Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

did anyone mention if they are with O2 for landline and broadband & if so how do you find them?

Our work is moving to them for landline & broadband, and we have the option of doing the same at home now under the same deal. We won't save much monthly, but we will gain a faster speed (8mb!) and get minutes for nationand UK calls (which suits my hubby as he is from the UK so can ring home cheaper). We already have O2 mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    did anyone mention if they are with O2 for landline and broadband & if so how do you find them?

Our work is moving to them for landline & broadband, and we have the option of doing the same at home now under the same deal. We won't save much monthly, but we will gain a faster speed (8mb!) and get minutes for nationand UK calls (which suits my hubby as he is from the UK so can ring home cheaper). We already have O2 mobile.

In terms of internet speeds, it will be the exact same speed as similar offerings from Vodafone and Eircom.

The landline infrastructure is all owned by eircom and they lease it to the likes of Vodafone and now presumably O2. Vodafone and O2 then sell it on to home customers so at the end of the day, all 3 of them are selling the exact same product just with slightly different tarriffs and bundles.

I wasn't aware that O2 were getting into the landline market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Good news for Tralee users according to RadioKerry news!

Tralee to benefit from faster broadband

Tralee is to benefit from faster broadband. It's one of 13 communities included in phase III of Eircom's fibre rollout plan. Work is expected to begin this winter, with the aim of being finished by Easter next year.

Minister Jimmy Deenihan is welcoming the news, and says the new rollout plan will speed up internet access as well as improving the overall quality of service in the town.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

xxyyzz wrote: »
    In terms of internet speeds, it will be the exact same speed as similar offerings from Vodafone and Eircom.

The landline infrastructure is all owned by eircom and they lease it to the likes of Vodafone and now presumably O2. Vodafone and O2 then sell it on to home customers so at the end of the day, all 3 of them are selling the exact same product just with slightly different tarriffs and bundles.

I wasn't aware that O2 were getting into the landline market.

O2 are doing landlines for the business market - we are getting it in work and at home as we have an office at home, so they are going to include that for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

hoochis wrote: »
    Pretty sure you need a clear line of sight. I moved house a few months ago and set up my kerry broadband receiver on the new house. There were some trees blocking the view of the mast and it got no signal. Had to move it about 40 feet past the trees and mount it on an eircom post. Works perfect now.

2179692241.png
    Did that involve a lot of work with cables? Sick of 3 broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

siblers wrote: »
    Did that involve a lot of work with cables? Sick of 3 broadband

I had about 40 feet of cat5 cable buried under the ground. I threaded it through half inch plastic piping for extra protection. Drilled a hole through the gable of the house and connected it to the router. Not much work with cables really. Do you have a line of sight to the Kerry broadband mast?

Not directly no, but if they were to place the antenna a few metres above our chimney there's a possibility as our house is quite high. Its free to get a survey so worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

ongarboy wrote: »
    Good news for Tralee users according to RadioKerry news!

Tralee to benefit from faster broadband

Tralee is to benefit from faster broadband. It's one of 13 communities included in phase III of Eircom's fibre rollout plan. Work is expected to begin this winter, with the aim of being finished by Easter next year.

Minister Jimmy Deenihan is welcoming the news, and says the new rollout plan will speed up internet access as well as improving the overall quality of service in the town.
    Work started last week, fibre optic company were around at eircom points & hoping to provide limited service in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Cam2012

Which areas are they going to cover in this project?

Will it be only Tralee town or other places too.

For me I am having very slow connection with Eircom in Listellick with a lot of dropping the signal which is very bad esp when you are booking flights!!! May be next year after finishing contract with Eircom, I might move to Kerry broadband i guess.

Cam2012 wrote: »
    Which areas are they going to cover in this project?

Will it be only Tralee town or other places too.

For me I am having very slow connection with Eircom in Listellick with a lot of dropping the signal which is very bad esp when you are booking flights!!! May be next year after finishing contract with Eircom, I might move to Kerry broadband i guess.

