Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Canada

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

I have applied for a visa in Canada as i feel life has gotten to hard here in Ireland. I was wondering does any one have any information about renting over there or any information rergarding the cost of living?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

What part are you thinking of going to.
    Rents vary depending on where you go.
    In Edmonton last year we paid $1025 for 1 bed apartment down town with all utilities included
    This year we are in the west of the city and paying $909 for a 2 bed townhouse not including utilities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

What's it like on a day-to-day basis? The habits, routines of the population? As a much smaller concern, any strong differences in values?

When I was in Germany, I wasn't fond of their work attitude or general attitude for life, though health and money, yes. In Italy the 4-hour lunches was a blessing, and I adored the night time leaning of the culture. Though I would have liked if they looked at my face before my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What's it like on a day-to-day basis? The habits, routines of the population? As a much smaller concern, any strong differences in values?

When I was in Germany, I wasn't fond of their work attitude or general attitude for life, though health and money, yes. In Italy the 4-hour lunches was a blessing, and I adored the night time leaning of the culture. Though I would have liked if they looked at my face before my shoes.

I work in Germany and its not like that at all. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Like what?

Like what?

The work attitude or general attitude to life.

I.E. The work attitude is lets get work done during normal hours, if were not getting it done then either were not doing it properly or have insufficient resources.

The attitude to life is very healthy, people actually have things to do outside work besides go to the pub all the time.

Germany is totally geared towards having families with very generous terms of leave for Married couples that have children.

• Advertisement

I think you mean, Germany isn't like that for you? Because when I worked there that was my experience.

Back to Canada, has anyone noticed from extended stay there are major similarities or differences that they picked up on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I think you mean, Germany isn't like that for you? Because when I worked there that was my experience.

It's not like that for anyone I know. The Germans work hard and live it up after work. Sounds like you had 1 bad experience and think that's how it is for everyone else.

I didn't have a bad experience. I look forward to going back but I wouldn't like to live/work there again. What I'm getting at is a matter of logic. I didn't say this is what all of Germany is like, I said this was my experience. The respondent I think suggested that that wasn't true - but that's impossible - one person's experience is not the same as the next person's. This is my last message on Germany in this thread, if some people can't detect logic I can't help them. Canada in the Canada thread anyone?

jester77 wrote: »
    It's not like that for anyone I know. The Germans work hard and live it up after work. Sounds like you had 1 bad experience and think that's how it is for everyone else.

Same here, never heard that before, must have been a bad place or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

If you say what area you are thinking of this question will be easier to answer. oh and with a population of 34million you will obviously notice some difference in values.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭hellothere1

I live in Toronto. Where you will find that half of the population weren't actually born in Canada. It's very liberal here, complete seperation of church and state so no religion in schools, abortion is available and same sex marriage is legal (just a few examples).

You will find a lot of resto-bars, so you walk in with your group, ask for a table and there is table service for the drinks. Bartenders are held accountable if you're twisted so I haven't seen too many people completely ****-faced. That said I have seen a lot of people on drugs. But it's a live and let-live thing, it's overlooked so long as you keep it to yourself.

Booze is not sold in supermarkets, you have to go to a government store to buy booze. Drinking on the street is totally against the law, and this is strictly enforced, unlike Ireland. Canadians LOVE weed and you'll smell it everywhere.

Those are things that spring to mind.

I found that my lifestyle changed over time after I came here, but it's definitely for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ogloac

I too moved to Toronto from Ireland. It is a different lifestyle from my past life in Ireland. Its alot more fast paced and extremely liberal. Living here is more expensive than Ireland, the cost of renting and food is a considerable amount more than home. I am fortunate to have a good job. Banks also charge u for withdrawing from a bank that is not ur own. Its only like 1.50 dollars but its weird. Im finding it hard to make friends as its a busy city and people are too busy to talk to u! The sub way monthly pass is 127.50 dollars, but insurance is crazy over here.
    I went clubbing last week and got a full body search and a metal detector swiped all around me! Just a small be awks!

Advertisement