Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reclaim Pet

• 15-08-2012 4:27pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi
    this may sound silly but its bothering me for a long time. Years ago I came across a collie that was on his way to the pound. Long Story. I told the lady from the pound I would take him. To be honest had nt really thought about what i was going to do with him. It was 3 yrs ago and i knew I would be returning to college in Sep. My niece asked me if she could have him. She lives with her Dad and her younger brother so I agreed.
    Anyway I feel the dog is there too much on his own. He needs alot of excercise and I dont feel they appreciate this. If i try explaining it she gets a bit thick over it. I offer to walk the dog and im told "theres no one there to let you in or out"
    I have been really upset over it for along time. I wouldnt mind so much if they let me walk him. (its not that hes never walked but he needs a serious amount of excercise a day). When they went on holidays i minded him and had to take him to the vet with an unnoticed ear infection he also said blood tests show he is stressed (may be from being in a different house (My house) or longterm loneliness)
    Anyway I am in a good positon now to look after the dog and my partner and I are looking at a big house with an acre to buy which would be ideas
    My niece is moving to college and i would love to take the dog back but dont know is it 1) fair 2) if she will give him to me
    By the way the dog loves me and always tries to get into my car with me when i drop him back from holidays or walks
    I have no legal ownership of the dog! What to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Sounds like your niece owns the dog now, its been three years.

But no harm in suggesting it, tell them that you rescued it from the pound in the first place, and emphasize how you can give the dog a better life!

But sure if they say no then you cant blame them, theyve had the dog for three years.

Its unfortunate that they aren't exercising him enough but all you can do is encourage them.

Ask for a spare key so you can walk the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Sounds like the dog's already made up his mind!!

I guess the best and most diplomatic way to put it to them is to make it seem like they'd be doing you a favour by letting you take him, kind of 'my girlfriends really fallen in love with him, we would love a dog for when we move to our new house, I really enjoyed looking after him I really do have a soft spot for the little fecker, now you're going off to college it might help him get over missing you if he had me to be there for him', something like that, lay it on thick (is that a bit too thick?!), only you know them and your relationship with them so just give it your best shot!

Hope it works out for you and doggy whatever happens!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

Hi thanks for your reply
    Ya I understand that I it is their dog and their decision its difficult
    i mentioned it before about a key and it did nt happen
    To be honest it was my own fault for giving him to them as they have never had a dog
    I got him yesterday he was stuck in the house all day on a roasting day I offered to take him for the weekend so he is happy out here running around all the time!
    the effort it took to get him out of the house yesterday was a joke! if i hadnt taken him he would of been stuck in the house all day!! and this is everday
    Im gonna try talk to him when i give him back tom
    thanks anyway !

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Sounds like the dog's already made up his mind!!

I guess the best and most diplomatic way to put it to them is to make it seem like they'd be doing you a favour by letting you take him, kind of 'my girlfriends really fallen in love with him, we would love a dog for when we move to our new house, I really enjoyed looking after him I really do have a soft spot for the little fecker, now you're going off to college it might help him get over missing you if he had me to be there for him', something like that, lay it on thick (is that a bit too thick?!), only you know them and your relationship with them so just give it your best shot!

Hope it works out for you and doggy whatever happens!

Hi ive tried the nicey nicey way and it hasnt worked
    I ve suggested taking him while they are working for a few days etc and it has nt worked . They dont seem to see a problem with him being there all day on his own!
    Made up my mind im gonna talk to them next week !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Do you and your partner work? If so, how long will the dog be left on his own? Looking after a dog for the odd weekend or for holidays is very different to having one day in and day out. Can you honestly say the dog would be better off with you?
    The blood tests that show stress, did you have the owners permission to do them? Surprised the vet would do them on a dog that you dont own. However, the dog was on his way to the pound, which suggests he didnt have a good start in life, being a collie they can be quite neurotic anyway, and so the stress may always be there, no matter what. We have a dog that came out of a pound 4 years ago he has lots of company but is still stressed, we are trying medication but its not making much difference.
    I dont know this dog or the family, but you say he is exercised and they leave him inside when they go out, nice and safe, they're not letting him wander. They sound like good owners and the dog is safe. Would you consider adooting another dog from a pound or shelter, one who desperately needs a loving home, sounds like you have a lot to give and would be great to save another dog's life. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

You took the dog on on impulse and gave it up shortly afterwards when you realised your circumstances weren't suitable to dog ownership. The person you gave the dog to has had it for three long years now, most likely a quarter or more of its life. Three years that it has been loved, taken care of both emotionally and financially and been a part of their family and now that your circumstances have changed you want it back?

Sorry but you need to cop on and fairly rapidly before the family members in question want little more to do with you. It's their dog, not yours. Get your own dog and stop pestering these people. If you're so concerned about its walking, offer to walk it with your own dog.

PieForPi wrote: »
    You took the dog on on impulse and gave it up shortly afterwards when you realised your circumstances weren't suitable to dog ownership. The person you gave the dog to has had it for three long years now, most likely a quarter or more of its life. Three years that it has been loved, taken care of both emotionally and financially and been a part of their family and now that your circumstances have changed you want it back?

Sorry but you need to cop on and fairly rapidly before the family members in question want little more to do with you. It's their dog, not yours. Get your own dog and stop pestering these people. If you're so concerned about its walking, offer to walk it with your own dog.
    I think you have misunderstood me? Yes I can go and get a dog its not about having a dog its about this dog. the dog is constantly on his own all day and weekends! that is my point! I gave them the dog and it was a bad idea. Im not pestering "these" people. I took the dog and I have a responsiility to ensure his welfare is looked after! Dogs do not think in time they live in the present. If they are happy in the present they are happy - if they are not there not!

ISDW wrote: »
    Do you and your partner work? If so, how long will the dog be left on his own? Looking after a dog for the odd weekend or for holidays is very different to having one day in and day out. Can you honestly say the dog would be better off with you?
    The blood tests that show stress, did you have the owners permission to do them? Surprised the vet would do them on a dog that you dont own. However, the dog was on his way to the pound, which suggests he didnt have a good start in life, being a collie they can be quite neurotic anyway, and so the stress may always be there, no matter what. We have a dog that came out of a pound 4 years ago he has lots of company but is still stressed, we are trying medication but its not making much difference.
    I dont know this dog or the family, but you say he is exercised and they leave him inside when they go out, nice and safe, they're not letting him wander. They sound like good owners and the dog is safe. Would you consider adooting another dog from a pound or shelter, one who desperately needs a loving home, sounds like you have a lot to give and would be great to save another dog's life. :)

Hi thanks for your reply the thing is he is not excercised daily maybe once or more a week. He s not neurotic either he just likes company. Id love to get a dog but i just feel i need to sort out this situation first. My friends have told me to tell them cop on or Im taking him back.I really messed up giving him to them in the first place!!

tricialou wrote: »
    Hi thanks for your reply the thing is he is not excercised daily maybe once or more a week. He s not neurotic either he just likes company. Id love to get a dog but i just feel i need to sort out this situation first. My friends have told me to tell them cop on or Im taking him back.I really messed up giving him to them in the first place!!

Oh ya and the vet told me to just take him back of them as well!!

I think you have misunderstood me? Yes I can go and get a dog its not about having a dog its about this dog.

It's not your dog, you have absolutely no claim over it so if you think it's being abused then contacted the SPCA and let them deal with it. If not, you're harassing people over something that is, quite frankly, none of your business.
    the dog is constantly on his own all day and weekends! that is my point!

That does not give you any claim over it.
    I gave them the dog and it was a bad idea.

You taking a dog when your circumstances couldn't support it was a bad idea.
    Im not pestering "these" people.

You clearly are. You've asked them for a key and for more access to the dog and you've been ignored. Surely that is a big enough hint?
    I took the dog and I have a responsiility to ensure his welfare is looked after!

You gave up your responsibility to the dog when you gave it away three years ago. You have no claim or responsibility to it now.
    Dogs do not think in time they live in the present. If they are happy in the present they are happy - if they are not there not!

Well, so do you, quite clearly. "Oooh!A nice dog, I'll take it!" then you get it home "Oooh damn, I'm not going to be able to support this dog, here, you take it!" followed by a few years down the line "Oooh, I want a dog now, give me that one back it was mine!".

The fact that you had blood work ran on a someone else's animal when you brought it to the vet over a fairly straight forward ear infection, whose results you are now trying to use as a weapon against the pet's owners, screams odd to me.

I can see you can't even fathom how out of line you are here, but your relatives would be quite right in telling you to feck off and not come back if they're aware of the disclosures you've made here.

