Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest coastal village: Cushendun, Glenariff/Waterfoot, Carnlough or Cushendall?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

Would anybody have recommendations for nice coastal villages on the Antrim or Derry coast? These places are topping the list so far even though Cushendall is a bit inland. I was in Ballycastle (lovely place) years ago for a fleadh so will probably give it a miss this time.

Glenariff sounds good with its waterfall and forest park as we're both into walking. But I'd never heard of it until a google search this evening. We are going to go up in the morning for a couple of days but finding a good quality hotel is proving difficult. Ideally, we'd like to be near the sea in an area free from hassle. A good restaurant would also be appreciated.

PS: If we were to drive along the coast from Dublin to north Antrim, what places would you advise to avoid with a Dublin reg in the North? I surmise Larne and Carrickfergus? Where else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭mr chips

Cushendall is right on the coast, it has a beach and all ... There's a hotel called the Glens Hotel there but I've never stayed in it. TBH any B&B should be grand, there's one on the main street in Cushendall that seems to be well-regarded, can't remember the name but it's a few doors down from Harry's Bar. Outside of Ballyvoy (which is a wee bit inland) there's a B&B called Teach an Cheoil, I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy staying there as the owners are musicians and pretty affable. Further round he coast from Ballycastle is the Fullerton Arms in Ballintoy - again I've no idea about the accommodation, but the food should be good and the atmosphere welcoming.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Tool_

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Would anybody have recommendations for nice coastal villages on the Antrim or Derry coast? These places are topping the list so far even though Cushendall is a bit inland. I was in Ballycastle (lovely place) years ago for a fleadh so will probably give it a miss this time.

Glenariff sounds good with its waterfall and forest park as we're both into walking. But I'd never heard of it until a google search this evening. We are going to go up in the morning for a couple of days but finding a good quality hotel is proving difficult. Ideally, we'd like to be near the sea in an area free from hassle. A good restaurant would also be appreciated.

PS: If we were to drive along the coast from Dublin to north Antrim, what places would you advise to avoid with a Dublin reg in the North? I surmise Larne and Carrickfergus? Where else?

Stunning part of the country and Cushendall would be the pick of those villages as a base. The scenery in Glenariffe is stunning but the village itself (Waterfoot) is pretty dead, so Cushendall is a better bet for eating and drinking.

No bother at all with a southern reg car unless you plan on calling into a hellhole of a loyalist housing estate. These are easily avoided due to their fondness for p1ssing up lampposts expressing their cultural heritage in flag form. So drive from Belfast to the coast at Larne (the stretch from Carrick to Larne is pretty bland anyway, then the road hugs teh coast round to Cushendall. Worth teh trip for the drive itself.

If you want a real rural experience stay here: a working farm/b and b on the edge of the Forest Park in Glenariffe. Views are beyond stunning (pics on website really don't do it justice), waterfalls and amazing walks on your doorstep, pet donkeys, sheep and horses. One of the most peaceful places I've eve been: http://www.dieskirtfarm.co.uk/

It's a couple of miles out in the sticks though, so if you want to be in the middle of the village stay here: http://www.thevillagebandb.com/

Advertisement