Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early pregnancy assessment unit?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hiya sorry if this is a bit daft and TMI.

I'm about 9 weeks gone and earlier noticed brown discharge. Quite a lot of it. I'm a bit achey but it feels like ligament pains rather than cramps. I get them when I move too quick. Worried sick I might've had a miscarraige.

I haven't been to my GP yet. I just did the same as I did with my first pregnancy and contacted the hospital myself but I haven't heard back from them about my dating scan yet.

I don't know whether to contact the early pregnancy unit myself in the morning and see if they can give me an emergency scan or go to my GP? Just that I may not get to see the GP for a few days so I don't know what to be doing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Hiya sorry if this is a bit daft and TMI.

I'm about 9 weeks gone and earlier noticed brown discharge. Quite a lot of it. I'm a bit achey but it feels like ligament pains rather than cramps. I get them when I move too quick. Worried sick I might've had a miscarraige.

I haven't been to my GP yet. I just did the same as I did with my first pregnancy and contacted the hospital myself but I haven't heard back from them about my dating scan yet.

I don't know whether to contact the early pregnancy unit myself in the morning and see if they can give me an emergency scan or go to my GP? Just that I may not get to see the GP for a few days so I don't know what to be doing.

Hey Cheesebiscuits.

Most maternity hospitals have an emergency room. I went straight to the hospital when I had a bleed and they do a scan in the emergency room and will let you know what is going on. The they will send you to the Early Pregnancy Unit for follow up scans. I had a few bleeds at the beginning of my pregnancy and everything was okay but I went to the hospital and got myself checked every
    time I had a bleed. I really think you should go to the emergency room at your local maternity hospital, but if that isn't possible then ring the early pregnancy unit tomorrow morning!

I also had brown discharge/blood on my first bleed and pain. They did a scan on me in the ER and kept me in. Then I was sent to Early Pregnancy unit the next morning.

I am now nearly in my third trimester of pregnancy and everything worked out fine. I wish you the best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd go to the epu/outpatients, you can just turn up, no appointment necessary...if I was you, that's what they're for...very best of luck xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cheesebiscuits

Thanks for the replies.
    I couldn't get through to the EPAU so got an appointment with my GP for tomorrow morning and will see what happens.
    Hopefully everything is ok. Bleeding was just a once off, no more pain so hopefully it was nothing serious.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If you're worried you should just go in to the Emergency Room, that's what they're there for.. don't bother ringing as more often than not they're too busy to answer but they will never turn away a woman in distress..

I went in to the ER when I turned 20 weeks because I was having a panic attack thinking my bump wasn't growing properly.. I felt so silly when I found that everything was normal but they reassured me that they would prefer us to go in and check it out than sit at home and get stressed out about it, that's not good for us or the baby.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

I agree, I had two bleeds early in my pregnancy, the first I waited 2 days for an appointment with gp, twho recommended i go PAY for a scan, was sick with stress for 3 days and a €150 down! the second I went straight to the Coombe er was seen within 30 mins had a scan and exam and everything was grand and the cause found (cervical polyp) the ER room in Coombe is the same as where your appointments are just an examination room in the main area. It's not like in a general hospital where u might be waiting all night to be seen. I

• Advertisement

^^ Exactly..

And don't feel guilty about clogging up the ER, they will prioritize patients in order of urgency anyway.. you are not going to get in the way of a woman in labour being seen..

You may have to wait a couple of hours but it's worth it for the peace of mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cheesebiscuits

Well GP sent me for a scan and all was fine. Found baby and tiny heartbeat. I'm almost 7 weeks now so I was way off with dates. It's really put my mind at ease though.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

That's great news I know how relieved you must feel and how exciting to see the little heartbeat! Best of luck :)

Brilliant :) congratulations

time to start knitting :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

How fantastic is that! Congratulations xx

• Advertisement
Advertisement