Cop yourself on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

I totally agree with this post. You gave away the dog 3 years ago. It belongs to your relatives now. Move on. It is unacceptable to try and get the dog back after all this time. Imagine how you would feel if the situation was reversed....

It's not your dog, you have absolutely no claim over it so if you think it's being abused then contacted the SPCA and let them deal with it. If not, you're harassing people over something that is, quite frankly, none of your business.

That does not give you any claim over it.

You taking a dog when your circumstances couldn't support it was a bad idea.

You clearly are. You've asked them for a key and for more access to the dog and you've been ignored. Surely that is a big enough hint?

You gave up your responsibility to the dog when you gave it away three years ago. You have no claim or responsibility to it now.

Well, so do you, quite clearly. "Oooh!A nice dog, I'll take it!" then you get it home "Oooh damn, I'm not going to be able to support this dog, here, you take it!" followed by a few years down the line "Oooh, I want a dog now, give me that one back it was mine!".

The fact that you had blood work ran on a someone else's animal when you brought it to the vet over a fairly straight forward ear infection, whose results you are now trying to use as a weapon against the pet's owners, screams odd to me.

I can see you can't even fathom how out of line you are here, but your relatives would be quite right in telling you to feck off and not come back if they're aware of the disclosures you've made here.

Cop yourself on.

You obviously have no regard for animal welfare so maybe you should reconsider before posting on animal welfare issues! You do not understand the point that I am making that the dog is not looked after - so its either take him back or call the pound!!

You obviously have no regard for animal welfare so maybe you should reconsider before posting on animal welfare issues! You do not understand the point that I am making that the dog is not looked after - so its either take him back or call the pound!!
    Do you have any idea how absolutely insane you're coming across?

Even the smallest iota?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Tricialou, you don't own the dog and have therefore no right to demand it returned to you. Talk to your niece again and try -politely- to come to an arrangement where you can exercise the dog, but be prepared to accept it if your offer is declined.

Do you have any idea how absolutely insane you're coming across?

Even the smallest iota?

Yes if worrying about a dog that is not looked after is insane im guilty!!! and if paying for veterinary treatment for a dog cos the owners wont is mad then im that too! As I said dont respond to animal welfare posts when you dont have any regard for it and find another outlet for yourself !

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭CorkBabe33

Have you proof that the animal is being mistreated?? From your earlier posts so far it seems to be just a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Is this some kind of wind up? The vet told you to just take the dog back? :eek:

It sounds like no matter what anyone here says to try and make you see that you're way out of line you'll just ignore it as you've already made up your mind on the subject, ie. the dog is yours now you just need to figure out how to steal/dognap it, unbelievable!

CorkBabe33 wrote: »
    Have you proof that the animal is being mistreated?? From your earlier posts so far it seems to be just a matter of opinion.
    The pounds and SPCA's are packed to the brim with dogs that have genuinely been mistreated, scores of whom will be put to death tomorrow simply because they don't have the space to keep them because more mistreated pets will be coming in, so why not go hell bent after saving some of them?

How do you know you can even offer the dog a good home yourself?
    pm1977x wrote:
    The vet told you to just take the dog back?

I don't believe this happened at all to be honest, I think this in lunacy chasing credibility and justification for said lunacy.
    pm1977x wrote:
    It sounds like no matter what anyone here says to try and make you see that you're way out of line you'll just ignore it as you've already made up your mind on the subject, ie. the dog is yours now you just need to figure out how to steal/dognap it, unbelievable!

Absolutely. She was hoping to get a bunch of replies encouraging her to steal someone's dog, which is what this amounts to, and is now disappointed that it has gone the opposite direction and is basically accusing everyone who disagrees with her plan to steal the dog of being someone who has no regard for animal welfare.

The pounds and SPCA's are packed to the brim with dogs that have genuinely been mistreated, scores of whom will be put to death tomorrow simply because they don't have the space to keep them because more mistreated pets will be coming in, so why not go hell bent after saving some of them?

How do you know you can even offer the dog a good home yourself?

I don't believe this happened at all to be honest, I think this in lunacy chasing credibility and justification for said lunacy.

