Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a job in a language you dont know

Options
  • 15-08-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hey,

I've been doing objective c programming full time for 3 years. I may be looking for a new job soon enough.

The problem I've faced is that most programming jobs I've seen advertised are for c# , java, php etc.

Would it be unheard of for a dev company to take on some body for work with one language whose only professional experinece is with another language?
    EG: starting off with non critical tasks for a number of months till I was up to speed.

I am familiar with the other languages I named but havnt really gone near them since college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

what ever the answers anyone else give you, people are crying out for obj-c developers, probably more so than java/php.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭dubbeat

what ever the answers anyone else give you, people are crying out for obj-c developers, probably more so than java/php.

Really??

I've been on a ton of job sites searching and havnt really seen any. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭AhrSkidar

dubbeat wrote: »
    Really??

I've been on a ton of job sites searching and havnt really seen any. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

I think I must be looking in the wrong place also, see lots of stuff in the UK but very little in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You can always get a graduate role that doesn't require experience.

And yes obj-C jobs are a niche - even tho the niche may be quite large in this case. Stuff like Java is broadly applicable, which is why there are a lot more jobs for it. Would also say lots of jobs for C# but it isn't as broadly applicable language (not cross platform, same problem as with obj-C). C# gets away with it because business uses microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Truth be told if you are a skilled programmer you can switch languages with little difficulty or pain. The longer haul is knowing the frameworks and libraries associated with the language and platform you're now working in. The question is not whether or not a company would be willing to hire someone with no experience in the language, it'll be more about how much training would be required to get them caught up with the frameworks and libraries and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hey OP I have ties with a company that are looking to expand a team with Objective-C developers. Based in Galway if that's of any use to you. Pay/perks would be fairly decent too.

PM me with more info about what sort of work you've been doing if interested.

Advertisement