Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths matriculation

• 15-08-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I got enough points for my first choice im fairly sure but stupidly, i didnt read the entry requirements properly and only spotted now that if you do ordinary maths you have to sit a special maths matticulation exam in nuig. This exam is on the 22nd so my question is, if i fail this exam (which i probably will) or if i dont even sit it, what happens after ive accepted the cao offer.
    Sorry if thats a bit hard to follow !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Im not sure, but I would say that it is mandatory.

If you don't do it/pass it then your offer would be revoked. I dont know if you would be accepted onto another course then.

Im sure someone will have some more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

conlor27 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I got enough points for my first choice im fairly sure but stupidly, i didnt read the entry requirements properly and only spotted now that if you do ordinary maths you have to sit a special maths matticulation exam in nuig. This exam is on the 22nd so my question is, if i fail this exam (which i probably will) or if i dont even sit it, what happens after ive accepted the cao offer.
    Ah so you wanted to do engineering I take it? as it currently works, if you sit the exam and pass, nuig tell the CAO to approve you for round two offers, as you do not have HL maths you are excluded from round one for this course. If you do not sit the exam I presume that it'll go to your second choice in round two. However your second choice could have been filled in round one already which you would be excluded from. therefore it would go to your third choice in round two. This is my understanding of it and it's what I could gather from the NUIG website. That exam does have a very high pass rate, the college are doing a free 5 day prep course for it next week for free that you sign up to on the engineering homepage. It would be worth a look. Engineering is a good course if that is in fact what you are applying for.

Also your level 7 list will proceed as normal, your first choice will be included in round one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 conlor27

yer man! wrote: »
    Ah so you wanted to do engineering I take it? as it currently works, if you sit the exam and pass, nuig tell the CAO to approve you for round two offers, as you do not have HL maths you are excluded from round one for this course. If you do not sit the exam I presume that it'll go to your second choice in round two. However your second choice could have been filled in round one already which you would be excluded from. therefore it would go to your third choice in round two. This is my understanding of it and it's what I could gather from the NUIG website. That exam does have a very high pass rate, the college are doing a free 5 day prep course for it next week for free that you sign up to on the engineering homepage. It would be worth a look. Engineering is a good course if that is in fact what you are applying for.

Also your level 7 list will proceed as normal, your first choice will be included in round one.

Ah ok yea i think i know what will happen now thanks!
    Im absolutely raging after being on a high from getting enough points and all and now it seems i wont be doing the course. Like i have to get accomodation and everything for those 5 days, not to mention the fact that im not too confident at passing it (it seems theres quite a lot of higher level content in the exam). I wouldnt mind getting my second choice but as you said im terrified ill miss out on it if its filled!
    Oh well, the safest option looks like taking my lvl7 offer!
    Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Ah ok yea i think i know what will happen now thanks!
    Im absolutely raging after being on a high from getting enough points and all and now it seems i wont be doing the course. Like i have to get accomodation and everything for those 5 days, not to mention the fact that im not too confident at passing it (it seems theres quite a lot of higher level content in the exam). I wouldnt mind getting my second choice but as you said im terrified ill miss out on it if its filled!
    Thanks for clearing that up for me :)
    Btw be careful about what you select, it could end up costing you dearly.... like myself, i wanted to do engineering but did science instead, one year to go and i'm going to do engineering afterwards as science doesn't suit me. I presume your level 7 course is very similar to your level 8 first choice? if it is then you always have the option of transferring to a university a few years into the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Remember that once you accept your level 7, you can't also accept a level 8, so don't use that as a "back up". The best thing to do would be to ring the admissions office in NUIG and ask them exactly what happens if you don't pass the entrance exam (or ask on the NUIG forum). If you decide to take it, it'd be well worth it to take the 5 day preparation course, or see if you could get the range of topics covered in the exam and get some grinds closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 conlor27

Called the cao today and they said ill just be offered my second choice because i havent fullfilled the entry requirements for no.1 . Thank god im gonna get my second choice:) i thought i wouldn't get anything if i didnt sit that maths entrance exam.

Advertisement