Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the Kingdom

Options
  • 15-08-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

What is the best available in Kerry?

By best I mean fastest.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

keano25 wrote: »
    What is the best available in Kerry?

By best I mean fastest.

Thanks

It depends where you live and how much you want to spend

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cam2012

what about in Tralee around Listellick South area. All I heard so far is eircom as the only provided apart from wireless companies over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Kerry Broadband ... Fixed wireless very reliable

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Unfortunately we have nothing remotely like the broadband we should have in Tralee thanks to UPC and its predecessors screwing us over by never cabling the town. Hopefully though, ComReg will shortly pull the plug on MMDS and UPC will be taught a lesson by loosing all its Tralee customers. (Rant over!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Vodafone do a landline service also which I've never had issues with. AFAIK its cheaper than Eircom too. (however they are still leasing the lines from eircom but that is transparent to the customer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Cam2012

Problem is .. if your line is deactivated then only Eircom can open it first if I am not wrong so that means still I have to go through Eircom isnt it before even think of vodafone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭MP62

Cam2012 wrote: »
    Problem is .. if your line is deactivated then only Eircom can open it first if I am not wrong so that means still I have to go through Eircom isnt it before even think of vodafone.
    What a load of tosh, the stuff people make up in their own heads never ceases to amaze. You can go with any provider you like, just because eircom owns the infrastructure does not mean they have a monopoly.

Cam2012 wrote: »

No, Vodafone do all that for you. You deal with Vodafone and they deal with eircom to get the line set up. Its a surprisingly painless process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wobbleyhead

Well the best i've come across so far is kerrybroadband , they've got a wireless solution that so far has been fairly reliable. I work from home way out in the sticks near Banna so there's two hopes of getting anything decent from cabled provider, Bob Hope being one of them.

With a bit of luck once the spectrum sales for the 4G components start to shift then those of us who live in the country side might start to see some decent speeds coming onstream.

At the minute the best that I can get is 5mb down 2mb up which is mostly sufficient for day to day work/browsing etc but a far cry from the connection speed I had in Dublin, again working from, except that it was much easier with a 100mb down 10mb up connection, it really was like i was in the office with the vpn connection.

You would've thought it would be in the interests of the county have better broadband speeds which might attract technology companies and home workers in the current environment but from what i've heard, and i've not been able to find evidence of it even though it makes sense, is that kerry county council won't allow radio masts to be built within 2km of homes. This would hamper wimax and even 3g rollouts down here, which is also why my mobile signal is so bad.

Apologies on what started as helpful post turning into a rant

but from what i've heard, and i've not been able to find evidence of it even though it makes sense, is that kerry county council won't allow radio masts to be built within 2km of homes. This would hamper wimax and even 3g rollouts down here, which is also why my mobile signal is so bad.

Fully agree with you. The problem with erecting masts is that the council have to deal with the NIMBY gang also. Everybody wants broadband but nobody (rightly or wrongly) wants masts near them and unfortunately even the great unwashed get to vote so councillors listen to them.

• Advertisement

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Fully agree with you. The problem with erecting masts is that the council have to deal with the NIMBY gang also. Everybody wants broadband but nobody (rightly or wrongly) wants masts near them and unfortunately even the great unwashed get to vote so councillors listen to them.
    We will be getting fibre optic lines as soon as eircom are out of examinership - or at least this is their intention.

We will be getting fibre optic lines as soon as eircom are out of examinership - or at least this is their intention.
    With eircom involved I'll believe it when I see it. We're currently living in listowel town and eircom are only offering 3mbps with no intention of upgrading the exchange.

With eircom involved I'll believe it when I see it. We're currently living in listowel town and eircom are only offering 3mbps with no intention of upgrading the exchange.
    2137544575.png
    I dont think Eircom is too bad in comparison with UPC. This is an 8 meg test that I've just done. With the 14 meg line I had with UPC I would get about 8mb/s actual speed, so its all well and good for them to be advertising 24 meg fibre broadband, but you don't get anything close to what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

I dont think Eircom is too bad in comparison with UPC. This is an 8 meg test that I've just done. With the 14 meg line I had with UPC I would get about 8mb/s actual speed, so its all well and good for them to be advertising 24 meg fibre broadband, but you don't get anything close to what you pay for

I have 30mb with UPC and usually get over this in a speediest, I also get 3.2mb up. you were probably testing your speed over a wireless connection or you had a line fault. I'd never go back to eircom and pay line rental.
    UPC fibre far superior.

2137544575.png

I would kill for those kind of speeds in Listowel :rolleyes:
    300kbps is the very best we can get. The annoying thing is that even though the exchange only supports 3mb you still pay for the 8mb product.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

300kbps is the very best we can get. The annoying thing is that even though the exchange only supports 3mb you still pay for the 8mb product.

Yeah, if I were to do a line test online it would say I can get up to 8mb but I know for a fact the max I could get is around 1mb. 40 quid a week for those speeds is a complete disgrace.

Does anyone know if Permanet, Kerry BB etc still operate through a clear line of sight? Had engineers from Irish Broadband (I think thats what they were called) call out around 3 years ago but trees were blocking the signal to the antenna. Currently with 3, it's so inconsistent that I'll have to get rid of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

siblers wrote: »
    Yeah, if I were to do a line test online it would say I can get up to 8mb but I know for a fact the max I could get is around 1mb. 40 quid a week for those speeds is a complete disgrace.

Does anyone know if Permanet, Kerry BB etc still operate through a clear line of sight? Had engineers from Irish Broadband (I think thats what they were called) call out around 3 years ago but trees were blocking the signal to the antenna. Currently with 3, it's so inconsistent that I'll have to get rid of it.

I just did that test and my results aren't the best
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2159992305.png

we are with Imagine (not wimax, just normal broadband). I don't really know whether to move, or who to move to!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

we are with Imagine (not wimax, just normal broadband). I don't really know whether to move, or who to move to!

It really does depend on how much your paying for it and what you are using it for. I've got eircom at home for 45 per month and I use it for downloading and streaming and I've a dongle for 10 per month for access on the go. There are loads of options if you are in town, so you might be able to get better speeds for a little bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

I would kill for those speeds. Where abouts are you based?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

top of Oakpark.
    To be honest, the speed is fine for us, we don't download stuff much so I personally don't care!
    It does drive me mad that I have to pay for line rental though, when we never use our phone as our mobile tarrif is better! But unfortunately we need a landline for our alarm system. Although I know we can get a system in that can replace the landline and still allow the alarm to work, but its pricey and not something we can afford at the moment. Plus the connection drops for no reason at least once a day (mainly evening) and Imagine don't have a clue why! We use them for work aswell and the same thing happens. The connection will drop for a few minutes and reconnect, but its very annoying!

We pay €46 'ish a month for broadband & line rental with Imagine, which is fine, but would like it to be cheaper!

• Advertisement

2162913503.png

Kerry broadband in a remote area weshht of Dingle :D

I hadn't heard of Kerry Broadband up until I saw this thread. Its good to see a Kerry business doing broadband! I would be interested in seeing what they can offer us. I just have the issue of needing the phoneline for our alarm, so not sure we'll save much by moving, plus they charge €99 for installation, which I find off putting to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

weisses wrote: »
    2162913503.png

Kerry broadband in a remote area weshht of Dingle :D

What offer did you take? Is the speed consistent?

keano25 wrote: »
    What offer did you take? Is the speed consistent?

Im on the 5/2 package for a couple of years now and speeds are consistent .. you have the odd interruption for maintenance but that's kept to a minimum and you get proper warning beforehand ... Latency is good as well for online gaming ... I must say hearing some of the horror stories regarding BB Im a happy customer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I hadn't heard of Kerry Broadband up until I saw this thread. Its good to see a Kerry business doing broadband! I would be interested in seeing what they can offer us. I just have the issue of needing the phoneline for our alarm, so not sure we'll save much by moving, plus they charge €99 for installation, which I find off putting to be honest.

Did you need a clear line of sight to an antenna to get Kerry BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Who are you with?:confused:

I live outside Listowel and am connected via a poxy old copper cable, and can only get 2mb with Vodafone. Before Vodafone took over BT's customers, I was getting 3mb. I've been fighting to get 3mb back for as long as I can rember, but I think Eircom is messing Vodafone around, just because they can.:mad:

I imagined that people in the town were getting almost 20mb odd download speeds.:confused:

AFAIK ..Yes

ejmaztec wrote: »

Who are you with?:confused:

I live outside Listowel and am connected via a poxy old copper cable, and can only get 2mb with Vodafone. Before Vodafone took over BT's customers, I was getting 3mb. I've been fighting to get 3mb back for as long as I can rember, but I think Eircom is messing Vodafone around, just because they can.:mad:

I imagined that people in the town were getting almost 20mb odd download speeds.:confused:
    I'm on 3mb with Vodafone but that's the line capacity. The max download speed you'll get from this over bit torrent is approx 300kbps.

I take it all back, just noticed that the Listowel exchange has been upgraded to 8mb.

I'm getting up to 800kbps downloads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Pretty sure you need a clear line of sight. I moved house a few months ago and set up my kerry broadband receiver on the new house. There were some trees blocking the view of the mast and it got no signal. Had to move it about 40 feet past the trees and mount it on an eircom post. Works perfect now.

2179692241.png

Advertisement