Absolutely. She was hoping to get a bunch of replies encouraging her to steal someone's dog, which is what this amounts to, and is now disappointed that it has gone the opposite direction and is basically accusing everyone who disagrees with her plan to steal the dog of being someone who has no regard for animal welfare.

ok i ll take everyones advise and leave the dog there! Stuck in side 24/7! funny when I took him back the other day I had to drag him into his house as he was following and trying to get into my car! Funny hes been treated so well at home he tries to run away from his owners! Sure it was nice to get the opinions of the experts anyway! thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

ok i ll take everyones advise and leave the dog there! Stuck in side 24/7! funny when I took him back the other day I had to drag him into his house as he was following and trying to get into my car! Funny hes been treated so well at home he tries to run away from his owners! Sure it was nice to get the opinions of the experts anyway! thanks

You said in your original post that they give him to you when they go on holidays. You also said he tries to get back into your car after walks. So clearly you are taking him for walks and then dropping him back to his owner's house. You said you are *looking* at a house, you have said nothing about whether or not the one you are in now is suitable for a dog.

Where did you take him the other day? I thought they weren't allowing you access to the dog for walks?

He's inside 24/7? Good God, there must be doggie poo and pee everywhere!

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    Is this some kind of wind up? The vet told you to just take the dog back? :eek:

Yes the vet said to take him back but sure you and the experts here have decided that its ok to have a dog housebound 24/7 not be flea wormed/ vaccinated/ Walked regularly so obviously Im a crazy person for even bother to worry about these unimportant matters and also the fact he doesnt ever want to go back with them after I have him but sure Im just looking for support to steal a dog!!!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    You said in your original post that they give him to you when they go on holidays. You also said he tries to get back into your car after walks. So clearly you are taking him for walks and then dropping him back to his owner's house. You said you are *looking* at a house, you have said nothing about whether or not the one you are in now is suitable for a dog.

Where did you take him the other day? I thought they weren't allowing you access to the dog for walks?

He's inside 24/7? Good God, there must be doggie poo and pee everywhere!
    No he has a garden outside the back! yes i had him for a few days! Anyway I didnt write the post to get bashed by everyone for simply having concern for a dog. It is not for selfish reasons that I want the dog as I know I ca go to a pound in the morn and get any dog! Yes I have a suitable place at present!

No he has a garden outside the back! yes i had him for a few days! Anyway I didnt write the post to get bashed by everyone for simply having concern for a dog. It is not for selfish reasons that I want the dog as I know I ca go to a pound in the morn and get any dog! Yes I have a suitable place at present!

But you said he's been kept inside 24/7!! In fact, you said it twice! He's house-trained, fed, not made sleep outside and is not chained to a kennel and left there to whine.

Did the vet tell you that the dog could end up suffering severe separation anxiety if you take him? That he will scream and cry, possibly tear up your house and do his business all over the floor because he is not used to YOU leaving him alone? Did he tell you that even though he loves you, he will likely try to make his way back to his original territory?

But you said he's been kept inside 24/7!! In fact, you said it twice! He's house-trained, fed, not made sleep outside and is not chained to a kennel and left there to whine.

Did the vet tell you that the dog could end up suffering severe separation anxiety if you take him? That he will scream and cry, possibly tear up your house and do his business all over the floor because he is not used to YOU leaving him alone? Did he tell you that even though he loves you, he will likely try to make his way back to his original territory?

No because I have had the dog for long periods of time and I have in a routine when he is with me early morn walk and evening walk and I also left him alone with no separation anxiety! He gets separation anxiety when i go which is why partly I think they try to avoid me walking him sometimes! And I have veterinary experience myself although not practicing so I dont need a vets opinion I have my own degree!

No because I have had the dog for long periods of time and I have in a routine when he is with me early morn walk and evening walk and I also left him alone with no separation anxiety! He gets separation anxiety when i go which is why partly I think they try to avoid me walking him sometimes! And I have veterinary experience myself although not practicing so I dont need a vets opinion I have my own degree!

So, he's already developed it.
    If you are coming on here asking advice on if it is fair or not (since you stated in your OP that you didn't know if it was) then you don't have as much experience with animals as you are letting on. You would know how to handle this, as all proper veterinary surgeons know how to correctly handle people who are looking after their dogs incorrectly.
    I should also point out that not all vets are animal behaviourists. If I take my dog to my mother's, she gives him leftover dinner, chocolate biscuits and lets him sleep on the couch and drink out of her tea mug. You think he actually willingly leaves to come back to my house?! No, of course not. Because, like any child, he knows where he's getting spoilt.

You did sound genuinly unsure and concerned about doing the right thing, while knowing that it might not be fair, and that you knew you had absolutely no rights to the dog.
    When it didn't go your way, you rebelled and now you've gotten on your high horse and continue to give cheek and talk down to those who told you what you can do, and what you can't do.

If you are so qualified and sure of yourself, call the ISPCA and dog warden, and have your niece reported for animal cruelty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Maybe we could take the drama-queening down a notch or two (or is that just my perception).

OP, have you had a chat with the dog owners to see if they'd like you to take on their dog, either temporarily or permanently? They *may* feel the same as you, that your home would be better for their dog. Or they may not.

I'm taking it from what you've said that when you originally rescued the dog, your circumstances weren't such that you could bring him for a daily walk and spend lots of time with him, whereas now your circumstances have changed and this would be possible. (Are your circumstances likely to remain the same?)

I can understand that the family don't want to allow someone to just mooch in and wander around their house with his own keys. But you're apparently their unofficial dog minder for the moment. It may be that you can come to a happy arrangement about this; it may not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

If you are coming on here asking advice on if it is fair or not (since you stated in your OP that you didn't know if it was) then you don't have as much experience with animals as you are letting on. You would know how to handle this, as all proper veterinary surgeons know how to correctly handle people who are looking after their dogs incorrectly.
    I should also point out that not all vets are animal behaviourists. If I take my dog to my mother's, she gives him leftover dinner, chocolate biscuits and lets him sleep on the couch and drink out of her tea mug. You think he actually willingly leaves to come back to my house?! No, of course not. Because, like any child, he knows where he's getting spoilt.

You did sound genuinly unsure and concerned about doing the right thing, while knowing that it might not be fair, and that you knew you had absolutely no rights to the dog.
    When it didn't go your way, you rebelled and now you've gotten on your high horse and continue to give cheek and talk down to those who told you what you can do, and what you can't do.

If you are so qualified and sure of yourself, call the ISPCA and dog warden, and have your niece reported for animal cruelty.

well said, op for your own sake I think you need to take a step back from all this and try to be objective because like it or not the path you're headed on is illegal

Yes I asked for genuine opinions because I am aware I have no legal rights and I gave him to young family members! I was looking for opinions to see if it would be morally correct to take the dog back to offer him a better life/ health!. I allready have 3 dogs at home it is no skin of my nose if I have another one my concern was simply for the dogs welfare!
    Some people take dogs and do not understand the requirements of the particular breed they are taking! collies need up to 4 hours excercise a day and have an innate instinct to work. If they cannot do this they are refused the right to express natural behaviour. But sure what do I know I just bought some fake degree to stick on my wall! its ironic that people that reply to animal related posts simply dont understand animal welfare !!

pm1977x wrote: »
    well said, op for your own sake I think you need to take a step back from all this and try to be objective because like it or not the path you're headed on is illegal

All that the majority of people have said is that it is cruel to move a dog from it home after 3 years but seemingly ok to leave it where it is unhappy!

• Advertisement

Yes I asked for genuine opinions because I am aware I have no legal rights and I gave him to young family members! I was looking for opinions to see if it would be morally correct to take the dog back to offer him a better life/ health!. I allready have 3 dogs at home it is no skin of my nose if I have another one my concern was simply for the dogs welfare!
    Some people take dogs and do not understand the requirements of the particular breed they are taking! collies need up to 4 hours excercise a day and have an innate instinct to work. If they cannot do this they are refused the right to express natural behaviour. But sure what do I know I just bought some fake degree to stick on my wall! its ironic that people that reply to animal related posts simply dont understand animal welfare !!

My collie doesn't get 4 hours of exercise a day. And he's terrified of sheep. Does that make me a bad owner? No, of course not. Because all dogs are different, irrespective of breed. My dog gets two walks a day, 45 minutes long each, and they're actually too long for him.
    Not all collies need to be running around like mad things for half the day after sheep.

If you understood animal welfare, you would know that it is deemed "supplying the dog with food and shelter". He's getting these, so short of stealing the dog, there is absolutely nothing you can do. As you have already been told. If the owners will not let you interact with him any more than you are already doing, then you have to lump it. In fact, the way you're going on I'd be surprised if they weren't afraid to let you walk him in case you wouldn't give him back!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement