Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serbia v Republic of Ireland match thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,844 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

tolosenc wrote: »
    God, McShane and Green are woeful.

I seriously think that McShane is more of a footballer than Green.

Greens awareness and execution of passing is dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What an utterly diabolical pass by Greene after nice play from Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Green is woeful, turned a decent attacking move into us almost getting caught on the break. Joke of a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

tolosenc wrote: »
    God, McShane and Green are woeful.
    Trilla wrote: »
    I seriously think that McShane is more of a footballer than Green.

Greens awareness and execution of passing is dreadful.

Was about to say, McShane is actually doing alright overall.

Coleman has been very active since coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

noodler wrote: »
    Was about to say, McShane is actually doing alright overall.

As long as he doesn't get the ball at his feet, he's OK.

McShane..just lol control :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Cake Man wrote: »
    Just checked, that keeper plays for Partizan Belgrade and the match is on in Red Star Belgrade's pitch. Hate each other.

And also because he used to play for Red Star as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Paul Green is probably, no definatly, the worst passer of the ball for a midfielder at this level I have ever seen. Baffles me how he is part of the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Green would not make San Marino starting 11

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

McCarthy has been very good, gives us a bit of composure in the centre :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Green has been trolling us along by using his bad foot for passing,

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Might be the start of an unbeaten run of painful "backs against the wall" games for the next two years. Same old panic performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

McCarthy has been very good, gives us a bit of composure in the centre :)
    Has to have played himself into starting 11, we looked like we had a midfield, wud live to see us put faith in McGeady, McCarthy & McLean.

Good show from WW.

Walters isn't the man for upfront wud still like to see Keane & Long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I wish so much that Green didn't play for Leeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems like this was one of the more boring matches that took place today. Lot of goals elsewhere.

I'm not sure Trap knows what system to utilise until he hears back from Robbie because I think the team will be built around him if he's available.

I was pleased with the performance of Westwood. A lot more focus on him due to Given's retirement and he pulled off some good saves and kept a clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Well thanks to my dog I missed the second half....or did I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Positives : McCarthy gave a very good performance, dictated the tempo from the middle when given the oppurtunity.
    Westwood was also very good, 2 very good stops.
    McClean gave 110% did okay, but Trap will punish him for losing possession a few times. The 12 minutes that Coleman was given were not enough, but he used them well and looked dangerous.

Negatives : Paul Green put in yet again an awful performance, completely lost not just in midfield but all over the pitch, turned attack into counters for Serbia at least twice, has to go.
    McShane Had some ok passages, but definitely outweighed by the the mistakes he made in important areas of the pitch.
    Andy Keogh poor when he was on the ball, not much else to say about him, doesnt deserve to be there over some other players.

Tactics : Looks like this game was a complete waste of time, nothing new was tried, doesn't fill me with much optimism for the qualifiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Westwood excellent. When you think back in fairness to him, every appearance for us he has been brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Easy there Tiger, jumping to all sorts of conclusions there.

Ahhh you're right of course. Still, begs the question why we didn't try something like this sooner and get guys like McCarthy more game time. Anyway..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

paul green the poor lad probably is in shock everytime he is called up, how on earth he gets games is beyond me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just saw the result, what did i miss??
    Absolutely nothing id guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I don't think I could take another 2 years of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Green would not make San Marino starting 11

Dunno what that says for Leeds, but find out at 12.45 on sky sports on Saturday.

Not surprised to hear Westwood was excellent, he is a quality keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

Anyone got any idea why the players wore mental numbers?

Most games we play 1-11 start, in fact I think every game for as long as I can remember, barring tournaments, we have worn 1-11 oh and barring the one random time Keane was injured so someone started wearing 20 instead of 10.

Like tonight our two starting forwards wore 12 n 14, bit random

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

leposean wrote: »

Most games we play 1-11 start, in fact I think every game for as long as I can remember, barring tournaments, we have worn 1-11 oh and barring the one random time Keane was injured so someone started wearing 20 instead of 10.

Squad numbers from Poland probably had them printed already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Was watching until Paul Green came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

Augmerson wrote: »
    Was watching until Paul Green came on.

He is poison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

leposean wrote: »

I always assumed the 1-11 thing was down to the FAI being tight as fcuk, and no player names meant they could wash the shirts again for the next match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

Long saying he wasn't injured and trap saying he was.

what is going on

• Advertisement

Westwood was solid but it really was just a friendly.

If he can maintain form when not playing for his club then thjat will be great.

He should probably jump at the chance of a move or loan though - I am sure he knows now if he is going to start at the weekend.

Trampas wrote: »
    Long saying he wasn't injured and trap saying he was.

what is going on

Linky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭Trampas

Linky?

heard it on the radio this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I also heard it on the radio that it was a breakdown in communication with Long as Long was saying he wasnt injured.

