Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Passengers.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

^upstairs front is my favourite as you get the best view and don't feel as much motion sickness!

nbar12 wrote: »
    does anyone else hate talking on your phone on the bus?

No, I want the rest of the bus to know how cool and popular and funny and clever I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Trine wrote: »
    Love when a group of teen lads trying desperately to sound hard sit at the back, regaling stories of drink, drugs and fights, only to suddenly shut up when real knackers get on. Then it's all whispers and awkward silence.

Once the seats fill up and you have to sit beside somebody you have to make rapid character judgements in a matter of seconds! Some people try to leave a bag partially on the second half of the seat to ward off any potential sharers...and seem quite annoyed when they have to move it! Imagine, being in close proximity to another human being on public transport...you'd swear €1.90 entitled you to a private cubicle.

Worst thing is when young lads start playing music full blast from their phones on a previously quiet bus :mad:

I find the window seat to be better and i always keep my bags between my legs on my lap. I can blissfully ignore the person beside me and stare out the window. More often than not the other person is content to ignore me too.

Btw this should now be a general bus thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

barry711 wrote: »
    I have to use it four times a day to get me to and from college. This gives me a great opportunity to see many people and how they behave and what “social norms” are “expected” on public transport. Just the other day while I was on my way into college on the bus, a women in her mid 30s sat on the opposite side of me on the back seat. She had a young son who was probably about 3 years old. Now it's no surprise that kids on buses are always excited and like to look out the window and comment about what they see. This woman’s child was no exception. He was asking her all sorts of questions about what he was looking at and how and why things were the way they were. The bus was crowded and no one was talking expect her son. Now this made me think that she thought every person on the upper deck of the bus was listening intently to everything she and her son were saying. I thought this because she tried to keep him quiet by not answering him and telling him to be quiet when he got excited or raised his voice. It seems to me that when a bus is full of people who are not talking and someone breaks the silence it is seen as breaking some social norm by some people.

The silence on a packed bus full of strangers is quite amazing. If you get on and look around for an empty seat you can almost feel the awkward tension. The shifty eyes, the sneaky look you get from someone who pulls their head away from the widow to see who has gotten on. The quiet cough or throat clearing made by others in a repressed fashion as to not bring attention to themselves. (I'd actually much rather this though if I'm honest because nobody wants to hear someone coughing as if they were about to hack up a lung any second!) These are just some of the things people do on the bus. Another thing that amuses me is when the bus is almost full and there are seats left that have room for another person. So you observe a middle aged or older man getting on, he takes a quick scan around the faces of the people occupying the seats and then goes and sits right next to an attractive young women!...any excuse to be close to some attractive member of the opposite sex. There are some rules when you're sitting next to a stranger on the bus and one of them is that when a seat becomes vacant you should move to it, thus alleviating the awkwardness between you and the other passenger. I remember only last week I was coming home from college and I was on the number 83 bus and found myself in the situation where my seat had room for another person, we stopped to let more people on and the upper deck where I was seated filled up quickly. A women sat next to me and off the bus went to carry on its journey. As time passed more and more people got off the bus creating more free seats. These were filled sharpish by other commuters dying to get away from the other person sat next to them. When I was about three stops away from my destination I looked around because I noticed that by this stage most of the seats were empty...yet...the woman still remained by my side. So now I’m thinking to myself “What the bloody hell is this all about?, Why don’t you move to another seat?” I spent the next few minutes of the journey trying to analyze and understand why this women did not move to another free seat. I still can't come to any rational conclusion expect that I must be an attractive member of the opposite sex!

