Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Food

Options
  • 15-08-2012 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a nice steak house or Chinese restaurant in Galway city? I've looked through the stickys but can't find anything...

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Both steak places and Chinese places have been discussed many times but sure, once more can't hurt.

For me it's Kai for steak and Curry House Newcastle for noodly stuff.

A tip is to search the forum like this www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=475&query=steak

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Da Tang Noodle House on Middle St for real chinese food not the processed orange coloured stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 jewelstar

For me it's Bar 8 for the Steak. The unbelievable chips with it are a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

biko wrote: »
    Both steak places and Chinese places have been discussed many times but sure, once more can't hurt.

For me it's Kai for steak and Curry House Newcastle for noodly stuff.

A tip is to search the forum like this www.boards.ie/search/submit/?subforums=1&forum=475&query=steak

Thanks Biko, I don't be in these woods often :D and the search seems to be throwing up old reviews ...just nice to get some up to date recommendations :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Chinese: DaTang or Chi. Or Star King all-you-can-eat lunch if that's what you're into.

Steak: Rouge - not a steakhouse but very tasty striploin steak. Starter + Steak with Sidedish for €15.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Massimo for steak.
    Go on thursday night, steak and a pint for €15, nomnomnom.

They, just like 8, Kai, Ard Bia, etc... use duck fat to fry their chips.

J o e wrote: »
    Chinese: DaTang or Chi. Or Star King all-you-can-eat lunch if that's what you're into.

Steak: Rouge - not a steakhouse but very tasty striploin steak. Starter + Steak with Sidedish for €15.
    Agree on Chi too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Scotty's for steak.

Asian Tea House, The Royal Villa or Da Tang Noodle House for Asian cuisine.

Thanks guys I'm checking them out now...I seen from some old post this place popping up McSwiggan's has anyone any feedback? Menu looks nice...

tan11ie wrote: »
    Thanks guys I'm checking them out now...I seen from some old post this place popping up McSwiggan's has anyone any feedback? Menu looks nice...
    Id avoid it, gone massively downhill in recent years, was a staple for lunh for years but they got rid of the carvery and for me the restaurant stuff at night is overpriced and not as good as elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

J o e wrote: »

Agree on Chi too.

+1 for Chi. Got a takeaway from there at the weekend. Tom yum soup and pad thai noodles, both really nice. Got a huge portion of noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Royal villa Salthill is excellent mon-thu it's 25 quid for 3 course meal free glass of wine and t and coffee all night.
    The duck is very good

Ludikrus wrote: »
    +1 for Chi. Got a takeaway from there at the weekend. Tom yum soup and pad thai noodles, both really nice. Got a huge portion of noodles.

What's the restaurant like? is is nice enough to sit and have a meal in? would I have to book for a Saturday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Ludikrus wrote: »

What's the restaurant like? is is nice enough to sit and have a meal in? would I have to book for a Saturday night?

No idea actually, only got it delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Seaneh wrote: »
    Massimo for steak.
    Go on thursday night, steak and a pint for €15, nomnomnom.

but they need to heat up the duck fat first Seaneh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Chi isn't a restaurant, it is takeaway or delivery only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The Royal Villa for me, tried Da Tang Noodle House a few times and didn't enjoy it but I seem to be in the minority on that.

Chi isn't a restaurant, it is takeaway or delivery only

Aww no use to me. I'll be staying in Galway for a weekend, so looking for somewhere nice to eat on the Friday and then some fancy restaurant for the Saturday ....with great food of course.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

zero19 wrote: »
    The Royal Villa for me, tried Da Tang Noodle House a few times and didn't enjoy it but I seem to be in the minority on that.

I can't understand the fascination with Da Tang either. Ate there, only tasted alright, and was still hungry after it.

One of the things I detest the most in this world is paying for a meal and still being hungry afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

Take away only, no seats. You definitely wouldn't eat there! It's a unit in the westside enterprise park (behind Dunnes westside).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Seaneh wrote: »

They'll do them 'veggie' at Massimo's too if you ask.

Just checked Massimo's facebook page, looks quite nice and seems to have a lot of positive feedback from here and else where on the net.

Just a quick question....will I need to get a taxi from Eyre square to it? or is it walk-able in heels?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Just checked Massimo's facebook page, looks quite nice and seems to have a lot of positive feedback from here and else where on the net.

Just a quick question....will I need to get a taxi from Eyre square to it? or is it walk-able in heels?:D

In heels get a taxi. Should only be a few quid

inisboffin wrote: »
    In heels get a taxi. Should only be a few quid

Thanks, nothing worse then blistered feet at the start of a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Kittywake

The new restaurant Brasserie on the Corner does amazing steaks. You can finish cooking it yourself on the hot stone if you want. Been there twice now. Royal Villa for Chinese, food is delicious and it's a class location on the prom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kittywake wrote: »
    The new restaurant Brasserie on the Corner does amazing steaks. You can finish cooking it yourself on the hot stone if you want. Been there twice now. Royal Villa for Chinese, food is delicious and it's a class location on the prom.

The whole hot stone thing is just about the worst gimick ever.

It's up there with the hot pink salt to cook your fish/prawns on that was popular in "high end" restaurants" a few years ago.

If I wanted to cook a steak myself, I would. When I got to a restaurant I want my steak delivered rare and rested and ready to eat, I don't want to pay extra to do it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Off topic but I have to agree with Seaneh there. It's like the 'pull your own pint' yokes that popped up around town a couple of years ago.

Advertisement