Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken phone glass

Options
  • 15-08-2012 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

So the glass on my phone broke from having it in my back pocket. Initially this manifested itself as a small crack at the very top of the screen (off the actual "screen" part). I was going to live with that since it wasn't really impacting in any way but this initial weakness resulted in the screen eventually being completely shattered.

So....I wanted it repaired under warranty as it was only 6 weeks old. I contest that the phone (a HTC One X) was not fit for purpose if I can't have it in my back pocket without the glass breaking. I'm guessing that there was a manufacturing flaw in the glass because I'm not a big guy (11 stone). They're not interested (totterdells) and want 180 + vat to repair the screen. Ridiculous money IMO.

It should be clear from looking at the phone that it never fell. I treated it like a baby (and I never considered putting the phone in my back pocket to be abusive to it. I have carried phones in my back pocket since they were small enough for that to be viable and have never had an issue like this).

What are my options here?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From a HTC user safety and warranty manual
    Do not apply excessive pressure on the screen and the device to prevent damaging them and remove the device from your pants’ pocket before sitting down. It is also recommended that you store the device in a protective case and only use the device stylus or your finger when interacting with the touch screen. Cracked display screens due to improper handling are not covered by the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭punchypunchy

Thanks. I suppose that covers them nicely. Seems a bit excessive that you can't put your phone in your back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Your warranty is void as this is physical damage. If it's just the outer screen, get a replacement from ebay for a few quid and look up a youtube video to get pointers on fitting it yourself. This is what they're charging the quoted fee for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You put your phone in your back pocket???? :eek:

No offense but whatever about a front pocket putting it in a back pocket which you are then going to SIT ON isn't a very good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

What are my options here?

Stand I would have thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It should be clear from looking at the phone that it never fell. I treated it like a baby (and I never considered putting the phone in my back pocket to be abusive to it. I have carried phones in my back pocket since they were small enough for that to be viable and have never had an issue like this).

Not really sure what the good folks over on the parenting forum would say about stuff kids in back pockets and sitting on them.

Do you have insurance on the phone?
    I think in fairness to you OP a lot of people put handsets in their back pockets, although because of the size you the One X, there'd be a lot more leverage with regard to bending it when you sit on it. I'm guessing that extra leverage would have caused the damage as the phone itself does have pretty strong glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Thanks. I suppose that covers them nicely. Seems a bit excessive that you can't put your phone in your back pocket.

Why on earth would you think it okay to sit on your phone?

Advertisement