Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

david guetta fake

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭

folks there is a lot of talk at the moment about david guetta faking a set in belguim, why would he do this if it is actually true?
    the likes of david guetta and calvin harris are massive at the moment, but can anyone tell me what it is exactly they do and how they do it?
    interesting stuff....:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

What is faking ? If not faking is playing CDs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

folks there is a lot of talk at the moment about david guetta faking a set in belguim, why would he do this if it is actually true?

Why he did it........And why every other big dance act are doing it, is very simply to synch the lights and pyros up with the music.

It's been the way it's been done for years.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    What is faking ? If not faking is playing CDs?

Well the idea is the DJ mixes one track into another.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 268 ✭✭overthenest

krd wrote: »
    Well the idea is the DJ mixes one track into another.

so what happens he mixes it all before hand???? sure i could get a cd and go to a niteclub and pretend im doing that???? doesnt make sense???
    still having said that, i could stand in the background in boyzone and pretend to sing...... you would have to respect the likes of noel gallagher who turned down a request to play at the closing ceremony at the olympics as he was asked to mime....

so what happens he mixes it all before hand???? sure i could get a cd and go to a niteclub and pretend im doing that????

I will say. That some DJs do actually do something special in a club. But in a lot of nite klubs...you've been in. The DJ, is not mixing up the hits live. It's a pre-recorded set.

Big shows - like Guetta or Swedish House Mafia. They don't just decide to slam a different track from the play list on just for mood. The lights and pyro guys wouldn't know what's happening.
    still having said that, i could stand in the background in boyzone and pretend to sing...... you would have to respect the likes of noel gallagher who turned down a request to play at the closing ceremony at the olympics as he was asked to mime....

Noel has something called cred. Credibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I took down David Guetta's stage the morning after his gig in Oxegen a few years back. On his desk was a piece of paper where he had his notes
    OXYGEN
    DUBLIN
    1 HOUR

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Voice of the Ages

Didn't Deadmau5 even say that some of his sets are fake, in the sense that he does little more than hit play.

Then again, he did say recently that he's depressed, so maybe he's just being self-deprecating.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Not really a fan of his music, however I am sure he actually produces alot of it, as opposed to night club djs who just mix other records.
    Most djs now use laptops, those who produce their own music use laptops to do it. I would presume very few producers and djs doing large gigs do anything spontaneously.

Noel Gallagher and David Guetta are completely different acts. The acts mentioned also produce the music. That means they make the music digitally. If they were just playing someone elses CDs the whole set then I suppose that is pretty naff, but in Swedish House Mafia and David Guetta they dont just play cds. They write alot of them aswell.

I suspect the producion part of the music would be slightly more challenging to replicate, as opposed to the standing there playing cds thinking 'I'M a DJ' .......

Didn't Deadmau5 even say that some of his sets are fake, in the sense that he does little more than hit play.

Before he was really big - I think his minimum fee is now something like 500,000. He would take hardware out to gigs.

DeaudMau5 would take real hardware to gigs - no some loloping f' with a laptop and an oversized adams apple, claiming to do "live" music.

He had a real hardware set up, and would do all his stuff in real time.

Real hardware is unpredictable - and he might just make a choice to let something run to 32 bars that should have been 16. Over even let something run 64 bars before hitting the button.

Doing that stuff in a club is fine - because people are dancing and not watching a show.

When you get to arenas - it's a show. And dance music as a show works really well when there are synchronised lights and pyro. Mau5 only has two hands.

Then again, he did say recently that he's depressed, so maybe he's just being self-deprecating.

Happy people, don't make good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

• Advertisement

dharma200 wrote: »
    looks like loadsa djs are faking it in more ways than one these days

You get to a certain level......first it's the sets to match with the lighting and pyro..

The you just send robots on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I was working with Basement Jaxx recently and was surprised at the amount of effort and time went into DJ sets presentation.

One of the things they do is map out different 'flavours' of the set - so they'll have a more laid back 'route' plan and something heavier or jazzier or whatever - so they can react to the crowds reaction. They also use DJ gigs for trying out their own new recorded material.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I was working with Basement Jaxx recently and was surprised at the amount of effort and time went into DJ sets presentation.

You thought DJs just randomly popped out records and played them.

A huge amount of effort can go into making sets. But it depends on the DJ. The typical DJ you'll see in most nite klubs, is just playing whatever is in the charts - Katy Perry, maybe some Usher.

What actual DJ does (this is proverbial DJ who does more than just play records) is carefully select a set list (or they may have selected a bunch or records that they'll make their sets on the fly - but still carefully selected) - and crucially they understand the music. They know when to mix music in and when not to. There is a musical dynamic to the tracks - when the right records are played together, there's a real musical flow to it. They bring things up and down and keep it flowing for hours sometimes.

Really bad DJs, which there are lots of, are really oppressive. They have no idea about the music, they keep mixing in the wrong records at the wrong times. The worst are the ones who keep it banging all the time. They just play the loudest most energetic parts of the records and then mix in another loud and energetic record - the beats may be matched but the bars are not. So, they just have one pounding headache going. And it's really horrible if you're familiar with the music and feel a certain part coming, and bang! yer man is fading in a new record three bars before the crescendo - so it blows your high.

