Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Famous Homecoming

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

gara wrote: »
    I'm sure our elite Olympic athletes will lose sleep over an anonymous keyboard warrior on Boards not having heard of them. These people are at peak fitness and competing amongst the best sportspeople in the world while your whinging about daytime tv -I'd like to see you tell our non-winning boxers to their face what a 'waste of time' they are!

Why, because they would assault someone over it? As if. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Vizzy

yop wrote: »
    Do you honestly have a clue what you are talking about..... :rolleyes:

Go off and find us the facts and then come back to us with what really happened to the 3 women (yes 3 women not 'woman') who competed for Ireland.

Don't have to "go" anywhere.
    Grainne Murphy ( our swimmer) was sick with glandular fever apparently.
    If she was sick she shouldn't have been there,simple.
    Catriona Jennings( the marathon woman) was injured and should not have run.Purely from a sports injury point of view alone you will not argue with this.
    As I said,some of our athletes performed admirably but most didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm sure our elite Olympic athletes will lose sleep over an anonymous keyboard warrior on Boards not having heard of them. These people are at peak fitness and competing amongst the best sportspeople in the world while your whinging about daytime tv -I'd like to see you tell our non-winning boxers to their face what a 'waste of time' they are!

I would if I see them. But what are they going to do. They should be use to people say that kind of stuff to them

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Vizzy wrote: »
    Don't have to "go" anywhere.
    Grainne Murphy ( our swimmer) was sick with glandular fever apparently.
    If she was sick she shouldn't have been there,simple.
    Catriona Jennings( the marathon woman) was injured and should not have run.Purely from a sports injury point of view alone you will not argue with this.
    As I said,some of our athletes performed admirably but most didn't.

Since you didn't "go" then these are in fact the FACTS.
    You said we had one woman in the marthon, we had in fact 3.

The first 2 in were Linda Byrne and Ava Hutchinson. Byrne finished in 2:37.13 and Hutchinson 2:37.17. Find me how many club runners beat that time!
    Caitriona Jennings was at the Olympics when she developed the injury, so she took to the marathon even though she was in a lot of pain, admirable to say the very least. Plenty would pull the plug, so highlighting this as you did in your original post without actually outlining the reasons behind the time is sad really.

Send on the Olympic Ireland management your number, you seem to be able to "perform" better than "most" of the Irish team, best of luck to you in 2016.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Medals......wait till the aches and pains arrive long before their time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭Archeron

Any lighthouses we could name after Katie?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/14/trinidad-tobago-lighthouse-keshorn-walcott

It'll make up for putting her through that this afternoon.

We could change hook head to right hook to the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Any lighthouses we could name after Katie?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/14/trinidad-tobago-lighthouse-keshorn-walcott

It'll make up for putting her through that this afternoon.
    This article was amended on 15 August 2012. The original said that Walcott has been given a luxury new home in 20,000 acres and a free lighthouse. This has been corrected.

I lolled. Personally I'd love my own lighthouse, no end of fun turning it off at awkward moments :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Loads of people have wealth. How many have lighthouses? I bet Bill Gates or Warren Buffet don't own a lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I would just say to the "never-ending supporters" and all this farce about their big homecoming yesterday and the "supporters" going along with it.

I do hope you continue your support now and protest to the govt about no toilet facilities for a young female boxer who came home with a gold medal for Ireland. Would the govt not supply some basic hygiene facilities for her - after all she represented the country well and took gold for it.

You would see the "representatives of the country" up in Dail eireann running to the pub to go to the loo.

So c'mon all ye who are mad to go to all the "homecoming" events - lets show your REAL support - get the placards out and up to Dail Eireann with ye.

somehow I doubt ye will tho - ye're not THAT supportive. are ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

And the initial comment also came from a guy who calls himself after a professional wrestler, you know the 'sport' where the outcome is predetermined before every bout and the wrestlers have more drugs in them than all the Olympins combined!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Sea Filly wrote: »
    They are though, whether you consider them to be or not doesn't matter.
    The only Olympic sports that retain amateur status are boxing and wrestling, as decided by their respective Federations for the reasons of safety (apparently).

