Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Famous Homecoming

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Sea Filly wrote: »
    In fairness, I'm sure the weather isn't helping.

Neither is Des Cahill.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Des Scahill always reminds me of this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

yop wrote: »
    Are you been serious, its our best games since the 50's, we got more medals than many other nations of the same size or bigger, we got close to another medal with the Murphy girl and our Olympic team getting crumbs for funding.

Our nation did well in the Olympics and the majority of us take our hats off to them and the level of dedication and training they put in is very commendable.

Keyboards warriors on here beeutching about lack of medals and people who stand out in the rain to show their support, would honestly love to see them go up to our athletes there today on the stand and tell them what they have posted on here.... I think this wouldn't happen.

If you don't like it, turn off the TV, its quite simple.

Spot on my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

Ha ha, on the RTE news now they're saying stuff like “all the athletes seemed delighted at the reception” - eh, no, they didn't really. Do they think we couldn't see the awkwardness of it all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

countries with the same population as us always do much better. 5 medals is not a brilliant games

Awe the population argument. I mean it holds up under any sort of limited scrutiny. Anyway China for Same . India for Liam this year just like the last 20 years

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Ok but that's only 6 athletes who were decent the rest were crap. Absolutely no need for an official homecoming.

Look, Katie Taylor won an inaugural gold medal which is an event that should be celebrated. But you can't just say to the team "right, we only want Katie up on stage and maybe the rest of the medalists. The rest of you suck and can fcuk off" ... So it would either be that or have the whole team there. You'd complain as well if they only had the stalwarts and not the 'also rans'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It was only amateur boxing. We didn't win any medals in any of the proper olympic events like athletics, swimming or gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

You've gotta love how patriotic the whole country was during the Olympics now that its over we're back to our begrudging ways, god I love this country :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

We should be very proud of our athletes and it was great to see people out there today in the bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Is this over now? I need to go to the Passport Office, but I don't want to be mistaken as an audience member.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

The RTE TV schedule has changed. A minute ago the homecoming was to be shown until half two. This has now changed to five past two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

The RTE TV schedule has changed. A minute ago the homecoming was to be shown until half two. This has now changed to five past two.

Maybe it was something to do with the weather.

It was only amateur boxing. We didn't win any medals in any of the proper olympic events like athletics, swimming or gymnastics.

It's all amateur. And define "proper".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Caveman1 wrote: »
    You've gotta love how patriotic the whole country was during the Olympics now that its over we're back to our begrudging ways, god I love this country :pac:
    Nothing to do with begrudgery, just a sense of pity for the poor unfortunates in the crowd and on the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Cassidy28 wrote: »
    We should be very proud of our athletes and it was great to see people out there today in the bad weather.

Yeah a tiny percentage to all the people who wouldn't shut up about the boxing etc when it was on. Where are they now?

Get into to the boxing for an hour off work, but when support requires any actual effort, fcuk it. Typical Irish. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Diapason wrote: »
    Is this over now? I need to go to the Passport Office, but I don't want to be mistaken as an audience member.

If you look over nine you're safe....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's all amateur. And define "proper".

While they don't get paid for the actual Olympics themselves, I don't think people like usain bolt could ever be considered an amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Nolls14 wrote: »
    When are they breaking out the Sandwiches? You'd probably have a good chance of winning the raffle in that crowd.

the curry chips and cadet coke are coming out around now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭mobby

Boxing was one of the ancient Olympic Games, FYI. So thats a remarkable silly statement to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Nothing to do with begrudgery, just a sense of pity for the poor unfortunates in the crowd and on the stage.

Well nobody dragged them out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

this is hilarious to say the least.

The "celebrations" has dwindled into a boring non-entity.

what do you expect.

Will ye leave them people alone to go home and relax. Gawd have people not got anything better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Tope

It was only amateur boxing.

What on earth are you talking about? An Olympic gold medal is about the highest achievement any athlete can hope for. You can't seriously be scoffing at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I really thought it wasnt possible for a homecomimg to be worse then the one that was held after World Cup 94.
    You sure you're not thinking of 2002? Here's a good article about it. If you thought Des Cahill was bad today, Joe Duffy in 2002 was on a different planet of cringeness:
    "Damien, Oliver Kahn has called in sick in the German camp. He's suffering from a new disease called DDD - Damien Duff Dizziness!"
    The rest here:
    http://www.dangerhere.com/issues/worldcup/infamy.htm

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Yeah a tiny percentage to all the people who wouldn't shut up about the boxing etc when it was on. Where are they now?

Get into to the boxing for an hour off work, but when support requires any actual effort, fcuk it. Typical Irish. :rolleyes:

A lot of people were out to see them on Monday evening in their home towns. This farce today is just so Enda can get his photo taken. I'm sure the airport would have been mobbed on Monday too only people were told to stay away.

The athletes didn't even want this today, if they had a choice they wouldn't be there so you can't blame the people for thinking the same.

Bad Panda wrote: »

I think you're misunderstanding the type of 'support' athletes actually want.

I don't reckon being paraded in front of the mob on a makeshift stage is what they had in mind - more people attending actual sporting events and increased funding as a result of the upsurge in interest would be more far more desirable

• Advertisement

mobby wrote: »
    Boxing was one of the ancient Olympic Games, FYI. So thats a remarkable silly statement to make.

Professional boxers would easily beat the people that boxed for Ireland. That's the point.

:D:D the "olympic torch bearers" - what have they got to do with winning one medal. Why were they on stage.

OMG cringe-fest galore.
    Embarrassing.

