Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT failure: emissions (nearly)

Options
  • 15-08-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I put the car through the NCT there, failing on some minor points that will be sorted this weekend (including failing to remove the wheel caps!).

However, more worryingly, it came *very* close to failing on more serious bits, I was wondering how fixed these thresholds were?

For instance, on low idle (840rpm) I scored CO: 0.49%, with failure listed as 0.50%.
    HC was 210 ppm, but they've listed 'above 0ppm' as a failure (but not failed me??)

High idle lambda was 1.00 (sounds like cat isn't doing anything :confused: ), not between 0.97 - 1.03 listed as failure.

and finally, CO was 0.28% at high idle (2920rpm), with 0.30% failing.

Listed fail/refusals are for other bits, but in a year's time, I'll be looking at either a new cat (?), lambda sensor or other expensive parts by the looks.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

For instance, on low idle (840rpm) I scored CO: 0.49%, with failure listed as 0.50%.

How old is the car ? On my cert anything above 0.3% is a fail ?
    HC was 210 ppm, but they've listed 'above 0ppm' as a failure (but not failed me??)

I think this is again down to the age of the car. My cert says HC 15ppm but has N/A beside it.
    High idle lambda was 1.00 (sounds like cat isn't doing anything :confused: ), not between 0.97 - 1.03 listed as failure.

Isn't 1.00 between 0.97 and 1.03 ?

0.2% on my cert but again they are more lenient on older cars.
    Listed fail/refusals are for other bits, but in a year's time, I'll be looking at either a new cat (?), lambda sensor or other expensive parts by the looks.

Maybe not but I'm sure the more knowledgeable here will let you know.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Hi all,

I put the car through the NCT there, failing on some minor points that will be sorted this weekend (including failing to remove the wheel caps!).

However, more worryingly, it came *very* close to failing on more serious bits, I was wondering how fixed these thresholds were?

Any ideas?

Your lambda reading is a perfect as it can be.

The HC is not tested at low idle, hence not failing.

The CO's being so close to the limit could indicate a very slight exhaust leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Yeah, the back box is definitely rusty, so there could be/almost certainly is some rusting further back.
    From visual inspection the manifold to cat to mid section looks ok, but I haven't pulled it out, so it could be on the other side.
    Might get a high-flow sports cat while I'm having the lot out sometime during the year, but nothing to get fret about for the next 13 months.

Advertisement