Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking notes.

Options
  • 15-08-2012 7:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭

Not sure where this should be as the Edu forum doesnt seem to have sub forum for just general education related stuff. So if a mod wants to move it somewhere more appropriate please do.

I'm studying again after leaving school about 10 years ago. I never made it as far as leaving cert so I never actually had to do a whole lot of anything in relation to studying. I read and tried to memorise stuff and answered questions. Thats about the extent of what I know of how to study.

Now I'm reading and trying to take notes on relevant points and trying to summarise different things as I go along. And I'm lost I really am. I have like 20 pages to read for what I'm doing (following along a college curriculum at home) and if I was actually in college I'd have 2 days to do that. Thing is there is so much in the stuff I'm reading that everything seems relevant to me. And I'm all but copying the text by hand word for word which is extremely time consuming and I'd imagine not as effective as it should be.

But I just dont know what to take note of and what not to or how to group them into something else and take note of that. I just dont know and if I was in college and trying to get this stuff read and learned in a couple of days while having a raft of other stuff to do my head would probably explode.

Anyone any ideas on how I can improve in this regard ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Maybe you could do a study skills programme or something like that? I know when I was in school we did one to help with the leaving and they definitely covered effective note taking. I think UCD offer some modules & classes to help with that sort of thing, maybe where you're studying does too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Muir wrote: »
    Maybe you could do a study skills programme or something like that? I know when I was in school we did one to help with the leaving and they definitely covered effective note taking. I think UCD offer some modules & classes to help with that sort of thing, maybe where you're studying does too?

I'm just studying at home, I'll see if I can find something similar online. I'd be interested to hear others take on it though. At the moment its a full time tack reading and taking notes from the text book. If I was actually in college with other classes and assignments I'd be having a breakdown.

How long should it take to "read" 20 pages of a text book and whats the level of notes I should be taking from it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Moon Indigo

Hi, I returned to study after a long time away from it and I do know were you are coming from. It can be overwhelming at but eating elephants you know? How do you do it? You don't eat a whole one but Slowly and bit by bit !:p

I am not sure if this is of any help but here goes...
    Personally I think it matter what you are studying as in a soft science (Social Care for example) or a more scientific based course such as say accountancy. But either way I guess they are setting and asking the questions for you to answer so answer you must.

Firstly look at what the question is actually asking. As stupid as that may sound I mean really examine the bits of the question that they are asking for example "Example of inequality in your community" so if I was sitting down to answer that I would look at the question is two parts.. equality/inequality (compare/contrast) and the next part 'your community' so from that you can really start to think and draw out the information that you feel is needed. It is important say in this instance to really involve yourself and answer the question from your view. Everything may seem relevent but I find like I said really taking that time at the start and not rushing in to answer really does set you up nicely.;)

I then mind map.. I am sure you have done this but if not the drill is usually just the question in the centre and any ideas that come out of your brain related to that question. I mean anything just letting it flow is the secret.

From this I then group some of the ideas that are kind of related, linked, similar or could go together then I explore these further. It helps to get going on an essay or question in my view and narrows down the avenues that you are looking at. It can also when grouped be used as chapter headings.

I then get to the nitty gritty of researching some of the ideas that came up or those that interest me or I think may put a personal, new or original slate on the question. Use every source for research again this could be course/subject dependent not quite sure.

Reading the information and getting a grip with it is the key. Remember the notes you take are just for you (mostly!) and so make them easy to read, understand and unique to you. Knowing what kind of learner you are really helps and this is a road of discovery. Some people learn through listening, some through constant re-reading some through writing and re-rewriting or seeing it written. Use different colour pens/markers what ever works for you trial and error.

I have probably totally rambled on and if so I am sorry! :o. It is important to plan, read, re-read, organise and examine in my view. And if all else fails like the other poster said maybe you could look to some study support through the college? Either way don't panic and if I have confused you totally and not even answered the question (quite possible) really sorry!.

The more you read, the quicker you'll get. But you shouldn't really be focusing on every detail, just key points which help you remember things. It does get easier with practice. You should be able to pick out key words, and write those down instead of full sentences and they should jog things.

For example, you should be pretty much able to sum up what I wrote above with:
    -Practice
    -Key points

And that would be enough to make you remember that the more you read & take notes the easier it will become and you should focus on key points, not all details.

So the idea is sort of that your key points will bring back the other information when you read them, instead of needing every little piece of info. You will get used to it as you go along. But do some google searches, there are tips online aswell.

This is actually for mature students going back to education in UCD doing an access course, it has info on note taking, mind maps, essay writing, answering questions etc.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Assessment%20Guidelines%20Rewrite%202011%20RW.pdf

• Advertisement

Hi, I returned to study after a long time away from it and I do know were you are coming from. It can be overwhelming at but eating elephants you know? How do you do it? You don't eat a whole one but Slowly and bit by bit !:p

I am not sure if this is of any help but here goes...
    Personally I think it matter what you are studying as in a soft science (Social Care for example) or a more scientific based course such as say accountancy. But either way I guess they are setting and asking the questions for you to answer so answer you must.

Firstly look at what the question is actually asking. As stupid as that may sound I mean really examine the bits of the question that they are asking for example "Example of inequality in your community" so if I was sitting down to answer that I would look at the question is two parts.. equality/inequality (compare/contrast) and the next part 'your community' so from that you can really start to think and draw out the information that you feel is needed. It is important say in this instance to really involve yourself and answer the question from your view. Everything may seem relevent but I find like I said really taking that time at the start and not rushing in to answer really does set you up nicely.;)

I then mind map.. I am sure you have done this but if not the drill is usually just the question in the centre and any ideas that come out of your brain related to that question. I mean anything just letting it flow is the secret.

From this I then group some of the ideas that are kind of related, linked, similar or could go together then I explore these further. It helps to get going on an essay or question in my view and narrows down the avenues that you are looking at. It can also when grouped be used as chapter headings.

I then get to the nitty gritty of researching some of the ideas that came up or those that interest me or I think may put a personal, new or original slate on the question. Use every source for research again this could be course/subject dependent not quite sure.

Reading the information and getting a grip with it is the key. Remember the notes you take are just for you (mostly!) and so make them easy to read, understand and unique to you. Knowing what kind of learner you are really helps and this is a road of discovery. Some people learn through listening, some through constant re-reading some through writing and re-rewriting or seeing it written. Use different colour pens/markers what ever works for you trial and error.

I have probably totally rambled on and if so I am sorry! :o. It is important to plan, read, re-read, organise and examine in my view. And if all else fails like the other poster said maybe you could look to some study support through the college? Either way don't panic and if I have confused you totally and not even answered the question (quite possible) really sorry!.

I'm really more concerned with the note taking now as I havent came to any real essay type situation but I'll have to encounter that too I suppose and what you said makes a lot of sense about breaking up the main points. I'm actually studying computer science so this type of thinking seems to be prevalent in the materiel. Break everything down into manageable problems while being mindful of the big picture. Probably applies to everything.

I have read about the difference in type of learning before but havent a clue what way I do it. Backwards most likely :p But as you say its a matter of trial and error for a large part and hopefully I'll settle into some particular way that suits me.

The more you read, the quicker you'll get. But you shouldn't really be focusing on every detail, just key points which help you remember things. It does get easier with practice. You should be able to pick out key words, and write those down instead of full sentences and they should jog things.

For example, you should be pretty much able to sum up what I wrote above with:
    -Practice
    -Key points

And that would be enough to make you remember that the more you read & take notes the easier it will become and you should focus on key points, not all details.

So the idea is sort of that your key points will bring back the other information when you read them, instead of needing every little piece of info. You will get used to it as you go along. But do some google searches, there are tips online aswell.

I understand you perfectly. Would a read through of the material and then writing a short summary such as "practice" and "key points" and then re-reading it with those in mind help me associate the material with those trigger words I wonder ? Because as it is I just about copy from the book as I go which ends up with me writing everything down in isolation and probably overloading my head with detailed description after detailed description and not getting the comprehension out of it.

This is actually for mature students going back to education in UCD doing an access course, it has info on note taking, mind maps, essay writing, answering questions etc.

http://www.ucd.ie/t4cms/Assessment%20Guidelines%20Rewrite%202011%20RW.pdf

Excellent ! Thanks.

Scioch wrote: »
    I understand you perfectly. Would a read through of the material and then writing a short summary such as "practice" and "key points" and then re-reading it with those in mind help me associate the material with those trigger words I wonder ? Because as it is I just about copy from the book as I go which ends up with me writing everything down in isolation and probably overloading my head with detailed description after detailed description and not getting the comprehension out of it.

Yeah, that could be a good idea.
    You can try answering some questions on the topic. If you get things wrong you can go back to your key points, if you need to then you could go back to the book (maybe note the page beside the point). If you keep quizzing yourself & going over your key points the information should stick. You definitely do get used to it though. As you do it you realise what works for you. Everyone is different, like a friends notes on a topic might be completely useless to you because their style is different.

Day by day you will notice yourself getting better at it and managing to cut down the amount you're writing. See if you can get past exam papers too which might help you judge how much & what info you really need.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'm in a unique position in so far as I am on both ends of study - as a lecturer in my day job and I am engaging in further study myself.

My background is computer science and I am studying education, the two topics couldn't be more different. However, heres what works for me.

First of all, set yourself achievable goals. As in by week x, I will have a,b and c done. The fact that you are following a curriculum should clarify what you need to achieve and when.

Secondly, don't try and memorise stuff - its not the most effective way of learning. In Computer Science, for example, there are various mnemonics (the 7 layer ISO model springs to mind) that can help you.

Thirdly, it may take several readings of a topic to get your head around it. As others have said, summarise key points, don't copy verbatim.

If you are reading from a book, look at questions at the end of each chapter to see how you get on. If you get stuck, get on to fellow students and teaching staff for clarity. Getting another viewpoint cake make the incomprehensible clear. Studying on your own can be very lonesome.

Some Computer Science topics can be very practical, so practice does make perfect. You can download all manner of free software tools for your course such as databases, programming languages and networking software.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    First of all, set yourself achievable goals. As in by week x, I will have a,b and c done. The fact that you are following a curriculum should clarify what you need to achieve and when.

Quick question in relation to this. Curriculum I'm following is for a three lecture week. Mon - Wed - Fri. With assigned readings to be done for the lecture days. Problem I have run into is that I am struggling with the readings, not in understanding them but with taking notes as I just copy verbatim pretty much. Then I'm not finished when I should be watching another lecture and put it off as I'm worried I'll end up so far behind in the readings that the lectures wont make sense and I really will be studying on my own well behind where I should be and I'll fall into despair.

Should I be reading the material as my time allows ? Read it without taking notes then take as much notes as I can and letting the notes suffer to keep in tune with the curriculum ? So that worst case scenario I have covered the material on some level or will that put my comprehension behind ?

As I'm doing this from home and not actually in college would it be better to space things out more to allow myself time to go at my own pace or should I stick to the normal pace and force myself to acclimatise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Should I be reading the material as my time allows ? Read it without taking notes then take as much notes as I can and letting the notes suffer to keep in tune with the curriculum ? So that worst case scenario I have covered the material on some level or will that put my comprehension behind ?

This option sounds best. When I have to do readings before classes (or seminars in my case), I am usually only vaguely familiar with the material going into class. I find the time in front of the teacher helps solidify and reinforce what I pre-read. I also make sure I ask as many questions as possible and seek as much clarifications I can. I'm a pain of a student. :D

It's worth repeating, don't copy verbatim, summarise.

I also find pictures/images/doodles work really well when trying to understand something. Don't be afraid to "draw" concepts.
    As I'm doing this from home and not actually in college would it be better to space things out more to allow myself time to go at my own pace or should I stick to the normal pace and force myself to acclimatise ?

Don't let yourself fall behind, especially in Computer Science. Topics build on one another, so if you miss something in the early stages, it could come back to bite you later. You may find yourself needing to put in extra hours, especially in the early stages. But don't worry about this - as you get into the rhythm of things, it will become easier to keep up and learn as you go. Again, seek help from other students and staff members. Even here on Boards.ie there are plenty of people only to willing to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I would always read through it first without taking notes. If you go in with the intent of taking notes you can miss things so just read it to get an understanding of the topic. After you've done that, read it again and take note of the information that doesn't automatically come to mind or you blank on.

Try make things follow in a pattern. A has to happen so B can follow then lead to C. Draw it on the page like Tom has said ^^^
    Visuals are great aids and are easier to recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Hi,

if you're interested in how you learn best, google 'learning styles quiz' and take a couple of the little tests. It's possible that reading and writing aren't the best ways for you to study.

What I found really helpful was a Tony Buzan book on mind maps. I'd been out of college for four years before I went back to finish my degree and it really got me through my final year. (that was in English and philosophy though, might not be so useful for computer science)

Advertisement