Tope wrote: »
    What on earth are you talking about? An Olympic gold medal is about the highest achievement any athlete can hope for. You can't seriously be scoffing at that!

Not for a boxer. An athletics athlete or swimmer yes, not for a boxer.

Professional boxers would easily beat the people that boxed for Ireland. That's the point.
    Professional boxing is fought over a lot more rounds, different training and tactics particularly in regard to scoring punches.

Muhammad Ali, Amir Khan, Lennox Lewis, Roy Jones Jr, Evander Holyfield.....they all fought in the Olympics.....didn't do them any harm did it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Its Ireland, any organiser of an offical event is as useful as a fart in space

how many medals did the former soviet repuplic of kroftonova win?

While they don't get paid for the actual Olympics themselves, I don't think people like usain bolt could ever be considered an amateur.

They are though, whether you consider them to be or not doesn't matter.

Professional boxing is fought over a lot more rounds, different training and tactics particularly in regard to scoring punches.

Yeah but a professional boxer in the same weight category would beat let's say Paddy Barnes? If the answer is yes, then amateur boxing medals aren't worth as much as medals won in swimming or athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

el diablo wrote: »
    We won more medals than the likes of India, Argentina, Austria, Thailand, Egypt, Belgium, Finland, Bulgaria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Portugal, Greece and Morocco.

The might of Finland :rolleyes:

kfallon wrote: »
    Muhammad Ali, Amir Khan, Lennox Lewis, Roy Jones Jr, Evander Holyfield.....they all fought in the Olympics.....didn't do them any harm did it???

None at all, I said nothing about it causing harm.

A lot of boxers use the Olympics as a platform to boost their fame before they turn professional, so they earn more money.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anyone remember the homecoming from World Cup 2002 hosted by Joe Duffy? Is this one worse?

Hauntingly enough that sprung to mind.

Joe Duffy: "Now I heard the oppositiion's players were suffering from something called D.D.D. - Damien Duff Dizziness...haha"

Damien Duff: "Yeah Joe."

R.T.E. have been a joke since further back than 2002, 'homecomings' is one of those areas where they are most evidently found out. Those athletes deserve another medal and a hot meal for having to endure that shíte today.

Edit: Just seen your post further down with the exact quote. Mad though that we both harbour that harrowing memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Dubliner28 wrote: »

They have won over 300 Olympic Medals at the Summer Games, so yes - they are a mighty Olympic Nation.

Not so much this year, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

With a larger population than Ireland. A point which you seem determined to miss.

stankratz wrote: »
    Hauntingly enough that sprung to mind.

Joe Duffy: "Now I heard the oppositiion's players were suffering from something called D.D.D. - Damien Duff Dizziness...haha"

Damien Duff: "Yeah Joe."

R.T.E. have been a joke since further back than 2002, 'homecomings' is one of those areas where they are most evidently found out. Those athletes deserve another medal and a hot meal for having to endure that shíte today.

as i already said, the curry chips are now being served

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

mobby wrote: »

Good God I have seen some amount of dumb on the Internet but this wins the watch.(or should that be a gold medal!)

They are though, whether you consider them to be or not doesn't matter.

How is Usain Bolt an amateur? Have you seen what he charges for appearing at race meets? Then there's the prize money

Yeah but a professional boxer in the same weight category would beat let's say Paddy Barnes? If the answer is yes, then amateur boxing medals aren't worth as much as medals won in swimming or athletics.
    I've made the argument in Unpopular opinions that I regard athletics medals as worth more than boxing ones IMO......but not for the reasons you are outlining here.

If Paddy Barnes was to fight a pro over 12 rounds then yes, I'd imagine he'd be slaughtered. Over three rounds as in the Olympics...........probably much closer.

How often to pro boxers fight though? You couldn't expect a boxer to have 4 or 5 12 round fights over a 2 week period.

I've made the argument in Unpopular opinions that I regard athletics medals are worth more than boxing ones IMO......but not for the reasons you are outlining here.

If Paddy Barnes was to fight a pro over 12 rounds then yes, I'd imagine he'd be slaughtered. Over three rounds as in the Olympics...........probably much closer.

He'd still lose by a mile IMO. Amateur boxers wear a head shield as well.

It's an unpopular opinion and people don't want to hear it, but it's the truth. Olympic medals in boxing are not as valuable as the other sports in the olympics. And Ireland performed dreadfully in them

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Sickened I missed this, need a good laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

From the Joe Duffy articleXD

"Robbie, listen to the crowd. Aren't they great! Talk to them!"

Robbie: "What do you want me to say?"
    Even Duffy knew he couldn't tell Robbie what to say: "Just listen to them for a minute."

el diablo wrote: »
    We won more medals than the likes of India, Argentina, Austria, Thailand, Egypt, Belgium, Finland, Bulgaria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Portugal, Greece and Morocco.

To be fair, the Fins are putting all their eggs in the Ski Jump basket for 2014. They'll kick our asses in the winter olympics

yes most of them lost or were insignificant in their efforts - you could tell it all through the olypics - the irish media trying to justify them by saying Oh, they NEARLY got NEAR the first ten, blah blah blah, the desperation to put a good light on it was obvious.

As I said Katie was the draw this year - she got gold
    She had her celebration in Bray which was right.

She shouldn't have even bothered going to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

To be fair, the Fins are putting all their eggs in the Ski Jump basket for 2014. They'll kick our asses in the winter olympics

Well considering they get more snow all year around you would think so in fairness.:rolleyes:

Advertisement