I am having loads of problems with our connection dropping on the wireless connection on my laptop, firstly with Imagine, but now that we moved our home office connection (fixed line & broadband) with O2 business, it has been nothing but trouble, worse than it was before! I have been onto them and was advised to change the 'channel' on the wireless connection, but it made no difference.
    Have to get onto them again tomorrow & try and get it sorted.

• Advertisement

I am having loads of problems with our connection dropping on the wireless connection on my laptop, firstly with Imagine, but now that we moved our home office connection (fixed line & broadband) with O2 business, it has been nothing but trouble, worse than it was before! I have been onto them and was advised to change the 'channel' on the wireless connection, but it made no difference.

You should go onto the eircom forum and message one of the reps your phone-number. They will tell you the max speed your line can support, DSL is being sold to a lot of customers who have lines that can't properly handle DSL.

siblers wrote: »
    You should go onto the eircom forum and message one of the reps your phone-number. They will tell you the max speed your line can support, DSL is being sold to a lot of customers who have lines that can't properly handle DSL.

that seems to be what has happened, my father has the same problem since switching too, and found out they did sell us dsl which isn't compatible to our lines! Very clever, not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

that seems to be what has happened, my father has the same problem since switching too, and found out they did sell us dsl which isn't compatible to our lines! Very clever, not!!
    Google speedtest.net & it will give you an accurate reading of what speed you are actually getting as opposed to what eircom claim you're getting

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

What you all got to remember is that no matter who is providing you with cable based "broadband" they must use eircom cabling and it is just rubbish. It should also be understood that it is BT who provide all the landline broadband for O2, Vodafone and any other companys which are not eircom.

I was with Permanet and was getting rubbish speeds at the weekends and changed to the joke that calls itself rural broadband. I have had it since this day last week and the person who installed it reported that there was a fault with it, but nothing has been done to fix it. They are all but impossible to get to chat to and promise to call you back but never do, they are the most useless outfit I have come across. They say I can leave them any time as there is no contract, but I will not let them have their receiver till I get the money for the install refunded. I have Comreg on the job and they will get me my money back but it is the inconvenience of it all and then I need to get some other means of getting what laughably passes for broadband here. I have a free and full line of sight to the masts and should have no problem with kerryboradband, but they we the first people I contacted and they never even came out to do a site test nor would they get back to me when asked what they were doing. I am on the main Killarney/Killroglin road and there is a fibre cable running right past the front of the house, but eircom will not connect me or anyone else to it and all I can get from their copper wires is 1 Meg and I am not paying for, as others have said, big Meg download speeds that it is impossible to get, they should not be allowed to charge for something they are not supplying people with, i.e. they charge for 8 Meg and very few people in the country areas can ever hope to get that. You should never be forced to pay for something it is impossible to get, that is not legal I would have thought, but eircom can get away with anything, I would never go back to them, not if they gave me free calls and the chance of that is little. I am on the Beaufort exchange and they are not going to upgrade it, ever. Sorry for the rant and the long post.

Regards Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

kerrywez wrote: »
    What you all got to remember is that no matter who is providing you with cable based "broadband" they must use eircom cabling and it is just rubbish. It should also be understood that it is BT who provide all the landline broadband for O2, Vodafone and any other companys which are not eircom.
    I'm not sure about this part. O2 was a split from BT originally and was then bought out by Telefonica. I heard about BT pulling their landline broadband and forcing people to switch to vodafone but regardless, the lines going into your house are still owned by/leased from eircom.
    I am on the main Killarney/Killroglin road and there is a fibre cable running right past the front of the house, but eircom will not connect me or anyone else to it and all I can get from their copper wires is 1 Meg and I am not paying for, as others have said, big Meg download speeds that it is impossible to get, they should not be allowed to charge for something they are not supplying people with, i.e. they charge for 8 Meg and very few people in the country areas can ever hope to get that. You should never be forced to pay for something it is impossible to get, that is not legal I would have thought, but eircom can get away with anything, I would never go back to them, not if they gave me free calls and the chance of that is little. I am on the Beaufort exchange and they are not going to upgrade it, ever. Sorry for the rant and the long post.
    They don't charge you for 8 meg, all their ads say up to xmb download speed, no one gets that speed - not even if you were living next to the main exchange in Dublin.

The ISP's i've used are;
    O2 mobile broadband, meteor mobile broadband, esat BT, perlico, smart telecom, ripplecom, irish broadband, UPC and eircom. At the moment, I have eircom 8 meg with some landline package that I don't need or use but I pay for it anyway. The ads that say 'dont pay for a landline you wont use' are rubbish, fixed line wins 95% of the time. So I pay 50 a month for up to 8 meg (actual speed around 5), unlimited download usage and access to the setanta sports hub, which I use quite a lot. Its a bit expensive but its reliable and fast and they are a hell of a lot better to deal with than UPC.

How much have eircom quoted you to; A) connect with them and B) cost per month?

I'm not sure about this part. O2 was a split from BT originally and was then bought out by Telefonica. I heard about BT pulling their landline broadband and forcing people to switch to vodafone but regardless, the lines going into your house are still owned by/leased from eircom.

They don't charge you for 8 meg, all their ads say up to xmb download speed, no one gets that speed - not even if you were living next to the main exchange in Dublin.

The ISP's i've used are;
    O2 mobile broadband, meteor mobile broadband, esat BT, perlico, smart telecom, ripplecom, irish broadband, UPC and eircom. At the moment, I have eircom 8 meg with some landline package that I don't need or use but I pay for it anyway. The ads that say 'dont pay for a landline you wont use' are rubbish, fixed line wins 95% of the time. So I pay 50 a month for up to 8 meg (actual speed around 5), unlimited download usage and access to the setanta sports hub, which I use quite a lot. Its a bit expensive but its reliable and fast and they are a hell of a lot better to deal with than UPC.

How much have eircom quoted you to; A) connect with them and B) cost per month?
    First I would refer you to here _http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/29178-dif12 and I can add that the new sky browdband will be run by BT.

As I stated I have absolutely no interest in signing up to eircom they make me sick and they are far too expensive, if I wanted to have landline broadband I would go for UTV they are the best value for money and for €9.99 a month on top you can call free to anywhere in these islands for under 60 minutes, if you want to call any longer then you hang up and redial, but that is the same with all free calls packages.

They can only provide me with 1 Meg and that is not good enough for me, that is stone-age stuff, Fred Flintstone would have had faster. I shall have to try something other than landline, maybe I shall go for kerry broadband, if I can ever get them to do a site survey, this micky mouse outfit I am with at present are worse than useless, can't even use them for card sharing with my sat box keeps dropping the signal and as for trying to watch anything on youtube it is impossible.

Regards Wez

First I would refer you to here _http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-21/item/29178-dif12 and I can add that the new sky browdband will be run by BT.
    These are completely new lines so. Great, we should have them down here by 2075.
    As I stated I have absolutely no interest in signing up to eircom they make me sick and they are far too expensive, if I wanted to have landline broadband I would go for UTV they are the best value for money and for €9.99 a month on top you can call free to anywhere in these islands for under 60 minutes, if you want to call any longer then you hang up and redial, but that is the same with all free calls packages.

They can only provide me with 1 Meg and that is not good enough for me, that is stone-age stuff, Fred Flintstone would have had faster. I shall have to try something other than landline, maybe I shall go for kerry broadband, if I can ever get them to do a site survey, this micky mouse outfit I am with at present are worse than useless, can't even use them for card sharing with my sat box keeps dropping the signal and as for trying to watch anything on youtube it is impossible.

Regards Wez
    Up to last year I was streaming full HD on a 3 meg eircom line which should answer your questions about youtube.
    Kerry broadband 3 meg package is 25.40 per month which is very good. It works out as follows;
    25.40 X 12 = 304.80 plus 99.99 installation = 404.79 for the year

Eircom's 8 meg packagel; 45 per month with 5 EUR off for the first 6 months. It works out at
    40 x 6 + 45 X 6 = 510 plus 30 off your first bill brings the total to 480 for the year.

Not a whole pile of difference when you look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

These are completely new lines so. Great, we should have them down here by 2075.

Up to last year I was streaming full HD on a 3 meg eircom line which should answer your questions about youtube.
    Kerry broadband 3 meg package is 25.40 per month which is very good. It works out as follows;
    25.40 X 12 = 304.80 plus 99.99 installation = 404.79 for the year

Eircom's 8 meg packagel; 45 per month with 5 EUR off for the first 6 months. It works out at
    40 x 6 + 45 X 6 = 510 plus 30 off your first bill brings the total to 480 for the year.

Not a whole pile of difference when you look into it.

Second year being with KBB saves you 236 euro and that's a whole pile of difference

weisses wrote: »

Second year being with KBB saves you 236 euro and that's a whole pile of difference
    True. And by that time the eircom exchange will be fibreoptic

True. And by that time the eircom exchange will be fibreoptic

Just which century that will be is very much up for debate though. If and when they do crawl out of administration and do this great thing, how much do you think the rip off lot will be looking for it? They will never have fibre all over the country, OK for townies but not for us culchies.

Regards Wez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Kerryfisher

maybe I shall go for kerry broadband, if I can ever get them to do a site survey, this micky mouse outfit I am with at present are worse than useless, can't even use them for card sharing with my sat box keeps dropping the signal and as for trying to watch anything on youtube it is impossible.

Regards Wez

Hi Wez, hows it going, I have had KBB now for the past 12 months, the 3mb package, to be fair they are not bad really compared to the others, during the day its spot on 3mb down near enough, just evenings and busy times it can drop speed to .25 - .75
    I'm not sure they don't have some sort of throttling on at peak periods as well for the likes of youtube, still watchable though at 480 or so, still ten times better than what we had with IBB and less money, they were a disaster!
    I had wondered about Permanet but you have put me right off, they are not cheap neither and download limits are rubbish especially when you read the small print and it says
    A traffic quota applies to all permaNET broadband only and calls & broadband packages. The traffic quota is split 50/50 between peak and off peak times.
    Peak times are Monday to Sunday 06:00-23:59
    Off Peak Monday to Sunday 00:00-05:59

FFS!!!

Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

[duplicated in error]

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Here is a thread elsewhere on boards.ie dealing with bb in Kerry.

Recommended broadband for Kerry .

Im very surprised that KBB wont engage with you. The owner Paul is a good guy and posts on boards as KBB. Perhaps you should send him a PM?

Kerryfisher, yes Ive often noticed that youtube slows down to a crawl with KBB on occasion. When I mentioned the "throttling" word KBB vehemently denied the practice so I take them at their word that its contention.

The thing I like about KBB the most is that they are always improving and making things better and the they are attentive to their customer needs.

I get v good download speeds, fair upload speeds but suffer from latency (jitter etc) from time to time that can be frustrating.

Rev

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Redskinsdog

I dont think Eircom is too bad in comparison with UPC.

Just which century that will be is very much up for debate though. If and when they do crawl out of administration and do this great thing, how much do you think the rip off lot will be looking for it? They will never have fibre all over the country, OK for townies but not for us culchies.

Regards Wez
    Easter, but from the looks of things it could be much sooner for us townies as they are already laying cable. It's 10 euro extra for triple the speed. Not bad if you ask me.
    I wouldn't worry too much about them 'crawling' out of administration considering they are 2000 people go, closing regional offices and just shelled out circa 175 million on their 4g mobile network. Still bloated from it being a state enterprise, it's steps that should have been taken years ago. They have a forum on here too if you want to check it out with them.
    In the meantime let us know how you get on with kbb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭rupamede

Permanet lies to customers, I have documentary evidence of that which I can produce if necessary. The speeds they advertise are fake. I am paying 50euro but don't even get more then 3MB on a daily basis. I should be getting up to 10MB. When I contacted them about it they said I could have those speeds only if I upgraded to 600 euros per month. I have their email with me if you don't believe me. I am very disappointed.

