Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arctic sea ice heads for record low

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's interesting to compare the ice reports from the synop data of two ships in the Arctic at the moment - the German Polarstern and the USCGC Healy.

The Polarstern set sail from northern Norway in August and has been between 80 and 85 °N and as far east as 137 °E, in the Laptev Sea, while the Healy is in an area far north of the Bering Strait, between 78 - 82 °N and 140-160 °W.

The thickest sea ice reported by the Polarstern was very close 7-8 okta medium-thick first year fast ice at 82.9 °N, while the Healy is currently encountering similar at around 80.6 °N.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Su Campu wrote: »
    A downward trend in summer extent actually began after the 50s, during the relative global cooling period pre-70s, and has accelerated in recent decades, as you would expect with the cumulative effect of proportionately more sea surrounding increasingly less ice. This therefore hints that it was something more than anthropogenic forcing that started this trend. I'm saying that if you look closer it is more marked during warm AMO, but also after a warm PDO, which has become more dominant in recent centuries, and around 20% more so in the last 100 years or so (around 57 warm years versus 47 cold). This warmer bias could be the reason for the increasingly downward trend we see in the chart above. You showed the AMO can account for up to 30% of the difference, and I'm just pointing out another pattern in the records that is fairly obvious to anyone looking at it objectively, eyeballing or not.

PDO reconstruction from 990 to present day.

800px-PDO1000yr.svg.png

Have you a link for that graph?

The graph itself shows perhaps the idea of the PDO following 30 year oscillations is a little daft! The issue I have with the PDO contributing to warming or cooling, I that the PDO itself is just a change in the distribution of SST anomalies as worked out through principal component analysis, and should not add to or take away from global or Arctic temperatures. ENSO on the other hand is a switch from +ve to -ve SST anomalies and vice verso, and so does influence global temps.
    The drop levelling off and slight drop in temps from the 40s to 70s has also been attributed to increased aerosol pollution, and so trend spotting with short time-spans like that is pointless, especially when the mechanism for the PDO/global temperatures link has yet to be properly fleshed out.

Antarctic sea ice is doing very well anyway, currently highest on record for the time of year, and second overall to 2007. Unfortunately, it's not enough to balance the Arctic ice loss.

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Have you a link for that graph?

The graph itself shows perhaps the idea of the PDO following 30 year oscillations is a little daft! The issue I have with the PDO contributing to warming or cooling, I that the PDO itself is just a change in the distribution of SST anomalies as worked out through principal component analysis, and should not add to or take away from global or Arctic temperatures. ENSO on the other hand is a switch from +ve to -ve SST anomalies and vice verso, and so does influence global temps.
    The drop levelling off and slight drop in temps from the 40s to 70s has also been attributed to increased aerosol pollution, and so trend spotting with short time-spans like that is pointless, especially when the mechanism for the PDO/global temperatures link has yet to be properly fleshed out.

Antarctic sea ice is doing very well anyway, currently highest on record for the time of year, and second overall to 2007. Unfortunately, it's not enough to balance the Arctic ice loss.

The graph is off Wikipedia, based on the following study.

http://www.agu.org/journals/ABS/2005/2005GL022478.shtml

It also cites these in reference to PDO reconstructions for various periods.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/pubs/biondi2001/biondi2001.html
    http://www.agu.org/journals/ABS/2006/2005GL024804.shtml
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006IJCli..26.1607D

That graph is not much use on a decadal scale alright, which is why I posted this monthly one in my original post.

640px-PDO.svg.png

I'm not sure why you say the PDO cannot affect the Arctic as it too is an alternating distribution pattern of SST anomalies. It is possible that the strengthening effect of the warm PDO on the Aleutian Low will cause higher Arctic melt in the westerly latitudes, and possibly more meridionality in the pattern upstream over northern Europe and Asia, where we are seeing the greatest retreat. Just because this link has not been "fleshed out" doesn not mean it doesn't exist and should not at least be looked at.

The graph is off Wikipedia, based on the following study.

http://www.agu.org/journals/ABS/2005/2005GL022478.shtml

It also cites these in reference to PDO reconstructions for various periods.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/paleo/pubs/biondi2001/biondi2001.html
    http://www.agu.org/journals/ABS/2006/2005GL024804.shtml
    http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2006IJCli..26.1607D

That graph is not much use on a decadal scale alright, which is why I posted this monthly one in my original post.

640px-PDO.svg.png

I'm not sure why you say the PDO cannot affect the Arctic as it too is an alternating distribution pattern of SST anomalies. It is possible that the strengthening effect of the warm PDO on the Aleutian Low will cause higher Arctic melt in the westerly latitudes, and possibly more meridionality in the pattern upstream over northern Europe and Asia, where we are seeing the greatest retreat. Just because this link has not been "fleshed out" doesn not mean it doesn't exist and should not at least be looked at.

Cheers.

I agree that all possibilities should be looked into, including the PDO. But so far little research has suggested a strong link with the Arctic ice. It's great to theorise on possible links between the two, but that could really be done with anything. With the atmosphere as complicated a it is, evidence is needed to be actual science.
    I'm actually doing a little work on the sea ice/PDO relationship at the moment, so I'll post up some of the results when I've a little more done, but with my masters starting soon, I'm not sure how much time I'll have...

Your second graph doesn't really show a clear +ve or -ve phase before the 30s, so I guess it may be a little hard to tell whether or not we should expect the current -ve phase to continue for much longer anyway.

It would appear that Notx and Marotzke have beaten us to it in a paper from this year, and while the PDO does have an influence, it doesn't on a long term.
    [27] The indices of the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) (Figure 4d) and of the Arctic Oscillation (AO) (Figure 4e) show only a very weak direct impact on the observed sea-ice retreat. These factors contribute of course to the evolution of sea-ice extent, but the weak long-term relationship is indicative of their only secondary importance for the long-term evolution of sea-ice extent. We also examined a possible correlation of these indices with year-to-year changes but found no significant correlation, either.

• Advertisement

Besides, the PDO averaged out over all available years is actually slightly below 0, showing once more why eyeballing graphs with something as complex as climate is completely futile.

Here's a link to the data http://jisao.washington.edu/pdo/PDO.latest

Actually, the average actually comes out as +0.008! :P

Actually, the average actually comes out as +0.008! :P

Hmmmm....
    Ah, I see! When working out the average, my data started at row 5, but I must have accidently tapped "5" twice, as the figure was from row 55 to 117!

Interesting though, that this August was the 3rd most -ve on record, and this summer (June-Aug) the 5th most -ve on record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

S_timeseries.png

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Not sure if its mentioned before.
    Has ayone done a study on the effect of icebreaker? If there is more of the ice getting broken up it is helping expose more water thus increesing the amount of water availabe to absorbe heat.
    Tiny surface area of the total I Know, But maybe the most direct way mans is having an effect on the ice sheets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was waiting for the Antartic to show up. :)

A 10,000 Year Temperature Reconstruction was recently derived from a 1000 Ft Long Ice Core ...364m. It shows that excursions in temperatures, upwards, are not recent. However that was when the real fun started.

An article in Nature, based on the core science remarks of the temp rises in the past 100 years that: "The high rate of warming over the past century is unusual (but not unprecedented) in the context of natural climate variability over the past two millennia."

Indeed, it is a 10,000 year core so why concentrate on the last 2,000 one might ask. ??

However a PR released just before publication stated that the past 100 years were "unprecedented" followed by "very unusual" and now reads as plain old "unusual".

As The Register notes in a long piece on the story (they who watched the PR flip flop in real time and reported on the core itself) about the plaintive permacry of Global Warming.

"What this episode does show is just how blindly and unquestioningly the general scientific and media communities believe in the idea of carbon-driven climate apocalypse: the mindset of the PR staffer who wrote that press release and the various journalists who have uncritically reprocessed it is more reminiscent of religion than of science."

And now, the fat lady herself below and the full nature piece here

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v489/n7414/full/nature11391.html

From the Nature Piece.
    Here we show that the Antarctic Peninsula experienced an early-Holocene warm period followed by stable temperatures, from about 9,200 to 2,500 years ago, that were similar to modern-day levels. Our temperature estimates are based on an ice-core record of deuterium variations from James Ross Island, off the northeastern tip of the Antarctic Peninsula. We find that the late-Holocene development of ice shelves near James Ross Island was coincident with pronounced cooling from 2,500 to 600 years ago. This cooling was part of a millennial-scale climate excursion with opposing anomalies on the eastern and western sides of the Antarctic Peninsula. Although warming of the northeastern Antarctic Peninsula began around 600 years ago, the high rate of warming over the past century is unusual (but not unprecedented) in the context of natural climate variability over the past two millennia.

peninsula_max.jpg

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I was waiting for the Antartic to show up. :)

A 10,000 Year Temperature Reconstruction was recently derived from a 1000 Ft Long Ice Core ...364m. It shows that excursions in temperatures, upwards, are not recent. However that was when the real fun started.

An article in Nature, based on the core science remarks of the temp rises in the past 100 years that: "The high rate of warming over the past century is unusual (but not unprecedented) in the context of natural climate variability over the past two millennia."

Indeed, it is a 10,000 year core so why concentrate on the last 2,000 one might ask. ??

However a PR released just before publication stated that the past 100 years were "unprecedented" followed by "very unusual" and now reads as plain old "unusual".

As The Register notes in a long piece on the story (they who watched the PR flip flop in real time and reported on the core itself) about the plaintive permacry of Global Warming.

"What this episode does show is just how blindly and unquestioningly the general scientific and media communities believe in the idea of carbon-driven climate apocalypse: the mindset of the PR staffer who wrote that press release and the various journalists who have uncritically reprocessed it is more reminiscent of religion than of science."

And now, the fat lady herself below and the full nature piece here

From the Nature Piece.

I'm afraid I'm a little uncertain as to which parts you're quoting and which parts are your own opinion?

But anyway

A quick read of the abstract from the link provided shows they didn't

"Here we show that the Antarctic Peninsula experienced an early-Holocene warm period followed by stable temperatures, from about 9,200 to 2,500 years ago, that were similar to modern-day levels."

The register itself is spreading the lie. It claims the Antarctic warming is nothing unusual, when the abstract from the study claims the exact opposite (unusual but not unprecedented))!

The the register claims this little nugget
    As is plain from the graphs, it has often been hotter than it is now at Ross Island during the past 10,000 years - today's temperatures are nothing exceptional. The idea that they must result from man-made carbon emissions doesn't, on the face of it, seem that credible.

There is little scientific reasoning in the above quote. Climate changes based on whatever drives it, the current main driver being anthropogenic CO2.

As for who's lying
    The Nature Article says warming over the past 2 century is unusual (but not unprecedented)
    The British Antarctic Survey Arcticle said it was unprecedented, then unusual
    The register claims the warming is nothing unusual

It seems clear to me who's doing the most lying! The BAS updated the article straight after they we're informed of their mistakes (I know who emailed them about it), whereas the Register still have their lies and nonsense in place for over a month.

To be honest, what this demonstrates to me quite clearly is the double standards, hypocrisy and and plain ignorance and idiocy that makes up so much of AGW denial.
    But hey, whatever the author needs to generate a some good ol' controversy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

To be honest, what this demonstrates to me quite clearly is the double standards, hypocrisy and and plain ignorance and idiocy that makes up so much of AGW denial.
    But hey, whatever the author needs to generate a some good ol' controversy!

You may also notice this thread is a microcosm of the normal flow events

1. There's nothing happening.

2. Ok your multiple data sources say something is happening but I found this one other data that says nothing is happening and I like it better.

3. Ok all the data not says something is happening but anyway it's all natural.

4. Hey look at this other thing. Also nothing happening there either and it's all natural too.

odyboody wrote: »
    Has ayone done a study on the effect of icebreaker? If there is more of the ice getting broken up it is helping expose more water thus increesing the amount of water availabe to absorbe heat.
    Tiny surface area of the total I Know, But maybe the most direct way mans is having an effect on the ice sheets

That is something I was looking at but to be honest I can't see icebreakers having much of an effect, if any. The only two I know of in the Arctic are Polarstern and USCGC Healy, and I've been tracking them for the past month. Their synop reports show that most of the time they've been in conditions ranging from open water to close first year ice, with the Polartstern now stationary in fast ice, reported medium-thick first year and some old ice, at 87.9 °N, 145 miles south of the Pole. Healy is in similar conditions and reporting it difficult to penetrate, but at only 80 °N, north of Alaska, showing the wide variation between the eastern and western Arctic.

I suppose their presence is certainly not helping the situation, but seeing as most of their journey is breaking through first year ice then that would be of little consequence. But of course the Polarstern has been doing this up there since 1983, so who knows if breaking all that old ice in earlier years is now having an effect.

odyboody wrote: »

I've had discussions about this before, but I don't think on this forum. When the ice-breaker moves through the ice, it pushes the ice out to the side, rather than eliminating it completely. Most of the time, the path left open will close up from the wind and ocean currents anyway.
    But suppose the ice did stay open and was eliminated from the overall extent, even if a ship breaks the ice up by 50m wide along their tracks, a 2,000 km trip might only open up about 0.1km2 of ice in total.
    Put in the context of the lowest ice extent on record, ~3,370,000km2, you get the idea of how insignificant they are.

None of my bits are in quotes MiNdGaM3

there would be no Reg story had the BAS PR Not grossly overegged the significance of the past 100 years .

Antartic Sea Ice (not land ice but sea ice) is at its greatest ever recorded seasonal extent for this day of the cycle today (see yellow line Here from the Uni Of Illnois) not that I'll bother starting a thread on that mkays!!! Most of the other records seem to have been set in recent years. Yes it could have been caused by better satellites but it is a record.

To this :(
    As for who's lying
    The Nature Article says warming over the past 2 century is unusual (but not unprecedented)
    The British Antarctic Survey Arcticle said it was unprecedented, then unusual
    The register claims the warming is nothing unusual

You have a very confused description there.

The NATURE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY BAS SCIENTISTS, to Nature standards obviously. Click on the contributor names in there.

I have no issue whatsoever with the Nature Article.

The Nature article states that temps were stable for 1000s of years, then underwent a "pronounced cooling from 2,500 to 600 years ago" started to stabilise/rise 600 years ago and recovered rapidly in the past 100 years to the level they are at TODAY.

That modern level is the same as it was 2500 years ago and for 1000s of years before that. :D

The PR was then written by the BAS and put on their website baldly stating something that was NOT IN the Nature Article. They stated the rise in the last 100 years ALONE was "Unprecedented" ...leaving out the qualifier in the Nature article.

When this anomaly was pointed out to the BAS the PR was reworded by the BAS from "Unprecedented" to "Very Unusual" and then a second time to "Unusual"..same as what the Nature article said.

The person who wrote and rewrote the PR on the BAS website is the only person who LIED!

The rewording of the PR (twice) is the story, especially as El Reg caught them and catching PR BS is something it does rather well as a specialty.

The science itself is very interesting of course, not every day we get a 10,000 year Paleoclimatological Record is it???

Never mind what The Register says, it does seem strange that the BAS - body actually responsible for the research - misrepresented their findings to the public like that. Clerical error? I think not.

Anyway, I wonder what the mechanism is that's causing this exceptional warming in an otherwise cooling continent. Thermohaline overturning maybe?

None of my bits are in quotes MiNdGaM3

there would be no Reg story had the BAS PR Not grossly overegged the significance of the past 100 years .

Antartic Sea Ice (not land ice but sea ice) is at its greatest ever recorded seasonal extent for this day of the cycle today (see yellow line Here from the Uni Of Illnois) not that I'll bother starting a thread on that mkays!!! Most of the other records seem to have been set in recent years. Yes it could have been caused by better satellites but it is a record.

To this :(

You have a very confused description there.

The NATURE ARTICLE WAS WRITTEN BY BAS SCIENTISTS, to Nature standards obviously. Click on the contributor names in there.

I have no issue whatsoever with the Nature Article.

The Nature article states that temps were stable for 1000s of years, then underwent a "pronounced cooling from 2,500 to 600 years ago" started to stabilise/rise 600 years ago and recovered rapidly in the past 100 years to the level they are at TODAY.

That modern level is the same as it was 2500 years ago and for 1000s of years before that. :D

The PR was then written by the BAS and put on their website baldly stating something that was NOT IN the Nature Article. They stated the rise in the last 100 years ALONE was "Unprecedented" ...leaving out the qualifier in the Nature article.

When this anomaly was pointed out to the BAS the PR was reworded by the BAS from "Unprecedented" to "Very Unusual" and then a second time to "Unusual"..same as what the Nature article said.

The person who wrote and rewrote the PR on the BAS website is the only person who LIED!

The rewording of the PR (twice) is the story, especially as El Reg caught them and catching PR BS is something it does rather well as a specialty.

The science itself is very interesting of course, not every day we get a 10,000 year Paleoclimatological Record is it???

I've no issue with the Antarctic record sea ice, this a positive, is a slightly confusing one as nobody seems to have a good grasp on why it's occurring.

The description I gave was quite clear I thought... and accurate?
    The BAS article was reporting on the Nature Journal Article, and The Register was reporting on both.
    The BAS article initially exaggerated the how unusual recent warming was, but then changed it.
    The Register flat out lied about how unusual the recent warming was, but didn't bother to change anything.

The register didn't catch them, a poster on Netweather did! We were discussing the BAS article on the Nature paper the day it came out and spotted the error. He emailed them, and they amended it.

I admit it was a bad move on there part (the BAS article that is), trying to hype up the importance of the work, but I don't see much more to it than that. I imagine they got a little over-excited, twas kind of a big thing!

But the nonsense that The Register tries to link with it, is pure silly. Especially when they say the opposite to what the Nature paper says, then chastise the BAS article for exaggerating!

I admit it was a bad move on there part (the BAS article that is), trying to hype up the importance of the work, but I don't see much more to it than that. I imagine they got a little over-excited, twas kind of a big thing!

Really? I don't see it as hyping up the importance of their work, that's fairly obvious already. They misrepresented the basic finding of the study, using the word "unprecedented", which is a hell of a lot different to "unusual"! Did they really need to try to hype up the findings that much as to change them....only to have to change them back?!

I agree that the Register is wrong too, but you must admit that the BAS's antics are were equally wrong.

Really? I don't see it as hyping up the importance of their work, that's fairly obvious already. They misrepresented the basic finding of the study, using the word "unprecedented", which is a hell of a lot different to "unusual"! Did they really need to try to hype up the findings that much as to change them....only to have to change them back?!

I agree that the Register is wrong too, but you must admit that the BAS's antics are were equally wrong.

I admit the BAS articles was wrong. No issue with that. They shouldn't have exaggerated/mis-represented the work, it was a silly move, especially when the actual paper was there for all to see.
    But these are intelligent folk, and if they really wanted to trick people or anything like that, they would have done a better job, especially as everything on the internet is picked apart these days in search for a little controversy! Hence the most obvious reason to me is simply a mistake.

The only way I would say that they are, relatively, equally wrong (with regards to the unprecedented/unusual comment) is because we should hold the BAS to a higher standard.

I admit the BAS articles was wrong. No issue with that. They shouldn't have exaggerated/mis-represented the work, it was a silly move, especially when the actual paper was there for all to see.
    But these are intelligent folk, and if they really wanted to trick people or anything like that, they would have done a better job, especially as everything on the internet is picked apart these days in search for a little controversy! Hence the most obvious reason to me is simply a mistake.

The only way I would say that they are, relatively, equally wrong (with regards to the unprecedented/unusual comment) is because we should hold the BAS to a higher standard.

Exactly.

• Advertisement

I've no issue with the Antarctic record sea ice, this a positive, is a slightly confusing one as nobody seems to have a good grasp on why it's occurring.

Increasing Antarctic Sea Ice under Warming Atmospheric and Oceanic Conditions [Zhang 2007]

sharper wrote: »

Cheers. Do you know if the model results have been confirmed by observations at all?

I've seen a few others, mentioning changes induced by the ozone hole, increasing snowfall, it being a cycle with only particular areas around the continent experiencing gains... and I'm sure a few other reasons!
    Perhaps one or many of those explanations are correct

Cheers. Do you know if the model results have been confirmed by observations at all?

I've seen a few others, mentioning changes induced by the ozone hole, increasing snowfall, it being a cycle with only particular areas around the continent experiencing gains... and I'm sure a few other reasons!
    Perhaps one or many of those explanations are correct

Well the thing is both the Arctic and Antarctic cover a wide area. Our intuitive view of the poles is basically two dead blocks of ice with nothing going on in them when in reality there are a lot of complex processes at play.

The issue is how each responds to warming, and there is no question each is warming. People like to present the Anarctic sea ice chart as if either somehow balances out losses in the Arctic or it refutes the idea the region or the planet are warming.

That paper dealt with the oceans mostly (I don't know what the state of observations are there, the Antarctic is generally poorly understood) but there are plenty of other factors too:

-The Antarctic Circumpolar Current is effected by warming temperatures which increase their speed. This current is what isolates the Antarctic from the warmer southern oceans. Stronger currents, more isolation.

-The Antarctic land ice is losing mass. The charts posted here all concern the sea ice.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm

Antarctica_Ice_Mass.gif
    Figure 2: Ice mass changes for the Antarctic ice sheet from April 2002 to February 2009. Unfiltered data are blue crosses. Data filtered for the seasonal dependence are red crosses. The best-fitting quadratic trend is shown as the green line (Velicogna 2009).
    If the Southern Ocean is warming, why is Antarctic sea ice increasing? There are several contributing factors. One is the drop in ozone levels over Antarctica. The hole in the ozone layer above the South Pole has caused cooling in the stratosphere (Gillet 2003). This strengthens the cyclonic winds that circle the Antarctic continent (Thompson 2002). The wind pushes sea ice around, creating areas of open water known as polynyas. More polynyas lead to increased sea ice production (Turner 2009).

Another contributor is changes in ocean circulation. The Southern Ocean consists of a layer of cold water near the surface and a layer of warmer water below. Water from the warmer layer rises up to the surface, melting sea ice. However, as air temperatures warm, the amount of rain and snowfall also increases. This freshens the surface waters, leading to a surface layer less dense than the saltier, warmer water below. The layers become more stratified and mix less. Less heat is transported upwards from the deeper, warmer layer. Hence less sea ice is melted (Zhang 2007).

sharper wrote: »
    Well the thing is both the Arctic and Antarctic cover a wide area. Our intuitive view of the poles is basically two dead blocks of ice with nothing going on in them when in reality there are a lot of complex processes at play.

The issue is how each responds to warming, and there is no question each is warming. People like to present the Anarctic sea ice chart as if either somehow balances out losses in the Arctic or it refutes the idea the region or the planet are warming.

That paper dealt with the oceans mostly (I don't know what the state of observations are there, the Antarctic is generally poorly understood) but there are plenty of other factors too:

-The Antarctic Circumpolar Current is effected by warming temperatures which increase their speed. This current is what isolates the Antarctic from the warmer southern oceans. Stronger currents, more isolation.

-The Antarctic land ice is losing mass. The charts posted here all concern the sea ice.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm

Antarctica_Ice_Mass.gif

I'm aware of most of that, but thanks anyway!
    Whatever the reasons causing the extra ice (though I don't think the upward trend is statistically significant quite yet), we can certainly say it's not from cooling.
    221302.gif

The register didn't catch them, a poster on Netweather did! We were discussing the BAS article on the Nature paper the day it came out and spotted the error. He emailed them, and they amended it.

But the nonsense that The Register tries to link with it, is pure silly. Especially when they say the opposite to what the Nature paper says, then chastise the BAS article for exaggerating!

Thats for telling us about all this at the time. Nothing like a bit of a paleoclimatic microscandal to whet ones appetite at breakfast.

Needless to say I don't spend my life on denial sites waiting for that lot to go off on one. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭srmambo

Looks like the sea ice has settled to a minimum according to the National snow and ice data centre

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2012/09/arctic-sea-ice-extent-settles-at-record-seasonal-minimum/

Although it is preliminary so a change in weather conditions could add a minor extension to the melt period.

Thats for telling us about all this at the time. Nothing like a bit of a paleoclimatic microscandal to whet ones appetite at breakfast.

Needless to say I don't spend my life on denial sites waiting for that lot to go off on one. :)

Suppose everyone likes a little scandal to some degree:pac:

srmambo wrote: »
    Looks like the sea ice has settled to a minimum according to the National snow and ice data centre

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/2012/09/arctic-sea-ice-extent-settles-at-record-seasonal-minimum/

Although it is preliminary so a change in weather conditions could add a minor extension to the melt period.

They got that announcement out early. Wasn't expecting it until Friday or Monday.

The official minimum is given as the lowest 5 day mean, which this year is 3.4122 million km2. The lowest 1 day extent this year was 3.3686 million km2 though.
    I'm sure some controversy could be generated over that, "hiding the decline" isn't it!

I'm sure some controversy could be generated over that, "hiding the decline" isn't it!

Ah No, have a look at the other end of the scale (in yellow).

Other than that being a different meaure (NSIDC is extent, Cryosphere Today is area) I think it's best to look at the global anomaly in this situation!

Also what's important with regards to changes in the Earth's albedo, is the time of year when the +ve and -ve anomalies occur.
    The Arctic shows only a small decline in Winter and Spring, when there is the least sunlight to reflect. The biggest losses occur during the summer and early Autumn, of which a large period has 24 hour daylight. This is when you need the ice to reflect that light away!

In Antarctica, it's kind of the opposite. Their winter has the +ve anomalies lately, when there is no sunlight, so it doesn't benefit the Earth's albedo or even offset the Arctic loss a bit. In the southern hemisphere summer, the ice almost entirely melts away, back down to the same level each year and so once again does not help or hinder the Earth's overall albedo. (the variation in SH ice minimum is only about 1.2 million km2, while the NH minimum variation is about 3.2 million km2)

Unfortunately, the only sea ice region and time largely changing the Earth's albedo is the Arctic during the summer/early Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

A nice video showing the effects of storms having on the ice melt.

Advertisement