Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I reclaim Pet

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cedrus wrote: »
    You allow your dog to be fed Theobromine and Caffeine/ and you think you're in a position to offer advice on dogs? :eek:

I do not allow it :rolleyes: But what my mother does when I am not looking is only something I can repeatedly chastise her over :D The point I was trying to make is that just because the dog does not want to go back to his owners house does not at all mean that it is because he is being mistreated in it.

OP is refusing to answer any and all questions about the three dogs she currently has, and what the living arrangements would be for this dog if she got it back, which makes it hard for anyone to determine whether or not the dog would be best off with him/her or staying where he is. A lot of shelters would ask the same question if OP were looking to adopt again, I hope they wouldn't respond with such rudeness as here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I do not allow it :rolleyes: But what my mother does when I am not looking is only something I can repeatedly chastise her over :D

If it has happened "repeatedly", then you allow it and you are party to it. It is animal abuse.

If it has happened "repeatedly", then you allow it and you are party to it. It is animal abuse.

It doesn't happen repeatedly, if I see her do it, I stop it, he visits all of once every three months, and it's an overnight stay at the longest ;)
    I don't really consider that animal abuse. We all love him, walk him, play with him, take him to the vet regularly, and now I treat him for things that creep up on him in his old age. How and ever, this is not my thread, so I won't take it over discussing the fact that I may be abusing my own dog :rolleyes:
    This thread is whether or not the OP should do anything, and if so - what, about the dog that he/she adopted and then gave away ;)

I think the impression you get is that I repeatedly chastise her over it because it repeatedly happens, my apologies. I repeatedly chastise her as she often thinks I should let him while he is with me, and I continue to do so for about a week before our visit, in the hopes that she'll listen. I hope that clears matters up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭tricialou

I do not allow it :rolleyes: But what my mother does when I am not looking is only something I can repeatedly chastise her over :D The point I was trying to make is that just because the dog does not want to go back to his owners house does not at all mean that it is because he is being mistreated in it.

OP is refusing to answer any and all questions about the three dogs she currently has, and what the living arrangements would be for this dog if she got it back, which makes it hard for anyone to determine whether or not the dog would be best off with him/her or staying where he is. A lot of shelters would ask the same question if OP were looking to adopt again, I hope they wouldn't respond with such rudeness as here!

Chocolate and tea are toxic to dogs!!
    I am not refusing to answer any questions. The living arrangements would be Ideally the dog would live with my relatives and I would exercise him and everyone would be happy but as this cannot happen if we were to live with me (if the owners agreed obviously) the dog would live with me and my partner- sleep in the house - live between the house and the large garden and be ran twice a day through the fields and taken to the nearby beach and for spins in the car and be given loads of attention by both me and my partner.We have considered getting a pet but as I said earlier I wanted to see how this situation panned out first. Im not going to steal the dog - to be honest Id prefer to leave him where he is If i just knew that he was been treated properly.That is my only issue!! and im not rude in fairness the responses were OTT and tried to make me out to be a liar when I havent lied about anything!!I dont want to fall out with my relatives that is why I asked for advise here- It s just she is moving to college in Sep so I feel the situation will get worse!!!

It doesn't happen repeatedly, if I see her do it, I stop it, he visits all of once every three months, and it's an overnight stay at the longest ;)
    I don't really consider that animal abuse. We all love him, walk him, play with him, take him to the vet regularly, and now I treat him for things that creep up on him in his old age. How and ever, this is not my thread, so I won't take it over discussing the fact that I may be abusing my own dog :rolleyes:
    This thread is whether or not the OP should do anything, and if so - what, about the dog that he/she adopted and then gave away ;)

I think the impression you get is that I repeatedly chastise her over it because it repeatedly happens, my apologies. I repeatedly chastise her as she often thinks I should let him while he is with me, and I continue to do so for about a week before our visit, in the hopes that she'll listen. I hope that clears matters up.

Would you allow your mother to give weedkiller to your child. Dogs have completely different systems to humans and chocolate especially dark chocolote is deadly!!The people posting here dont know anything about dogs!

• Advertisement

tricialou wrote: »
    Chocolate and tea are toxic to dogs!!
    I am not refusing to answer any questions. The living arrangements would be Ideally the dog would live with my relatives and I would exercise him and everyone would be happy but as this cannot happen if we were to live with me (if the owners agreed obviously) the dog would live with me and my partner- sleep in the house - live between the house and the large garden and be ran twice a day through the fields and taken to the nearby beach and for spins in the car and be given loads of attention by both me and my partner.We have considered getting a pet but as I said earlier I wanted to see how this situation panned out first. Im not going to steal the dog - to be honest Id prefer to leave him where he is If i just knew that he was been treated properly.That is my only issue!! and im not rude in fairness the responses were OTT and tried to make me out to be a liar when I havent lied about anything!!I dont want to fall out with my relatives that is why I asked for advise here- It s just she is moving to college in Sep so I feel the situation will get worse!!!

OP you need to give some of your posts another read. People were advising you to meet halfway, you wanted to know if you could take the dog back, there was no original mention of compromise with your family, and you told us that all our advised efforts were fruitless and they were not giving you the time of day. When people said it was not a good idea to take the dog back, you jumped defensively and said it's either take the dog back or call the pound. We pointed out the law's stance on what animal cruelty is, and that the pound would make no difference, you then jumped down my throat and attempted to insult me on several occasions because I told you what is "deemed" correct animal welfare.
    I asked you that question about the dog's living arrangements three times and you are only answering now, which is why I assumed you were dodging the question (rightfully so, since like I said, any good rescue centre would ask you the same thing). I personally didn't see why you would keep three dogs out of the house and let one dog in the house. Unless they didn't get along of course ;)

And again, I know about what is toxic to a dog, I imagine my mother will be the same when I have kids, sweets galore when I have my back turned *sigh*

But anyway - if you want some honest advice OP, I would say there isn't a lot you can do that you haven't already done. If they won't let you walk the dog daily and they won't give you access to the house to look after him, then you will just have to make the most of your time with him. You may consider his current conditions cruel, but I assure you they are nowhere near as bad as when he was in the pound.
    It does seem odd that someone who will not walk a dog regularly or let it have any of the essential veterinary treatments would begrudge a qualified family member to look after the dog permanently, or at least help out part-time. Do they interact socially with the dog inside the house, or is he being ignored?

Would you allow your mother to give weedkiller to your child. Dogs have completely different systems to humans and chocolate especially dark chocolote is deadly!!The people posting here dont know anything about dogs!

Again, I am completely aware, and as I said, I do not allow it - I was making the point that if the dog feels spoiled with you, of course he won't go willingly to his owner's house :rolleyes:

OP you need to give some of your posts another read. People were advising you to meet halfway, you wanted to know if you could take the dog back, there was no original mention of compromise with your family, and you told us that all our advised efforts were fruitless and they were not giving you the time of day. When people said it was not a good idea to take the dog back, you jumped defensively and said it's either take the dog back or call the pound. We pointed out the law's stance on what animal cruelty is, and that the pound would make no difference, you then jumped down my throat and attempted to insult me on several occasions because I told you what is "deemed" correct animal welfare.
    I asked you that question about the dog's living arrangements three times and you are only answering now, which is why I assumed you were dodging the question (rightfully so, since like I said, any good rescue centre would ask you the same thing). I personally didn't see why you would keep three dogs out of the house and let one dog in the house. Unless they didn't get along of course ;)

And again, I know about what is toxic to a dog, I imagine my mother will be the same when I have kids, sweets galore when I have my back turned *sigh*

