Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook ads

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Has anyone took out a Facebook ad ? How much do they charge per click and if you put 5 euro in is that all they can charge you or can they go over the amount you put in ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I believe that they will not charge any more than you put in as your daily limit.

Am only just starting to use FB advertising, myself, still sceptical about whether it really works. (I doubled my "likes", but not my influence or the website visitor rates.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭batistuta9

JustMary wrote: »
    I believe that they will not charge any more than you put in as your daily limit.

Am only just starting to use FB advertising, myself, still sceptical about whether it really works. (I doubled my "likes", but not my influence or the website visitor rates.)

people will 'like' nearly anything on FB

it's a bit of a red herring as regards popularity or whatever you want to call it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭martin g

batistuta9 wrote: »
    people will 'like' nearly anything on FB

it's a bit of a red herring as regards popularity or whatever you want to call it

Thats what im worried about, i dont want to put money into something that doesn't work. I want people to go to the website but it seems that the Facebook page of it would need to be updated regularly. Plus people could just like it then it doesn't show up in their news feeds because when you hoover over the like button a drop down menu comes up and you can un select whether to show it in your news feed...

martin g wrote: »
    Thats what im worried about, i dont want to put money into something that doesn't work. I want people to go to the website but it seems that the Facebook page of it would need to be updated regularly. Plus people could just like it then it doesn't show up in their news feeds because when you hoover over the like button a drop down menu comes up and you can un select whether to show it in your news feed...

is it the ads that appear on the left hand side you're talking about, what way do they actually work? i've never clicked on one

as for the page, yeah you'd need to update it quite often, as other wise people will forget about about it.
    then there's the hide updates as you mentioned but i only think people would do this if you were annoying with the updates, but in that case they'd probably just unlike it

The pages that seem to do well from it i think are one of nightclubs, people check them to see photos, what's on, etc.
    also they get good responses by listing what's on or up coming events, & offering free passes or something similar.

but as for a page advertising/for a business or website i not sure how many would actually be going to the site from FB, what kinda website is it just out of interest?

but as for a page advertising/for a business or website i not sure how many would actually be going to the site from FB, what kinda website is it just out of interest?

Its a pc repair website at the mo but we have other ideas to expand it when the chance comes along ! We are starting it up and looking at different ways of advertising. The good thing about the Facebook is you can select your local area and it tells you how many people you can reach. I have the fb, twitter & blogger linked to the website so far and linkedin & g+ will be linked soon...

• Advertisement

martin g wrote: »
    Its a pc repair website at the mo but we have other ideas to expand it when the chance comes along ! We are starting it up and looking at different ways of advertising. The good thing about the Facebook is you can select your local area and it tells you how many people you can reach. I have the fb, twitter & blogger linked to the website so far and linkedin & g+ will be linked soon...

not being funny but the website isn't a whole lot of use at the moment then really is it, except for maybe giving a location, which FB will do anyway, that is unless you aren't selling something off there now too.

or i suppose you can say what else you could do for them unlock phones, jailbreak, configure whatever, etc.

flyers i'd say are the next best thing after word of mouth at the start, get a shít load done & go round the houses every 3/4 weeks say

then again if you start selling stuff or do something different

not being funny but the website isn't a whole lot of use at the moment then really is it, except for maybe giving a location, which FB will do anyway, that is unless you aren't selling something off there now too.

We have flyers, business cards being printed and used to work for a local paper so talking to her when she gets back from holiday on hopefully a good deal on a ad in that & putting the flyers in the paper ! PC repair company without a website doesnt look good though in my opinion ! Thats the area your meant to be working in...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

is it the ads that appear on the left hand side you're talking about, what way do they actually work? i've never clicked on one

Ahh, they're on the "other left" for most people, I think.

Advertiser sets up a campaign, specifies the content and target audience (location, age, interests, gender etc).

Facebook shows the ad to people in the target group.

Someone who sees the ad clicks the Like button in it:
    - they are set to Liking the page
    - the advertiser is charged for the click

There's a bit more to it - you can set up other kinds of campaigns, including ones to show up in people's news-feed - but that' the general idea.

Quite like AdWords, except that Facebook has a lot more sophisticated data to target prospects with.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Inishowen lady

It depends on what you want to gain from the ad. I just finished a Facebook campaign, & won't be running with FB again. It drove a lot of traffic but very few conversions in comparison to google ads, at about the same cost per click.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Merger

or i suppose you can say what else you could do for them unlock phones, jailbreak, configure whatever, etc.

flyers i'd say are the next best thing after word of mouth at the start, get a shít load done & go round the houses every 3/4 weeks say

then again if you start selling stuff or do something different

I'm not sure where you got the information regarding the website not being any good. Normally if people are looking for something they google. They don't go out looking for flyers.

OP- You really need to make a push for the Marketing side. A lot of time needs to spent doing it and refining it. That is why it fails a lot of the time.

What I snuggest is that you get a good Facebook page in places. Have a promotion there and link it back to your website. So that you'll get a increase there. Or why not just consider them separate.

The consumer is at a stage where they want to interact and communicate that is why the social media advertising (Done correctly) is extremely successful.

I'd also have a mixture of traditional such as newspaper or flyers like the others have said. But always link all your mediums together. have same tag lines same links and make sure the links work!!! A lot of times i've seen a incorrect full stop or foward slash put in during the printing developing/stage. Or Go with a QR code which solves the problem of having a website address/URL on your advertisements (especially) the physical ones.

• Advertisement

It depends on what you want to gain from the ad. I just finished a Facebook campaign, & won't be running with FB again. It drove a lot of traffic but very few conversions in comparison to google ads, at about the same cost per click.

that would back up the theory that people will 'like' anything on FB

if their seeing the google ad they're searching for that product/thing anyway

Merger wrote: »
    I'm not sure where you got the information regarding the website not being any good. Normally if people are looking for something they google. They don't go out looking for flyers.

OP- You really need to make a push for the Marketing side. A lot of time needs to spent doing it and refining it. That is why it fails a lot of the time.

What I snuggest is that you get a good Facebook page in places. Have a promotion there and link it back to your website. So that you'll get a increase there. Or why not just consider them separate.

The consumer is at a stage where they want to interact and communicate that is why the social media advertising (Done correctly) is extremely successful.

I'd also have a mixture of traditional such as newspaper or flyers like the others have said. But always link all your mediums together. have same tag lines same links and make sure the links work!!! A lot of times i've seen a incorrect full stop or foward slash put in during the printing developing/stage. Or Go with a QR code which solves the problem of having a website address/URL on your advertisements (especially) the physical ones.

yeah they do google, but that could just as easily & will show up the shop location on google maps, bring them to
    the FB page, google+, etc. if setup, which will probably have a lot of info about the business anyway. There's no specific requirement of having a website to make a google search work for you.

what do PC repair websites really contain? nothing of note anyway from my experience, no price lists even as you can't judge what's needed to be done, a few testimonials maybe - nuff said. They just seem to have websites for the sake of having one.

so if there's nothing on the site except trivial information i can't see the big deal in having one at this stage, when the same info can be displayed for free and what use are the redirects from FB or whatever even going to matter.

now if you're selling product as well or want to include more than just basic info on the site that's a different story, or the OP said they feel they need to have a site then that's their choice.

you could run the promotions solely off the social media site too, giving a discount say if you quote a word or something etc.

and i'm not saying they go out looking for flyers when looking for something but when setting up a business you're really going after the local market at the start, so this is where the flyers, ads in the local paper, word of mouth are important

Merger wrote: »

Im trying to link them all together, flyers/ads & social media/website. Ive started the fb page off now just among friends and see what they think of it. The thing they say is that the simpler it is to use the more likely they will return to it so trying to keep everything simple. I have the qr codes on the flyers already but i dont know many people that use the scanner ! can always edit that out of the next batch.

Well if you don't think they use them entice them. Say Scan this to get 5% off or something. Give them a COA (Call of action).

But good your moving the whole process along. Any help needed Just DM me.

yeah they do google, but that could just as easily & will show up the shop location on google maps, bring them to
    the FB page, google+, etc. if setup, which will probably have a lot of info about the business anyway. There's no specific requirement of having a website to make a google search work for you.

what do PC repair websites really contain? nothing of note anyway from my experience, no price lists even as you can't judge what's needed to be done, a few testimonials maybe - nuff said. They just seem to have websites for the sake of having one.

so if there's nothing on the site except trivial information i can't see the big deal in having one at this stage, when the same info can be displayed for free and what use are the redirects from FB or whatever even going to matter.

now if you're selling product as well or want to include more than just basic info on the site that's a different story, or the OP said they feel they need to have a site then that's their choice.

you could run the promotions solely off the social media site too, giving a discount say if you quote a word or something etc.

and i'm not saying they go out looking for flyers when looking for something but when setting up a business you're really going after the local market at the start, so this is where the flyers, ads in the local paper, word of mouth are important

I'm not doubting anything your saying there.

But by only providing a Social media page your kinda Cutting your online demographic.

Your mostly only able to target people who have social media accounts. So for those who don't they aren't able to learn more. Its why I'm saying always have one. Use the gettingbusinessonline for a cheap version of website.

Very easy to use interface also if you've already the domain name registered you get a year free hosting and also a handy building tool.

Advertisement