Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abuse on the doder

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

i have flyfished the doder for two decades now, but last month i took out the old spinning rod for a change ,with great results ,all catch and release,,but im getting sick of the constant bombardment of abuse from the flyfishers,,, these people i have only seen on the river for the last few yrs,,,"newbees" now it cool to flyfish....anyone else getting sick of this ****....i have never been unpleasant to a fellow fisherman ,so im not gonna put up with there **** anymore .any one with me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When you say abuse, do you mean abuse just for spinning i.e. snobbery, or abuse for spinning on top of them?

If it's the latter, it's only common courtesy to give other anglers space and skip the pool they're fishing, trout fly anglers will often be casting a nymph or dry fly upstream, so if you're coming down the river and cast a spinner in on top of the water they're trying to fish, they would have a point. But if its just abuse because you're not fly fishing I'd ignore them...

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

i have flyfished the doder for two decades now, but last month i took out the old spinning rod for a change ,with great results ,all catch and release,,but im getting sick of the constant bombardment of abuse from the flyfishers,,, these people i have only seen on the river for the last few yrs,,,"newbees" now it cool to flyfish....anyone else getting sick of this ****....i have never been unpleasant to a fellow fisherman ,so im not gonna put up with there **** anymore .any one with me
    i've had the "trolling is not fishing" rubbish on here once! i troll/trawl(which ever way its spelt:D) i spin, i coarse fish i fly fish but the only whinging i hear is from fly fishing only anglers.... each to their own i say but respect others choices, all of the above is catch and release also apart from the very odd trout for the table....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

bayliner wrote: »
    i've had the "trolling is not fishing" rubbish on here once! i troll/trawl(which ever way its spelt:D) i spin, i coarse fish i fly fish but the only whinging i hear is from fly fishing only anglers.... each to their own i say but respect others choices, all of the above is catch and release also apart from the very odd trout for the table....

there are 2 types of fly fishermen, those who like fly fishing, and those who like fly fishing for trout! its mostly the trout only people that complain

• Registered Users Posts: 6 durkdigalor

Zzippy wrote: »
    When you say abuse, do you mean abuse just for spinning i.e. snobbery, or abuse for spinning on top of them?

If it's the latter, it's only common courtesy to give other anglers space and skip the pool they're fishing, trout fly anglers will often be casting a nymph or dry fly upstream, so if you're coming down the river and cast a spinner in on top of the water they're trying to fish, they would have a point. But if its just abuse because you're not fly fishing I'd ignore them...
    no i allways give room to the flyfishers ,its their comments when walking past ie i was fishing a pool the other evening two men in their 60s got out of a car with fly rods stod beside me and told me to move that this was a flyfishing spot,,,whilst i was talking to them a beautyfull 1lb and a quater native trout took my minow ,,my god the nearly had a baby ,,followed me untill i landed the fish and told me i had to put it back. i always release my fish but i wanted to take it just to piss them of ,,, so i ran down to a poll beside the one i was fishing where there no back cast a put it in there,,,,,,,, its just pure jealousy,, they make me ashamed to call my self a flyfisher . and something needs to be done about this,,ive been talking to other anglers about this and its a common thing on this river ,,do these guy pay more for their license than i do,,, i never see any of them on the clean ups,,,in fact two weeks ago i seen one guy catch a bike tyre with a nymph and flung it back in the river,,,preservation my ass

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Where abouts is this?
    I got two cnuts moaning at me day after paddys day when I was spinning
    Basically I put the rod down and tried a comvo with one of day askin had they any luck and they were like we'll not as much as you with your spinner
    I said what ya mean by that and he said you may aswell Be using maggots its too easy to catch them with spinners I told him to fcuk off ignorant uptight dickhead
    I said the method I am using is no different from yours I said your fooling the fish into thinkin that your fly is real
    I am fooling the fish into thinkin my spinner is a smaller fish

Another time I was on the kings river using minnow and there was a fly comp on up there which I wasn't part of
    I was walkin home with a lovely 2lb trout and they were givin me awful stick saying using minnow is cheating and all this other ****
    I turned and said how many have you caught and he showed me this trout about 9 inches barely and I said I'd rather use minnow and catch a decent fish than use a fly and kill a pinkeen for a poxy competition and walked off
    I agree what your saying they are very stuck up you would swear they were royalty of the angling world but I fly fish and use other methods and I wouldn't be givin out of I seen people catchin fish on spinning rod and me on fly
    Fair play to anyone catchin fish despite the methods used obviously if they are legal methods
    Atb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

I think you guys are totally missing the point..

Where's the sport of spinning for small trout with treble hooks?

And you say you practice catch and release, and still you fish with treble hooks..how does that work?

This I can't understand..

wheres the sport in fishing for small trout with 3 flies?
    And you say you practice catch and release, and still you fish with treble hooks..how does that work?

maybe he was using barbless hooks, which should be used for catch and release anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

Listen this looks like it's going to go nowhere...

so carry on and do what your doing as I don't fish the Dodder so I won't be meeting ye.

at the end of the day, I know I will safely, catch and release more fish than any guy, with his treble hook.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

I wasnt trying to have an arguemnt btw. every thread here ends up in one though.

There are pros and cons to treble hooks. They can more damage then a single hook, but a deep hooking is fairly rare. A single hook will do less damage, but ive had a few trout this year with fairly deep hooking as they hammered the fly.

For the record ive never spinned for trout, only started trout fishing for this this year, all on the fly. Coming from a coarse/pike background, i always use the best method for the conditions, same rules apply to all types of fishing. For the trout, some days the fly will out fish a spinner or a worm, other days its the reverse. A good angler will know what to use on any given day, and will learn from their mistakes.

i use a barbless treble ,and the reason for that is the trout is hooked on the strike,unlike a single hook thats swallowed,iv yet to have a trout get my treble past his mouth,,if you stike directly at the take ,
    just like you would with a fly it does no more harm than flyfishing,you may miss alot more but thats why its called fishing ,not catching,

• Advertisement

At least the fish hook themselves on spinners
    What about fly anglers striking into the fish as if it were a shark instead of liftin into the fish and yes I fly fish aswell an have seen it
    What bout salmon anglers fly fishing
    They have doubly and treble hooks on they flies
    Where is the sport in that?
    Or fly anglers in fly competitions keepin a fish barely legal because you think it will win the competition and I've seen this aswell and have went mad at them for it!

At least the fish hook themselves on spinners
    What about fly anglers striking into the fish as if it were a shark instead of liftin into the fish and yes I fly fish aswell an have seen it
    What bout salmon anglers fly fishing
    They have doubly and treble hooks on they flies
    Where is the sport in that?
    Or fly anglers in fly competitions keepin a fish barely legal because you think it will win the competition and I've seen this aswell and have went mad at them for it!
    two months ago in orwell park rathfarnham i came across a guy with a 5 inc brownie hanging from a tree behind him ,his strike was that hard ,,i **** you not ,,he even commented on flying fish,,,,,this was not a young man ,,should have known better,,my point is the lads on the fly are not using barbless hooks ,but will try to belittle me for fishing minnow,,,makes no sense,,,,

Sure minnow is the est thing to use for trout I've caught some crackin fish on the dodder with minnow and when they are around I'd always try grab a few and then flick them back in always get hits from crackin trout and are always hooked in the bottom lip

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

the stretch of river i fish is open to all methods. so depending on the levels i
    can use anything from a bait rod to a fly rod. Ive caught salmon, pike, trout
    and even mackerel with the fly half way down the fishes stomach.
    Ive also caught the same fish with the fly barely hooked in the top of the
    mouth. similarly Ive had the same results while spinning.

i don't think the problem lies with how we catch our fish, but how we treat
    them once we have them on the bank. too many times ive seen anglers tossing
    small fish from a height back into the water, only to see the fish floating
    upside down 10 minutes later. or some lads beating the head of a fish with
    a rock because they have no priest.

in my opinion with the exception of plugs and their strip of 3 treble hooks lined up the body
    (witch should be outlawed), 99% of line caught fish can be returned safely if treated properly.
    you can have your rod and gear confiscated if you are caught without a
    license, the same should be enforced if you don't carry a priest, disgorger,
    and a forceps.

i dont care what method is used when catching fish. its the total lack of
    respect some anglers have when unhooking and returning fish that pisses
    me off.

dvae wrote: »
    the stretch of river i fish is open to all methods. so depending on the levels i

in my opinion with the exception of plugs and their strip of 3 treble hooks lined up the body
    (witch should be outlawed), 99% of line caught fish can be returned safely if treated properly.
    and a forceps.

me off.
    took my first 4lb trout on the doder today,, with a minnow ,,,and he is save and sound back in the river,,,,point proven id say,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Awesome...
    A wild fish?

and a forceps.

me off.
    took my first 4lb trout on the doder today,, with a minnow ,,,and he is save and sound back in the river,,,,point proven id say,,,,,

and a forceps.

me off.
    Pics or GTFO ha
    Kiddin mate I've lost one or two that I thought were close to that size
    There is one trout I reckon is 3 lb at least and is pure golden coloured with gorgeous spots
    I lost him beside the net months back on a minnow and he has hit my minnow twice since then but is dead wise to it now but he is defo going back when I get him before 31st of September

Pics or GTFO ha
    Kiddin mate I've lost one or two that I thought were close to that size
    There is one trout I reckon is 3 lb at least and is pure golden coloured with gorgeous spots
    I lost him beside the net months back on a minnow and he has hit my minnow twice since then but is dead wise to it now but he is defo going back when I get him before 31st of September
    no ,no pics ,,long story i was crackin up ,, there was a man with his dog there and he said that was the biggest fish he had ever seen in the river ,when i said to him "i cant believe i left my phone at home" he said i could use his ,,,this was after i let the fucin fish go ,,something about that river when it floods ,,,best days fishing ever ,, 3 fish in and around the 2lb mark yesterday,,,,ill never forget my phone again,, :eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Not trying to stir an argument but the reason I moved to using fly years ago was that I found methods like live&dead bait and spinning had gotten too easy. I could catch fish almost ridiculously easy. So my curiosity is raised by people who can fish multiple methods (inc fly) for X species choosing what I perceive as an 'easier' method in a river with a prolific stock? Once again, not trying to stir and if fish were rare and wary in the Dodder I could understand completely but...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

this year Ive abandoned the fly rod in favor of worming on my local river, and its true my catch rate has at least doubled. as well as salmon Ive even been getting good trout that i never seemed to be touching on the fly last year.
    to be honest i would like to catch all my fish on the fly, but sometimes river conditions dictate the methods i use. also while I'm being honest salmon fishing can be quite expensive. if i was to travel to the river moy from where i live tomorrow, it would cost me about €50 on petrol, €20-€30 on a day ticket and probably another €20 in the tackle shop before i start. oh and its €120 for my yearly license which only allows me to catch 10 fish before i have to purchase another license.
    my point is when faced with expenses like that most throw away the fly rod for the bait rod and worm. its not nice blanking when you have just spent the best part of €50-€100 on a days fishing.

• Advertisement

Like I said, there will always be circumstances where it's only sensible but on a river like the Dodder that's full of fish it seems like overkill (in my personal experience), especially given that the license cost for it is ~€15 euro per annum

*edit: Bare in mind that I fish purely for pleasure - I think I've brought two fish home in 20 years.

The dodder isn't as full of fish as it used to be but it has a healthy population of trout but small trout averaging of about 6-10 inches and the size limit is 9 inches and the only people I have seen taking home 9 inch trout are fly anglers and on a numerous occasion I have said it to the angler( basically went mad) and their excuse is its legal
    That's a joke
    Yes it is legal but it's 9 inches of a fish that's not even a pan size fish( very small pan) and should be ashamed of takin them

To be honest if the only people you've seen taking home 9 inch fish are fly fishers then you've been very lucky - when I lived in Rathfarnham I fished the Dodder almost daily as I was working nights and I regularly saw people (mostly younger people it must be said) taking home bags of 8-10 trout, many times those trout didn't even measure 9 inches. If things have changed so completely in 10 years I would be surprised, especially as I saw the same behaviour in May of this year when I was down there 3-4 times. Don't get me wrong - there may well be people fly fishing who are taking 9 inch fish (though as they pointed out this is legal - unwelcome but legal) but my experiences would lead me to believe that they're not the worst offenders regarding taking fish. It still doesn't address my initial question though - If you've used bait/spinning enough to be good at it, surely you've hit the point where there's little to no challenge to catch fish on a river like the Dodder? For me, as I said, dinner isn't my primary motivation so it's all about the challenge and I'm interested in other peoples motivations *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

I man with a rod and line should be allowed to keep there catch within the bag limits, any selling of fish should mean a prison sentence. YES A PRISON SENTENCE

All fishermen should understand our native brown trout species are amongst the best in the world. We have great stocks are of native brown trout. The problem is with poaching with nets that has crippled stocks of salmon and sea trout. All you need do is get a boat and go along our coastline its absolutely riddled with nets. Thats the problem, not the man with a rod and line.

Obviously anybody killing many fish of any kind should face a prison sentence. People rare allowed to keep there fish thats why we buy a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Also there is no limit to brown trout because the majority of brown trout will only ever reach 9 inches because there habitat is so small eg. the dodder... Brown trout in the big lakes turn canabal and eat other small fish and thats why the grow to a big size due to there bigger habitat... so if people killing brown trout was to cripple there stocks then i would think the government would take intuitive and put some laws in place...

Also i was a child once and catching a small brown trout started a life long passion for angling... children should be encouraged to fish...

There is in fact a limit for the Dodder - it's printed on the license which every angler fishing the river should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

danbrosnan wrote: »
    the government would take intuitive and put some laws in place....

What laws would you suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

danbrosnan wrote: »
    All you need do is get a boat and go along our coastline its absolutely riddled with nets..

IFI would be welcome info like that I'm sure. Why not give them a call?

I see them patrolling along the coast, they must be busy men with all them nets you see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭owelfisherman

i agree its very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

Really, my lord some people have nothing better to do. If someone using a spinner annoys you then you need to come off the coffie because theres a problem there.

As for taking fish home, if its illegal then do something, if its not then tough..

Guys I enjoy all types of fishing because its a passion I have. Its not even about the challange of catching a fish. Its about getting away from it all and enjoying the fishing, the surroundings and the banter.. Not about going out and having a cock fight because you think its harder to use a fly..... Bo""£x is it harder.

Fly, spinner and bait are all as hard as each other, or as easy depending on the mark being fished.

So guys, go fishing, enjoy it stick to the rules and fu$k what anyone else thinks.

Advertisement