Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tips for riding in windy conditions.

• 15-08-2012 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

Seen these tips on a website this evening and I thought it was fitting given the weather we're having at the minute...

Front winds are not a problem. Constant winds are not a problem - if they come from the side you just lean into them. However gusting side winds are a problem. Gusting side winds suddenly push the bike sideways, then just as suddenly stop. They can happen when you cross a river bridge, or pass a large truck. Gusting side winds are very unsettling. Here are my tactics for these conditions:
    • Lower your profile . Crouching lowers your wind profile, and the power of the wind. Lowering your profile means dropping your body to the tank, to reduce a side wind’s tipping leverage.
    • Slow down. I don't know if this is correct, but at slower speeds the bike seems more stable.
    • Knee tank grip. Grip the bike with knees, feet and hands to keep a vertical tension. Gripping the bike means pushing inwards with your knees, feet and hands.
    • Don’t panic. Worse than the wind is if you over-react to it. The main response to gusting winds is stay calm. Go with the flow.
    Riding in the wind can be very tiring, as you are continually working to balance the bike. The wind is one case where it really helps to have a heavier bike. Counter steering works wonders in the wind. If you are trying to muscle the bike around, it will tire you out in no time flat. With just a small amount of pressure on the bar that is into the wind, the bike will hold it's lean, and will not be so draining.

I agree with most of it. I tend to duck down as much as I can. I'm almost sitting on the pillion seat and keeping my head down. Gripping the tank tight with the knees is a good tip for sure. I also tend to steer into the wind as well, but this can catch you off-guard if the wind stops.

So has anyone else any tips??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Take a good position in the road and leave plenty of space between you and kerb and other vehicles in front and watch out for the idiots getting too close from behind.
    As in your tips just take your time keep speed down also dont have a jacket that catches the wind as in go in under cause this could be a drag on you also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Just in case anyone spotted this: It was me on the M50 this evening with a gym bag on me and two squash rackets sticking out. I was not floating all over my lane for the fun of it :D

Sure next time I'll just bring a sail !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Can be worth dropping a gear so the engine is revving higher (keeps the bike stable).
    Also, if you find yourself constantly being blown to one side, stick out the oppostie knee, the extra drag on this side helps keeps you straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its mostly gear that makes the difference. Tight windproof jackets and pants, with no extra luggage on board. I have swapped bikes with people in windy conditions who felt it was my bike that was stopping me weaving around the place. And at the same time, you can see the air surging into their gear turning it into one big sail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Head down & think of the sister!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Yea getting blown across an entire lane is not that fun, in theory though you shouldn't go down as long as you keep the revs up.

Stay loose on the handlebars too, I find this helps a lot. If you grip them tight or put your weight on them it'll make it much worse, keeping a lose grip really sorts it out a lot I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Yea getting blown across an entire lane is not that fun, in theory though you shouldn't go down as long as you keep the revs up.

Stay loose on the handlebars too, I find this helps a lot. If you grip them tight or put your weight on them it'll make it much worse, keeping a lose grip really sorts it out a lot I find.

That, and you'll tire quicker/easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Tip #1 - Don't get blown over :D

Tip #2 - You have a big lane. There is no harm in moving a few feet in either direction. Aim to stay in a middle but a gust can move you a few feet with no harm. Just don't panic and gradually move back into position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38 Maxav

Watch for gaps i.e. gates and roads where you can find sudden gusts and oppositely beware of sudden loss of wind from shade such as buildings and trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Maxav wrote: »
    Watch for gaps i.e. gates and roads where you can find sudden gusts and oppositely beware of sudden loss of wind from shade such as buildings and trees.

+1
    I've a small bike and only weigh 7 stone and these gusts are the worst for me. I was constantly scanning the road ahead in windy weather trying to predict where the next one was going to come from.

And then I got a big f**k-off art book for Christmas - really heavy yoke. Never read it - just stick it in the top box when it's really windy and does a great job adding a bit more weight to the bike. If I leave home without the book I buy 4 litres of milk and stick them in - same difference :)

Completely agree about the knees round the tank and the loose grip on the bars. I like to also have a couple of alternative routes out/back depending on the weather where you might be a bit more protected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Top box is actually the worst place to add weight for stability. It's high up and behind the rear axle. A tank bag, or on the pillion seat, is better. Top boxes can catch a fair bit of wind as well.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its gonna affect everyone differently so many factors, type of bike, weight of rider and of course where you are on the road...i.e on a open motorway will be alot worse then in a town.

Whatever you feel works for you.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Its gonna affect everyone differently so many factors, type of bike, weight of rider and of course where you are on the road...i.e on a open motorway will be alot worse then in a town.

Whatever you feel works for you.....

True enough, a big bike with fairings will catch a cross-wind a lot quicker than a naked bike. After having both types I can safely say a naked bike is better in strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Surely working on a nice big beer belly would be the safest thing for stability?

As the weight will be in the centre of the bike? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Like this guy?

v2llw.jpg

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement