Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beats headphones

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

RATM wrote: »
    My guess is that Beats cost less than $50 to produce giving them a much higher magin. It is just insane to think that ANY headphone is worth €350.

beats are made by monster, and anyone who knows about cables will tell you that monster cornered the "make for pennies, sell for hundreds" approach ages ago. they have hdmi cables costing over a ton ffs

to make things worse, idiots buy them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Just go and look at what software engineers, engineers and physicists who do heavy simulation and programming use not to me mention anyone involved in music or film, most won't even touch anything other than macs.

I think you'll find they're mostly using Linux and FreeBSD but in the end on intel hardware platforms the exact same one's that power every other pc as well as MAC's. A lot of large banks use windows 3.1 but what does that prove?

I'm asking you why the hardware or OS is better not why some person somewhere in some university does. you know. YOUR opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Helix wrote: »
    beats are made by monster, and anyone who knows about cables will tell you that monster cornered the "make for pennies, sell for hundreds" approach ages ago. they have hdmi cables costing over a ton ffs

to make things worse, idiots buy them

walk into harvey norman or somewhere and see how expensive monster "gold plated" hdmi cables are, any hdmi will do the same job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Jeez guys, you're all so uncool with your Beats and Sennheisers. What you want is a set of these: lol.jpg. :D

(Jecklin Floats, image from www.head-fi.org)

Speaking of Monster, I think they're total scum. A couple of years ago, there was a Monster display in DID. Two TVs connected to one player. One with a Monster cable, showing great picture quality. One with a non-Monster cable, showing crap picture quality. I had a peek behind, and the Monster cable was HDMI, and the non-Monster cable was composite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Steodonn wrote: »
    Wonders how many people in this thread buy designer clothes

I'm a Penny's man, the ultimate in designer gear :cool:
    Just go and look at what software engineers, engineers and physicists who do heavy simulation and programming use not to me mention anyone involved in music or film, most won't even touch anything other than macs.

Big statement to make there.

I've worked with and on business environments for years and the main platforms they use are Windows and Linux. Windows primarily for workstations + laptops and then Linux and Windows for servers (Huge amount still use Server 2003 because it does the job)

Pretty much every software developer and engineer I know use the Windows and Linux platform and would never swear on a Mac at all for their workload.
    Android phones are as big as tv's and terrible to use incomparison to iPhones, I used an android for one week while between iPhones and I nearly flushed the piece of crap down the toilet. Buggy oversized toys is all they are, they look crap and going by what I see with my friends if you drop one it breaks. My last iPhone got unreal abuse and never skipped a beat.

I fix both Android and iPhones and hands down the iPhones give more grief than the others. The headphone jack is one of the most common problems breaking on a whim as well the software frequently glitching out from a bad update or a component malfunctioning rendering the whole thing a paperweight.

iPhones are good at what they do, but it doesn't sit on top of the pile of best phones out there at all in it's price range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Don't look at peoples ears. Problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

dave3004 wrote: »
    Because I "bought into" the marketing of Beats By Dr Dre makes me so laughable?

Yes. Actually it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Bose QC 15 for flying, standard iPhone ones otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Android phones are as big as TVs" ... because that's what people want? The Samsung Galaxy Note is selling well enough. I saw one on the LUAS the other day, and I would happily put up with the size for that gorgeous screen. Now, if only I could wipe that stupid Android rubbish off, and bung on a real Linux that doesn't treat me like I'm an idiot who can't be trusted to manage his own computer.

In general, though, I think this argument isn't so much about those Beats headphones as it is about "conspicuous consumption". Just as with Fendi handbags and Rolex watches, it's only a matter of time before fake Beats hit the market. Just the thing for someone who merely aspires to look like they have more money than sense.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bnt wrote: »
    Just as with Fendi handbags and Rolex watches, it's only a matter of time before fake Beats hit the market. Just the thing for someone who merely aspires to look like they have more money than sense.

They already have. I'd say around 80% of people under the age of 25 you see with beats are using the fake ones. I was given a pair of solos as a gift and compared them to a real pair, there's no difference. Apart from the 150 euro in price. The in ear ones were selling for 12 euro on chinese websites and were decent.

If you're looking for decent, comfortable closed back headphones, AKG k271. You won't get better for 150 quid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

stetyrrell wrote: »
    They already have. I'd say around 80% of people under the age of 25 you see with beats are using the fake ones.
    Yeesh. Some days I wish I could be proven too cyncial, but today's not going to be that day, is it? :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I saw a mofo with beats today:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I saw a mofo with beats today:mad:

Did you punch him in the face?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

bnt wrote: »

In general, though, I think this argument isn't so much about those Beats headphones as it is about "conspicuous consumption". Just as with Fendi handbags and Rolex watches, it's only a matter of time before fake Beats hit the market. Just the thing for someone who merely aspires to look like they have more money than sense.

I was buying them off a website for 8 euro each last year and selling them for 20, I told everyone who was interested they were fake but they didn't mind. All people want is the image. They sounded fine and I sold the 20 I bought in like 2 weeks but since then they've been harder to find at a cheap price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Fart wrote: »
    Did you punch him in the face?
    the side of the head, in the temple region, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Highly recommend the Shure 535's if you are a fan of IEM's.

Sound quality is awesome, bit pricey at over 350 but the quality shows. Cables are bullet proof and detach from the pods. You can even purchase the IEM's separately.

Advertisement