The reason that the amateur status was removed was that the Soviet (and other Communist) athletes were professional in all but name (and money) and therefore the amateur status was abandoned to ensure competitivity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I would just say to the "never-ending supporters" and all this farce about their big homecoming yesterday and the "supporters" going along with it.

I do hope you continue your support now and protest to the govt about no toilet facilities for a young female boxer who came home with a gold medal for Ireland. Would the govt not supply some basic hygiene facilities for her - after all she represented the country well and took gold for it.

You would see the "representatives of the country" up in Dail eireann running to the pub to go to the loo.

So c'mon all ye who are mad to go to all the "homecoming" events - lets show your REAL support - get the placards out and up to Dail Eireann with ye.

Do sports fans lobby for their beloved athletes anywhere else in the world or do you just want to have a go at people who supported Irish athletes?

Ps dont let the Eircom League Soccer heads see the above. They dont protest at the Dail but are the only real supporters around.

kfallon wrote: »
    And the initial comment also came from a guy who calls himself after a professional wrestler, you know the 'sport' where the outcome is predetermined before every bout and the wrestlers have more drugs in them than all the Olympins combined!

Begrudgery begrudgery begrudgery. Seems to be all most on this site like to do when it comes to those more talented than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

A child has been lodged in the Tunnel of Goats… If a nurse could please come to the Tunnel of Goats… A goat and a child have now become lodged together, and a nurse has become involved in the incident… Another nurse is required to remove the nurse mentioned previously…

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭dukedalton

Where did you get these quotes about "never ending supporters"? Did you make them up yourself? Why should people be THAT supportive? I'm entitled to support whoever and whatever I want, to whatever degree of involvement suits me. The fact is that in any walk of life you will have a minority of die hards and a majority which are passive. I'm sure plenty of the people who went to Bray to see Katie Taylor knew little or nothing about boxing and wouldn't consider themselves to be "never ending supporters", but just went to see the athlete and celebrate her achievement with her. You seem to be saying that anyone who showed their face are therefore obligated to get behind any and every cause related to her, hook line and sinker. Why should they?!

• Advertisement

dukedalton wrote: »
    Why should people be THAT supportive? I'm entitled to support whoever and whatever I want, to whatever degree of involvement suits me. The fact is that in any walk of life you will have a minority of die hards and a majority which are passive. I'm sure plenty of the people who went to Bray to see Katie Taylor knew little or nothing about boxing, but just went to see the athlete and celebrate her achievement with her. You seem to be saying that those people are therefore obligated to get behind any and every cause related to her, hook line and sinker. Why should they?!

not talking about Bray - in fact Bray was the only thing that SHOULD have happened.

not talking about Bray - in fact Bray was the only thing that SHOULD have happened.

Who/what are you talking about then? Who are these so-called "never ending supporters"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Begrudgery begrudgery begrudgery. Seems to be all most on this site like to do when it comes to those more talented than them.

In a lot of cases you'd question what's there to begrudge, 17th in a heat? Lapped in a 10k? Last in a marathon? Begrudgery seems to be the stock reply when somebody criticises any Irish sporting performance. My take on it is that a significant number of our athletes did struggle in London. That's not a criticism of them, its a fact that I'm sure they themselves would agree with. However like we say every four years, lets hope they take from the experience and it stands to those who compete at the next games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

In a lot of cases you'd question what's there to begrudge, 17th in a heat? Lapped in a 10k? Last in a marathon?

Wow. Just wow. THEY QUALIFIED FOR THE OLYMPICS -do you have any concept of how big an achievement that is in itself or the sacrifices involved to even get there?

Honestly, so many armchair critics around here -how many marathons or Olympics have you competed in? We'd have a lot more medals if some people here put the same amount of energy into training as they do moaning about those who are already trying their hearts out

Wow. Just wow. THEY QUALIFIED FOR THE OLYMPICS -do you have any concept of how big an achievement that is in itself or the sacrifices involved to even get there?

Honestly, so many armchair critics around here -how many marathons or Olympics have you competed in? We'd have a lot more medals if some people here put the same amount of energy into training as they do moaning about those who are already trying their hearts out

Yes, of course it's an achievement, but the point is it's a personal achievement- and one for which those atheletes should be proud. But does that personal achievement warrant a full scale homecoming ceremony? In my opinion, no it does not.

