Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zig and Zag What Era Were You ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

kfallon wrote: »
    Some of us are old enough to remember when it was Ian Dempsey :(

...and can even remember a time before Dempsey's Den even existed. :eek:

pookiesboo wrote: »
    ONCE UPON A TIME...LIFE!!
    You know the lyrics "Thats life, thats life, thats life" they were French Canadian cartoons, this one was set in the human body!
    I actually feel sorry for kids today they dont have the cartoons we had, quality :)

Do you remember Once Upon a Time...Man? It was a few years before ...Life. I'm pretty sure the opening sequence was one of the reasons I learned to play the organ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭fluke

Bouli and his catchy Irish theme tune, my little sister used to watch this and loved the song to it:

'Fear sneachta ban, hata ar a ceann, sin e Buaili imithe sios. Feachaigi anois agus eistaigi, sin e Buaili is a cairde'

I love that Bouli theme, bobbing from side to side now.

That Raccoons show had a class theme tune as well.

Yeah when Ted attacked D'arcy it was class. The idea of someone throwing a crusty teddy bear at a TV presenter is funny alone.

Someone mentioned the Littlest Hobo earlier - I used to love that on a Friday coming in after being at the swimming pool as part of school.

Anyone remember a short lived children's show (they only did one series) where a female scientist goes back in time to medieval Britain, and befriends a boy and has to escape from villains and all that malarkey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Diapason wrote: »
    ...and can even remember a time before Dempsey's Den even existed. :eek:

Shhhhh or they'll move us to the 'Old Fogeys' forum :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Vaguely remember the Ian Dempsey era but I was always a Ray D'arcy fan. I remember the YES/NO game show every Friday. Also the race they used to have between wind-up toys.

There was also a kind of Quiz show call The Works where kids on a green or red team would answer question and move closer to the the goal. There was also a Saturday morning quiz show that involved throughing velco balls/frisbees/basketball on targets presented by Mary Kingston and some young knacker dub called Kev. Great show.

There was also an Australian sci fi drama called "The Girl from tomorrow". She went from the peaceful future to Earth turbulent past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

krudler wrote: »
    I was around for the beginning, zuppy, Podge being evil and nobody else but Zig (I think) realising it.

childhood memories, DJ Kat on Sky, then WWF wrestling and cartoons of a saturday morning, back when cereal had toys like bike spoke reflectors, Luck Charms were in plentiful supply, kids just went "out" and parents knew we'd be back by dinner time, not a bother on us.

early teens, The Fresh Prince, Trouble, Saved By The Bell, Sweet Valley High, Earthworm Jim, The Tick, ahhhhh that was the stuff.

Yep, remember it all well (now I have the Sweet Valley High theme stuck in my head-cheers!!)
    Loved the Den Xmas Eve specials, where Podge would try and ruin Xmas and they'd have to stop him.

Was also a big fan of Live and Kicking of a Saturday morning- as soon as it was over we'd be booted out of the house and told not to come back til dinner time (which we would, and we'd always be manky dirty too...)

PS: anyone else remember "Rooooooooll da diiice!!!" on the Den??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Diapason wrote: »
    Do you remember Once Upon a Time...Man? It was a few years before ...Life. I'm pretty sure the opening sequence was one of the reasons I learned to play the organ.

Yes! The opening credits to those foreign cartoons seemed longer than the cartoons themselves!:)

Vaguely remember the Ian Dempsey era but I was always a Ray D'arcy fan. I remember the YES/NO game show every Friday. Also the race they used to have between wind-up toys.

There was also a kind of Quiz show call The Works where kids on a green or red team would answer question and move closer to the the goal. There was also a Saturday morning quiz show that involved throughing velco balls/frisbees/basketball on targets presented by Mary Kingston and some young knacker dub called Kev. Great show.

There was also an Australian sci fi drama called "The Girl from tomorrow". She went from the peaceful future to Earth turbulent past.

Was more Dempsey fan myself! Loved the girl from tomorrow, she had purple hair and stepped through this thing and her hair dye was gone!

"Are yez laughing?" Audience "I'm laughing!"

• Advertisement

"Are yez laughing?" Audience "I'm laughing!"

What was that show called? Was Kevo on that Saturday morning show as well - as in the variety show that featured the Fanta Roadshow.

Hey speaking of Saturdays...has anyone mentioned Pajo's Magic Jukebox? didn't the nun outta Father Ted present it?

fluke wrote: »
    What was that show called? Was Kevo on that Saturday morning show as well.

Oh wait I think that was Mary Kingstons catchphrase. There was Scratch Saturday and The Works

This isn't really the thread for this, but since we're here...

There was a programme I used to watch early on Saturday or Sunday mornings. At least some part of it involved kids learning with some kind of robot, and they could choose big plastic micro-fiche style cards, insert them into said robot, and learn all about whatever subject via the TV screen that my memory says was the robot's head or torso.

I've googled the sh*t out of it over the years but never figured out what it was, and it's driving me mad. This would have been mid-80s I'd say. Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Also, I recently rewatched all of Chocky on youtube. It's still brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I won loads of stuff on The Children's Channel as it was back then :)

I think they'd like 4 viewers! It was great. Your odds of getting a prize were excellent.

Nostalgia ! Those graphics even looked dated in the 80s :D

I vaguely remember this threatening announcement too :D

Ah the olden days of classic customer service when cable companies used to interrupt viewing to threaten customers with disconnection in cut-glass Irish version special extra-officious received pronunciation :D

Oh wait I think that was Mary Kingstons catchphrase. There was Scratch Saturday and The Works

I didn't think it was Mary Kingston that presented that with him...was it??

What was that show called? Was Kevo on that Saturday morning show as well - as in the variety show that featured the Fanta Roadshow.

Found this thread on Kevo, some of the comments are hilarious

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742922

I remember watching Sky and SuperChannel in the 1980s/even early 90s when the introduced the <10 year olds of Ireland to classic 1960s American TV as they were buying cheap reruns.

This one sums up US-TV history quite nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Found this thread on Kevo, some of the comments are hilarious

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055742922

I thought he'd be in a sleeping bag in some doorway with a sign say "Are ye'z laughing' now" but no, he's now an assistant producer in the sports department. Fair Play

I didn't think it was Mary Kingston that presented that with him...was it??

Physiquiz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Surprised non of these were mentioned yet,

Rainbow

Dungeons and dragons

He-man

And two of my favourite shows from the 80's, apart from Mcgyver which was already mentioned,

Yes..I was allowed to stay up to watch this, afaik it used to be on after Sledgehammer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

i did loved this programme fire water earth heart lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Icant belaieve were talking about the defectors of irish telly :pac:

Bouli and his catchy Irish theme tune, my little sister used to watch this and loved the song to it:

'Fear sneachta ban, hata ar a ceann, sin e Buaili imithe sios. Feachaigi anois agus eistaigi, sin e Buaili is a cairde'

forgort about this show see this why i love threads like this ill show my kids:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Ah this thread is bringing back so many memories, Dempsey's Den, DJ Kat, The Lost Cities of Gold, Inspector Gadget, She-Ra, Gem, Duckula, Trapdoor, Beverly Hills Teens, Mr Benn, Fun House and You Can't say That on Television, used to love them all.

http://youtu.be/gu0o6u1VmGE (BUTTON MOON)
    http://youtu.be/U_kJudhMLqo (RAGGY DOLLS)
    http://youtu.be/iDs8VMz-cuc (TRAP DOOR)
    dont know if any1 mentioned thes yet i loved these ah the memories :D:D
    (ESPECIALLY TRAP DOOR FEEEDD MEEE) LOL:P:P

Remember when 2FM used to be on Network 2 for hours on the weekend mornings?

What was it called again? The beatbox?

It was simulcast on 2FM and Network 2 --- allegedly you could get better sound if you put on your FM radio and watch on your telly.

Solair wrote: »
    It was simulcast on 2FM and Network 2 --- allegedly you could get better sound if you put on your FM radio and watch on your telly.

Has digital ruined this forever?

http://youtu.be/Ex7gMOMPnww

SUPPPPPPPPERRRRRRRR TEEEEDDDDDD

• Advertisement

and for people of a slightly older generation than me i.e. who grew up in the 1960s and 70s here's how RTE mostly looked back then

Hours of entertaining elevator music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

and for people of a slightly older generation than me i.e. who grew up in the 1960s and 70s here's how RTE mostly looked back then

Youtube clip above.

Hours of entertaining elevator music.

I remember Wanderly Wagon in black and white.
    Gawd, I feel old. :o

I ended up watching all these weird 1960s US shows on Sky in the early 90s as a kid. It was like growing up on ABC, CBS and NBC in 30 years earlier :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Remember when 2FM used to be on Network 2 for hours on the weekend mornings?

What was it called again? The beatbox?

Are you talking about 2tv that used to be on sunday mornings? They used to play music videos back to back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Sabrina the teenage witch, loved that show. I used to watch sweet valley high in the mornings before I went to school. I watched a lot of the shows already mentioned but I don't think sabrina was mentioned yet.

Are you talking about 2tv that used to be on sunday mornings? They used to play music videos back to back.

Yeah, I think it started out as "the Beatbox" though.. then 2TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

Completely forgot about these, loved Rude Dog too

And Pugwall

Yeah, I think it started out as "the Beatbox" though.. then 2TV.

Ah 2TV - Dave Fanning with his big bowl of croissants, and the lovely Bianca Luykx

Echo Island this was more '90's

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Sabrina the teenage witch, loved that show. I used to watch sweet valley high in the mornings before I went to school. I watched a lot of the shows already mentioned but I don't think sabrina was mentioned yet.

They still show repeats on RTE 2!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

They still show repeats on RTE 2!

Oh I know, sometimes I still watch them but I was too embarrassed to admit it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

By the time Zig and Zag were essential viewing, we were teens and dying to get home after school to catch it on the telly. Whenever the lads cracked up during the show it was brilliant.

Programmes from when I was a young kid were Marine Boy, Speed Buggy, Goober and the Ghost Chasers, The Flashing Blade, Children of the Stones, Pipkin, Ragtime, Banana Splits, Wombles, Valley of the Dinosaurs and Star Trek (the animated series) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Zig and Zag were comic genius before the boarded the plane for UK. Even my mum would be sitting on the couch crying laughing at them.

I watched Ian Dempsey and Ray, I remember Storytime vaguely when zig would be a spectacle wearing intellectual. Didn't they have some alter-egos too - zag was a superhero and zig was Cousin Nigel. They'd do the birthday photo role and everyone from age 15-90 : you should be studying! Guests on the show always looked befuddled as to what was going on, as did Ian most of the time.

Ah memories.

I wasn't mad about Socky and then when Dustin came along I gave up altogether.

Podge & Rodge still crack me up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Katgurl wrote: »
    Zig and Zag were comic genius before the boarded the plane for UK. Even my mum would be sitting on the couch crying laughing at them.

I watched Ian Dempsey and Ray, I remember Storytime vaguely when zig would be a spectacle wearing intellectual. Didn't they have some alter-egos too - zag was a superhero and zig was Cousin Nigel. They'd do the birthday photo role and everyone from age 15-90 : you should be studying! Guests on the show always looked befuddled as to what was going on, as did Ian most of the time.

Ah memories.

I wasn't mad about Socky and then when Dustin came along I gave up altogether.

Podge & Rodge still crack me up.

:eek:
    Dustin was the best of the lot!!! Going on about Ray's mother shaving her beard off and Mary Robinson having smelly feet. The Poultry Party in the General Elections :D

"I'm a builder"
    "The Briggan, The Brack, The Fermot and The Noggin"

Runaway Bay with a young Naomi Harris

spankysue wrote: »
    Completely forgot about these, loved Rude Dog too

And Pugwall

USED TO FANCY PUGWALL LMAO:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

http://youtu.be/iB3K7eFFXHE