Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Well Done Everybody! (Teachers I Mean)

• 15-08-2012 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭

Ah well, I'm usually a cynical cyril but I suppose given the day that's in it, I said I'd just remind anyone here that they should get maybe just a little bit of kudos too. If the media isn;t going to give us a mention then I suppose we should at least pat ourselves on the back anyhow.

I got 300 A1's BTW, what did you get?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No no, you can only claim credit for the grades below a C3. Anything above that is entirely down to the student - you had no input in that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm delighted that I had only two fails (one new mother, one whose first language isn't English)! It feels like you're in a different job though when you speak to your friend who counts his successes in As.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

No no, you can only claim credit for the grades below a C3. Anything above that is entirely down to the student - you had no input in that. :pac:

The grinds teacher who knows everything despite being a college students may also be thanked...

Seriously though 'my' results were good. Students worked hard for the most part and deserve their success.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

Take no credit, take no blame!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I thought the Maths OL results were very strange when comparing the ability of the students I had this year to previous years. We would usually have a few fails but this year there weren't any. Yet some of the students who I was worried about this year passed easily enough. But in terms of their ability they are as weak or even weaker than other years.

Anyone else agree with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

doc_17 wrote: »
    I thought the Maths OL results were very strange when comparing the ability of the students I had this year to previous years. We would usually have a few fails but this year there weren't any. Yet some of the students who I was worried about this year passed easily enough. But in terms of their ability they are as weak or even weaker than other years.

Anyone else agree with this?

My crowd did really well and I was pleasantly surprised. One of them failed. I had the bottom set Ordinary Level. They did considerably better than in their mocks. This is my first time having a Leaving Cert class so I can't compare to previous years but other teachers in the school seemed to think the grades were generous compared to other years and that students who could have failed previously passed comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

Sounds like grade inflation. When I worked in the UK there had been an outcry over grade inflation so they created a new grade A* (A star). In Ireland we dress it up as being remarkable reforms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Most of us did well, none of my Irish class did unreal but more down to the grinds teacher most of us go to as our own teacher has been pregnant pretty much since we started! She's great like but it's disruptive for us. So I'd say kudos to the grinds teachers too, they actually seem to care a lot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

This is a fantastic story and puts into perspective what success really is:
    Deaf pupil with Down syndrome passes Leaving Cert

GENEVIEVE CARBERY

Thu, Aug 16, 2012

HE MAY not have secured eight A1s, but Leaving Cert student Killian McDonnell, who is profoundly deaf and has Down syndrome, may have made history on opening his results yesterday.

His proud mother, Teresa McDonnell, believes her son is the first student with both disabilities to have passed the Leaving Cert. “According to every inquiry we made . . . this is a first,” she said.

The Dubliner was “delighted with himself” on finding out the results of his Leaving Cert Applied at Ashbourne Community College yesterday, Ms McDonnell said.

“We are blown away. We did not underestimate his ability but didn’t think the system would allow for it. The system’s been challenged,” she said.

The support from the mainstream Co Meath school and the Department of Education was “absolutely incredible”, she said. The school had “such a positive attitude to difference”.

A support worker in the classroom, to sign lessons, were among the aids he received. Mr McDonnell began learning Irish sign language only five years ago. “You cannot access education without a full language,” his mother said.

His classmates also learned sign language and “looked out for him”, she said. A major part of his learning was informal, such as social interaction, camaraderie and “where he fitted into the world”.

Ms McDonnell said her son’s achievements were down to his determination. More study is on the cards as he begins an intensive two-year literacy course. He later wants to study drama and become a performing artist playing Mickey Mouse at Disney. “And he’ll do it,” his mother said.

© 2012 The Irish Times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I loved that story.

When I was doing my Inter., we had a girl with Downs Syndrome in our year. She worked so hard, it put us all to shame. I remember she got a 'red' honour in Irish, ahead of many in her class group.

Well done Killian.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

So I'd say kudos to the grinds teachers too, they actually seem to care a lot!

It's soooo easy to care in a one-to-one,small group, money situation. Absolutely no comparison with a class of thirty pupils.

Advertisement