Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting results rechecked - Is there a Point?

• 15-08-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I have been robbed of a place in my favoured course by what is the worst grade I have ever recieved... it makes no sense. I was giving a D2 in buisness when I know I got at least a C2. I know it... i studied the marking schemes... 20 points gone because of that and with that my course.

My question is:

Is there any point in viewing them and getting them rechecked?
    From what I know they recorrect them in September and by then people will have accepted their offers and the courses will be full.

So just why should i recheck it if it won't matter as my course will be full?

Also is there any way to escalate this issues if it is proven I was robbed by an idiot with a pen?
    I will not sit back and be told "Sorry for the mistake"... i will want my course... will want what is rightfully mine.

Comments

Dapics wrote: »
    I have been robbed of a place in my favoured course by what is the worst grade I have ever recieved... it makes no sense. I was giving a D2 in buisness when I know I got at least a C2. I know it... i studied the marking schemes... 20 points gone because of that and with that my course.

My question is:

From what I know they recorrect them in September and by then people will have accepted their offers and the courses will be full.

Also is there any way to escalate this issues if it is proven I was robbed by an idiot with a pen?
    I will not sit back and be told "Sorry for the mistake"... i will want my course... will want what is rightfully mine.

If you want it, get it checked. That's it! Don't think about the 'will there be a place or won't there...', if you think you did better just get it checked. It might turn out that you won't go up for whatever reason - you should be aware that that is a possibility.

But get it done if you want to get it done. Otherwise you'll always be in the 'should I have done that?' mentality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Its free to view them, so why not. You get the marking scheme with the paper so you can go through it and see if you actually deserved that grade or not. If appealing it will make a huge difference to you, I would advise that you bring a teacher with you, rather than looking at it on your own.

The results of the recheck come back in late September/early October. Some courses will leave spaces specifically for people who will go up in the recheck, so you may be offered that course, even if you have started another course. Sure you might be joining the class late, but some colleges don't start til the end of September so you wouldn't miss that much.

If your course does not leave spaces for rechecks, then you will be offered the place next year, as far as I know.

I have no idea what you can do if it turns out you were marked unfairly. There are a lot of checks in place to make sure that correctors are doing things right. Obviously mistakes can happen, and it is very very unfortunate for those who miss out because of it, but I haven't heard of anyone doing anything other than the normal appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Yes but does it matter in terms of getting my course?
    Because From what I know it dosen't matter as the course will be full anyway.

For you info I was looking for commerce in UCD.

I will not allow this travesty if it is proven i was marked wrongly. Is there any guidelines in place to deal with those few who are determined enough to get what is rightfully theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I feel the exact same with English... I honestly feel I should've gotten atleast a B. Everyone in my class either got Cs or Ds, ordinary and higher...

I'm appealing mine, I don't have enough points for my course and even if I went up a grade or two I probably still won't have enough points... I'm just appealing it to see if I actually got the grade I deserved, which I genuinely don't think I did. Seriously, getting Bs and the odd A all year round, gots a C1 last year.. To a C3 this year? Must've been some fierce corrector marking ours! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

I have been robbed of a place in my favoured course
    Firstly, the course offers haven't come out yet
    i studied the marking schemes
    Nor have the marking schemes

Definitely view them. Talk to your teacher when you view the paper and if you and your teacher find a mistake in the application of the marking scheme, get it rechecked
    There are usually places for those who got the points. If there are no places left in the course, they keep you a place for next year.
    Yes, but take the first steps first!

• Advertisement

I will not wait till next year.
    I did TY and am 18. I have no intention of repeating.
    By marking scheme's i meant i had studies previous year's marking scheme's and had a fair idea of how to hit on the question properly.

I am not dissapointed. Just annoyed.

Also thanks to those who replied. That info helps quite a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I will not wait till next year.
    I did TY and am 18. I have no intention of repeating.
    By marking scheme's i meant i had studies previous year's marking scheme's and had a fair idea of how to hit on the question properly.

I am not dissapointed. Just annoyed.

Also thanks to those who replied. That info helps quite a bit.

Unfortunately, you dont have much of a choice. If you don't do a plc or take a course lower on your list then you will have to wait until next year. I know its a horrible situation and you feel that its so unfair but there isnt much that can be done about it.

Dont worry, a year is not that long away. You are 18 now thats not too old. There are many many people who start college at 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I'm starting college at 19 :P my birthday soon :D

And trust me, I know people going into first year and they're 21, some 16... It varies :)

Good luck with appealing it :)

I will be taking this to the highest level if it is found I was robbed.

I will not back down and let this slide. This is my future.

If it needs to go to the court... so be it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Calm down.

You won't have the funds to take anything to court and such a case would take years to run its course, so forget that.

Anyway, you're wasting valuable emotional and physical energy getting yourself worked up over this on a day you should be happy. Revisit it all after you have checked your scripts.

You may spot something in reviewing your scripts that explains where you lost the marks and decide not to even go for a recheck.

Is your Business teacher an experienced examiner who would know the standard of marking in exams?

• Advertisement

Yes she is. She did it when she was younger.

It's just that I am almost certain I deserved at least a C2 :(

My whole year was marked hard as well... many smart people got D's and a girl who would have been going for medicine failed it. So It's not just me who has been robbed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

See can you contact her and ask will she help you out by looking at the script with you. That way you know if your request for a recheck has a chance of being awarded an upgrade or not.

The marking schemes will be out by the time you do the viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TIMR007ROX

If you're pretty confident you got your course but feel that some subjects were marked unjustly, would getting them subjects rechecked mean that you have to wait for them to come back and miss out on offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jenifa

OMG!! It's not just me then!!
    Usually get within the top 5% all year in class test, around high B's,
    In the pres got a B
    The real thing A D1.

!!!!!

I'm definitely getting a recheck, but am worried, as if I do go up and get the points for my course, it will already have commence by the october.

:(

But at least it will reflect the grade I deserve once rechecked.
    No way did I genuinely get a D grade! Did I ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

Preach gurl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

If you feel you deserved better, get it rechecked. I've never gotten less than an A1 in Business ever, I did 5 mocks and managed A1's, 95%+ in each. Got my results today and got a B1.

I got 525 and need 450 for my course but I think I owe it to myself to get it rechecked and see if I deserved an A1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

You seriously need to calm down. You can go and blame everyone else for your mistakes. If you do get it rechecked get a higher mark then you will just have to wait, but the chances are that you will not get a higher mark.

What exactley do you expect to achieve by "taking this to the highest level"? If they decide you were given the wrong mark then they will give you the correct mark and you may get your chosen course. Problem solved and there will be no need to go to court.

With points set to rise I would say there is a chance that you wouldn't have gotten your course anyway.

It seems that business was marked hard, once again. I think last year people were complaining too (Including myself - I was expecting a B1 at least and got a C1 instead)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Similar problem here, got a B2 in the mocks in business and got a D2 today, yet I have no idea how :S
    Possibly going to get it re-checked. And in your case, OP, it's worth getting your teacher to look at it at least to see if he/she thinks it's worth getting appealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

TIMR007ROX wrote: »
    If you're pretty confident you got your course but feel that some subjects were marked unjustly, would getting them subjects rechecked mean that you have to wait for them to come back and miss out on offers?

No. You can accept any offers in the meantime. You don't need to wait for your recheck results.

Once you get your recheck results, if you are entitled to a new course then you will be offered that. You can enroll and start another course in the meantime though. Neither will affect the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Sickened got a D1 in English was expecting a c1 never got such a low grade getting it rechecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Are there set dates for viewing the scripts? Do you have to arrange this in advance. My daughter felt she would get a higher grade in French and is considering a re-check. How would this work with the tape and oral part? Will she be told the grade she received in each section or just grade for paper and then figure out the overall grade for the rest? Overall she's thrilled but this one result is significantly lower than the others.

Also, have heard from her school that a lot of people did worse in business than expected, but it seems that many were expecting an A1/A2.. Are expectations very high for this in general and the reality different? Noticed a lot of people on this board saying the same. Will the breakdown of A1s etc be provided?

dubdub123 wrote: »
    Are there set dates for viewing the scripts? Do you have to arrange this in advance. My daughter felt she would get a higher grade in French and is considering a re-check. How would this work with the tape and oral part? Will she be told the grade she received in each section or just grade for paper and then figure out the overall grade for the rest? Overall she's thrilled but this one result is significantly lower than the others.

Also, have heard from her school that a lot of people did worse in business than expected, but it seems that many were expecting an A1/A2.. Are expectations very high for this in general and the reality different? Noticed a lot of people on this board saying the same. Will the breakdown of A1s etc be provided?

Yes, the dates for viewing are on the form she got with her results.

I don't know what they do regarding the oral marks, sorry.

Perhaps the school's teachers over-estimated the ability of the students. Some people today get mixed up between 'I want' and 'I deserve'.

The statistics are already up on the SEC site - here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

dubdub123 wrote: »

I believe you can see your oral and aural results when you review the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Great thanks guys ! I know there was another sheet of paper with the results so I'll grab that now. In the excitement it wasn't looked at. Overall she is delighted with her results, but the standalone French grade is significantly lower than she expected (C3). Thanks for the info, and for that link as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Get it rechecked. I know you're really frustrated about it now & think if it doesn't get you your college place it doesn't matter, but it does. Apparently only 2 students in my whole year got A1s in English, and I still regret not getting my Physics & English rechecked even though I got my first choice.
    It wont hurt you to check it anyway, it can only help you in the long run, so it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Can your grade go down from getting the script re-checked?

I want to get my art paper re-checked because even though I have enough points from my course I'm not sure the grade (B2) was right, and because the art papers are corrected by 3 different people maybe I lost marks from that.

Are the art re-checks done by the same examiner or is it 3 different ones again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I'm getting 3/4 rechecked and especially business I got the same result as last year when last year I know I did worse. Also english I got A/Bs and C1 all year around and only got a D1 in the actual. I'll look at them first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Is this a common thread every year, god almighty I'm actually raging today. I went back after 10 years to do Hons Irish as I want to do teaching. Worked my ass off, paid a fortune in grinds. Had a great oral - even the examiner said so. This is my third time doing the leaving cert - repeated it back when I was 17 too for another subject.

Logged on today - bloody D2. Grinds teacher is appalled. An undeserved insult.

The other 2 times I did it, with little effort - got a B1 in pass Irish.

I'll be viewing my scripts and then appealing, that's for sure. The thoughts of having to go back again, for a fourth time, when I have to work etc is just, depressing me.

Oh - and you can't see any oral or practical markings or results when viewing scripts by the way.

Also, I was told by a external candidate Irish teacher that external candidates are marked a bit easier - is that a myth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My question is:

Less of the drama queen stuff.

You think you got a C2, you don't know that you got a C2, you were given a D2.

Script viewing is usually on around the last few days of August/first few days of September. Go and view your script (with your teacher if possible). You can then see if you deserve more marks.

If you find answers in your paper that you think deserve marks according to the marking scheme and you weren't given the marks, then send it back for recorrection. If you are awarded a higher grade and the extra points result in you having the points for a course which you missed out on then you will be given a place on the course and can start late. It's usually only courses like Dentistry/Medicine that have to defer places for the year because the courses are so small and specialised.

But please, less of the 'I'm taking this to court and heads will roll attitude', there may have been a mistake, you may only deserve a D2. You clearly haven't read up on the appeals process when you are scaremongering like above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭opticalillusion

Just looked at the stats there... it's telling me nearly 95% of people in Ireland did better than me in Irish, and I busted my ass, no freaking way!!!

Can't wait to see my scripts.

Advertisement