The people who uses buses on a day to day basis are many. All different types of people with their own agendas, from different social classes, all different ages and from different backgrounds. Two types of people out of all the others who use the bus that I find extremely annoying are...the junkies and the school kids. Dublin junkies on buses are like changing a babies nappy...You don’t like it but you have to just tolerate it. Example, coming home on a bus from Dublin, I had to sit upstairs and there was a junkie sitting about 4 seats in front of me next to his da. I'd say there was about 12 other people upstairs. He was on his phone screaming to "Diane" that she stole a camcorder from his bedroom last night, and after a long search about the house and the bins...for some reason?? he couldn't find it, So Diana his "mate" of 20 years must of taken it. Of course Diane was denying she had anything to do with it. So after a lengthy loud argument and accusations sent by both parties, Mr junkie said his mate owned the camcorder and he was "snapping" that someone stole it, and if she did not get it back there was “gonna be murdurrr!” The sad thing about it all was, this guy was about 35 years old, dressed in his Adidas tracksuit carrying on like a fractious teenager.

The thing that pisses me off about all this is that, if anyone knows or has seen how junkies carry on in Dublin will know what I'm talking about. They seem to all have the same mentality that is, I'm a junkie so I must talk in a way that emphases my north Dublin accent and elongate my words in a drawl, that if spoken any slower would just sound like someone groaning. They are forever roaring and shouting their business down mobile phones really loud so that everyone on the bus can hear them. They think that people actually want hear that "Maller" got the head bet off him last night, outside Doyler's gaff! It’s even worse when two or more are on the bus because then they just talk up each other saying what one another want to hear, stroking up each other's egos. For the most part they are harmless and leave you alone...but god forbid you acknowledge or engage one....**** that! You'll be in for the most boring and ear chewing bus journey of your life, having questions fired at you like...Have ya got any straights? Ya selling? Ya looking? any Roche or D5's? Do ya know....from....?

Then they have their god awful opinions on things like the state of the country with all "those types" coming in and taking our jobs and money, the state of the bus services, the state of the dole offices and how long he has to wait to sign on each month because the lazy bastards in there won't open another hatch and of course the neck of yer man for giving him grief over the cost of the bus fare! The Dublin Junkie...a law unto themselves.

Then you have the school kids who pile on the bus every Monday morning with their Hurley sticks and overstuffed schoolbags that bang off the other passengers faces as the navigate their way down that narrow aisle hoping to sit next to their buddy where they will engage in conversation about their weekend pursuits of debauchery and other utter mind numbing ****e that by the time you get off the bus your IQ has dropped by about 15 points. They are loud and often stink of either BO or too much deodorant or worse yet a mix of both. Playing their poxy MP3 players way to loud or even worse playing some crap song through an expensive phone that their parents bought for them at Christmas because they threw a hissy fit the moment the parents said "we'll see" when they asked could they get it.

One of the biggest things I dislike about school kids on the bus is the girls and the way they carry on. There is always one or two who are the loudest who spout irrelevant things at random intervals that have nothing to do with anything the others are talking about. This is because they lay claim to others and their mates that they are “random” which by the way, is something that annoys me so much about people that claim they are like this when asked what kind of person they are or what type of personality they have. How on earth can a person be random in what they are saying or have said? It is simply not possible. First off one must actually think about something to say “randomly” this is where the whole concept fails because thought requires an active and rational thinking process. The sickening thing about this “Randomness” is that it seems to be a cool thing now among females up to about the age of 20 to say they are random and like random things. I could digress further about this topic but I’ll wait till later to talk about it again.

Both sexes are forever trying to make themselves look good and show off in front of their mates. A lot of them tend to think for whatever reason that the other people on the bus want to hear about how cool they are...Sorry kids I got news for you, drinking on the weekends and having straightners on the green and acting like a bunch of rambunctious yahoo’s at 8am on a packed bus is not cool and impresses nobody. People don't give a toss about what you did or who you did for that matter! Sometimes I feel like saying “Shut up talking bollix ya bleedin' cabbage!" but I can't, because, as a bus passenger I'm doomed to follow the “rules” that exist on the public transport systems.

This sounds like something out of a Woody Allen film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Bus Wanker :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

nbar12 wrote: »
    does anyone else hate talking on your phone on the bus?

i hate it, i dont care who's ringing my phone or what its about i will not answer on the bus, friends are the exact same :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Holy wall of text batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Bus etiquette / norms always amused me. Good post OP.

Anecdote time - once on a quiet morning journey into town this Junkie tried to chat up a very prim girl sitting behind me. "I go to college too" and then he assault her with tales of how he could speak french, how he would really like to ride her and what he would do to her. She sat there in silence. Then a magical moment happened, she said "O.k, speak french." When that junkie got off the bus, everyone sitting in the vicinity burst out laughing. One experience everyone should have is hearing a junkie try to speak french.

Another time, during the heavy flooding, out bus got stuck on the motorway just outside of city. We were there for 5 hours. During those five hours, I watched as a stuffy conservative bus full of strangers slowly became a group of friends. It was a little inspiring to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Delightfully Pessimistic

I got half way through the OP's life story before I gave up.
    And all I could gather from it is that he does not like anyone at all.

Dislikes Old People
    Dislikes Children
    Dislikes Teenagers
    Dislikes Women (Sitting next to him)

Hell he even dislikes silence and noise. Is there anything he doesn't hate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Bus Wanker :pac:

Hence sitting on the back of the bus ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

mother of god :eek:

i read the first million paragraphs of that post and didnt even reach the end

it just went on and on and on and on......... :confused:

i need a nap after that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

Dislikes Old People
    Dislikes Children
    Dislikes Teenagers

himself? ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

barry711 wrote: »
    ...yet...the woman still remained by my side. So now I’m thinking to myself “What the bloody hell is this all about?, Why don’t you move to another seat?” I spent the next few minutes of the journey trying to analyze and understand why this women did not move to another free seat. I still can't come to any rational conclusion expect that I must be an attractive member of the opposite sex!

The people who uses buses on a day to day basis are many. All different types of people with their own agendas, from different social classes, all different ages and from different backgrounds. Two types of people out of all the others who use the bus that I find extremely annoying are...the junkies and the school kids. Dublin junkies on buses are like changing a babies nappy...You don’t like it but you have to just tolerate it. Example, coming home on a bus from Dublin, I had to sit upstairs and there was a junkie sitting about 4 seats in front of me next to his da. I'd say there was about 12 other people upstairs. He was on his phone screaming to "Diane" that she stole a camcorder from his bedroom last night, and after a long search about the house and the bins...for some reason?? he couldn't find it, So Diana his "mate" of 20 years must of taken it. Of course Diane was denying she had anything to do with it. So after a lengthy loud argument and accusations sent by both parties, Mr junkie said his mate owned the camcorder and he was "snapping" that someone stole it, and if she did not get it back there was “gonna be murdurrr!” The sad thing about it all was, this guy was about 35 years old, dressed in his Adidas tracksuit carrying on like a fractious teenager.

The thing that pisses me off about all this is that, if anyone knows or has seen how junkies carry on in Dublin will know what I'm talking about. They seem to all have the same mentality that is, I'm a junkie so I must talk in a way that emphases my north Dublin accent and elongate my words in a drawl, that if spoken any slower would just sound like someone groaning. They are forever roaring and shouting their business down mobile phones really loud so that everyone on the bus can hear them. They think that people actually want hear that "Maller" got the head bet off him last night, outside Doyler's gaff! It’s even worse when two or more are on the bus because then they just talk up each other saying what one another want to hear, stroking up each other's egos. For the most part they are harmless and leave you alone...but god forbid you acknowledge or engage one....**** that! You'll be in for the most boring and ear chewing bus journey of your life, having questions fired at you like...Have ya got any straights? Ya selling? Ya looking? any Roche or D5's? Do ya know....from....?

Then they have their god awful opinions on things like the state of the country with all "those types" coming in and taking our jobs and money, the state of the bus services, the state of the dole offices and how long he has to wait to sign on each month because the lazy bastards in there won't open another hatch and of course the neck of yer man for giving him grief over the cost of the bus fare! The Dublin Junkie...a law unto themselves.

Then you have the school kids who pile on the bus every Monday morning with their Hurley sticks and overstuffed schoolbags that bang off the other passengers faces as the navigate their way down that narrow aisle hoping to sit next to their buddy where they will engage in conversation about their weekend pursuits of debauchery and other utter mind numbing ****e that by the time you get off the bus your IQ has dropped by about 15 points. They are loud and often stink of either BO or too much deodorant or worse yet a mix of both. Playing their poxy MP3 players way to loud or even worse playing some crap song through an expensive phone that their parents bought for them at Christmas because they threw a hissy fit the moment the parents said "we'll see" when they asked could they get it.

One of the biggest things I dislike about school kids on the bus is the girls and the way they carry on. There is always one or two who are the loudest who spout irrelevant things at random intervals that have nothing to do with anything the others are talking about. This is because they lay claim to others and their mates that they are “random” which by the way, is something that annoys me so much about people that claim they are like this when asked what kind of person they are or what type of personality they have. How on earth can a person be random in what they are saying or have said? It is simply not possible. First off one must actually think about something to say “randomly” this is where the whole concept fails because thought requires an active and rational thinking process. The sickening thing about this “Randomness” is that it seems to be a cool thing now among females up to about the age of 20 to say they are random and like random things. I could digress further about this topic but I’ll wait till later to talk about it again.

Both sexes are forever trying to make themselves look good and show off in front of their mates. A lot of them tend to think for whatever reason that the other people on the bus want to hear about how cool they are...Sorry kids I got news for you, drinking on the weekends and having straightners on the green and acting like a bunch of rambunctious yahoo’s at 8am on a packed bus is not cool and impresses nobody. People don't give a toss about what you did or who you did for that matter! Sometimes I feel like saying “Shut up talking bollix ya bleedin' cabbage!" but I can't, because, as a bus passenger I'm doomed to follow the “rules” that exist on the public transport systems.

Eh...yeah... this is about where it got very weird for me. Very strange lad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

Dislikes Old People
    Dislikes Children
    Dislikes Teenagers

He was recording and passing on his observations and insights into every day life. He wasn't saying he even understood everything he saw never mind giving an opinion on whether it was right/wrong, liked/disliked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

You forgot: when an attractive girl gets off the bus, all the guys sitting in windows seats must have a good perv at her as she walks away. Quite funny to watch.

Also the first person to sniff her seat gets all the glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Theseus on Dublin bus?? Whats the title of the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Cathyht

Something vaguely Leaving Cert Prose about it, Charles Lamb? I digress.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I must live in a parallel univese to you so.

Lucky you.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

Yeah how dare he try to start a discussion on a discussion board.

Boards obviously exist for the purpose of typing 6 word sentences on why people didn't read the OP.

My bus observation: you always see little old ladies spark up conversations with anyone and everyone, especially passengers with kids. I sometimes wonder if it is because they are lonely or is it because they are from an era where it was completely normal to do so.

Bus travel now is very insular pop in the earbuds, check your phone, read your kindle. The older generation can sit beside someone of a similar age and start chatting like they were old friends. I on the other hand would never dream of that, however I find if an older person engages in conversation I have no problem with it and will natter away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

Great analysis of a daily experience that many just tune out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Bus etiquette / norms always amused me. Good post OP.

Anecdote time - once on a quiet morning journey into town this Junkie tried to chat up a very prim girl sitting behind me. "I go to college too" and then he assault her with tales of how he could speak french, how he would really like to ride her and what he would do to her. She sat there in silence. Then a magical moment happened, she said "O.k, speak french." When that junkie got off the bus, everyone sitting in the vicinity burst out laughing. One experience everyone should have is hearing a junkie try to speak french.

Another time, during the heavy flooding, out bus got stuck on the motorway just outside of city. We were there for 5 hours. During those five hours, I watched as a stuffy conservative bus full of strangers slowly became a group of friends. It was a little inspiring to be honest.
    did they all keep in touch.

Why nobody says anything on buses.

Advertisement