Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Based on what I've recently read recommend something for me to read

Options
  • 15-08-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Over the last year I've read a lot of non-fiction (Life is so much more interesting at times!)

I'm struggling to come up with my next book, so asking for people's opinion on what to read next.
    What I've read over the last year (All books generally gripped me, and all were page turners for me):

Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires
    Inverting the Pyramid: The History of Football Tactics
    Steve jobs Autobiography
    Agent Zigzag: A True Story of Nazi Espionage, Love, and Betrayal
    Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory
    One Minute to Midnight: Kennedy, Khrushchev, and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War
    Provided You Don't Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough
    Long Walk to Freedom

Currently reading
    Einstein: His Life and Universe
    The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism

(Fiction - but on recommendation I read)
    Catch 22

I have a couple of ideas on what to read next, but would be interesting to get some ideas - generally non-fiction, but can be in whatever area - open to anything!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The Berlin Wall by Frederick Taylor

Ties in with some of your recent reading. I loved it as a book during a period when I was exploring Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I see from your list that you seem to like history. I would recommend the Flashman series of books. While they are fiction you will learn a lot about various historical incidents while at the same time laughing your ass off. Funniest and most informative fiction I've ever read, bar none. George MacDonald Frazer is the author

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'll mix in a lot more fiction too.

Dystopian-type fiction
    To accompany 1984 and Catch 22, I would recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Historical fiction:
    The Emperor series by Conn Igguldon (based on Ancient Rome)
    Imperium and Lustrum by Robert Harris (two of the Cicero trilogy, Ancient Rome again)
    What I like about both the authors above is that the authors take time to explain at the end of each book where they have made changes to history and why but also where they have taken license based on conflicting historical opinions.

History

Rubicon by Tom Hollande - A narrative history ostensibly about Roman culture and the history in and around the time leading to and after Caeser's crossing of the Rubicon.

I've read all of the above and loved them, I've also read some from your list and loved them too.

I haven't yet read but do own: The history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire by Edward Gibbons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

You could try Soccernomics since you liked Inverting the Pyramid. Nowhere near as good as Wilson's book, being a bit disjointed and lacking a central thesis, but though there was much in it I disagreed with (including some things which are already out-of-date, despite a revised edition being published just this year, such as the authors' praise for Damien Comolli's work at Liverpool) it's still an interesting read, and was particularly good for its stat-backed arguments around money equalling success. It's the source of the oft-repeated claim that final league table positions show something like a 90% correlation with clubs' wage bills.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Know by Sir Ranulph Fiennes

A nutcase but in a good way; what he's done and continue to do is amazing and he's not bragging about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Football theory

Cup Magic- David Miller (1981) Daily Telegraph journalist writes about 24 different matches that he feels were influenced by an player's injury during game, a notable absentee or an inspired performance that caused an upset. Using his own contemporary notes from the games at the times. Each chapter has an in-depth anaysis of the match,incld.build-up. From USA - England World Cup 1950, ENG, WLS,NIR,SCO at 1958, Benfica - Barcelona 1960 EC Final and and many more from a mixed bag up until Arsenal - Manchester Utd. 1979 FA Cup Final.
    While each game was along time ago, I believe it will put meat on the bones of the dry formation analysis. It's relevant for Walter Winterbotttom, WM formation, Helenio Herrera up to evolving of the 4-4-2 system. Well written and providing the emotion of the immediacy of the match.

Biography
    The Testimony of Steve Biko Steve Biko
    If you like some dry discussion. This is the full court transcripts of character evidence given by Stephen Bantu Biko during the trial of students of SASO, who Biko helped found.
    Biko was under a banning order at time time and nobody had heard him speak for three years.
    The second half of the book, there is a comprehensive recount of the circumstances of his death in police custody.

Fiction
    The Plague - Albert Camus
    Fictional account of the bubonic plague hitting the port city of Oran, Algeria. Doctor is the central character and the citizen's of the city strive through the quarantine period. Loved the way personalities changed and those on the fringes of society before outbreak come into their own during it.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Great recommendations so far, especially the Flashman series; it's great. I would add:

Atomic: The first war of physics and the sectre history of the atomic bomb 1939-1949 by Jim Baggott

Sex in History by Reay Tannahill (it's a true feat and one of the most interesting books I have ever read)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

If you enjoyed the humour in Catch 22, try Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Ellian

ALL Hell Let Loose by Max Hastings. One of the best books I've read about WWII

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you like biographies, they don't come much better than american prometheus, a bio of j robert oppenheimer, or gitta sereny's bio of albert speer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement