eager to be part of the Irish Olympic success that they're trying to write themselves into the history books. There was the Marty appreciation slot on 2fm this morning. What a knob jockey. Will RTE now increase it's coverage of boxing in Ireland after the success of the team in the Olympics ? Answer is no. It's all about them and not the athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anyone remember the homecoming from World Cup 2002 hosted by Joe Duffy? Is this one worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://www.medalspercapita.com/#medals-per-capita:2012

Ireland 22nd in medals per capita.

Ok but that's only 6 athletes who were decent the rest were crap. Absolutely no need for an official homecoming.

Talk about not having a clue.:rolleyes:

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    We did okay but the way it's being broadcast on the television you'd thing we won a load of medals.
    el diablo wrote: »
    We won more medals than the likes of India, Argentina, Austria, Thailand, Egypt, Belgium, Finland, Bulgaria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Portugal, Greece and Morocco.
    After New Zealand and Denmark who else did better then us???
    It's not 'pretty sh1t' either tho! And I'd say our medal to population ratio was about the same as Team GB too!
    Annalise Murphy and Rob Heffernan were not crap!

Fek away off and find another thread to discuss our performances at the games.

Don't drag this one off topic.

Skid wrote: »

Anyone who "messes" with Annalise "messes"" with me........:eek:

She is a Star!.....:)

5,000 people.......are RTE for real?????

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone remember the homecoming from World Cup 2002 hosted by Joe Duffy? Is this one worse?

No that was worse.

At least we won something at the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

el diablo wrote: »
    Don't forget about Canada, very wealthy country, 35 million people and only got 1 gold and 18 medals in total.

sorry mr moderator

Michelle Smith was excluded again from those with gold medals, even though she has never lost them unlike Cian O'Connor...

I think RTE are wrong to continously rewrite history.

• Advertisement

Cop on. You're not a mod. :rolleyes:

No that was worse.

At least we won something at the games.

Please Stick to the topic and not something that happened in 1994:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

haha funny thread, glad im not watching it, sounds like a cringe fest

Your not a mod so go fcuk yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cassidy28 wrote: »

Are you been serious, its our best games since the 50's, we got more medals than many other nations of the same size or bigger, we got close to another medal with the Murphy girl and our Olympic team getting crumbs for funding.

Our nation did well in the Olympics and the majority of us take our hats off to them and the level of dedication and training they put in is very commendable.

Keyboards warriors on here beeutching about lack of medals and people who stand out in the rain to show their support, would honestly love to see them go up to our athletes there today on the stand and tell them what they have posted on here.... I think this wouldn't happen.

If you don't like it, turn off the TV, its quite simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

In fairness, I'm sure the weather isn't helping.

• Advertisement

George won't let Katie go to Ibiza.........

He always was a Kill-Joy.....

That was one seriously bad homecoming....Imagine going all the way to London 2012 to come home to that!......Blessed be the ones who stood out in the rain for that.......Respect to you all...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I really thought it wasnt possible for a homecomimg to be worse then the one that was held after World Cup 94.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Ten if you count the eventers - 5th in team event, 7th, 14th and 21st in the individual. I would call those pretty good performances, especially the 5th and 7th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pyrotechnics were absolutely top class
    Its a bad sign when the gas escaping from those tubes is actually louder than the crowd.

Sea Filly wrote: »
    In fairness, I'm sure the weather isn't helping.

I was really surprised when on Monday it was said that the official homecoming celebration would be Wednesday when the forecast even then was so bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement