Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Passengers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

barry711 wrote: »
    The thing that pisses me off about all this is that, if anyone knows or has seen how junkies carry on in Dublin will know what I'm talking about. They seem to all have the same mentality that is, I'm a junkie so I must talk in a way that emphases my north Dublin accent and elongate my words in a drawl, that if spoken any slower would just sound like someone groaning. They are forever roaring and shouting their business down mobile phones really loud so that everyone on the bus can hear them.

I was unaware that generic scumbag accents were ''north side accents'' :rolleyes: unless there's some big difference between how knackers from finglas and clondalkin speak that I just never noticed?? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

frag420 wrote: »
    Tell him to sit downstairs then and stop moaning!!

I sit downstairs to get away from junkies and people like the OP.
    Sitting downstairs isn't much better. Full of shuffling aul wans who reek of stale piss. At least you can escape that by climbing a few steps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Tbh, I think most of this is hyperbole. I rarely encounter anything too strange on the bus. There are one or two routes that have more than their fair share, granted, but even as a regular passenger on the 40 (ex 78a) I find it grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think the OP is just old and can't handle modern life.

If kids want to have fun let them. If someone is beside you that you don't like, move.

Other people are just as entitled to be random as you are to sit silently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I commute using a large Kavanaghs bus everyday, and it brings with it a lot of different problems than the Dublin bus ones, but over all its not really that bad. 9/10 its just another journey. I could write about them but Im too lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Don't mind them Barry, I thought your post was lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Don't mind them Barry, I thought your post was lovely.

You're Barrys mum, aren't you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

OP, thats public transport. Get a car or become more easy-going.
    I don't think the junkies/school kids care what you think, and obviously don't care/realise that u can hear them talkin ****e.

Reminds me of when we were about 14, we were coming home from school on the bus and talkin about who's ma we rode last night (coincidentally enough, we had all ridden each others ma's in various positions and places). Anyway, we got to describing the positions we each used to "tear their gowls apart" and were getting quite detailed (over the stairs, kitchen table, garden shed, wooden spoon, peanut butter, bukkake etc), until some women turned around to us and told us to change our topic of conversation. Fair enough, we said, and began to discuss the footy. But it was only afterwards that we even considered there was other people on the bus that could hear us.
    An awkward silence fell over the whole bus for the rest of the journey home. The woman was actually on the bus with her daughter and her friends, who were roughly the same age as us. They hadn't even been paying attention to our filth, from what I can tell, but were mortified that the mother had drawn attention to it.

I've since seen and done a lot worse on Dublin Bus, but the OP just reminded me of that story.
    PS, sorry its not as long as the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

• Is this about smelly people sitting beside you on the bus ?
    • Or people who talk to themselves ?
    • Or mad people who attempt a conversation on the bus while I'm busy **** ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I'm to big for the bus, on those grounds I should be able to reclaim my VRT back on my car.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people between the ages of 20-65 taking the bus and would approach such people with suspicion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Higher wrote: »
    I think there is something fundamentally wrong with people between the ages of 20-65 taking the bus and would approach such people with suspicion.

Em.....why? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

I am within your age bracket. What's wrong with me Higher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Laisurg wrote: »
    I was unaware that generic scumbag accents were ''north side accents'' :rolleyes: unless there's some big difference between how knackers from finglas and clondalkin speak that I just never noticed?? :eek:

Sure how could you miss the difference? People from Pearse Street and Sheriff Street have awful difficulty understanding each other, that's why they scream at each other all the time.
    gugleguy wrote: »
    Dave0301 wrote: »
    Em.....why? :confused:

Because Higher thinks he's Jeremy Clarkson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

gugleguy wrote: »

A man who, beyond the age of twenty-six, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure.
    —Margaret Thatcher.

But we have higher standards we say 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Have to say you are dead right with some of the people! But I am guilty of not moving from my seat as by the time the seats begin to free up; 1. I'm now finally sitting comfortably after endless shifting 2. I like to annoy people for the giggle 3. my stop is coming up.

The worst thing about dublin bus is peoples manners, some guy was screaming down the phone for the whole journey home from town last week while rubbing his bare feet and picking at his nails on the bus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The worst are the old pervs trying to chat up schoolgirls. I remember one lad, must've been in his 50's, going to a girl: "You look a lot like so-and-so, are you sure you're not her sister?" This seemed to be his tried and tested chat-up line as he kept on with it for the best part of forty minutes, even though she kept telling him no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Silene

Barry711 wrote:
    There are some rules when you're sitting next to a stranger on the bus and one of them is that when a seat becomes vacant you should move to it, thus alleviating the awkwardness between you and the other passenger...I remember only last week I was coming home from college and I was on the number 83 bus and found myself in the situation where my seat had room for another person, we stopped to let more people on and the upper deck where I was seated filled up quickly. A women sat next to me and off the bus went to carry on its journey. As time passed more and more people got off the bus creating more free seats. These were filled sharpish by other commuters dying to get away from the other person sat next to them. When I was about three stops away from my destination I looked around because I noticed that by this stage most of the seats were empty...yet...the woman still remained by my side. So now I’m thinking to myself “What the bloody hell is this all about?, Why don’t you move to another seat?” I spent the next few minutes of the journey trying to analyze and understand why this women did not move to another free seat. I still can't come to any rational conclusion expect that I must be an attractive member of the opposite sex!
      I honestly never knew this, or even thought about it much on Dublin bus.  Unless the person had hygiene problems or was noticably annoying in some way I wouldn't bother moving for a short journey into town.  You make it sound almost like a game or something OP :)   But maybe it is for all I know...  Have to say though, I'd find that a bit creepy the idea that someone thought it was some attraction that meant I was sitting beside them :/ 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

my dad told me that if there is the top of a double decker bus is full 2 people are likely to share the same birth date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Wish they would put a bin on each deck.

Why do people think it is OK to leave an apple butt on the chairs and that's not the knacks doing that as they don't do healthy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

and even worse still chewing gum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Stop Press - Public Transport sucks scoop !

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I was going to read the opening post on this thread. Then I remembered the opening post in the "Funny things that happen in the airport" thread where yer man went on nearly as long about the hilarity of losing his passport and getting a flight the next day. So I didn't read it. Fool me once, AH, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

im guessing someone will post a novel about trains next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

As time passed more and more people got off the bus creating more free seats. These were filled sharpish by other commuters dying to get away from the other person sat next to them. When I was about three stops away from my destination I looked around because I noticed that by this stage most of the seats were empty...yet...the woman still remained by my side. So now I’m thinking to myself “What the bloody hell is this all about?, Why don’t you move to another seat?” I spent the next few minutes of the journey trying to analyze and understand why this women did not move to another free seat. I still can't come to any rational conclusion expect that I must be an attractive member of the opposite sex!

Or you're not sneezing on her and you don't smell of p1ss, those are generally the only reasons why I'd get up and move since I turned 15 all those years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I have to use it four times a day to get me to and from college. This gives me a great opportunity to see many people and how they behave and what “social norms” are “expected” on public transport. Just the other day while I was on my way into college on the bus, a women in her mid 30s sat on the opposite side of me on the back seat. She had a young son who was probably about 3 years old. Now it's no surprise that kids on buses are always excited and like to look out the window and comment about what they see. This woman’s child was no exception. He was asking her all sorts of questions about what he was looking at and how and why things were the way they were. The bus was crowded and no one was talking expect her son. Now this made me think that she thought every person on the upper deck of the bus was listening intently to everything she and her son were saying. I thought this because she tried to keep him quiet by not answering him and telling him to be quiet when he got excited or raised his voice. It seems to me that when a bus is full of people who are not talking and someone breaks the silence it is seen as breaking some social norm by some people.

The silence on a packed bus full of strangers is quite amazing. If you get on and look around for an empty seat you can almost feel the awkward tension. The shifty eyes, the sneaky look you get from someone who pulls their head away from the widow to see who has gotten on. The quiet cough or throat clearing made by others in a repressed fashion as to not bring attention to themselves. (I'd actually much rather this though if I'm honest because nobody wants to hear someone coughing as if they were about to hack up a lung any second!) These are just some of the things people do on the bus. Another thing that amuses me is when the bus is almost full and there are seats left that have room for another person. So you observe a middle aged or older man getting on, he takes a quick scan around the faces of the people occupying the seats and then goes and sits right next to an attractive young women!...any excuse to be close to some attractive member of the opposite sex. There are some rules when you're sitting next to a stranger on the bus and one of them is that when a seat becomes vacant you should move to it, thus alleviating the awkwardness between you and the other passenger. I remember only last week I was coming home from college and I was on the number 83 bus and found myself in the situation where my seat had room for another person, we stopped to let more people on and the upper deck where I was seated filled up quickly. A women sat next to me and off the bus went to carry on its journey. As time passed more and more people got off the bus creating more free seats. These were filled sharpish by other commuters dying to get away from the other person sat next to them. When I was about three stops away from my destination I looked around because I noticed that by this stage most of the seats were empty...yet...the woman still remained by my side. So now I’m thinking to myself “What the bloody hell is this all about?, Why don’t you move to another seat?” I spent the next few minutes of the journey trying to analyze and understand why this women did not move to another free seat. I still can't come to any rational conclusion expect that I must be an attractive member of the opposite sex!

The people who uses buses on a day to day basis are many. All different types of people with their own agendas, from different social classes, all different ages and from different backgrounds. Two types of people out of all the others who use the bus that I find extremely annoying are...the junkies and the school kids. Dublin junkies on buses are like changing a babies nappy...You don’t like it but you have to just tolerate it. Example, coming home on a bus from Dublin, I had to sit upstairs and there was a junkie sitting about 4 seats in front of me next to his da. I'd say there was about 12 other people upstairs. He was on his phone screaming to "Diane" that she stole a camcorder from his bedroom last night, and after a long search about the house and the bins...for some reason?? he couldn't find it, So Diana his "mate" of 20 years must of taken it. Of course Diane was denying she had anything to do with it. So after a lengthy loud argument and accusations sent by both parties, Mr junkie said his mate owned the camcorder and he was "snapping" that someone stole it, and if she did not get it back there was “gonna be murdurrr!” The sad thing about it all was, this guy was about 35 years old, dressed in his Adidas tracksuit carrying on like a fractious teenager.

The thing that pisses me off about all this is that, if anyone knows or has seen how junkies carry on in Dublin will know what I'm talking about. They seem to all have the same mentality that is, I'm a junkie so I must talk in a way that emphases my north Dublin accent and elongate my words in a drawl, that if spoken any slower would just sound like someone groaning. They are forever roaring and shouting their business down mobile phones really loud so that everyone on the bus can hear them. They think that people actually want hear that "Maller" got the head bet off him last night, outside Doyler's gaff! It’s even worse when two or more are on the bus because then they just talk up each other saying what one another want to hear, stroking up each other's egos. For the most part they are harmless and leave you alone...but god forbid you acknowledge or engage one....**** that! You'll be in for the most boring and ear chewing bus journey of your life, having questions fired at you like...Have ya got any straights? Ya selling? Ya looking? any Roche or D5's? Do ya know....from....?

Then they have their god awful opinions on things like the state of the country with all "those types" coming in and taking our jobs and money, the state of the bus services, the state of the dole offices and how long he has to wait to sign on each month because the lazy bastards in there won't open another hatch and of course the neck of yer man for giving him grief over the cost of the bus fare! The Dublin Junkie...a law unto themselves.

Then you have the school kids who pile on the bus every Monday morning with their Hurley sticks and overstuffed schoolbags that bang off the other passengers faces as the navigate their way down that narrow aisle hoping to sit next to their buddy where they will engage in conversation about their weekend pursuits of debauchery and other utter mind numbing ****e that by the time you get off the bus your IQ has dropped by about 15 points. They are loud and often stink of either BO or too much deodorant or worse yet a mix of both. Playing their poxy MP3 players way to loud or even worse playing some crap song through an expensive phone that their parents bought for them at Christmas because they threw a hissy fit the moment the parents said "we'll see" when they asked could they get it.

One of the biggest things I dislike about school kids on the bus is the girls and the way they carry on. There is always one or two who are the loudest who spout irrelevant things at random intervals that have nothing to do with anything the others are talking about. This is because they lay claim to others and their mates that they are “random” which by the way, is something that annoys me so much about people that claim they are like this when asked what kind of person they are or what type of personality they have. How on earth can a person be random in what they are saying or have said? It is simply not possible. First off one must actually think about something to say “randomly” this is where the whole concept fails because thought requires an active and rational thinking process. The sickening thing about this “Randomness” is that it seems to be a cool thing now among females up to about the age of 20 to say they are random and like random things. I could digress further about this topic but I’ll wait till later to talk about it again.

Both sexes are forever trying to make themselves look good and show off in front of their mates. A lot of them tend to think for whatever reason that the other people on the bus want to hear about how cool they are...Sorry kids I got news for you, drinking on the weekends and having straightners on the green and acting like a bunch of rambunctious yahoo’s at 8am on a packed bus is not cool and impresses nobody. People don't give a toss about what you did or who you did for that matter! Sometimes I feel like saying “Shut up talking bollix ya bleedin' cabbage!" but I can't, because, as a bus passenger I'm doomed to follow the “rules” that exist on the public transport systems.

50 shades of bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Colmustard wrote: »
    A man who, beyond the age of twenty-six, finds himself on a bus can count himself as a failure.
    —Margaret Thatcher.

But we have higher standards we say 20.

To be fair, in London anyway there seems to be a much higher ratio of total weirdos on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I read it, as I don't have the attention span of a bluebottle.

Hyperbole and assumptions.

Plenty of spas can be found on public transport. It's public. Dublin is full of spas. Spas need to get about. Ignore the spas. Simple.

Plenty of gimps can be found on public transport. It's public. Dublin is full of gimps. Gimps need to get about. Ignore the gimps. Simple.

What was that about hyperbole?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

What was that about hyperbole?

Very fast, well done ;)

Having lived here my whole life, I can assure you that that's not hyperbole.

Place is teeming with pondlife.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

stehyl15 wrote: »
    my dad told me that if there is the top of a double decker bus is full 2 people are likely to share the same birth date

In a random sample of 23 people there is a 50% chance that two people will share the same birthday.

The probability rises to 99% with just 57 people.

Very fast, well done ;)

Having lived here my whole life, I can assure you that that's not hyperbole.

Place is teeming with pondlife.

I must live in a parallel univese to you so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

My Brain hurts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

TL;DR:

There are buses in dublin, I use them to get to college. Skangers and kids use busses, both are noisy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

OP, the woman with the child was probably self-conscious and didn't want the child drawing attention to her. Really nothing enjoyable about the embarrassign things a child can naively blurt out like "why were you putting batteries in your bum this morning?"

Men always gravitate towards attractive women. This is not news.

I rarely move seats because I can't be bothered stumbling into a new one.

What made you think the skanger was a junkie?

Teenagers behaving in an attention-seeking flirtatious manner? Seriously? Were you born middle-aged?

i like the bus. Its entertaining peoplewatching & sometimes I like chatting to random strangers. If you find people in general so annoying you should not use public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OP I still refuse to read this, however if you will stick up a video where you act it out in interpretative dance, I'll watch that. Keep it under 3min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't see why it bothers you that the woman didn't get up to move seats. Is it really that big a deal? You're on the bus to get from A to B, not to worry about who you're sitting beside.

Personally, I'd feel insulted if someone suddenly jumped up and moved seats when one became available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

dd972 wrote: »
    Stop Press - Public Transport sucks scoop !

It doesn't have too! provided that half the civilians who use it don't behave like muck savages - which is what happens here.

Look at countries in Scandinavia, and in fact most, if not all European nations; their public transport systems in many ways piss all over ours.

Their public don't fling their half eaten McD's at the back of the bus, shoot up heroine, smoke, leave an empty'ish can of coke/fizz on the seat dripping all over the place etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

OP - Try a bus in Bangladesh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Plenty of spas can be found on public transport. It's public. Dublin is full of spas. Spas need to get about. Ignore the spas. Simple.

Didn't notice a higher percentage of people with cerebral palsy than average in Dublin. Why would you ignore them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

OP get an mp3 player and stop people watching like the rest of us

Juicyfruit wrote: »
    I liked it!

Just a point on the woman that didn't get up and sit somewhere else when other seats became free.. maybe she didn't want to offend you by moving away from you!

more likely that she had just pissed on the seat and to move would have made it obvious to the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Has anyone got the TLDR version?

People are awkward on busses. They will tend to follow the norm; even when it isn't terribly logical (such as having to be quiet just because it's quiet).

The OP believes if people sit beside one another voluntarily they either (a) are friends or (b) the one sitting down next to the one currently seated fancies them.

The OP hates people sitting beside him, and isn't much a fan of groups of jolly hockey-stick girls either.

---

Could always interpret it the other way OP. If someone moves seat the first moment they get, could one think 'do I smell or somethin?'

What grinds my gears on buses are having to keep the windows closed when there's bad BO or it's hot (because I can't reach the windows or social pressure), loud foreigners when I'm studying for exams (not an everyday occurrence thankfully) and drunks. Drunks at any time are generally a pain; the quiet ones late at night are by-and-large alright, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

does anyone else hate talking on your phone on the bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'll reply to your post next week OP, going to bring it on holidays with me for a bit of beach reading. Never got a chance to call in to Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭McSheez

Jayus OP that's all a bit moany. Kids will be kids, townies/junkies/people with stronger accents then you will sometimes be loud and sometimes people won't be arsed moving to another seat, even if it means you'll hit their elbows while ****. I don't mind any of that. Tell you what does get me though, the silent intolerant over judgmental type. You left them out of your post.

You should get a car and leave us public transport freaks to our own devices.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

OP - Try a bus in Bangladesh

You're so well traveled and cultured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

He needs a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I love driving everywhere! Screw buses!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Give the OP a break! So it was a bit of a long post, nobody was forced to read it.

Whatever about the ranting, it is true about the unwritten etiquette on a bus. Some things are quite funny when you take a step back and look at it.

People are so polite when they are on an inside seat and want to get off, lots of "Sorry", "Please", and "Thanks", as if they might ruin your day by making you get up!

I love when coin passengers start making a scene over pre-paid passengers "skipping" the que, or vice-versa. Calm down, you're going to get on the bus regardless, it's not like there's a musical chairs type race!

I notice people try to leave an empty row between the next person if possible. Sitting behind somebody when there are lots of seats free comes off as a bit creepy, especially if it's behind a girl.

Downstairs middle attracts the elderly. Downstairs back attracts the guy just finished work still in his suit. Upstairs front attracts tourists and parents with young kids. Upstairs seat behind the stairwell attracts tall guys with long legs or cool kids who want to put their feet up. Upstairs back attracts skangers and wannabe hard men.

Love when a group of teen lads trying desperately to sound hard sit at the back, regaling stories of drink, drugs and fights, only to suddenly shut up when real knackers get on. Then it's all whispers and awkward silence.

Once the seats fill up and you have to sit beside somebody you have to make rapid character judgements in a matter of seconds! Some people try to leave a bag partially on the second half of the seat to ward off any potential sharers...and seem quite annoyed when they have to move it! Imagine, being in close proximity to another human being on public transport...you'd swear €1.90 entitled you to a private cubicle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement