Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby in his own room - not settling

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

We have only just moved baby into his own room at 8 months old.

Prior to this he went for his naps into our room, in his cot and was grand with that. Since the move he wont / cant settle in his room during the day and is waking up as much at night...

To make sure he is getting his naps I am putting him in his pram but am almost ready to cave as I want him in a cot for his naps and the peace and quiet in his own room doesnt seem to be making any difference to his sleep quality at night.

Any words of wisdom? How long did it take for your baby to settle? Any tips?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ellsbells wrote: »
    We have only just moved baby into his own room at 8 months old.

Prior to this he went for his naps into our room, in his cot and was grand with that. Since the move he wont / cant settle in his room during the day and is waking up as much at night...

To make sure he is getting his naps I am putting him in his pram but am almost ready to cave as I want him in a cot for his naps and the peace and quiet in his own room doesnt seem to be making any difference to his sleep quality at night.

Any words of wisdom? How long did it take for your baby to settle? Any tips?

He might miss the safety.
    Have you tried putting a blanket or something that smells of you into his cot?
    If it were me I would take him back at night but put him in his new room during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Ok thats good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

we just moved our son into his own room as well - same age. Having him nap in his own room during day was not an option (only have one cot, and wasnt gonna push it back and forth between rooms), so we decided to move in with him for a few nights - and he's settled fine, no problems at all (I, on the other hand, have not been able to sleep at all :rolleyes:). It's the third night now, thinking of moving back into our room tomorrow...

putting something that has your smell near the cot is also a great idea!

Ah thats a good plan. We have him in a small room so there is no room to sleep. I miss him terribly. He will be our only child and Im a bit sad that its the end of an era....

I only have one cot as well and was thinking of moving up the travel cot but think OH would have a fit. he is a lot stronger than me :rolleyes:

The item in the cot is a great idea and I think i might bring him up to play there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

My 7 month old settled into her room straight away at 6 months. a bit of a whinge the first night and that was it. i think its cos we spent time in her room alot as i was sorting clothes etc in there before she moved in. she had a comforter and a doodie which she only has for nap times and bedtime and now when i show it to her she gets all excited about going to bed and when i put her in the cot she kicks like mad!!:rolleyes: usually falls asleep quick enough. also the first few nights anytime she cried we went straight away and i think she knew then that we were there and would come get her when she cried;)

and i think we were waking her accidentally and now she is deligthed we are not and thinks she is a big girl now!! she has rarely taken her doodie since being in her room! its great but a little sad she is acting all independent and grown up!:( def try the playing in the room and the comforter or similar. oh and maybe a night light, we leave a very light green night light on so its not completely dark.

goodluck!:D

• Advertisement

can i ask where you got the green night light? Any hardware shop?

Does anyone know where I can get continuous play white noise cd's???

I put the blanket in last night and made no difference but he does have a cold.... He was awake early and I picked him up and he was looking round the room scared stiff so i have to start playing with him up there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

It is actually the light on top of the angel care monitor! but you might get them in woodies or the toy shops. we also have a mobile over her head in the cot. we had it on in our room too so i think it was a familiar thing moving with her. we have a fairy lampshade in the ceiling which she loves. just little nice things like that might help. and def playing up there or spending time showing him everything in his room. a week or so of doing the same thing every night might help. we always put E in her grobag up in her room and give her her last feed sitting on a chair in her room so she knows.

Goodluck!

Thanks all. His Daddy took over for a few days and he has been much more settled. There was a little crying at the start but he went up tonight and not a peep out if him. Fingers crossed for tonight as he hasn't been well today.

Advertisement