Bad DJ's are the equivalent of the guy who turns up at a party with and acoustic guitar and insists on playing his own woefully badly written songs (maybe even on an out of tune guitar) and clears the room. The bad DJ has the advantage of a loud PA and a captive audience.
    One of the things they do is map out different 'flavours' of the set - so they'll have a more laid back 'route' plan and something heavier or jazzier or whatever - so they can react to the crowds reaction. They also use DJ gigs for trying out their own new recorded material.

Basement Jaxx would have a very clever well made out set.

Yeah, it would depend on the crowd and the venue. A small venue will be a completely different crowd to a large festival.

The thing about the big shows, is to do a big show you need the lights and pyro. And they better be good, or the crowd will turn round and stab each other.

Sync'd lights look really good. It's if they're not sync'd it goes against the music. In a small club, sync'd lights are not important.

The whole David Guetta "scandal" is a bit of a laugh. Now Guetta will probably apologise at Marlay park and work some fakery in to "prove" he's not "faking" it.

The other thing about pyros is that they are very dangerous. Nothing can be left to chance. People have been killed and seriously injured by them. There's no way in hell you could let a flaky DJ trigger them.

Michael Jacksons doctor - when he was living in Ireland - gave a radio interview. He said the wounds from the pepsi pyro accident were very severe. And Jackson was in severe chronic pain because of the injuries. He was bald because he was missing a large part of his scalp.

You know the way you have people who love to press buttons even though they've been expressly told not to. If there are going to be syn'd pryos the only people who should be allowed play David Guettas set are the pryo guys.

There was that time the Who played on a TV show in the 70s. There was pyro in the drum for the finale of the song. Each member sneaked over to the drum and added extra powder - not knowing each other had done it. It's funny to watch because the bang was a lot bigger than any of them thought it would be.

how does he get away with it???? no wonder he is depressed, if i had to turn up hit play and wave my arms about and hod my head for an hour or two it would get pretty depressing, although the millions he makes would make up for it...

dharma200 wrote: »
    Not really a fan of his music, however I am sure he actually produces alot of it, as opposed to night club djs who just mix other records.
    Most djs now use laptops, those who produce their own music use laptops to do it. I would presume very few producers and djs doing large gigs do anything spontaneously.

Noel Gallagher and David Guetta are completely different acts. The acts mentioned also produce the music. That means they make the music digitally. If they were just playing someone elses CDs the whole set then I suppose that is pretty naff, but in Swedish House Mafia and David Guetta they dont just play cds. They write alot of them aswell.

I suspect the producion part of the music would be slightly more challenging to replicate, as opposed to the standing there playing cds thinking 'I'M a DJ' .......

define production??? and what do they write? i.e. calvin harris does he write the lyrics for his tunes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

so what happens he mixes it all before hand???? sure i could get a cd and go to a niteclub and pretend im doing that???? doesnt make sense???

There's a difference between DJing in a nightclub and playing on a stage to thousands. In a nightclub you'll generally have a small crowd of a couple of hundred and little in the way of lights / pyrotechnics. Generally DJs will mix live here, on stage though the light / pyro crews must know what to do when, as a result mixes are prerecorded. You could go to a nightclub and pretend but it probably wouldn't workout for these reasons

1) You must learn how to produce music.
    2) You must first all of produce enough successful tunes to even play a venue big enough where a prerecorded mix is required
    3) You'll need to learn how to mix a good set.

If you think DJ'ing is bad. You should see what's happened to opera.

Before it was a given that opera companies would tour with an orchestra and live singing. For years now companies have had the brass neck to tour shows where the entire thing is mimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

As regards Deadmau5, I don't believe he is making no effort with his sets anymore. I've seen videos of him and his Macbook (x2) setup in his hotel room. He seems to put a lot of effort into preparing his Ableton configuration. If you listen to him talk, he really knows his tech inside out and has a passion for it.

He does use hardware live, a rare Monome sequencer which is allows him to mix stuff up and his Maschine controller amongst others.

It's the likes of Steve Angello who have been caught out, literally red handed playing a pre recorded set and just pretending basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

define production??? and what do they write? i.e. calvin harris does he write the lyrics for his tunes?

I've heard that Calvin Harris builds his music from scratch and is all self written, not sure about lyrics. Probably depends on what big star he's working with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digitalfunk

Regarding Guetta, didn't some pyro guy say that he was given a prerecord mix for guettas tour so they could sort out when to use the pyro/lasers as they are mainly controlled in a room/cabin backstage and wouldn't be able to do them "live". If that makes sense.

Calvin harris (or adam wiles) writes and produces all of his music. Including We Found Love. Rihanna just sang it and made it more famous than he ever could. He has thought himself well. Listen to his first album, the lyrics are terribly, but effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 digitalfunk

Also, Frédéric Riesterer & Giorgio Tuinfort seem to get production credits on a lot of David Guettas singles and albums. Strange!!

Advertisement