Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard for M-ITX Hackintosh Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Lots of fun trying to fit a proper graphics card into those small cases :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

@srsly: The Prodigy is actually a great little case. It'll easily take, and cool, a 680.

@IrishMetalHead: Probably this one is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

Serephucus wrote: »
    @srsly: The Prodigy is actually a great little case. It'll easily take, and cool, a 680.

@IrishMetalHead: Probably this one is your best bet.

yup the prodigy was not only designed to fit full graphics card but a full water cooled system aswell =P

was looking at that board earlier but would i need to mess with the bios or would it support it on the fly?

Why would you have to mess with its BIOS?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

i thaught the bios have to support the max os's thats why i'm asking about compatibility

• Advertisement

Z77 board doesn't need bios flash for new chips, Z68 boards do.

To support the max OSs? I'm confused.

I can't think of any reason why the board would need a BIOS flash.

Something to do with UEFI and linux probably. This isn't a problem with standalone boards, only a problem with OEM machines that are configured to only boot signed os I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Serephucus wrote: »
    To support the max OSs? I'm confused.

I can't think of any reason why the board would need a BIOS flash.

It's not exactly to support Mac OS X itself but rather to do with power management in the OS itself - e.g I have an ASUS P8Z68/Gen.3 and I'm running Mountain Lion on it. On my board, without flashing a custom BIOS, things like sleep would not work at all and I'd also have kernel panics in some instances. So yes, some boards may need a BIOS flash, though it is not always essential. In a lot of cases you can get away without the BIOS flash with some compromises (e.g sleep not working) and with many boards it's not needed at all.

OP, your best best for a Hackintosh is actually a Gigabyte board - they are the most compatible out of the box. Have a look here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ie/search/label/CustoMac

I knew hackintoshes were a lot of hassle, but didn't know about bios flashing for it... Would it not be a lot easier to run photoshop on windows?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I was dual booting OSX and Win7 for a while last year.

Specs at the time were 2500K, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, 560ti, and either 8 or 12GB of RAM. Worked grand, followed a guide from somewhere and had no major issues at all. When I got my SSD, I decided to not bother reinstalling OSX as I wasn't using it anyway.

srsly78 wrote: »
    I knew hackintoshes were a lot of hassle, but didn't know about bios flashing for it...

It's not that much of a hassle :). The BIOS flash is not really an issue on a lot of motherboards either - most people starting out go with a Gigabyte board anyway since it doesn't need that kind of messing at all. I just had bought everything before I decided I'd try my hand at hackintoshing (I have "real" Macs and prefer the OS, only really use Windows for gaming and nothing else).

I meant it was hassle finding compatible parts. I tried it before and ragequit pretty quickly coz my gear wasn't suitable :pac:

srsly78 wrote: »
    I meant it was hassle finding compatible parts. I tried it before and ragequit pretty quickly coz my gear wasn't suitable :pac:

Yeah, if your gear is not pretty much out of the box compatible, it can be a major pain getting stuff to work - the tonymacx86 guides I linked to are pretty good though, at least if you haven't bought anything yet, like the OP by the looks of it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ugh... sorry, no overt discussion of hackintoshes allowed, Apple has a funny habit of suing people who even say the word :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement