Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beats headphones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

krudler wrote: »
    they're sh1te headphones too, get a decent pair of Sennheisers for around the same money.

nah im not mad about sennheisers never cover the ear properly if you want value for money Stanton DJ Pro 2000S are the muts nuts for price and sound quality ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ella Bella wrote: »
    What's wrong with the ones that come with your phone/mp3? I don't get this earphone lark. They all do the same thing.

no they don't! :mad: :P a decent set of headphones is well worth investing the money in, my Sennheisers cost 140 and they were on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

I got them a couple of years ago, and now everyone has them....time to get some streets by 50 cent before they go mainstream :)
    http://smsaudiouk.myshopify.com/products/street-wired-headphone-over-ear-blue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd say half the people out there with them have fake knock offs that are a third or more of the cost of the real ones!

I personally have a cracking pair of JVC ones my mate ( who's a DJ) recommended to be, on sale in HMV for around €40 quid and they're quality, tried the Beats they have in Arnotts and I find them fairly crappy for the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Snowie wrote: »
    nah im not mad about sennheisers never cover the ear properly if you want value for money Stanton DJ Pro 2000S are the muts nuts for price and sound quality ...
    What size are your ears?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

What's wrong with the ones that come with your phone/mp3? I don't get this earphone lark. They all do the same thing.

I can never understand when people fork out €80+ on a mp3 player/ipod and then use headphones that cost €15. It is supposed to be the other way around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

What size are your ears?

like dumbos mate :(

They're more fashion than anything else.

There is nothing fashionable about them but, they scream out punch me in the face at the speed of light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DavidMolloy

Don't know if its been said yet but MP3 music is only of very limited quality that spending loads on headphones to "enhance" the limited quality seems abit stupid but then again fairplay to anyone who can cash in on the sheep like mentality of people who buy what they're told to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Real Life wrote: »
    They are very good headphones, the best ive come across but i wouldnt pay that much for them. If i was involved in the music business and they were that important to me then i probably would but the average person doesnt need them.

a sound engineer would fcuking laugh at a pair of beats, they're all bass and no clarity. thse are what you really want http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ultrasone-EDITION-10-Headphones/dp/B004ED7GQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345072029&sr=1-1

well what you really want if you have nearly 2 grand to drop on a set of headphones, I'm nowhere near an audiophile, those guys are bananas when it comes to the money spent on equipment but I like my headphones for what I need them to do. when I'm rich though..

I spent the money on mine as I mostly watch tv in bed at night so movies and gameplaying is all done through them as well, playing something like Call of Duty and hearing bullets fly past your head or watching a movie with a great 5.1 soundtrack and they sound the tits , fook knows what the high end stuff on a proper amp sounds like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have beats, I got them as a present for my birthday. No way would I pay that kind of money myself for headphones.

I like them but I feel like a bit of a dope walking around with such big headphones on my head so I only use them at home or on long car journeys. If I'm walking around town etc I use a pair of €4.95 headphones I got in Easons ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Double post :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One of those rare threads where there is as much mortifying **** on either sid e of the argument as the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

My sentiments exactly in the OP. I have a tasty pair of Bose on-ear headphones which I use at home, very comfortable. For on the move I have the delicious and inconspicuous, if expensive, Shure SE 535s:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/shure-se535-review-49306182/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I use to scratch my head at how people could afford to buy them but then I started thinking, well at least it's money back into the economy. If places are selling them, it's profit and money to pay wages.

Personally I wear headphones I bought for 12.99 in HMV. I think the sound is ok. To be honest other than bass I don't notice much difference listening to MP3's on any device...like someone else said, I thought due to compression those audio files are of a lesser quality anyway, so the headphones don't matter so much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I have audio technics noise reduction over ears and they are unbelievably good, just turn on the noise reduction and the background noise vanishes, its witchcraft.

I recently bought this for 40 euro at amazon I wasn't expecting it to work so well, but now my headphones are bluetooth as well.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417-MYQ3HNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Inscrutable

Wompa1 wrote: »
    I use to scratch my head at how people could afford to buy them but then I started thinking, well at least it's money back into the economy. If places are selling them, it's profit and money to pay wages.

Personally I wear headphones I bought for 12.99 in HMV. I think the sound is ok. To be honest other than bass I don't notice much difference listening to MP3's on any device...like someone else said, I thought due to compression those audio files are of a lesser quality anyway, so the headphones don't matter so much?

With good headphones, you get the most out of them at 320 kbps. You can go to lossless if you really want, but 320 kbps is good enough. Most music is at 128 kbps, so you have to search for higher bitrates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I've got sennheiser HD558 headphones and they're amazing. It has a pretty large soundscape, the sound is super clear and they're amazingly comfy. I usually have them on for hours on end while watching stuff on my PC or playing games and I hardly notice them whereas some other headphones i've owned start hurting my ears after about 30mins of having them on. Had a pair of sennheiser HD205 before when one of its speaker stopped working and those used to hurt after extended use too. The HD558 are on a different level, the sound quality is much better and they are infinitely more comfortable too. You can really hear every tiny little detail when watching a blu ray or playing a game. They're the best headphones I've ever owned and are not stupidly expensive either.

On a different note I did notice a lot of them Olympic swimmer guys wearing beats headphones when they came into the arena for the races during the Olympics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I have these http://versatech.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/4148_7_philips_shn9500.jpg

€80 at the time, and Im willing to bet they're nearly better than beats. At least they dont look as ridiculous as beats. Also beats arent even over-the-ear are they?

one of these days Ill buy myself a pair of AKG 701's :pac:

I have these http://versatech.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/4148_7_philips_shn9500.jpg

€80 at the time, and Im willing to bet they're nearly better than beats. At least they dont look as ridiculous as beats. Also beats arent even over-the-ear are they?

one of these days Ill buy myself a pair of AKG 701's :pac:

Philip you annoy me as much as the beats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Never heard of them until now. Hilarious thing to get bothered by though.

Philip you annoy me as much as the beats.

At least I can appreciate sound quality. Not enough to spend huge money on them, but enough that I dont buy a pair of headphones as a fashion statement to listen to my 96kb tracks downloaded off limewire on my ipod :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

We're judging people based on the brand of headphones they wear now?

In that case I want beats by John Stewart to come out soon.

Don't get the Beats by Ike Turner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Spends €300+ on Beats headphones.

Listens to music at 128kbps :pac:

I get people coming into my shop asking if I sell Beats, when I point them to the Sennheisers they act like it's a bargain basement rip-off brand. It's their money, I guess, so let them be.

One guy who had asked me also wanted to buy 16GB of RAM off me, when I asked him what he wanted that amount for he just shrugged his shoulders and said it's for no other reason than have more RAM than everybody else.

I imagine that's why he wanted Beats headphones.

The pleb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I got a set of Sony MDR-NC7 noise cancelling headphones 4 years ago for 40 dollars in America. You wouldn't want anything more.With the noise cancelling on and the volume up a bit it's like I'm immune to sound in the outside world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dr.Dre!

anhedonia wrote: »
    fcuk Doctor Dre too.

I'll break your neck, damn near put your face in your lap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Dr.Dre! wrote: »

Was it worth all the haste just in hopes of getting a few thanks? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

1ZRed wrote: »
    Was it worth all the haste just in hopes of getting a few thanks? :p

That's Dr. Dre.

Everyone act casual.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clodarose

sounds to me like you people are just really jealous cause ye aint got a pair..:/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Got a pair myself on the cheap (real), wouldn't have been interested at all only for the price.

Being honest, contrary to what a few seem to be saying here, I think the quality and the sound of them is brilliant, I've only ever used in ear Sennheisers before so it may just be the transition to headphones that I'm actually noticing? Really do wish they didn't have Dr. Dre written all over them though haha, I am yet to wear them in public and doubt I will, except maybe while travelling abroad or whatever....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

clodarose wrote: »
    sounds to me like you people are just really jealous cause ye aint got a pair..:/

Get back under your bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

clodarose wrote: »

3694kd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All ear muff headphones make you look like a tool anyway, Beats or otherwise.

Dr.Dre! wrote: »

Xavi6 wrote: »
    All ear muff headphones make you look like a tool anyway, Beats or otherwise.

Do you mean over the ear or on the ear? Because over the ear > on the ear, in my opinion. I guess its just personal preferance at the end of the day. Over the ear feels far more comfortable and sounds better to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dr.Dre!

[YOUTUBE/]Tupac Disses Dr.Dre[/YOUTUBE]

Tupac was young at that time, fresh out of jail too and his mind was constantly being manipulated by Suge.

I only have love for Pac and am considering using a hologram of him performing on my upcoming tour to show that.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Snowie wrote: »
    muts nuts.

Never heard that before! Well amusing! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If I'm paying that much for something.....anything.... they better be damned good and beats are sub par.

I'll stick with my Sennheisers 598's thx. You can keep your derpy beats headphones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

I have a set of the in ear dre ones.tbh, the headfones i got in aldi a few weeks ago have a way better sound quality to them.luckily i got them as a way of having a favour returned.to anyone whos thinking of buying, DON'T.spend your money on something thats decent and not endorsed by 'the best in the buisness'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

http://www.klipsch.com/image-s4-black-in-ear-headphones

These are cheap as chips and sound pretty damn good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Beats headphones are amazing headphones with brilliant sound quality especially for rap/RnB. They might be overpriced but still quality headphones, might give them synt ones a try as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

poisonated wrote: »
    Luckily this isn't Ranting and raving so I can go against the rant. I think they are very good head phones. Are they over priced? a little but not by as much as people are making out here. They are very comfortable and provide top class sound. I have tried another pair which cost the same amount and they were no where near as good.
    Koss Portapros are 30 euro and have sound on par (and most definitely better) with Beats. I understand that it's harder to shop around for headphones but people really need to at least look up what they're actually buying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

I bet some people never actually used them and are just dissing them because of the price or the fact that there endorsed by Dre. Some people might have buying cheap fakes off ebay either. There BRILLEANT headphones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

areyawell wrote: »
    I bet some people never actually used them and are just dissing them because of the price or the fact that there endorsed by Dre. Some people might have buying cheap fakes off ebay either. There BRILLEANT headphones!

No no. You are wrong. Obviously it is better to experience something for yourself but simple statistics give you an idea of performance. For example, I've never driven a Veyron but I know it's faster than my Fiat because I can look up it's performance stats.

The same can be done with the Beats headphones.

Dr Dre Beats
    Frequency Response = 20 - 20000 Hz
    Impedance = 8 ohms

Sennheiser 598
    Frequency Response(Hz) = 12 - 38,500 Hz
    Impedance = 50 ohms

If you want to get technical bout it, they are all over the place in the mid-range and the bass is way too overproduced. You can see this in the following graph by mr. squiggly line :p
    freq.jpg

Proof is in the pudding. Sennhesier's are much better. And the beats are about 100 quid more expensive. While decent, they are quite simply massively overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Beats are awful,

I have a pair of 50 Euro Sennheisers that blow it out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A 12yr old with €350 earphones? Is he getting a car for his 13th?
    and high frequency deafness for his 15th?
    Duggy747 wrote: »
    Spends €300+ on Beats headphones.

Listens to music at 128kbps :pac:
    This in a big way. Better headphones just means you hear the nasty digital clipping better. Come back tape hiss, all is forgiven. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My in ear Seinnhauser's are far better than Beats, for over the ear I have a pair of Grado Labs, they're fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I bought Beats by Dre headphones (Studio) because I think the white goes well with anything I wear. Dont like the other colours though.

Thats why I bought them. Happy with them too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

dave3004 wrote: »
    I bought Beats by Dre headphones (Studio) because I think the white goes well with anything I wear. Dont like the other colours though.

Thats why I bought them. Happy with them too.

I really hope that's a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They are probably good headphones for **** music.
    Probably **** for good music.

• Advertisement
Advertisement