Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larkfield

• 15-08-2012 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Can anyone who has ever stayed in Larkfield recommend it for any good reason at all? :P

If not, why? And where should one stay instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yer_Wan

Larkfield is a great place to meet people who aren't in your course. That's its main positive.

The downsides to it are the size. It's tiny. The kitchen can barely fit two people into it.

There's only one bathroom, which will make showering annoying if you have to wait for them.

And if you and your one roommate don't get on, it's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong year.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

Yer_Wan wrote: »
    The downsides to it are the size. It's tiny. The kitchen can barely fit two people into it.

Pfft, we totally managed to fit like, 5 people in there at a time. You obviously just weren't trying hard enough. :P

ETA: It may also depend on the size of the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Laura says

Im a second year in dcu, and although i didn't stay in larkfield, i did visit a few times and it seems to me. . Its quiet small for the price you pay and secondly if you don't get on with the person you're living with (there are just 2 people per apartment), you could run into trouble.
    However, as previously mentioned, it is handy, location wise.
    Otherwise, i would suggest. . in order of preference
    1. Shanowen square
    2. Shanowen halls
    3. Gateway
    4, Hazelwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gregdead

Thanks for your comments guys :D I see you've all said it can be difficult living with someone you don't get a long with, but me and my friend are planning on living together there and after our results today we should both get it :D

I think it will be grand in the end, fcuk it :D

Laura says wrote: »
    In order of preference
    2. Shanowen halls
    I'm going to Halls, don't make it sound that bad or I'll never want to go!!
    gregdead wrote: »
    me and my friend are planning on living together there and after our results today we should both get it :D

500+ and you're guaranteed accommodation there.

If you're living with a friend, you'll be fine. In fact, either way, you'll be fine. While my roommate and I didn't get along, that's not to say there weren't others in Larkfield I didn't speak with. Some of my good friends in college are the people I met at the Larkfield rave on the first day, or just bumped into on the corridors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

I lived in Larkfield, and then the other two campus res apartments while I was in dcu.
    I'm fairly shy so to be honest I didn't really make friends from Larkfield. My roommate was lovely but we didn't really hang out.

I did love being so close to the campus though. the friends I did make I could invite back for tea, I never had to waste money in the canteen. I joined a ton of societies and met loads of people there, they kept me busy every night and I was able to go because I was just on the campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 gregdead

500+ and you're guaranteed accommodation there.

Seriously? We've both got over 500... sound :D

Yep, it's on their website somewhere.

You'll be fine then.

I'm going to Halls, don't make it sound that bad or I'll never want to go!!

I'm living in halls myself this year! :) lol. . but like I said, it's second preference, square just seemed to fill up so quickly!

I'm living in halls myself this year! :) lol. . but like I said, it's second preference, square just seemed to fill up so quickly!

Sorry to turn this into a Halls thread, gregdead, but did you hear anything from them re room numbers Laura?

• Advertisement

Sorry to turn this into a Halls thread, gregdead, but did you hear anything from them re room numbers Laura?

Nope, nothing yet unfortunately! hoping to live with a friend so eager to find out! :) has anybody?

Nope, nothing yet unfortunately! hoping to live with a friend so eager to find out! :) has anybody?

I got an acceptance email on Monday. Nothing about room numbers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

And if you and your one roommate don't get on, it's gonna be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong year.

Just in case anyone is really stressing over this, it is possible to get moved if you have really big issues with whoever you're put sharing with. It always happens that some people will realise their course isn't for them or whatever after the first few weeks and rooms open up for various reasons. While there is a waiting list for campus res, usually people on that list have found other accommodation at that point and are settled so don't necessarily want to take the vacant rooms. I've known a couple of people who've requested to move rooms a bit into the year cos they didn't get on with who they were sharing with and they had no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

So there's two people per apartment, but you get your own separate room, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭sob1467

Nitsuj wrote: »
    So there's two people per apartment, but you get your own separate room, right?

Yes and that's correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Creidim

When do the offers come out for rooms??

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Just to say here that the Larkfield waiting list is awful and very badly organised!

Last year I didn't get Larkfield and begged them as I was struggling to find somewhere to live. They gave me the whole "there's nothing we can do but you're on the waiting list" thing. Rang them every day asking were there spaces. Fortunately, I found somewhere to live with other friends but I knew a girl who got Larkfield and a week later she received a place in England and decided she'd take that place instead. She'd paid her installment or whatever and when she went to ask Campus Residences about giving up her place they told her that she'd have to find someone herself to take the place as there were No girls on the waiting list. I remember thinking to myself thank God I found somewhere to live because they certainly didn't bother to keep a waiting list.

Sorry about the rant but just be prepared for this kinda thing:)

Advertisement