Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

abuse on the doder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

Evac101 wrote: »
    There is in fact a limit for the Dodder - it's printed on the license which every angler fishing the river should have.

a limit of what??? another problem is that if its a state fishery but a club operates the fishing rights they have to use national law rather then club law...

As far as i was concerned there is no national size limit for brown trout, now i could be completely wrong!!!!

Bizzum wrote: »
    What laws would you suggest?

I don't think there needs to be any law for brown trout... because of there size limits they are not endangered by nets so they will be fine...

Ferox trout of the big lakes like corrib and mask are a totally different kettle of fish!!!! lol

IFI would be welcome info like that I'm sure. Why not give them a call?

I see them patrolling along the coast, they must be busy men with all them nets you see.

They are busy but there are understaffed and are not regarded as important members of the public service...

An island nation with the best leisure fishing environment in the world, the best bass, salmon and sea trout stock in the world and the fishery board is overloaded with fat cats at the top and under paid fishery officers at the bottom.

If i was in charge i would tell 75% of the board members and managers to take leave... Re staff the operational employees by 50% and offer monetary bonuses for prosecutions of all poaching all over the country. Also i would make better incentives for local small based trawlers and pot men as they are dying out and don't casue as much damage as the big trawlers.

There is so much to do thats not been done , i'd rather not talk about it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

danbrosnan wrote: »
    As far as i was concerned there is no national size limit for brown trout, now i could be completely wrong!!!!

There is a national size limit (9") for Trout. Angling clubs may have their own size limit, eg some have 10" or 12", but none may go below 9".

There is a national size limit (9") for Trout. Angling clubs may have their own size limit, eg some have 10" or 12", but none may go below 9".

I honestly didn't know that, and i have ever seen it anywhere thanks for info... appreciated... :)

• Advertisement

They are busy but there are understaffed and are not regarded as important members of the public service...

An island nation with the best leisure fishing environment in the world, the best bass, salmon and sea trout stock in the world and the fishery board is overloaded with fat cats at the top and under paid fishery officers at the bottom.

If i was in charge i would tell 75% of the board members and managers to take leave... Re staff the operational employees by 50% and offer monetary bonuses for prosecutions of all poaching all over the country. Also i would make better incentives for local small based trawlers and pot men as they are dying out and don't casue as much damage as the big trawlers.

There is so much to do thats not been done , i'd rather not talk about it...

The old board has been abolished now that IFI is in place, as indeed has the 7 regional boards.
    No doubt understaffing is an issue. There is probably only about 350 fisheries staff in the country, with probably only half of them field staff. So there is a lot of ground to be covered alright!

The old board has been abolished now that IFI is in place, as indeed has the 7 regional boards.
    No doubt understaffing is an issue. There is probably only about 350 fisheries staff in the country, with probably only half of them field staff. So there is a lot of ground to be covered alright!

The problem is that people stay in the same job too long, they should be made move on, board member wages are far too high... The main problem is that people feel like they should have divine right to stay in the same job for thirty years...

This goes for all public service workforces....

Fishing is under rated in this country... and if i was in charge it be number one on the agenda for maximum investment....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

oldat31 wrote: »
    Really, my lord some people have nothing better to do. If someone using a spinner annoys you then you need to come off the coffie because theres a problem there.

As for taking fish home, if its illegal then do something, if its not then tough..

Guys I enjoy all types of fishing because its a passion I have. Its not even about the challange of catching a fish. Its about getting away from it all and enjoying the fishing, the surroundings and the banter.. Not about going out and having a cock fight because you think its harder to use a fly..... Bo""£x is it harder.

Fly, spinner and bait are all as hard as each other, or as easy depending on the mark being fished.

So guys, go fishing, enjoy it stick to the rules and fu$k what anyone else thinks.

As much as I hate to disagree (*grin*) for me, personally, I find it much harder to present a fly well and react to a strike appropriately then I ever found it to fish bait or spin. It's not about dick measuring given that I have no close friends who fish (besides my wonderful wife - who spins) and no interest in competing with anonymous strangers on the internet, it's about feeling like I'm having to work at it. Obviously the main component of fishing for me, as for you, is being out somewhere picturesque, enjoying the open spaces, but if I'm able to, more or less, reliably catch fish at will, then that takes away from my potential enjoyment. For myself it has to feel rewarding when on the less frequent occasions I do manage to land a fish, though that might just be my own, masochistic, instincts.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

As much as I hate to disagree (*grin*) for me, personally, I find it much harder to present a fly well and react to a strike appropriately then I ever found it to fish bait or spin. It's not about dick measuring given that I have no close friends who fish (besides my wonderful wife - who spins) and no interest in competing with anonymous strangers on the internet, it's about feeling like I'm having to work at it. Obviously the main component of fishing for me, as for you, is being out somewhere picturesque, enjoying the open spaces, but if I'm able to, more or less, reliably catch fish at will, then that takes away from my potential enjoyment. For myself it has to feel rewarding when on the less frequent occasions I do manage to land a fish, though that might just be my own, masochistic, instincts.

Maybe!....

I am a sea angler and my trip starts with collecting my own bait, I dig my own rag, lug and then go collect my own crab. I then have to pick a mark that I feel will produce a nice fish, my target of that trip....

This year I wanted a smooth hound, great fish for fighting, actually the best fighting fish I have ever caught... But it took me 10 trips to a mark in dublin, collecting and digging for each trip before I got my first..

I was a beautiful 6 - 7lbs hound and it felt like I won the lotto.

Thats what its about for me, not catching fish but choosing my mark, my target and getting my own bait. Then landing my fish.

I know sea and fresh water are different but I honestly dont think ether is harder or easyer, its just how you fish and why you fish.............

Enjoy the surroundings, enjoy the company but above all respect others and our sport...

Simplezzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

is it up to clubs on rivers to set the limit? the limit is 14" on lough ree, there are 9 clubs and all are expected to abide by this law, though catch and release is on the increase in popularity over recent yrs...

9" is way too small i think!!! but i suppose thats another arguement :D:D

• Advertisement

a limit of what??? another problem is that if its a state fishery but a club operates the fishing rights they have to use national law rather then club law...

The national limit is 9" however, as I understand it, in most cases where Clubs rather then the fisheries authorities control the water there are local by-laws allowing the clubs themselves to dictate the regulations for the waters they control as authorised agents. I'm sure that one of the 'old hands' (wgsten, etc) can probably provide clarification on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lenomark

Not had any abuse on the dodder this year apart from people not respecting the swim im fishing, I have had ppl putting their dogs in for a swim at my feet and then there are the stone throwing kids and teens or the swimmers and can throwers the list is endlesssss have also had a lot of fish this season so far mostly browns

The national limit is 9" however, as I understand it, in most cases where Clubs rather then the fisheries authorities control the water there are local by-laws allowing the clubs themselves to dictate the regulations for the waters they control as authorised agents. I'm sure that one of the 'old hands' (wgsten, etc) can probably provide clarification on this.

There may well be local Bye-laws in the odd area but in the main the national 9" limit is the floor, so to speak, beneath which it is illegal to go.
    Many clubs, as a rule of their association set their own size limit and expect their members to adhere to same. So it's not a matter of Bye-laws allowing clubs to dictate regs per-se but clubs attempting to preserve their own Trout stocks.
    It could probably be argued that 9" is too low as most clubs go above it anyway.

So then, just to clarify for myself, the clubs are licensed operators (or something similar) of the resource (river, lake, reservoir, etc), membership is required to avail of the resource and the club rules (and fee) are conditions of membership?

Trying to understand it better ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

So then, just to clarify for myself, the clubs are licensed operators (or something similar) of the resource (river, lake, reservoir, etc), membership is required to avail of the resource and the club rules (and fee) are conditions of membership?

Trying to understand it better ;)

A clubs rules only adhere to club members, I can buy a licence for the doddor and fish it to the rules wrote on the licence without being part of the club, but the doddor club may have different rules for members based on the rules that already exist.....

oldat31 wrote: »
    A clubs rules only adhere to club members, I can buy a licence for the doddor and fish it to the rules wrote on the licence without being part of the club, but the doddor club may have different rules for members based on the rules that already exist.....

I'm not familiar with the Dodder, or clubs on it.
    But to generalise, if a club controls a Trout fishery they have secured the fishing rights by one means or another and allow access to said fishery by means of membership. If you are a member you can fish according to the rules of the association and in compliance with any state legislation.
    If you are not a member you shouldn't be fishing that particular fishery unless you have some arrangement with the club, eg. day ticket, land owner etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part above? What licence do you mean? The state Salmon/Sea Trout licence? If this is the case it confers no fishing rights on the Dodder if the Dodder is in the control of Angling Associations. You would still need to be a club member.

The current situation with the Dodder is that the Dodder Anglers Association control the river and share access to Botharnabreena with a number of other clubs. The annual membership fee is < €10 for junior members and ~ €15 for adult members. No day licences are available as it's felt that the membership cost is so low as to negate the need. By that logic anyone who is fishing the Dodder (legally) is a member of the D.A.A.

Advertisement