• Advertisement

gara
    your'e missing the whole point of this thread.

its about the hours and hours and hours of endless talk talk talk for days days days about them. They couldn't add anything else so they kept on repeating the same oul tripe on the hour every hour. And no, they couldn't leave the winners to go home to their families despite their exhaustion, they still had to beat a dead horse by dragging them back again for more sh*te.
    :rolleyes:

its actually NOT about the olympians - fair play to them.

Maybe you should read the posts again.

Fishy Fishy, what point are you trying to make on this thread? On the one hand you're criticising the people who turned out to support the athletes at the homecoming for not picketing Leinster House on their behalf; on the other hand you're saying the Irish media gave too much time to the Irish athletes!

Fishy Fishy, what point are you trying to make on this thread? On the one hand you're criticising the people who turned out to support the athletes at the homecoming for not picketing Leinster House on their behalf; on the other hand you're saying the Irish media gave too much time to the Irish athletes!

main point was that the media had us all nearly jumping out six story buildings every hour with their "news" which basically repeated the same stuff over a matter of days.....CONSTANTLY. You couldn't get away from it.

But when I mentioned this you had all the "supporters" going crazy and would not accept the fact that it might have been a bit of overkill.

The proof was obvious yesterday at the "homecoming" when they had to adjust figures from 20,000 down to a couple of hundred and cut the live coverage short by half an hour. By that stage people had had enough and it was obvious to anyone that it was completely OTT and overkill - except for the ones that just couldn't' get enough.

Except for the ones screaming for more....who I then suggested might to up and show their "support" by highlighting the fact that there was no bathroom facilities for a female athlete. It would be better to show support that way, if they wanted - at least they might highlight it a bit - everyones a winner then. :D but I didn't see anyone to step up to the mark on it (pardon the pun)

I see. Well to be fair, the summer is always slow news-wise, the Olympics is the biggest sporting show on earth, so it's not a suprise that it featured quite a bit on the news.

I see. Well to be fair, the summer is always slow news-wise, the Olympics is the biggest sporting show on earth, so it's not a suprise that it featured quite a bit on the news.

ah, they can find plenty of news if they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

ah, they can find plenty of news if they want

As long as its not more McGill Summer School. The news crowds love that sh1t

As said above, the summer is quiet for news usually do stuff like Olympics, World Cups etc are always going to get a load of coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What are you Wowing about? You missed the point I was making, I wasn't detracting from the achievement of reaching a games I was pointing out that many of the athletes will be disappointed with their performances, you can't deny that. People begrudge success not failure.

I'm not an armchair critic either, I competed as a cross country and middle distance runner with Ballyskenagh AC and Tullamore Harriers for over ten years. I know how difficult the sport is, a lonely thankless discipline which demands complete dedication.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I know how difficult the sport is, a lonely thankless discipline which demands complete dedication.

And recognition. Which all the athletes deserve for their efforts. Goodness knows there's enough to be miserable about without moaning about a positive event that brings a bit of joy every 4 years too.

Seriously, why are you banging on about failure at a time of celebration? Some people really just see the negative in everything :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:D i loved the accents on display.....

des cahill with his midlands mumble, annolise murphy with her posh middle class south dublin tones, katie with her howiya voice, the two nordie boys with their incomprehensible twang and of course....john joe;)

it was like something out of Father Ted you had to laugh

gara
    your'e missing the whole point of this thread.

its about the hours and hours and hours of endless talk talk talk for days days days about them. They couldn't add anything else so they kept on repeating the same oul tripe on the hour every hour. And no, they couldn't leave the winners to go home to their families despite their exhaustion, they still had to beat a dead horse by dragging them back again for more sh*te.
    :rolleyes:

its actually NOT about the olympians - fair play to them.

Maybe you should read the posts again.

I think you should have a read of your own posts as above you say that it is the homecoming that you are complaining about yet a few posts on and its the constant coverage of the actual Olympics that has you riled. I'd suggest sitting down and coming up with a consistent line of begrudgery before you post as mixing them up only serves to show your motivations.

• Advertisement
Advertisement