Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chasing payment

• 15-08-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I provide a professional service and I have two clients that I have been chasing payment for almost a year. One owes me €700 the other €800.

I don't get anyone to sign contracts as I have had no need to before this.

What options do I have as regards taking legal action?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

There are professionals that provide a service called solicitors - you need to speak to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

There are professionals that provide a service called solicitors - you need to speak to one.

Thanks for the smart arse answer, you are indeed very witty :rolleyes:.
    I am going to speak to a solicitor next week, just wondering
    what the procedure is and how difficult it is to get payment in these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

kdowling wrote: »
    I am going to speak to a solicitor next week, just wondering

^This, makes
    I provide a professional service and I have two clients that I have been chasing payment for almost a year. One owes me €700 the other €800.

^this completely unnecessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jblack

234 wrote: »
    ^This, makes

^this completely unnecessary.

I would agree with the above poster but for the OP's edification:

The fact you do not have a written contract may, or indeed may not matter. If the debt is admitted, or no reasonable defence can be offered then it is likely you may obtain summary judgment for a liquidated sum.

However, if the debtors' dispute the existence of a contract then this is a different ball game as you may be getting involved in a full litigious process to prove that there was a contract and the money is owed. If you lose you may be liable for mulitples of the amounts you are claiming, as costs.

The other point I might raise is that most "professions" have certain regulations requiring invoices to be set out with minimum criteria, therefore as an absolute minimum one of the criteria would be that they are in writing. While someone might believe the services they are carrying out is a "professional" service, it is not, it is merely a service.

I am not assuming this to be case here OP, but there are obligations and liabilities that arise for certain professions and this is worth pointing out as if you have failed to comply with certain required procedure you may lose entitlement or be in trouble with your governing body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

taking legal action?
    Well, there's loads of other ways, you know...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

RumDrinker wrote: »
    Well, there's loads of other ways, you know...

Goons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

If you'd have read the charter and posted the question as outlined so it doesn't get locked I would have spent more time answering it.

Wrongly, probably, knowing me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Were the services provided to individuals or limited companies?

Have you any idea of thier ability to pay?

A lot of money can be wasted chasing unrecoverable debts.

Given solicitors fees and legal costs, €1,500 is not a lot if there is a chance you won't recover it.

Give seriuos consideration to writing it off, and for future clients get reliable credit references, or look for payment up front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

Predalien wrote: »
    Goons?

To name one but a few: knees and hammer-drills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Here's what I posted in business forum a while ago
    Three reasons why companies don't pay:

1. Inefficiency
    2. Inability
    3. Company Policy

I'm assuming your client falls into categories 2 or 3.

You need to get to the top of the list when it comes to payment. Going down the legal route is time consuming and you have no guarantee of payment.

Call round to the client personally and ask for a cheque. Don't take no for an answer. Don't threaten anything, just sit there until you get the money owed to you.

Remember at all times, these people are stealing from you, be courteous but firm. You are owed the money and the more inconvenient you make their lives the nearer to getting paid you will be.

Going forward I would very, very strongly advise you to get a credit rating for all your clients before accepting any business from them. You wouldn't lend a stranger on the street E6,000 without knowing whether they could and would pay you back, why would you do the same for a business?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Legal work really hinges on things like contracts and documentation.

Without these things there's not much they can do for you.

Call The Viper Debt Recovery & Repossession Services Ltd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

For those amounts of money it is simply not cost effective to sue.
    Don't threaten anything, just sit there until you get the money owed to you.
    And they will call the Gardaí to have you removed. Not a wise move and again no guarantee of payment.

For those amounts of money it is simply not cost effective to sue.
    Don't threaten anything, just sit there until you get the money owed to you.
    And they will call the Gardaí to have you removed. Not a wise move and again no guarantee of payment.

If the Guards can be bothered to show up. Not before all the staff start talking, any clients in the office raise their eyebrows. Trust me, if he has the money he will want to get rid of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Valetta wrote: »

Given solicitors fees and legal costs, €1,500 is not a lot if there is a chance you won't recover it.

Give seriuos consideration to writing it off, and for future clients get reliable credit references, or look for payment up front.

The service is to two individuals. They are easily able to pay but I think that because there is no written contract they think they can get away with just not paying.

Valetta wrote: »

The service is to two individuals. They are easily able to pay but I think that because there is no written contract they think they can get away with just not paying.

So it's no. 3 - Company Policy. They owe you the money, they know it and you know it. Doorstep them, park infront of their entrance to work. Make yourself a nuisance, a real nuisance. It's the surest way of getting your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Surest way to get a criminal record.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

The Gardai will not turn up unless called. If someone just turns up to discuss a payment issue, it is not a crime.

You turn up, catch them on the hop and there's a good chance of payment.

If you want to. Call them up, and say you'll be in the area doing business, and you'll pass by. But there's nothing illegal in turning up out of the blue at a business to have a word.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Have you issued written invoices? Have they written back denying liability? Have you evidence the work was done?

Advertisement