Also, why do we always hoof it up the pitch from a goal kick? we always loose possession that way. Trap is clueless. Keogh and Green on before Coleman and O Brien , is a strange one. And as was said, Green shouldnt be allowed play, he is useless

Hopefully with Marc Wilson St Ledger back we wont need either McShane or Ward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Tactics : Looks like this game was a complete waste of time, nothing new was tried, doesn't fill me with much optimism for the qualifiers.

Yeah, except the 4-5-1 with a ball playing central player. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

From wiki

....However, as Radomir Antić got fired after the draw with Slovenia, Stojković was called up again by the new coach Vladimir Petrović for the next qualifier against Estonia at home on 8 October 2010. This was the first national team home match for Stojković following his club switch to FK Partizan and he received a fair amount of verbal abuse from the Red Star fans in the crowd. All the insulting chants clearly got to him as he let in a long range goal as Estonia tied the score at 1–1. Later, with Estonia leading 2–1, Stojković made another mistake that led to a goal, after miscommunication with centre back Aleksandar Luković leading to a back pass that ended up in the Serbian goal.[36] Only four days later, on 12 October, before the qualifier between Italy and Serbia in Genoa, Stojković was assaulted by the group of the Zvezda fans who broke into the Serbian team bus....

Not too sure if that is still the reason..

Booing your own national team goalkeeper to the effect of conceding goals. The mind boggles.

conor360 wrote: »
    He is poison
    To harsh, Poison has its uses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

From the IT
    Communication problems continue in Irish camp

POST-MATCH REACTION: Shane Long was irate after being left out for ‘precautionary’ reasons, writes EMMET MALONE

THERE WERE further problems on the communication front last night with Shane Long and Giovanni Trapattoni starkly at odds over the player’s omission for the starting line up here in Belgrade. The manager played down the significance of the late change he made for the game but Long was not happy, insisting that he could have started.

Trapattoni, needless to say, was upbeat about the result and the way the changes he had made had worked out but he refused to make a call on how he would approach next month’s World Cup qualifier in Kazakhstan after a change in formation and confident display helped his side to an encouraging draw in Ireland’s first outing since the traumatic European Championship finals campaign.

“We’ll see,” said the Italian with a smile when asked if he would use the altered formation employed here in Belgrade when he brings what should be a stronger squad to Astana at the start of September. “I have to digest tonight first and then I have a month to decide what to do. I will take my time.

“But tonight was good for us. It was a good performance and we always knew that it would be difficult because this was only two weeks after some of the players had started their pre-season training. Because of that some of them looked tired with 30 minutes still to play in the game. The team played well, though, and because of this I am very happy.

“We made things little difficult for Serbia because we were well organised but they played well too. I liked what I saw but I said beforehand that while this was a good test for the young players, we don’t forget the other players. Before we play Kazakhstan we will talk to Richard Dunne, Robbie Keane and Damien Duff and we will look to have a more experienced team.”

He was happy here, in particular, he said with Keiren Westwood. “Serbia were more technical but we deserved this result,” he said before adding, “We know now that we can trust Westwood. It was a big moment for him after the news about Shay Given. I was sure he could be a good substitute for Shay and he showed us that tonight when he made the save that we can trust him.”

Asked about the late change to his line-up he said that Long had had some pain in his calf after training on Tuesday evening and had a scan yesterday. “He spoke to the doctor, there is no significant injury but we weren’t sure, we didn’t want to take any risks.”

As he left the stadium Long, clearly annoyed, went a good deal further, insisting that he had been “fully fit” and coming back to say it again in case the point had been missed by the journalists present after an official present had said the decision had been “precautionary.”

Trapattoni, meanwhile, admitted that a first-half reshuffle made after half an hour had been prompted by a sense that James McClean was struggling a little.

“I thought before we could play with McGeady wide and McClean in midfield but it was clear that it was a little too difficult for him. After a while, he went on the left but it was important to try it,” he said.

Quite what formation was on show because a minor point of debate when the manager insisted that he had set out to play with three forwards. In truth, it rarely really looked that way with Jonathan Walters left looking a little isolated especially late on in the second half as the Irish midfield, wide men included, dropped increasingly deep as they sought to cope with some late Serbia pressure. “I was up front by myself for quite a while,” acknowledged the striker, “but we had a few half chances and it was quite a solid display overall.”

Trapattoni, though, was insistent that things had gone according to plan and insisted that James McClean would have been deployed in the centre of what he regarded as a midfield three even if he had not been forced into replacing Long with Simon Cox.

“Yes, we tried it in training,” he said, “and we wanted to look at this situation. We wanted to see how things would be with McGeady, Walters and Cox, they were the forwards, as well as McCarthy, McClean and Whelan in midfield. This was the system. It was 4-3-3 ... very positive,” he concluded pointedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/sport/trappatoni-labels-shane-long-idiotic-over-fitness-claims/

if we all chipped in a fiver im sure we could buy Trap out of his contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

"Asked about the late change to his line-up he said that Long had had some pain in his calf after training on Tuesday evening and had a scan yesterday. “He spoke to the doctor, there is no significant injury but we weren’t sure, we didn’t want to take any risks.”

As he left the stadium Long, clearly annoyed, went a good deal further, insisting that he had been “fully fit” and coming back to say it again in case the point had been missed by the journalists present after an official present had said the decision had been “precautionary.”"

Interesting. Not the first time this has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Quite what formation was on show because a minor point of debate when the manager insisted that he had set out to play with three forwards. In truth, it rarely really looked that way with Jonathan Walters left looking a little isolated especially late on in the second half as the Irish midfield, wide men included, dropped increasingly deep as they sought to cope with some late Serbia pressure. “I was up front by myself for quite a while,” acknowledged the striker, “but we had a few half chances and it was quite a solid display overall.”

Trapattoni, though, was insistent that things had gone according to plan and insisted that James McClean would have been deployed in the centre of what he regarded as a midfield three even if he had not been forced into replacing Long with Simon Cox.

“Yes, we tried it in training,” he said, “and we wanted to look at this situation. We wanted to see how things would be with McGeady, Walters and Cox, they were the forwards, as well as McCarthy, McClean and Whelan in midfield. This was the system. It was 4-3-3 ... very positive,” he concluded pointedly.

Fascinating stuff. So he played with Cox in training, then named Long for the game, then dropped Long for the game, saying he was injured, even though the player says he was fully fit. I would love to know what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Ormus wrote: »
    "Asked about the late change to his line-up he said that Long had had some pain in his calf after training on Tuesday evening and had a scan yesterday. “He spoke to the doctor, there is no significant injury but we weren’t sure, we didn’t want to take any risks.”

As he left the stadium Long, clearly annoyed, went a good deal further, insisting that he had been “fully fit” and coming back to say it again in case the point had been missed by the journalists present after an official present had said the decision had been “precautionary.”"

Interesting. Not the first time this has happened.

It gets worse...this on breakingnews.ie

Trap slams Long over injury claims
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 03:38 PM

Republic of Ireland manager Giovanni Trapattoni has branded Shane Long as idiotic after reacting furiously to the striker's claim that he was fit to play in last night's friendly against Serbia.

The West Brom player was withdrawn from the starting side shortly before kick-off, but told journalists afterwards that he was 'fully fit'.

Reacting to those claims this afternoon, Trapattoni called Long an 'idiot' for misleading him after he had complained of a calf injury during training.

The Ireland boss says that he had based his formation around Long.

Trap has also expressed doubts over some of the injury complaints that forced several other players to withdraw from his squad ahead of the game.

Kevin Doyle, Stephen Ward, Marc Wilson and Wes Hoolahan were all forced to withdraw from the squad after being called-up for the trip to Belgrade.

Sure look at the fiasco with Kevin Foley, said he was injured then played him the next day in a friendly. Clearly the language barrier is a major problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

How is Green still part of traps plan?

Maybe Trap saw that episode of King of the Hill where Bobby's junior high track team enlist Bobby as a member in order to push the other members. If one doesn't work hard enough or gives lip, his place goes to Bobby. Maybe it's the same thing with Green. It's profoundly unlikely but at this point, I think we're all out of explanations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I can see Trap going the way of McCarthy. Major finals -> bad start in next qualifiers -> sack. Probably not to Wolves, mind.

• Advertisement

nbar12 wrote: »
    http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/sport/trappatoni-labels-shane-long-idiotic-over-fitness-claims/

if we all chipped in a fiver im sure we could buy Trap out of his contract

What the fúck is going on?! Trap falling out with another player, this is ridiculous.

Even when I listen to Trap talk there I find it hard to work out if he's saying he would have played Long if Long had said he was fit or whether Trap is saying that Long wasn't fit enough to play.

Normally I would back a manager in a dispute like this, but not Trap after how he handled the Steven Reid and Marc Wilson situations previously. And I also start to think that Trap is at fault when it is so many players having issues with him.

There is another possible explanation and that is that some players may be trying to lay the blame at Trap's door even when he is not at fault. They know that the media are on Trap's case about communication, so maybe some are using that as an excuse when it's really not the problem.

I can't see any benefit for Long to do that here now though.

There are only so many times that players can be blamed. I dont remember any previous manager falling foul with so many people

In fairness the only word quoted in that whole article is 'idiotic' probably all bull****

Soups123 wrote: »
    In fairness the only word quoted in that whole article is 'idiotic' probably all bull****

You can listen to the audio yourself. nbar12 posted a link there a few posts back. It was Newstalk I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

I like Trap I really do-but the language barrier is a big issue with this Irish team and Liam Brady is badly missed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement