Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolbooks.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 spiral1

not good news but was listening to 96fm this morning in Cork and apprently sb.ie has cancelled some advertising with the radio station...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - let's try to avoid scaremongering here, and instead stick to hard facts. I know it's a pressurised time of year for parents, but this is probably a business trying to keep afloat.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10 spiral1

i'm not scaremongering...log on to www.96fm.ie and listen back to Friday mornings (17/08/2012) Neil Prendeville show....

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

i was waiting for my schoolbooks.ie order nearly 7 weeks, during that time i contacted them twice and on both occasions they stated that they have all of them in stock and will post asap, i eventually received my order, but i can't say that im happy with waiting time and customer service

on the other hand im highly recommending joycegalway.com, they have decent prices, they doing covers, have some discounts and free postage, and what most important they delivered my order within two working days

im not affiliated with them in any way, they just do outstanding job, especially when you compare them to schoolbooks.ie so i think it is worth mentioning here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 clondalkinmum1

I had trouble getting through during the week to cancel my order as I was worried my child would go back to school this thursday with no books. nervous.gif I ended up having to go down to the new Wise Owl \ Opening Minds Bookshop in Clondalkin village and I wish I had of just gone down this route in the first place. Everything was in stock, got them all covered there and then and was out within 15 minutes. Brilliant service and really nice staff.

Heres their link if it helps:

http://www.openingminds.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I've deleted much of this post as it seems schoolbooks.ie are part of Aeon solutions which are quite a decent size company and I am of the belief now that it probably is more to do with software and stock issues and being far busier than expected rather than anything underhand. - that would count for cancelling adverts.

However, they really need to hone up their PR skills - I'm sure they've a book on it somewhere :) .

Still my advice - make 100% certain you pay with a credit card or VISA debit card - do NOT pay with a laser card or mastercard debit card. At least then, no matter what happens, your money is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The head of schoolbooks.ie was on the news at 7pm saying they'd hired 30 temp staff and now had 80 people working 24/7 to get over the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Its a mess and for sure if people had not kicked up a fuss there would have been a train crash thats for sure. This kind of service needs to be spot on as people need the book on time. Its important.

I would'nt use them and will continue to leave my list into the local book shop, even it means paying a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭aca101

Decided to go online for the first time this year to buy my son's books, what a bloody disaster it's been. Paid for the books on schoolbooks.ie 4/5 weeks ago now, after a few weeks there had been no sign, I sent a few emails and even called....no response from them at all.

I know one of my friends last year had the wrong books sent out to her but, she ended up going to her local shop to get the right books and then having to get the refund from schoolbooks.ie. At least she got the books before the kids had to go back to school.

I just hope all the kids will have their books in time for school, at the moment who knows. My first and definitely last time buying from this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

Just read on RTE that schoolbooks.ie have blamed a technical glitch for the backlog and have taken on extra temp staff to address the issues and clear the backlog asap. Full story here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0818/online-school-book-shop-apologises-over-delays.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nikkid677

Hi I'm having the same problem with schoolbooks.ie, I ordered mine the 4th of aug&they've took the money from my laser card, I sent two emails and have received no reply and I'm having trouble getting through on the phone, it's like the phone is off the hook most times or if I do get through for it to ring, I'm put on hold, I got the school books last year from them&i had no problems, they came when they said they would!
    I'm have the same problem too. Ordered books on the 8 th and still nothing. Was on hold for over have an hour and I just hung up. Same with trying to get through. Like as if the number isn't there. Have sent 3 emails and still nothing. I just hope I'm not going to be out of pocket. So frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1 book shops

Hi everyone, I am very sorry that you are all experiencingdifficulties with schoolbooks.ie. Iwould like to take this opportunity as a small retailer who has been sellingschoolbooks for over 15 years to tell you how this company and other largecompanies like this have adversely affected my business and the business ofother small shops. Due to the drop insales because of the competition I have faced over the past few years from bigFACTORY, FACELESS business like this I am now being faced with the decision asto whether to close my business or not this year. I have supported my community on aweekly/monthly basis, I have allowed families in financial difficulty to paytheir books off over a couple of months, I have offered a saving scheme with abonus of free covering to those that avail of it. I have been there for the local schoolchildren when they are sent home from school and told to buy an extraschoolbook or pick up scrapbooks etc. Ieven let kids take the stock if they have no money and come back and pay when theyare next passing. I employ 5 localpeople. Small schoolbook shops haveexpertise in our area and are there to recommend extra books, will source oldeditions, difficult to find books etc. The list is endless. Contrary to what the public may believe,shops receive 20% discount from the publishers on schoolbooks (e.g. €100 worthof schoolbooks gives us a GROSS profit of €20) out of this we have to pay rent,rates, tax, wages, light, heat, etc., so when you ask us to match the discountof these FACTORY companies, you might now understand why we can't. Also, it isworth noting that the savings may not always be as good as you think, have youmade price comparisons on stationery and also if you have to pay delivery, haveyou factored in how much of your 10% does that eat up? We are all hanging in bythe skin of our teeth. I understand thateveryone is struggling, but do you think your local community will be enrichedby the loss of your local bookshop? Doyou want to see ANOTHER empty unit in your town/village? Well this is what is going to happen ifpeople don't support us. I am saddenedthat I may have to close my business, also, some of my staff have been with mefor over 10 years and now possibly face redundancy. Please consider this nextyear when ordering your schoolbooks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

In reply to above post by Book Shops, I will also add at what rate do you value your time?

Ordering online for a full school book list probably costs €150 - €200. At a 10% saving this is €15-€20

Fair enough if it runs super smoothly and you are going to be available for delivery, but when there are problems how many hours of phoning, worrying etc do you have and is it worth it for €15 - €20.

In my day (long long time ago), we dropped a list into Sheerans in Dundrum and it was all packed any ready for us when we went to collect it and usually with a few bits of fun stationery thown in.

I assume they and every other small independent bookshop offers this service and many will be able to substitute with a couple of second hand books to pull the final bill down a bit - and then when the books are finished with, they may buy them back from you.

And then, If you find you made an error, they'll be happy to exchange with no hassles.

I can't see a warehouse operation doing any of this!

Like everythign - your LOCAL independent retailer in the end offers the best value. They don't have huge software costs, or a huge warehosue costs or head office costs - they make a living, just like everyone. Very few of them make more than is necessary to get on in life. - This applies from bookshops to hardware shops and everything inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭DUBLIN_person

book shops wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am very sorry that you are all experiencingdifficulties with schoolbooks.ie. Iwould like to take this opportunity as a small retailer who has been sellingschoolbooks for over 15 years to tell you how this company and other largecompanies like this have adversely affected my business and the business ofother small shops. Due to the drop insales because of the competition I have faced over the past few years from bigFACTORY, FACELESS business like this I am now being faced with the decision asto whether to close my business or not this year. I have supported my community on aweekly/monthly basis, I have allowed families in financial difficulty to paytheir books off over a couple of months, I have offered a saving scheme with abonus of free covering to those that avail of it. I have been there for the local schoolchildren when they are sent home from school and told to buy an extraschoolbook or pick up scrapbooks etc. Ieven let kids take the stock if they have no money and come back and pay when theyare next passing. I employ 5 localpeople. Small schoolbook shops haveexpertise in our area and are there to recommend extra books, will source oldeditions, difficult to find books etc. The list is endless. Contrary to what the public may believe,shops receive 20% discount from the publishers on schoolbooks (e.g. €100 worthof schoolbooks gives us a GROSS profit of €20) out of this we have to pay rent,rates, tax, wages, light, heat, etc., so when you ask us to match the discountof these FACTORY companies, you might now understand why we can't. Also, it isworth noting that the savings may not always be as good as you think, have youmade price comparisons on stationery and also if you have to pay delivery, haveyou factored in how much of your 10% does that eat up? We are all hanging in bythe skin of our teeth. I understand thateveryone is struggling, but do you think your local community will be enrichedby the loss of your local bookshop? Doyou want to see ANOTHER empty unit in your town/village? Well this is what is going to happen ifpeople don't support us. I am saddenedthat I may have to close my business, also, some of my staff have been with mefor over 10 years and now possibly face redundancy. Please consider this nextyear when ordering your schoolbooks.

I would agree with this post now. After initially ordering the books online because I thought they would be cheaper, I had to cancel my order and instead I went to the local bookshop. As it transpired the same books were only a couple of euro dearer then online. I know realize the error of my ways and I shouldve been supporting local buisness all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Just read all the posts on this and I am having the same problem with http://www.booksunlimited.ie/. They're not answering their phones and by email they have promised on 3 seperate occasions to post the books but no sign yet.
    HAs anyone else had any dealings with these guys?
    Cheers
    Terry (aka MAtt)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

This company is a joke. My order went in on the 11 July. No sigh...emailed 6 times no reply.rang last week no answer. Rang today and got told I'll receive my book Monday or Tuesday . Which is no good to me. He had no idea of any question I was asking it was like he was reading off s script. So I said ok cancel the order he sounded like he had done this a 100 times before. No point in complaining to them they obviously don't care. I'd rather pay the extra 10 % and actually get the books. Very annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Books ordered from schoolbooks.ie last July 26th, I am sick to the ends of the Earth of them.

I phoned again today.

Could they guarantee delivery by the end of this week? NO.

Can I call around and collect my order? NO. NO PUBLIC ACCESS TO THE WAREHOUSE.

Can they look up my order and see what it's status is? NO.

Can I speak to someone who can look up that information? NO.

Can I cancel my order? YES.

The lady apologised, said they had/have major technical difficulties, they are swamped, etc etc.

I can only say that whatever dork is running that company, he/she/they should go find some other employment because clearly they are INCOMPETENT.

NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I GIVE BUSINESS TO SCHOOLBOOKS.IE.

Also I do not belive their website statement, which says as follows:

Schoolbooks.ie would like to apologise to any customers currently experiencing a delay in receiving their school books. This delay has been caused by a technical issue at our warehouse, which resulted in a significant backlog of 5,000 orders, which we are working to clear.

In addition to our regular 50 strong team, we have brought in 30 extra staff and are now working 24 hours a day, seven days a week to clear the backlog. No families will be left without schoolbooks for the start of the school term.

Between the weekend and today the backlog has been reduced to approximately 3,000 orders, with a further 1,000 orders to be shipped later on. We are on track to have the backlog of orders dispatched by this Friday, ensuring that no-one is left without their school book order.

Lets analyse those numbers: Say with 12-hour shifts, there's 40 staff working 24 x 7. Say each person packs two orders per hour. That's a conservative 1600 orders per day processed, or 11200 per week. Their 'backlog of 5000 orders' would be cleared in a little over three days.

So I reckon the numbers in their statement are not accurate and they are misleading their customers onto thinking they are putting a major effort in. More likely it's a bunch of headless chickens over there running around in a panic.

/Rant

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

I rang them again today and got straight through... but there the plus side ended; when I asked could I check the status of my order, I was asked for my order no and email address, yer man on the phone typed them in... fair enough... then read out to me exactly what I would I would have seen if I had done it online. No further info available. Books ordered mid July. School starts Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 marigo1

I'm sick with schoolbooks.ie too
    ordered books and stationery over month ago, using a great deal- free delivery and free cover books .
    Got my order yesterday. No signs of covers for my books ,missing parts of my order ( ordered 15 copies got 11, pencils ordered 5 got 3 etc. )
    very poor rude customer service with poor english, ignorance.

dont know what had happened with them.I used to byu all books and stationery since came to Ireland ,never had problems- but this year ,their service is awful - if we can say there is any service.

so difficult times for everybody ,not only for us parents but also for companies to gain customers....really cant understand their acting. dont they care anymore?
    just few days to school and I must to run around shops to look for covers, and missing parts from my order.I'm mad:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The problem is probably down to demand. They may have not expected as many orders and then need to chase their suppliers. Getting extra staff who have to then process calls/emails/order/complaints on top of the original problem makes it an unholy mess.

They seem to be promissing orders by Tuesday so have to wait and see I suppose. Kids can wait a day or two, its an issue in the media daily so schools will be aware of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 carrieblue

Schoolbooks.ie is a joke, I rang on Friday and spoke to the rudest man i have ever spoken too. He could not even pronounce my name correctly, I had to ask him would he check my order which was a huge effort for him.When he did he repeated numerous times it would be dispatched on Friday and as for delivery he said he could not say how long gls couriers would be . I advised him i wasn't concerned over the courier company but my order getting that far . He was no help at all and I think he was reading something to the best of his ability off a script over and over again . I placed my order back in mid July.

This company was very quick to take payment , I will never use this company ever again. I have one son starting school on Tuesday with no books and another 3 waiting for theirs and no word of an apology from the man in schoolbooks.ie only did i not know they have a backlog .....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

This company are unbelievable. Having been told that we would recieve our books Monday at the latest we still have not received them. They are not answering their phones and have a lovely big notice on their website saying that the backlog has been cleared and that customers should track their order on the gls website.....even though no one can get a tracking no off them!!:mad: Havent been this annoyed at a company since NTL:rolleyes:

Seriously though a bit of communication or a news release would be helpful. I'm afraid of buying them again in the shop in case they wont issue a refund.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If they tell absolutely everyone their order is shipped then there won't be no more cancellations, simples. :)l

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

I'm not going to bother reading through this thread as i know what i'm going to read will be no different to my own story, i was told the 566 euro's worth of books i ordered a month ago were on the way last friday, as of today no books so in a final desperation i went direct to the warehouse were the books are stocked... i handed in my order number and waited 10 minutes to be told my order had not even been processed yet and they didnt know when it would be, they cant pick the books while you wait so i was refunded my money and was told it will take 3/5 working days for it to reappear in my bank, so now i have to spend the same amount elsewhere tomorrow on the books for my two kids who returned to school last thursday, i've used this company for the past four years but wont ever again, people are being fed lies and this was admitted to me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Ours were delivered this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭AL 555

Of the five people trying to find out about their orders while i was there one person was lucky enough to get theirs, everyone else was refunded their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

We received a text message from either schoolbooks.ie or GLS over the weekend saying delivery would be Monday or Tuesday.

Our order, placed 3rd wk of July, arrived at 6pm yesterday (Tuesday).

All items were present and correct in fairness, and all books were covered.

After three years of ordering from them, I will be taking my business elsewhere. I have lost confidence in that company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Finally got through this morning and my order is not even ready. So much for them saying the backlog was clear. Cancelled so I better get my money back. NEVER USE THIS COMPANY!!

Advertisement