Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What CAD program used in Mech Eng?

• 15-08-2012 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi just wondering if anyone from the engineering dept knows what CAD program/s are used in the Mech Eng course in 2nd yr?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

ProEngineer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Thanks brophya, do you know is it wildfire or creo?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Wildfire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

DJW11 wrote: »
    Thanks brophya, do you know is it wildfire or creo?

it's creo if you want a student licence ask Philip Griffin about it, he used to teach the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭joey12

When ya get back in a few weeks they'll sort you out with what ya need. no rush just yet.

• Advertisement

Cheers Joey, was just going to download it to have on pc. just wanted to make sure which version it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Aren't Pro/Engineer Wildfire 5.0 and Creo Elements Pro 5.0 the same?

Daniel S wrote: »

Not sure Danial, dont have any experience with proE/creo, been all solidworks/catia up to now. Do most students just get student licences for these packages or do many download there own from the net?

Not sure Daniel, dont have any experience with proE/creo, been all solidworks/catia up to now. Do most students just get student licences for these packages or do many download there own from the net?
    I'm a big fan of Solidworks and have been using it for a few years now (even had a job doing it full time! :)). I've always just skipped the student version and downloaded the full version. What's the point in getting/learning a stripped down version when you'll be using the full version when you're working? Might aswell start with the one you'll be using. I've never used ProE/Creo either and I'll be going into second year mech in a few weeks so I'd like to get the full version and give it a go (even though Intro to CAD will be piss I'd say! :D).

On a seperate note, this years Formula Student car will be designed in ProE/Creo completely in the first semester so if you're looking to get some practice over the semeseter you could join the FS team. :)

Yeah i agree, there seem to be alot of different packages though, found a version PTC creo 2.0, not sure if its whats used in ul though, dont want to run into problems of saving documents in newer software and not benign able to open in ul if they use a previous version. pm also sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ahaas

You are correct, Creo Elements/Pro is a renamed version of Wildfire 5.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ahaas

Yeah i agree, there seem to be alot of different packages though, found a version PTC creo 2.0, not sure if its whats used in ul though, dont want to run into problems of saving documents in newer software and not benign able to open in ul if they use a previous version. pm also sent

You are correct that model files are not backward compatible so it would be important that you know what version is being used at UL.

Hopefully it is the latest Creo 2.0.

Note that all model files are forward compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Just remember that any files created in the Student version CANNOT be opened in the Professional Version of Creo. So if you do plan on starting work in college on a model and finishing it at home you will run into problems.

ned14 wrote: »
    Just remember that any files created in the Student version CANNOT be opened in the Professional Version of Creo. So if you do plan on starting work in college on a model and finishing it at home you will run into problems.
    And vice-versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bigrob5

I just finished 2nd year aero and found the cad module one of the more enjoyable ones. If you've any experience with cad such as solidworks like a previous poster mentioned then you should have very few problems learning the skills required for this module. ProE is quite similar to solidworks, most of if not all the tools share the same name unlike other packages such as Catia.

Even if you've no experience with cad as will be the case for some people it is easy to get the grasp of if you go to the tutorials.

Our project was for teams of 4 or 5 and we'd to make a 4 stroke engine, with full animation. I think most groups got A's but the year before us they'd to make a train of some sort and I heard a lot of teams struggled with that.

bigrob5 wrote: »
    I just finished 2nd year aero and found the cad module one of the more enjoyable ones. If you've any experience with cad such as solidworks like a previous poster mentioned then you should have very few problems learning the skills required for this module. ProE is quite similar to solidworks, most of if not all the tools share the same name unlike other packages such as Catia.

Even if you've no experience with cad as will be the case for some people it is easy to get the grasp of if you go to the tutorials.

Our project was for teams of 4 or 5 and we'd to make a 4 stroke engine, with full animation. I think most groups got A's but the year before us they'd to make a train of some sort and I heard a lot of teams struggled with that.

We don't have tutorials or lectures this year apparantly 'cos of yer bad attendance!!! :D It's all online supposedly.

I've already organised my team of four, most of us are on the Formula Student team so hopefully it will be something along those lines so we can hit two birds with the one brick! :pac:

We don't have tutorials or lectures this year apparantly 'cos of yer bad attendance!!! :D It's all online supposedly.

I've already organised my team of four, most of us are on the Formula Student team so hopefully it will be something along those lines so we can hit two birds with the one brick! :pac:

Can't argue with that alright! Most of us had done cad so didn't bother going. The only ones who went were the people with no experience which in our case was very few!

Online could be better though, particularly if you get the student version off the university then you can do it from home. The only trouble will be finding that drive to do it after a night out when you're absolutely dying!

Word for the wise, and I'm sure you thought of this, but make sure your team members are trustworthy and will pull their weight! There's stories of teams having disputes over grade awarding with their groups cause more people had done more than others and all that!

bigrob5 wrote: »
    Can't argue with that alright! Most of us had done cad so didn't bother going. The only ones who went were the people with no experience which in our case was very few!

Online could be better though, particularly if you get the student version off the university then you can do it from home. The only trouble will be finding that drive to do it after a night out when you're absolutely dying!

Word for the wise, and I'm sure you thought of this, but make sure your team members are trustworthy and will pull their weight! There's stories of teams having disputes over grade awarding with their groups cause more people had done more than others and all that!
    It's the same team from the Intro 2 project, we all got an A1's and we've all done plenty of CAD. :) I find online tutorials better than being in class actually, it's like having someone lean over your shoulder and explain everything at your own pace. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Pan Pan Pan

Haven't u to pass repeat exams yet b4 the joys of CAD in 2nd Yr???? :cool:

Haven't u to pass repeat exams yet b4 the joys of CAD in 2nd Yr???? :cool:
    Eh, yea? :o

I'll get them! :D

• Advertisement

Good Man!!!!

What do u have??

Good Man!!!!

What do u have??
    Electrical engineering, Mechanics 1 and Maths 1. Stupid mistakes really, not that I can't do them. What about yourself?

Electrical engineering, Mechanics 1 and Maths 1. Stupid mistakes really, not that I can't do them. What about yourself?

Clean Slate!!! Looking forward to CAD!!!! LOL :D

QCA > 2.0 i hope!?!

Any extra TUTs from Hayes or Newport?? MLC for Maths i guess???

Clean Slate!!! Looking forward to CAD!!!! LOL :D

QCA > 2.0 i hope!?!
    If I get 3 C3's I'm on 2.41 which isn't too bad considering how bad first semester went. :o

True; agreed!!!!

Good Luck next week!!! [see u in INTRO TO CAD!!!]

Any extra TUTs from Hayes or Newport?? MLC for Maths i guess???
    Nothing from Hayes so far and I'm covered for maths.

Newport is some man though, 2 hour lecture/tutorial organised by himself without us asking. 6 of use show up and he still goes ahead with it, while on crutches. He's also sent us an email this morning saying that if we need help just go along to his office: "No appointment necessary, just drop in on a first come first serve basis.". :)

Ahh Legend!!! [sound man too!]
    above'n'beyond the call of duty!!!
    Yeah Maths should be straight forward enough....
    surprised tho with Hayes ~ could be a 'dirty' exam [so long ago!?!]

Ahh Legend!!! [sound man too!]
    above'n'beyond the call of duty!!!
    Yeah Maths should be straight forward enough....
    surprised tho with Hayes ~ could be a 'dirty' exam [so long ago!?!]
    For hayes's exam, I can just about do questions 1-3. I understand capacitors and inductors etc, I just can never get the right answer. :(

• Advertisement

Forgot to mention. If you need any help or in the future feel free to pm me. All 3rd year MABE engineers on co-op at the minute but buzzing to get back in January!

Advertisement