Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benifit of a Gigabit port on a powerline adapter?

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭

I'm debating whether to buy a TL-PA411 or a TL-PA511

The only difference i can see is that one has a Gigabit port and the other a 10/100

Surely if the speed of the link is 500Mbps (max) the TL-PA411 is really a 100Mbps not 500Mbps unit at best?

My fileserver is using a 10/100 network card currently so maybe i don't need the Gigibit port anyway..though my guess is the 500Mbps is far closer to 10/100 in reality..

Am struggling to see the benefit of one over the other, anyone any recommendations , thoughts?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

You can't upgrade a 100 to 1000...but...you can downgrade a 1000 to 100 !
    Is not only the speed,but also the bandwidth !

Just make it future proof ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TimotiSt

Homeplug linespeed depends on a lot of factors, but if it can go over 100Megs, and you use the one with a 10/100 port, then you'll cap the speed at 100Megs.
    If the price is not that different, go with the gigabit one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/?categoryid=1679 450MHz wifi

all speeds quoted are the downhill with the wind behind you on a good day.

higher speeds on wifi/powerline/adsl are based on signal to noise ratio
    so you won't get higher speeds unless there less electrical noise or rather if you area is noisy you won't benefit from gear that will be swamped by noise.

you can't make the signal stronger since it's probably already at the limit

in the UK they are trying to legleslate which frequencies powerline adaptors can use check if they can take a firmware update to future proof them

double check if there is anyway at all to use a cable
    a 20m Cat5e patch cable (no crimping or tools needed) will give you rock solid gigabit for a fraction of the price. Trade prices are only a few quid each

Advertisement