Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reclaim Pet

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

Maybe we could take the drama-queening down a notch or two (or is that just my perception).

OP, have you had a chat with the dog owners to see if they'd like you to take on their dog, either temporarily or permanently? They *may* feel the same as you, that your home would be better for their dog. Or they may not.

I'm taking it from what you've said that when you originally rescued the dog, your circumstances weren't such that you could bring him for a daily walk and spend lots of time with him, whereas now your circumstances have changed and this would be possible. (Are your circumstances likely to remain the same?)

I can understand that the family don't want to allow someone to just mooch in and wander around their house with his own keys. But you're apparently their unofficial dog minder for the moment. It may be that you can come to a happy arrangement about this; it may not.

Thank you for your reply and good advise! yes my circumstances are different now as I was living away from home for the following two years and only back at weekends after I gave them the dog! An ideal situation would be where we could both look after the dog and he could have the best of both worlds and we could all share responsibility but the problem is explaining that this needs to happen as they dont see a problem with the way things are now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭PieForPi

tricialou wrote: »
    I also left him alone with no separation anxiety!

You just said you had three dogs at home yourself, yet he was alone there? How did this work?
    And I have veterinary experience myself although not practicing so I dont need a vets opinion I have my own degree!

But you brought him to a vet AND had bloodwork done...even though their opinion is useless? So you just like to set money on fire?

Can't keep up with the amount of utter bullsh*te you're spouting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Was just wondering myself how the OP managed to appropriate three dogs in the space of time the original dog she couldn't care for was with the new owners.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    My collie doesn't get 4 hours of exercise a day. And he's terrified of sheep. Does that make me a bad owner? No, of course not. Because all dogs are different, irrespective of breed. My dog gets two walks a day, 45 minutes long each, and they're actually too long for him.
    Not all collies need to be running around like mad things for half the day after sheep.

If you understood animal welfare, you would know that it is deemed "supplying the dog with food and shelter". He's getting these, so short of stealing the dog, there is absolutely nothing you can do. As you have already been told. If the owners will not let you interact with him any more than you are already doing, then you have to lump it. In fact, the way you're going on I'd be surprised if they weren't afraid to let you walk him in case you wouldn't give him back!

Well there lies the problem that you believe that animal welfare is food and shelter! And for gods sake I am not going to steal the dog!!!!! !! How ridiculous is that ! the whole point of this post was to look for advise on speaking to the owners !!! some people ?

I was living away from home for the following two years

Ah now we're getting to the root of it. So you're basically a child, who has never had sole responsibility of an animal, yet is standing there now telling someone how they should be dealing with their own pet...nay, threatening to basically steal it off them...without one iota of experience in dog ownership yourself, aside from taking care of what is your parents dogs?

Pardon me if I scoff aloud, but you've no idea what you're talking about.

• Advertisement

Was just wondering myself how the OP managed to appropriate three dogs in the space of time the original dog she couldn't care for was with the new owners.

Cant believe I am lowering myself to explain the fact that the 3 dogs were in my parents house at that time and I could not take another one as I would not be there for some time after during the week . I thought I was doing the right thing giving him to the kids at that time!!

Well there lies the problem that you believe that animal welfare is food and shelter! And for gods sake I am not going to steal the dog!!!!! !! How ridiculous is that ! the whole point of this post was to look for advise on speaking to the owners !!! some people ?

You were told, and you apparently did it, and it did not work. So there is nothing else you can do. You were told that. And I did not say I believed that. I said that is what it is deemed, if you had bothered to read my post without hot-headed fury :rolleyes:

In your original post, you said that you wanted to know if it was okay to take the dog back. People said no, it is not - but here are some compromises that may work. That is not what you came looking for, but since they are not working, there is nothing else you can do.

Cant believe I am lowering myself to explain the fact that the 3 dogs were in my parents house at that time and I could not take another one as I would not be there for some time after during the week . I thought I was doing the right thing giving him to the kids at that time!!

I think you'll find you simply said you have three dogs at home?
    In fact, what you said was "I allready have 3 dogs at home it is no skin of my nose if I have another one my concern was simply for the dogs welfare"
    So which is it, do you have no dogs at home, or three?

You were told, and you apparently did it, and it did not work. So there is nothing else you can do. You were told that. And I did not say I believed that. I said that is what it is deemed, if you had bothered to read my post without hot-headed fury :rolleyes:

In your original post, you said that you wanted to know if it was okay to take the dog back. People said no, it is not - but here are some compromises that may work. That is not what you came looking for, but since they are not working, there is nothing else you can do.

Well for the nosy feckers out there the other 3 dogs are hunting dogs are in a separate kennell and not in the house so that is why the dog was alone.Since ye have nothing better to be doing with yereselves that bashing people on line come around and check it out for yereselves!!!!

PieForPi wrote: »
    You just said you had three dogs at home yourself, yet he was alone there? How did this work?

But you brought him to a vet AND had bloodwork done...even though their opinion is useless? So you just like to set money on fire?

Can't keep up with the amount of utter bullsh*te you're spouting here.
    I dont need opinion s on animal welfare / behaviour. I do need lab equipment to read blood tests and that was the purpose of going to the vet. The dog was dehydrated and showing signs of diabetes so as a responsible person I decided to have bloods done! Shoot me!!!!

• Advertisement

I dont need opinion s on animal welfare / behaviour. I do need lab equipment to read blood tests and that was the purpose of going to the vet. The dog was dehydrated and showing signs of diabetes so as a responsible person I decided to have bloods done! Shoot me!!!!
    So you are a vet then?

What do your parents think of all this, since you're basically saying you'd give them another dog to deal with on top of the three they already have?

Nice to be able to "rescue" animals and offload them onto your parents/relatives though. 3 to your parents and 1 to your brother/sister. Oh but wait, 3 years later you now feel that those you offloaded an animal you couldn't take yourself onto isn't being treated right so you want to ... offload it to your parents. I'd say you felt great doing it though, you hero.

Okay first - you are awfully rude.
    Second, you seem to be elusive as to who owns the three hunting dogs
    Anyway, I thought you were interested in animal welfare, yet you keep hunting dogs outside?
    Or are they your parents dogs, in which case you still live at home so I can't see how the circumstances are any different to those which made you get rid of the dog in the first place?
    That does not change the fact that we have answered your question - you cannot take the dog, nor can you call the pound. The pound consider animal welfare being in place if the dog is fed and given shelter, so they will ignore this call. You cannot take the dog as it is not yours.

All that is left is you continue to annoy your family over this dog and possibly stop them from letting you near him altogether. If that's how you speak to a total stranger over your views on animal welfare, then I'd hate to see how you've been with the owners!

PieForPi wrote: »
    So you are a vet then?

What do your parents think of all this, since you're basically saying you'd give them another dog to deal with on top of the three they already have?

Nice to be able to "rescue" animals and offload them onto your parents/relatives though. 3 to your parents and 1 to your brother/sister. Oh but wait, 3 years later you now feel that those you offloaded an animal you couldn't take yourself onto isn't being treated right so you want to ... offload it to your parents. I'd say you felt great doing it though, you hero.

Getting really sick of this! At the time when I took the above dog I was working away from home my circumstances are different for the past year and a half and I did nt just decide I want the dog back it is an ongoing problem and now I dont think I need to be revealing personal information about myself just to keep people amused !

Getting really sick of this! At the time when I took the above dog I was working away from home my circumstances are different for the past year and a half and I did nt just decide I want the dog back it is an ongoing problem and now I dont think I need to be revealing personal information about myself just to keep people amused !

No-one asked for personal information. People asked questions that might further indicate the truth in the story. You're purposely leaving things out so that people will tell you what you want to hear. This dog is indoor. Your parents three dogs are outdoor. Do you not think that it is cruel to have the dog you want back sleep inside while the other poor things are not allowed in? Or perhaps you will have to make him stay outside with the other three?

No-one asked for personal information. People asked questions that might further indicate the truth in the story. You're purposely leaving things out so that people will tell you what you want to hear. This dog is indoor. Your parents three dogs are outdoor. Do you not think that it is cruel to have the dog you want back sleep inside while the other poor things are not allowed in? Or perhaps you will have to make him stay outside with the other three?

I dont live in my parents house. The other dogs are in appropriate kennels where they have room / food and are exercised. This is not about the hunting dogs it was about a dog that is not being looked after and ye have gone completely off the point just for the sake of havin yere own rant! For god sake dont post on things that ye have no understanding about!!!

My parents think I should nt of given them the dog as they dont know anything about dogs !!!!

I dont live in my parents house. The other dogs are in appropriate kennels where they have room / food and are exercised. This is not about the hunting dogs it was about a dog that is not being looked after and ye have gone completely off the point just for the sake of havin yere own rant! For god sake dont post on things that ye have no understanding about!!!

No, you said YOU have three dogs already, and one more would be no skin off your nose.
    If they are your parents' dogs, and you do not live with your parents, then you do not have three dogs. So why on earth did you say you do?

My parents think I should nt of given them the dog as they dont know anything about dogs !!!!

And maybe your parents should have told you this before you gave them the dog, instead of afterwards when there is nothing that can be done about it.

No, you said YOU have three dogs already, and one more would be no skin off your nose.
    If they are your parents' dogs, and you do not live with your parents, then you do not have three dogs. So why on earth did you say you do?

I never said they are my parents dogs and I did nt say one more would be no skin off my nose I said its not like I need another dog - I could actually do without it but I felt responsible as I had given him to them in the first place!!!!

And maybe your parents should have told you this before you gave them the dog, instead of afterwards when there is nothing that can be done about it.
    Yes well hindsight is great - sure life would be perfect if we could all predict the future !!!!

• Advertisement

Bingo.

Also, to answer your question (as I'm sure they won't properly): To give themselves an air of credibility, alongside the ever so vague "I have veterinary experience, not practicing, so don't need a vet's opinion" without answering whether they're a vet or not.

It's all "I know best, look at all this stuff I've done, and you guys are all wrong and animal welfare haterz!!"

I never said they are my parents dogs and I did nt say one more would be no skin off my nose I said its not like I need another dog - I could actually do without it but I felt responsible as I had given him to them in the first place!!!!

EEEEEXXXXXXXXXXXXCUSE ME??!?!?!?!?

"I allready have 3 dogs at home it is no skin of my nose if I have another one my concern was simply for the dogs welfare"

You keep three outdoor dogs for hunting. Or you keep three outdoor dogs that are trained to hunt and you no longer hunt with them. There is no consideration for animal welfare in that, which makes you a hypocrite. So yes, you DID say another one would be no skin off your nose.

So if the three hunting dogs are yours and your parents looked after them while you were in this rough patch, why didn't you give them this dog?

The problem here is not the dogs, or your mass of qualifications and experience, or even animal welfare. The problem is your story makes absolutely no sense the more you tell us.

I did nt say one more would be no skin off my nose

310oI.png

You're getting all caught up in your little tales here, tricialou.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Let me help you out her OP,

"Should I reclaim pet?"

No. You really shouldn't.

"I allready have 3 dogs at home it is no skin of my nose if I have another one my concern was simply for the dogs welfare"

You keep three outdoor dogs for hunting. Or you keep three outdoor dogs that are trained to hunt and you no longer hunt with them. There is no consideration for animal welfare in that, which makes you a hypocrite. So yes, you DID say another one would be no skin off your nose.

So if the three hunting dogs are yours and your parents looked after them while you were in this rough patch, why didn't you give them this dog?

The problem here is not the dogs, or your mass of qualifications and experience, or even animal welfare. The problem is your story makes absolutely no sense the more you tell us.

Who said the dogs dont hunt? I dont know why you are so concerned with minor details maybe try reading a book !!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

OP, I'm not going to get into the semantics of this thread, but I will offer some pragmatic advice. If you pursue this too far with your niece, you will likely fall out, then you will have no access to the dog. I don't like people who keep their dog couped up all day either, but it's not considered cruelty. If you go to the dog warden and tell them that the dog is well fed and sheltered but gets no exercise, you won't get very far.

I strongly suggest you revisit the suggestion of getting a key so you can walk the dog. If its getting exercise, it wont feel so bad about going home afterwards. Everyone's a winner.

Who said the dogs dont hunt? I dont know why you are so concerned with minor details maybe try reading a book !!

I said that either they currently hunt, or they used to. You are dodging the fact that we have caught you telling lies.

If the dogs belong to you and live with you and you use them for hunting, then that is cruel to the animals you kill. So you cannot sit there and whinge about animal rights. The dog you are trying to get back is an indoor dog. Are you going to keep him indoors and spite your other three dogs that live outside, or are you going to make him sleep outside in a kennel like the other two, which is not what he is used to and will also be cruel at his age.

They are NOT personal questions, they are honest questions a person would need to know the answer to if they were to decide whether or not the dog was better off with you.
    Honestly I wonder what your partner has to say about all of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

If I take my dog to my mother's, she gives him leftover dinner, chocolate biscuits and lets him sleep on the couch and drink out of her tea mug.
    You allow your dog to be fed Theobromine and Caffeine/ and you think you're in a position to offer advice on dogs? :eek:

I said that either they currently hunt, or they used to. You are dodging the fact that we have caught you telling lies.

If the dogs belong to you and live with you and you use them for hunting, then that is cruel to the animals you kill. So you cannot sit there and whinge about animal rights. The dog you are trying to get back is an indoor dog. Are you going to keep him indoors and spite your other three dogs that live outside, or are you going to make him sleep outside in a kennel like the other two, which is not what he is used to and will also be cruel at his age.

They are NOT personal questions, they are honest questions a person would need to know the answer to if they were to decide whether or not the dog was better off with you.

Honestly I wonder what your partner has to say about all of this
    I am having this thread closed it is ridiculous. Who said the hunting dogs hunt live animals Who made that assumption. I certainly didnt mention any live animals did I??? But of course again my words are twisted. I did not tell any lies in this thread and it is a pure joke. some people are Sad!!!!!Also who said anything about the dog sleeping outside .... !

• Advertisement

the sentence should of read "It is no skin of my nose if I DONT have another one.. excuse my typing skills experts!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement