Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband line downgraded

• 15-08-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

I've been with Vodafone since they took over from BT, and have had a consistently good speed of around 6-7Mb all that time. It's been slow for the last week or so (2.5-4Mb) and after querying it with them they say my line is now only capable of 5Mb. Not a happy camper :mad:

Vodafone rep tells me "It doesn't tell me a date as to when it went to 5MB but it more than likely more people using lines on your exchange which may lower other lines on the exchange, but definately 5MB is the max the line can handle at this time."

Am I being fed a load of BS?

Vinnie

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If a load of new customers are in your area you must share a 200 pair or larger cable with them to the exchange.

Each can interfere with the other meaning that as someone near the exchange gets a 24mbit service those further out drop in speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

Thanks Spongebob. I don't think this is the issue though. In fact I live about 200 metres from the exchange. I have excellent stats reported from my router (insofar as I understand them) but its also reporting a lower data rate than previously. It seems to me that my speed is being throttled

Vinnie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd suspect line damage, perhaps water in a junction box. Have you unplugged eveything in the house ( esp phones, sky boxes and even the filters) and plugged the modem right into the master socket with no filter?? Throw up your stats for a look see too and do you get disconnects at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭vinniemac

Not sure if my complaining worked with VF, but I'm back to normal speeds again :D

Advertisement