Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schoolbooks.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Easons managed to deliver within a few days, you really need to be on the ball when running this kind of business and have the resources to do so.

Tried to deliver my order this morning at 9.30. My daughter started school at 8.45!! I refused delivery which is what I had been told to do.

I ordered from abcbooks.ie on a thursday and got the books the following day. I'll be using them next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

Had the same experience, ordered the books 6 weeks ago, emailed them a few times looking for a delivery date, no response. Started ringing on friday, mon and tues, was told that the books were being delivered that day. Waited but no joy. Got through again today after 1 hour on hold, was told that they were being delivered today and not to go to the warehouse as there was no parking. Arrived at warehouse on Oak Road in the Western Industrial Estate, no sign on outside, recognised it by the line of cars parked on the road. There was ample parking, customers were prevented form using it by a closed gate and security guard. There were about 13 employees cars parked in the car park. no delivery lorries arrived or left in the 90 minutes I was there. A female employee spoke to customers through the gate. She could not give me the books I had ordered and paid for, nor a delivery date. She claimed to have given me a refund to my card which had not arrived by close of business today. The place has the smell of death about it, there is something seriously wrong there, hope the refund comes through. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

namoosh wrote: »
    She claimed to have given me a refund to my card which had not arrived by close of business today. The place has the smell of death about it, there is something seriously wrong there, hope the refund comes through. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Here's how a normal refund works
    A refund goes through their system. The processing bank downloads all the data on that tonight. Tomorrow the processing bank divides all the data up and tomorrow night the info is sent down to your card issuer.

So it will be Friday before the refund appears on your account if it was done today.

As for the type of place it is - its a big warehouse in an industrial estate. No fancy window displays. - Even on a nice summer's day it will be a relatively dreary place and this should have no bearing on the operation itself.

However, to anyone thinking of setting up and online store - this is EXACTLY how NOT to do it. - Their overall management of the situation has been appalling and gives all online shopping a bad reputation.

sandin wrote: »
    A refund goes through their system. The processing bank downloads all the data on that tonight. Tomorrow the processing bank divides all the data up and tomorrow night the info is sent down to your card issuer.

So it will be Friday before the refund appears on your account if it was done today.

As for the type of place it is - its a big warehouse in an industrial estate. No fancy window displays. - Even on a nice summer's day it will be a relatively dreary place and this should have no bearing on the operation itself.

However, to anyone thinking of setting up and online store - this is EXACTLY how NOT to do it. - Their overall management of the situation has been appalling and gives all online shopping a bad reputation.

Thanks for the information about the refund, its not the dreary warehouse that worried me, it was the lack of activity, with the backlog they have, I'd expect a lot more people working there and vans and lorries going in and out all the time trying to clear the backlog. Nothing went in or out in the time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Placed an order over 2 weeks ago and according to the Order Tracker, my order is "Queued For Picking:" since Monday. Emailed them and no response, so emailed again and still no response. Could not get through on their phone line several times yesterday and still unable to get through. I noticed that they charged my credit card the day after the order was placed. Seriously thinking of asking my bank to cancel that charge. Anyone else in the same situation ?

I managed to get a SchoolBooks customer service agent after 15 mins on hold. The said the order is still "Queued For Picking" with no confirmation as to when it would actually be shipped, so I asked to cancel the order. Apparently, it will take 3 to 5 working days to process.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

This is absolutely ridiculous that its still ongoing. I wouldn't trust the company if they are repeatedly telling us the backlog is cleared when reports are saying its not. Their protocols to fix communication and the backlog are clearly failing.

Cancel your order and get it from someone else, for the sake of your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MC999

Just got off the phone for the 5th time. Told on tue that my order had shipped & would arrive on Wed. Rang on Wed & told they would arrive today. So needless to say they did not arrive today so I rang again. Guess what!! My order hasn't even been picked yet so at best it will be some time next week before the order arrives. So not only are they messing up the orders they are lying to us on the phone. THIS COMPANY SHOULD NEVER BE USED AGAIN BY ANY CUSTOMER

There wasn't a whole lot of activity at the warehouse yesterday, apart from disgruntled customers looking for books, I can't see them clearing the backlog, they have lied repeatedly to their customers, i cut my losses and bought elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭shawmor

I'd love to cancel my order.......if they answered their phone that might be possible!! NEVER AGAIN!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

shawmor wrote: »
    I'd love to cancel my order.......if they answered their phone that might be possible!! NEVER AGAIN!

If you paid by credit card, you can write to the issuer (ask them for the info) and seek a refund as they have not delivered the goods as originally agreed.

Sully wrote: »
    shawmor wrote: »

If you paid by credit card, you can write to the issuer (ask them for the info) and seek a refund as they have not delivered the goods as originally agreed.

Unfortunately I paid by laser :( I've emailed and phoned no answer. I was on hold for over an hour today and then got cut off! I'm left with no choice but to go up there.

sandin wrote: »

Had paid by laser, refund arrived in bank yesterday Mon 3rd.

Gets even better my children's school think I'm lying about ordering the books as it was on the news that they had cleared everything!! Rang today again no answer! Never ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Smarypants

I'm at my wit's end. I have two kids really embarrassed by not having their books. I have spent literally hours hanging on the phone listening to the music, with no response. HELP!

I cancelled my order on the phone a week ago and was told that my Credit would be processed with 5 working days. Today I got a call from a courier trying to deliver my order. I refused delivery as I purchased the books elsewhere. I tried to phone Schoolbooks back to ask why my order was not cancelled. Cannot get through. Now I worry that my Credit will not be processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am very glad the day I priced up all the books on schoolbook.ie - I had no money in my account ! I wanted to check out how much it would cost to cover each book - a euro a book, couldn't decide if that was expensive or reasonable... So covered them myself anyway.

I am sorry to hear about all the hardship ye have had with getting the books. Really not what anyone needs for two reason: 1. during the summer holidays which should be a time to relax & 2. getting the kids back to school with everything is stressful & expensive enough without having to fork out for the same thing twice whilst waiting for a refund.

Smarypants wrote: »
    I'm at my wit's end. I have two kids really embarrassed by not having their books. I have spent literally hours hanging on the phone listening to the music, with no response. HELP!

Go to their warehouse, get a refund on your card, it came through for me, buy the books locally or order from another online company.

Redtop wrote: »
    I cancelled my order on the phone a week ago and was told that my Credit would be processed with 5 working days. Today I got a call from a courier trying to deliver my order. I refused delivery as I purchased the books elsewhere. I tried to phone Schoolbooks back to ask why my order was not cancelled. Cannot get through. Now I worry that my Credit will not be processed.

legally they have to.

Also, according to Phoenix magazine, (6th Sept issue) the company has some heavy hitters behind it and got €600,000 investment earlier this year, so there's no worry on the finance side.

Shareholders include one of the guys who sold out his pharmacy chain for multi millions a few years ago.

But considering the heavy hitters thay have as shareholders, surely one of them would know a PR company!!

• Advertisement

Id cancel my order if someone answered the phone or read my emails!!

namoosh wrote: »
    Go to their warehouse, get a refund on your card, it came through for me, buy the books locally or order from another online company.

Assuming their warehouse is in Dublin, that does not suit everyone outside The Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I cancelled my order (via email) on Sept 1st as it was obviously not going to get delivered in a timely fashon.
    They attempted to deliver then this morning - muppets.....
    ..obviously I've not got my refund yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orkney

I cancelled my order on 10th Sept after waiting for 2 weeks for a book they said theyd post on 28th Aug? tried calling but after over an hour on phone waiting to be answered NOTHING. Tried again on 13th Sept same again.
    On 14th Sept my order arrived which i promptly returned as id already sourced books elsewhere as it was now 2 weeks into term. I used registered post to ensure I had a record of delivery and it was returned .
    Still waiting for reply to my refund request: I might as well whistle.
    Ive sent emails to 3 different people in company and also posted message on Facebook page of Bestsellers.ie with SAME PHONE NUMBER?????.
    Time will tell?

Same story here I cancelled my order in August after being told theorder had shipped when it hadn't even been picked as I got the books in the local bookshop who were great. Refund due to my card within 3 days. Delivery arrived a week later & I refused to accept it. No refund to date. I have spent over five and a half hours on hold over the last few days trying to get my money back. Is there any hope of getting it back. I have emailed that I will be reporting it to the Gardai as I regard it as theft. Its amazing how annoying the on hold music gets after a while. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Have you tried contacting your bank and request a charge back. They should be able to do it if it is a credit card. Even if it is a debit card it would be worth giving the bank a shout to see if they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Orkney

I got an email from ddeegan@schoolbooks.ie today saying they are refunding me my money and postage and cheque is in the post!
    I must have annoyed someone enough to get a reply!

MC999 wrote: »
    I have emailed that I will be reporting it to the Gardai as I regard it as theft.

Sorry, but they'll laugh at this comment and put you to the back of the pile.

#1 - don't be wasting gardai time - they have enough real issue to deal witth
    #2 - its a civil matter, so gardai cannot do anything whatsoever anyway.

#3 - If you've paid by creditcard and have not recieved an item from whatever source, you very simply call your credit card company and do a chargeback. Takes 2 minutes and they will do all the chasing for you. Company gets 10 days to respond - if they don't provide proof of delivery the charge is automatically paid back to you.

Thanks. I will contact the bank & see how I get on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 gismoet

Same problem here. Order a book and two weeks later no delivery. There have been no response to emails to info@bestsellers.ie
    so I have now sent an email to ddeegan@schoolbooks.ie as they are obviously the same company. Will give 24 hours before I cancel my credit card transaction.

Advertisement