But anyway - if you want some honest advice OP, I would say there isn't a lot you can do that you haven't already done. If they won't let you walk the dog daily and they won't give you access to the house to look after him, then you will just have to make the most of your time with him. You may consider his current conditions cruel, but I assure you they are nowhere near as bad as when he was in the pound.
    It does seem odd that someone who will not walk a dog regularly or let it have any of the essential veterinary treatments would begrudge a qualified family member to look after the dog permanently, or at least help out part-time. Do they interact socially with the dog inside the house, or is he being ignored?
    If you know what is toxic to a dog then why let your mam give it to him? I never said what way the dog would be sleeping because it wasnt about where it slept. And the other dogs dont sleep "outside" they are outside the house in sheds/ kennels! Again you do not understand that hunting dogs cant be left into a house!
    years ago they said they wanted to give the dog away and i said hang on untill Im sorted and they seem to forget this now. Again I only started this as I did not know how to approach the situation- i.e. do i say Can I have teh dog or just offer to help with him? People have used this thread to have a rant and pick out stupid comments trying to catch me out in "lies". i havent lied about anything- I was even accused of using blood tests as ammunition when it was the vet that suggested them for god sake!! really dissapointing to see how people use this to start a rant !

Again, I am completely aware, and as I said, I do not allow it - I was making the point that if the dog feels spoiled with you, of course he won't go willingly to his owner's house :rolleyes:
    I dont spoil the dog I dont allow him eat any human food- he gets that at home!

If you know what is toxic to a dog then why let your mam give it to him? I never said what way the dog would be sleeping because it wasnt about where it slept. And the other dogs dont sleep "outside" they are outside the house in sheds/ kennels! Again you do not understand that hunting dogs cant be left into a house!
    years ago they said they wanted to give the dog away and i said hang on untill Im sorted and they seem to forget this now. Again I only started this as I did not know how to approach the situation- i.e. do i say Can I have teh dog or just offer to help with him? People have used this thread to have a rant and pick out stupid comments trying to catch me out in "lies". i havent lied about anything- I was even accused of using blood tests as ammunition when it was the vet that suggested them for god sake!! really dissapointing to see how people use this to start a rant !

You are the only one that lost your temper so far.
    I don't believe in keeping hunting dogs, so I of course would not know that they must be kept outside.
    You said yourself that the blood tests indicated stress, it seemed like you were trying to say that this was proof the dog is not in the right place.

You can by all means ask for the dog back, but they can also say no and that is the end of it. I advise continuing to care for it and look after it as they are permitting you to do now, and say no more. If they realise or find out the dog is better in your hands, it would be best they come to you and suggest it, rather than you asking for it back (they are probably going to see that as an insult if you are suggesting they do not look after him properly)

*EDIT* When I say spoil, I mean he gets things he wouldn't normally get at home, eg a walk on the beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

PieForPi wrote: »
    Cop yourself on.

Strike 1 - Personal Abuse
    Do you have any idea how absolutely insane you're coming across?

Even the smallest iota?

Strike 2 - Personal Abuse

Can't keep up with the amount of utter bullsh*te you're spouting here.

Strike 3 - Personal Abuse - Your out

You can have a one day ban for your trouble. I suggest you work on the tone and delivery of your posts.

Yes if worrying about a dog that is not looked after is insane im guilty!!! and if paying for veterinary treatment for a dog cos the owners wont is mad then im that too! As I said dont respond to animal welfare posts when you dont have any regard for it and find another outlet for yourself !

Back-seat Moderating - you have repeated this several times throughout the thread yellow carded for this and use of uncivil tone throughout the thread

When it didn't go your way, you rebelled and now you've gotten on your high horse and continue to give cheek and talk down to those who told you what you can do, and what you can't do.

Back-seat moderating/Abusive - yellow carded

You allow your dog to be fed Theobromine and Caffeine/ and you think you're in a position to offer advice on dogs? :eek:

Yellow carded - Surely there was enough arguing going on without taking the thread off-topic and starting another one.

Thread Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement