Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning from UK with newborn

Options
  • 15-08-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭

My husband is currently working in the UK (Wales) and will still be under contract for several weeks after my due date. For a number of reasons we have decided that it will be easier if I join him there and I'll be moving over this Sunday. I'll be having the baby there (should be seeing an NHS midwife on Monday) but as soon as his contract ends or I and the baby are physically ok to travel (whichever happens last) we'd like to move home. We don't know exactly when his job will end and obviously we don't know exactly when the baby will be born but it's possible we could be coming home within 2 weeks of the baby being born.

We'll be driving back and getting the ferry. What sort of documentation will I need for the baby? I know that there is a common travel area so I won't need a passport to be sorted out that quickly but, if we are spot checked, will I need something else? Will the birth certificate be enough as the names of his parents will match our ID?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

As far as I'm aware a birth cert is sufficient for the baby when travelling between the UK and Ireland. That's all my sister in law needed when travelling with my nephew

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    I agree with Xdancer.

I emailed my ferry company (Irish Ferries) and asked what ID my 3mth old needed to travel. They replied that his birth cert was acceptable as long as he was travelling with a parent named on said cert.

I dont think it was even looked at when we went to be honest.

Good luck for the future!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Yep birth cert is enough.

Advertisement