Easter, but from the looks of things it could be much sooner for us townies as they are already laying cable. It's 10 euro extra for triple the speed. Not bad if you ask me.
    I wouldn't worry too much about them 'crawling' out of administration considering they are 2000 people go, closing regional offices and just shelled out circa 175 million on their 4g mobile network. Still bloated from it being a state enterprise, it's steps that should have been taken years ago. They have a forum on here too if you want to check it out with them.
    In the meantime let us know how you get on with kbb

That lot in Fenit are useless and I would not advise anyone to go near them, they never even took the bother to acknowledge receipt of my enquiry to them, tried calling them but every time all I got was their answering machine.
    I just do not understand them, they must have something against me and they have never met me so how they can ignore me I just do not understand, but feck the lot of them.

I have gone back to three that is how bad it got, some time I am getting bursts of over 10mbps but not often and not for very long either, but they are getting better. If they can ever get their heads out the sand and sort out their 4G then I see no advantage in going to a landline service as 4g should be way better and cheaper also, mind you they seem to be very good at dropping this connection for 5 to 10 mins at a time when it suites them, usually at the weekend and nights, bloody annoying when you are depending on it to watch something, so they would need to get that sorted first, thing is that nobody in this country seems to give a sh!t about customer support, well what for them passes as it.

Thanks again and good luck Wez

rupamede wrote: »
    Permanet lies to customers, I have documentary evidence of that which I can produce if necessary. The speeds they advertise are fake. I am paying 50euro but don't even get more then 3MB on a daily basis. I should be getting up to 10MB. When I contacted them about it they said I could have those speeds only if I upgraded to 600 euros per month. I have their email with me if you don't believe me. I am very disappointed.

Hi I would suggest that you take your complaint to Comreg, they know all about these people, not just Permanet either, but they will give them 10 days to respond to you or they will escalate it to a full blown dispute and they will conceed to you before they will let Comreg get into them.

Sorry for the short reply, but go to go out to meet a curier to get a parcel from him.

Best regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 22 KBB

That lot in Fenit are useless and I would not advise anyone to go near them, they never even took the bother to acknowledge receipt of my enquiry to them, tried calling them but every time all I got was their answering machine.
    I just do not understand them, they must have something against me and they have never met me so how they can ignore me I just do not understand, but feck the lot of them.

I have gone back to three that is how bad it got, some time I am getting bursts of over 10mbps but not often and not for very long either, but they are getting better. If they can ever get their heads out the sand and sort out their 4G then I see no advantage in going to a landline service as 4g should be way better and cheaper also, mind you they seem to be very good at dropping this connection for 5 to 10 mins at a time when it suites them, usually at the weekend and nights, bloody annoying when you are depending on it to watch something, so they would need to get that sorted first, thing is that nobody in this country seems to give a sh!t about customer support, well what for them passes as it.

Thanks again and good luck Wez
    Wez,

If memory serves correctly, we did indeed test your premises in the Beaufort area and notified you that your home location was not suitable for our service.
    I have just located emails which were sent to you and replies from you thanking us for checking so I am not sure what issues you have.
    Anyway, good luck with three

KBB

• Advertisement

KBB wrote: »
    Wez,

If memory serves correctly, we did indeed test your premises in the Beaufort area and notified you that your home location was not suitable for our service.
    I have just located emails which were sent to you and replies from you thanking us for checking so I am not sure what issues you have.
    Anyway, good luck with three

KBB

Hi you may have tested the location, but not in my presence and far from not being able to get your service here, I know for a fact that I could get it no problem, as I can see the mast as clear as I can see the letters I am typing here. As for the issues I have, you never took any notice of my request to you, at the time this is referring to, and don't even think about saying you did, because if you do then it will be lies you will be telling. I have no desire to get into any slaging episode with you regarding this matter. Like landline, your service will become redundant when 4G arrives, which will not be that long now, I have been told, so I do not require your service now.

Thanks for your good wishes and I wish you nothing but the best of luck.

Best regards Wez

Advertisement