Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The NextGen Series 2012/13

• 15-08-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭

nextgencfc.png

This started up again tonight so thought I would get a thread going for this years competition.

The six groups for the NextGen Series 2012-13 are:

Group One: Barcelona, Tottenham Hotspur, Olympiacos, Vfl Wolfsburg.

Group Two: Manchester City, Juventus, Paris Saint-Germain, Fenerbahce.

Group Three: Chelsea, Ajax, CSKA Moscow, Molde FK.

Group Four: Arsenal, Athletico Bilbao, Olympique de Marseille, RSC Anderlecht.

Group Five: Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, Internazionale, Rosenborg BK.

Group Six: Sporting Clube de Portugal, Celtic, Aston Villa, PSV Eindhoven.

Fixture list - http://www.nextgenseries.com/en/FixturesResultsTables

Three games were played in the opening round tonight.

Aston Villa 1 - 3 (FT) Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Barcelona 1 - 1 (FT) Anderlecht
    CSKA 2 - 1 (FT) Molde View

Results - http://www.nextgenseries.com/en/FixturesResultsTables

Opr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Almost every player that played for us last year is still eligible this year so hopefully we do well.

Sherwood also appears to be a very good coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

This really is all kinds of awesome. Glad its taken off after its success last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

When is Liverpool's first game?

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭CongoPowers

I thought Barça deserved to beat Anderlecht despite conceding first. Adama and Samper were amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Melion wrote: »
    When is Liverpool's first game?

Playing Dortmund away 31st of October as far as I can gather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Is any tv station showing these games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Enjoyed this a lot last season and should be even better this year. I think it does the players a world of good playing the best of the best at their age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Lads does anyone know if any TV networks picked this up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Is this not dying a death? Figured when Uefa announced their underage CL tournament it would kill off this.

Is this not dying a death? Figured when Uefa announced their underage CL tournament it would kill off this.

Well with the amount of team participating in and the talent thats on show I thought maybe Eurosport or something would of picked it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Complete opposite, the competition has been majorly expanded this year with most teams involved having signed to 3/4 year deals.
    Caveman1 wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know if any TV networks picked this up ?

I had read talk that this years competition would have TV coverage but I think it may be the latter stages. I haven't seen anything in relation to anyone having picked it up yet.

Generally each match though is covered by the particular teams country in some form. LFCTV showed all the home Liverpool games last season and most of the away matches were covered in some form either by a SAT station in that country or the teams TV station. The Nextgen site itself also streamed a few games last season and has already streamed some of the matches played so far this season.

Opr

Well with the amount of team participating in and the talent thats on show I thought maybe Eurosport or something would of picked it up

Yeah - I can see the call for it to be on TV (eurosport did the final last year, didn't they?).

I simply thought it would lose club interest with the U19 CL announced.

Though I suppose the youth CL doesn't start until next season and they possibly could compete in both (may/may not be logistically possible).

opr wrote: »
    Complete opposite, the competition has been majorly expanded this year with most teams involved having signed to 3/4 year deals.

Fair enough - will be intersting to see how clubs Balance these games with their commitments to the CL shadow tournament next season. Will be a lot to ask of the players.

Fair enough - will be intersting to see how clubs Balance these games with their commitments to the CL shadow tournament next season. Will be a lot to ask of the players.

I don't see it getting off the ground next season. Clubs competing in the CL may not want the cost involved in shipping a youth team all round Europe, logistically it will be a nightmare. Fine for the super clubs but not everyone. The standard of a clubs Academy will have little bearing on whether it is involved in a youth champions league which makes no sense. Clubs have already formed commitments to this competition. Million other reasons.

It's a completely impractical idea and another knee jerk reaction from Uefa in response to the Nextgen taking off.

Opr

I don't see it getting off the ground next season. Clubs competing in the CL may not want the cost involved in shipping a youth team all round Europe, logistically it will be a nightmare. Fine for the super clubs but not everyone. The standard of a clubs Academy will have little bearing on whether it is involved in a youth champions league which makes no sense. Clubs have already formed commitments to this competition. Million other reasons.

It's a completely impractical idea and another knee jerk reaction from Uefa in response to the Nextgen taking off.

Opr

Who does NextGen operate under ? are they involved with FIFA or something?

Who does NextGen operate under ? are they involved with FIFA or something?

No it's the brainchild of Mark Warburton. I don't know much about him but him and another guy went about finding investors and got the whole thing off the ground themselves.

Little bit in this Guardian piece about how it came about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/16/nextgen-series-youth-senior-football

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

Eurosport have announced broadcast rights for next 4 years showing at least 18 games live each year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

arsenal beat Marseille 3-0 last week

Spurs v Barcelona on Eurosport now good game so far

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Barca won 2-0 .
    Looked a decent enough game.

• Advertisement

sheao wrote: »

Barca won 2-0 .
    Looked a decent enough game.
    It was we played well but just lacked an edge yesterday and a few bits of bad marking aside I was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Too many English teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Its interesting you can make 5 subs in this but you can only stop the game 3 times to do so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Inter Milan v Liverpool 2 pm, and it really will be the kids for this game with so many of the reserves in the EL squad for tomorrow.
    With so many of the older Academy players missing, Borrell will turn to the next crop coming through for today’s game at Milan’s Centro Sportivo Facchetti (2pm).

Among those promoted will be highly-rated 15-year-old attacker Jerome Sinclair, who signed for the Reds from West Brom in the summer of 2011.

"Jerome will start," McParland confirmed.

"He’s only 15 and there will be a number of 16-year-olds starting for us as well.

"We’re pitting them against 19-year-olds which isn’t easy but it will be great experience for the younger ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Could be a very tough game for Liverpool for the reasons mentioned above, Inter won the competition last season, not sure how many, if any, are underage again this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Is the Liverpool match on Tv later?

LFCTV are showing delayed coverage at 7pm but not sure on a live stream.

According to Wiziwig a stream is going to be available but guess we'll have to wait and see.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

is there anywhere to find the line ups for the this afternoons match?

Thanks opr I got it :D

• Advertisement

Liverpool Team - Belford, McLaughlin, Smith, Sama, Jones, Baio, Ibe, Roddan, Sinclair, Adorjan, Pelosi

Deserved 2-1 lead for Inter at h/t. Been quite a poor scrappy game for large parts which I wasn't expecting. Pitch doesn't look great and both teams are closing down very quickly. Adorjan got our goal through a penalty. Ibe I thought was our best player and the only times we have really looked dangerous was when he was running at them.

Opr

Deserved 2-1 lead for Inter at h/t. Been quite a poor scrappy game for large parts which I wasn't expecting. Pitch doesn't look great and both teams are closing down very quickly. Adorjan got our goal through a penalty. Ibe I thought was our best player and the only times we have really looked dangerous was when he was running at them.

Opr
    How're McLaughlin and Roddan doing - they'd be the two main guys after Adorjan I'd be looking out for.

Young bench!

Inter%20sub_zps2d44e413.jpg

3-1 to Inter.

Inter ended up 3-2 winners. Much better game in the second half in which we controlled our play much better. Ibe and Adorjan really grew into a great understanding with each other as the half wore on and were our best players. Adorjan also got our second goal with a beautiful free kick into the corner from the edge of the box.

We had plenty of chances in the second half to turn the game but they also did miss chances so the result is fair enough. Thought the lads did excellent considering the amount of 15/16 years olds we had playing due to many of the normal youth guys missing due to the being called up to the Europa squad tomorrow night. Plenty to be positive about in the second half performance. The number 7 for them with the pink boots looks a very good player.

Opr

• Advertisement

Teens wearing pink boots. There really is no hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Inter ended up 3-2 winners. Much better game in the second half in which we controlled our play much better. Ibe and Adorjan really grew into a great understanding with each other as the half wore on and were our best players. Adorjan also got our second goal with a beautiful free kick into the corner from the edge of the box.

We had plenty of chances in the second half to turn the game but they also did miss chances so the result is fair enough. Thought the lads did excellent considering the amount of 15/16 years olds we had playing due to many of the normal youth guys missing due to the being called up to the Europa squad tomorrow night. Plenty to be positive about in the second half performance. The number 7 for them with the pink boots looks a very good player.

Opr

Thanks opr. Do you think, if we had the likes of Morgan, Suso and Wisdom in the side, would it have made the difference? Or did we not have enough ball? How was Jones at CB?

Dickerty wrote: »
    Thanks opr. Do you think, if we had the likes of Morgan, Suso and Wisdom in the side, would it have made the difference? Or did we not have enough ball? How was Jones at CB?

Jones looked very shaky. In fairness to him he has only come up from the u16's this season so today was a massive ask for him. He was completely at fault for the first goal with a back header which he fluffed and someone nicked in behind him to grab a simple goal. Wisdom would have made a massive difference as him and Sama have plenty of experience together and have grown into a great partnership.

Suso would have also made a huge difference. Even Sterling it was expected would still be dropping down to take part in this before taking his chance with the first team. The midfield today wasn't great at all with Baio/Roddan. Both of them gave the ball away a tonne and offered little in the way of creativity. Would have preferred to have seen someone more creative having partnered one of them like Lussey. In fairness when you look at it like this we had in midfield and the heart of defense two partnerships who had never played together before at any level, never mind stepping up to the quality of team today. The front three also have hardly ever played together before today.

Opr

If the EL group stafge is going be a bit of development programme for several in the reserves, then the NextGen is going to do similar for the U18s I think. I'd not expect Suso, Yesil, Morgan, Ngoo, Robinson etc to play much at all even if they are registered.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

mike65 wrote: »
    If the EL group stafge is going be a bit of development programme for several in the reserves, then the NextGen is going to do similar for the U18s I think. I'd not expect Suso, Yesil, Morgan, Ngoo, Robinson etc to play much at all even if they are registered.

Fixtures are all over the place for this comp, so might not clash with the EL that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

mike65 wrote: »

The remaining 3 NextGen games do not clash with the Europa League, so it'll only be genuine first team squad members who miss out. There is no requirement to pick a squad at the beginning of the tournament, so you can make as many changes as you wish.

However the NextGen is for a younger age group than the Reserves/U21 league. You have to be born after 1 Jan 1994 to play - with the exception that you can have 3 over age players.

Suso, Coady, Flanagan, Wisdom, Robinson, Adjoran, Roddan, Sama and Ngoo are all overage, so LFC can only ever play a max of 3 of them.

http://www.nextgenseries.com/en/Terms-and-Conditions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

Villa beat Celtic 2 v 1 last night. I think 5 Irish guys started the game for Villa.

damoth wrote: »
    Villa beat Celtic 2 v 1 last night. I think 5 Irish guys started the game for Villa.

Yeah remember seeing them last season and they had a big Irish presence in the youth team. Last night they had Samir Carruthers, Derrick Williams, Michael Drennan, Daniel Devine and Jack Grealish.

Jack Grealish - The one that seems of most interest from the little I've seen. He has represented Ireland at youth level. England have tried to call him up a few times and so far he seems to favour playing for Ireland. He looks like he could be a very talented player.

List here for anyone interested of all the Irish players currently with premiership clubs. Aston Villa have some numbers.

http://greenscene.me/player-lists/irish-players-in-the-premiership/

Opr

We are delighted to announce a 4 year broadcast deal with ESPN. Games will be shown exclusively in Brazil, USA, Latin America, Caribbean, Oceania + Middle East. ESPN starts its coverage of NextGen with Inter Milan vs. Borussia Dortmund tomorrow, Sept. 26 at 1 PM ET

Just posted on the facebook page.

Opr

NextGen Series - Last 16 dates and fixtures:

AFC Ajax v Aston Villa FC – Tuesday 19th February (7pm) - De Toekomst

Paris St Germain v Tottenham Hotspur – Wednesday 20th February (5pm) – St Germain en Laye

Sporting Lisbon v Liverpool FC – Wednesday 20th February (7pm) - Estadio Jose Alvalade

FC Barcelona v Chelsea FC – Wednesday 20th February (6pm) – Mini Estadi

CSKA Moscow V PSV Eindhoven – Wednesday 27th February (Time TBC) - Akdeniz Stadium (Turkey)

Olympiacos v RSC Anderlecht – Thursday 28th February (7pm) – G Karaiskakis Stadium

Inter Milan v Arsenal FC – Wednesday 6th March (7pm) – Breda Stadium

Juventus v Rosenborg BK - Thursday 7th March (8:30pm) - Alessandria Stadium

Opr

If Lisbon are as strong as last season then that's a difficult game for Liverpool

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Are those just 1 leg matches like last season? I'm assuming so.

5starpool wrote: »
    Are those just 1 leg matches like last season? I'm assuming so.

Yeah same format. Some result for the better placed teams in that they get to play the lower placed teams and at home.

Opr

AFC Ajax v Aston Villa FC – 1-2

Paris St Germain v Tottenham Hotspur – 1-1 (3-4 on penalties aet)

Sporting Lisbon v Liverpool FC – 4-0

FC Barcelona v Chelsea FC – 0-2

So so far Chelsea, spurs, Villa and Sporting are through.

AFC Ajax v Aston Villa FC – 1-2

Paris St Germain v Tottenham Hotspur – 1-1 (3-4 on penalties aet)

Sporting Lisbon v Liverpool FC – 0-4

FC Barcelona v Chelsea FC – 0-2

So so far Chelsea, spurs, Villa and Sporting are through.
    Sporting vs. Liverpool was 4-0 rather than 0-4 just to clarify.

My jaw hit the floor when I saw it because had forgotten about the game and thought we must have pulled off some sort of tactical masterstroke to beat Sporting who're a very good side! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement