Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zig and Zag What Era Were You ?

• 15-08-2012 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

I'm just about old enough to remember the Ian Dempsey era

What about you, memories please :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Sums up my childhood

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

My earliest memories include:

Jayce and the wheeled warriors
    Ulysses
    Sharky and George
    Superted
    Dogtanian and the three muskethounds
    Inspector gadget
    Mask

I downloaded some of the above for some nostalgia. Don't do it. They're awful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

twinytwo wrote: »

Sums up my childhood

/thread

Theme tune still rocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was around for the beginning, zuppy, Podge being evil and nobody else but Zig (I think) realising it.

childhood memories, DJ Kat on Sky, then WWF wrestling and cartoons of a saturday morning, back when cereal had toys like bike spoke reflectors, Luck Charms were in plentiful supply, kids just went "out" and parents knew we'd be back by dinner time, not a bother on us.

early teens, The Fresh Prince, Trouble, Saved By The Bell, Sweet Valley High, Earthworm Jim, The Tick, ahhhhh that was the stuff.

Crazy dubbing aside, I still love Dogtanian.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

krudler wrote: »
    I was around for the beginning, zuppy, Podge being evil and nobody else but Zig (I think) realising it.

childhood memories, DJ Kat on Sky, then WWF wrestling and cartoons of a saturday morning, back when cereal had toys like bike spoke reflectors, Luck Charms were in plentiful supply, kids just went "out" and parents knew we'd be back by dinner time, not a bother on us.

early teens, The Fresh Prince, Trouble, Saved By The Bell, Sweet Valley High, Earthworm Jim, The Tick, ahhhhh that was the stuff.

Yeah, that was my era as well. The Rotton Apple Club with Ronan Delite, the talking sofa etc.

Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

twinytwo wrote: »

Sums up my childhood

/thread

That. The Fall Guy, The A-Team, and Quantum Leap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Why does nobody ever mention Biker Mice From Mars? :(

And as well as stuff in cereals, remember when you used to get free stuff from Xtra-Vision if you collected 30 Bottle Caps/Labels from Coke/Sprite/Fanta bottles?

I'm gonna be singing that Ulysee e e e ees theme tune for the next month -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Just about remember the end of Ian Dempsey but it was Ray D'arcy's show that I remember the most. How great was kids tv back then? Evil Podge! :D And it went on for entire seasons, it was almost as convoluted as the X-Files!

They don't make em like that anymore....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I remember the Ted V D'Arcy saga's

Also with Aunt May.. and the Big Telly Quiz or something like that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Another random Den moment that just popped into my head. The 2 lads dressed as football pundits 'Eamonn Grumpy and Johnny Styles' when there was a Wednesday afternoon football match on. Me and my Dad still call Eamon Dunphy - Eamonn Grumpy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

An otherwise perfect post let down by frickin' SWEET VALLEY HIGH!

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Another random Den moment that just popped into my head. The 2 lads dressed as football pundits 'Eamonn Grumpy and Johnny Styles' when there was a Wednesday afternoon football match on. Me and my Dad still call Eamon Dunphy - Eamonn Grumpy.

Yes I remember it too, classic Zig 40 secs in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

My earliest favourites were Rugrats, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, etc. I think Socky and Dustin were already on at that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I have a vague memory of Ian Dempsey presenting The Den on his own for a while, before Zig and Zag came along. And an even more vague memory of Thelma Mansfield introducing children's programmes before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I remember Ian Dempsey on the show. Donno why but the James bond cartoon has just popped into my head, does anyone else remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

blacklilly wrote: »
    I remember Ian Dempsey on the show. Donno why but the James bond cartoon has just popped into my head, does anyone else remember this?

James Bond Jr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Booooooond..................James Bond Junior? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Ah the memories :) as a child i could never understand why zig and zag left, the den was never really the same after

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Ian Dempsey era, but still watched Ray later.

Also watched DJ Kat and lots of TCC. I loved King Rollo, Whatamess, Link Anchorman, Bat Fink, Captain America, Bravestarr, Trapdoor, Dogtanion, The Girl from Tomorrow, Inspector Gadget, MASK, Dynamo Duck, TMNT, Widget, Pugwall and Round the Twist.

On Fridays I would religiously watch Littlest Hobo, Knightmare and Fun House.

My God I was left watch way too much telly!

Agricola wrote: »
    Booooooond..................James Bond Junior? :o

....chases SCUM around the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Fr Jessup

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭jurahnimoh

Didn't ray do a stint wit zig and zag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can remember this on RTE from when I was 4 or 5.

Editing to add: I saw it a few years back. jaysus it's sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

RayM wrote: »
    James Bond Jr?

Captain Planet was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭psicic

I have a vague memory of Ian Dempsey presenting The Den on his own for a while, before Zig and Zag came along. And an even more vague memory of Thelma Mansfield introducing children's programmes before that.

Yup. I remember a similar sort of migration. I think Dempsey was the 'cool kid' who took over from Thelma introducing the cartoons, then they made the split between Live at 3 and Dempsey's Den.

I always remember the way Emmerdale Farm always seemed to be shown right before the start of the kids programmes!

Also watched DJ Kat and lots of TCC.

Yeah, I remember DJ Kat - even at the time it seemed like he was trying too hard - but it was fun!

TCC basically filled my summers in primary school!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

They don't make em like the used to was up in the attic today found my old zig and zag teddys and a pic od my old very crazy jack russell zuppy who i named after the blue puppet dig :pac: and now this thread :pac::pac::pac: awww the memories remember podge he always tried to sabotage something 3pm to 6pm everyday i tuned in my birthday pic was put up twice!!!!

• Advertisement

two words.

Trap Door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Ahhh Dempsey's Den, I loved it and was so sad when Ray Darcy took over but I got over it the real heart ripper was when Zig and Zag turned coats and went to BBC.

Before that
    Wanderly Wagon
    Forty Coats
    Anything Goes
    Saturday Superstore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Jayce and the wheeled warriors
    Ulysses
    Sharky and George
    Superted
    Inspector gadget
    Mask

I downloaded some of the above for some nostalgia. Don't do it. They're awful!

As soon as I saw Sharkey and George, (crime busters of the sea) I have the theme tune in my head!

Others to add are

Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    Captain Planet
    Worzel Gummage
    Lamb chops
    Saved by the bell
    Fresh prince
    Full house

God I feel old...
    Even worse I can hear all the LC's out tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Captain Planet was quiet cool too. Tia and Tamera, Kenan and Kel, 2Phat, School around the corner, Bosco were my favourites. What was the early Saturday morning for kids called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

TCC all the way, used to love this, catchy tune :D

Ohhh and this :) Classic

Deanov wrote: »

God I feel old...

You feel old? I was a teenager when most of those were on.

Just found this on youtube.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Captain Planet- I wanted to be the Russian blondey one who had the power of wind.

Loved this too

and this

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Captain Planet- I wanted to be the Rusiian blondey one who had the power of wind.

Nobody wanted to be that dope with Heart!

LOVED Cities of Gold! Fantastic storyline.

Grayson wrote: »

God I feel old...

You feel old? I was a teenager when most of those were on.

Just found this on youtube.

I will never be able to sleep with all these theme tunes floating around my head!

That post reminded me I used to also watch care bears! And the smurfs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

jurahnimoh wrote: »
    Ah the memories :) as a child i could never understand why zig and zag left, the den was never really the same after
    The arrival of that stupid "Socky" made me realise my childhood days were behind me :(

Oh and this too (I could be here for the night)

• Advertisement

I will never be able to sleep with all these theme tunes floating around my head!

That post reminded me I used to also watch care bears! And the smurfs!

Id like to think I could have been the next Jean Butler but Irish dancing classes clashed with The Smurfs ....there was no competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

James Bond Jr?

Yes! That's it. I was slightly obsessed with it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Oh I remember the days when Sky Sports was just a bunch blurry pixels. That one sticks out a lot.

Cartoons like Jayce, Ulysess, Cities Of Gold, Mask, Sharky & George (they had a brilliant theme tune), there was another as well I forget the name if it but had a very distinct theme tune about people (or creatures maybe) living underneath the sea. Nick Anchorman

Cilla Black Show & Gladiators on Saturday Nights. I think WWF Superstars was on a Friday night & Saturday mornings on Sky 1.

Saved By The Bell, California Dreams & some other stuff.

tdv123 wrote: »
    Oh I remember the days when Sky Sports was just a bunch blurry pixels. That one sticks out a lot.

Cartoons like Jayce, Ulysess, Cities Of Gold, Mask, Sharky & George (they had a brilliant theme tune), there was another as well I forget the name if it but had a very distinct theme tune about people (or creatures maybe) living underneath the sea. Nick Anchorman

Cilla Black Show & Gladiators on Saturday Nights. I think WWF Superstars was on a Friday night & Saturday mornings on Sky 1.

Saved By The Bell, California Dreams & some other stuff.

Ah Cilla Black and Gladiators! Loved sat nights. Sun nights not so much as my parents used to think they were being so generous leaving me stay up later an being kicked to bed after Glenroe! Ah biddy!!

Who else joined The Den Fan Club in the 80's where you waited for what seemed like months for a huge purple envelope to arrive containing a badge with Zig and Zag and some other stuff. You were too cool for school when you got one before anyone else

My brother is a little younger - he loved Dinoriders, Rude Dog and Shoe People. I thought he was so juvenile. :D

I was banned from watching Into the Labyrinth because he had nightmares about it. :rolleyes:

pookiesboo wrote: »

Forgotten all about them till now, I actually wouldn't mind living there TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Advertisement
Advertisement