Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Eagle .223 ammo

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hi lads jus waiting on my substitution to come through for my new .223.

I'll be buying 100 rounds fr the breaking in period and cheap ammo will do for that. I know people have been very impressed with the performance of the AE hollow point 55gr ammo and I am wondering does the AE 55gr FMJ perform similar?

The ammo will only be used for punching paper so I don't need it to perform as a hunting round, if it groups well I'll be happy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

I was using the 55grain FMJ's in my CZ527 Varmint and they grouped really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

Did you try the hollow point ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I've used the hollow point in a 1 in 8" tikka .223 and they are good.

Can't recall ever using the FMJ or if I did I never went back to them anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭johnfaul

I have tried these 50 hp in a 1-8" sako they were great for fox shooting, but were eclipsed by norma 50g vmax which were superb for crows and head shooting rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Tikkat3

Vegeta wrote: »
    I've used the hollow point in a 1 in 8" tikka .223 and they are good.

Can't recall ever using the FMJ or if I did I never went back to them anyway

I've used the FMJ in a Tikka for paper punching during break in and they grouped pretty well.

Cant see you going far wrong for the money either. About €10-11 a box if I remeber correctly.

Best of luck with the new rifle :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

It might not be the ammo that made the grouping poor at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

When I had a 223 Rem 700, I found the 55gr FMJ ok, but if you can get the 50gr flat base, they might be worth a try. They grouped much better for me. Maybe they suited the 1-12 twist better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I have used both. I loved the HP and shot a 1/2" group with them at 300 yards.

The FMJ I found were crap at 100 yards. Like a shotgun. I have sold my .223 and the lad that bought it shot the FMJ at 300 yards and got a 1.5 inch group or less, I can't fully remember.

I don't know if the CZ 1-9 didn't fully stabilise them until further out or if he was lucky :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

It might not be the ammo that made the grouping poor at all :D

You can talk CAPTAIN ZERO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Mike87

My first 223 came with 1000 (yes, one thousand) american eagle FMJ's. After shooting every single one of them heres my opinion.

If its some very general target shooting then you'll probably squeeze about 200yards out of them. They be accurate-ish at 150-200.... but forget any hopes for precision. Your looking at anywhere from a 3-7 inch scattering.

200 is about the furthest you are going to get.

At 100 they arent the worst. I could still easily outshoot them with my CZ 22lr.

Now heres what I found. I honestly think it all comes back to whoevers working the factory. I found that I might one box that would be nice and accurate and then I might get 4 boxes of absolute rubbish. Then you get another 2 good boxes. And then you might have to go through 3 more boxes to get another decent box.

In my opinion. THey are only really worth getting if you just want to break in a new barrel, want some cheap ammo so you can work on your form and thats about it really.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say.

I often wonder about some people (not directed at anybody in particular). But I often hear lads saying "my rifle loves American Eagles and wont take anything else". hmmmm is that the wallet talking or the rifle? I really have to wonder about that.

Theres a video on youtube with some yank taking the american eagle FMJs apart on his reloading bench and showing you just how incosistant the powder weight is and the head weights. At the end of it you were left wondering how on earth can they sell this rubbish... but as the guy said, most of these dirt cheap rounds are designed to be put into a semi-auto and shot at targets under 100 yards in a "spray and pray" fashion. THey arent match rounds, and shouldnt be used as match rounds.

Thanks for the info lads there seems to be mixed reviews...plenty good enough for breaking in a barrel though so fingers crossed I can get reasonable groups out of them to help me keep the breaking in procedure some bit interesting! :P

patsat wrote: »
    Thanks for the info lads there seems to be mixed reviews...plenty good enough for breaking in a barrel though so fingers crossed I can get reasonable groups out of them to help me keep the breaking in procedure some bit interesting! :P

Just put your backstop/target at 100yards when your breaking-in and it will be decent enough.

Maybe Im getting you mixed up with someone else but are you the guy that has the 25-06/flamethrower :D

Nope that was my .22-250! My .25-06 is a thing of beauty! :P

50gr hollow points group good in my 223, and a good fox round. nothin to do with the price of them. they shoot well cheap is a bonus. tried fmj once pure crap

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Don't you have a shortish barrel on your .25-06 patsat? Speaking as someone else with one, it is most certainly a flamethrower!

Don't you have a shortish barrel on your .25-06 patsat? Speaking as someone else with one, it is most certainly a flamethrower!

True but I always fire it with the mod on so its not noticable. Mike87 was referring to the picture of the muzzle flash off my .22-250!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

patsat wrote: »
    True but I always fire it with the mod on so its not noticable. Mike87 was referring to the picture of the muzzle flash off my .22-250!

Ah right. Must take a twilight photo of my unmodded .25 sometime. It looks like the dragon from Dr No!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ruger1894c

Today i was shooting some of these fmj and they had two splits in the cases after firing from half way up the case..this happened twice from the one box wasnt happy to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wolf 999

saw some .233 ammo for sale Tulammo steel case 62gr fmj at 7 euro for 20 anyone ever try these are they any good oh!and made in russia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Advertisement