Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Incredibly harsh decision to award us a penalty there. I still think we are comfortable enough for 3 points but nonetheless a very bad refereeing decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

karma_ wrote: »
    Incredibly harsh decision to award us a penalty there. I still think we are comfortable enough for 3 points but nonetheless a very bad refereeing decision.

What did the linesman imagine happened there?

JPA wrote: »
    What did the linesman imagine happened there?

Who knows, the commentators were talking about a handball but I couldn't see it or anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Disgraceful decision, no one even looked for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Disgraceful decision, no one even looked for it.

*ref conspiracy here*

Dunno why Matt Le Tissier made such an issue over Tevez taking it and not Aguero...

"We love you linesman" :pac:

4 now, this could get nasty for Villa, their heads are gone completely, young Bannon looked absolutely distraught after the 2nd peno decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

IvySlayer wrote: »
    *ref conspiracy here*

That only applies if it's United :P

Loving this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Superb performance today I thought...glad Silva got his goal...just what's needed before Madrid

Oh and:

Top of the table, we're having a laugh :D

Crisis!!! :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Crisis!!! :eek:

:pac:
    Top of the league (and not got out of third gear yet this season), best GD in the PL, last unbeaten side in the PL, unbeaten at home since december 2010. Long may the crisis continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

that was just the performance we needed

great weekend:)

Just grabbed tickets for Reading on Dec 22, can't wait now :D

So that's that for another year. I already had us out before tonight so there wasn't much disappointment.

Bad news with Kompany leaving the ground on crutches, especially with Chelsea likely to hit the ground running on Sunday. Massive game.

• Advertisement

Wrote a few thoughts on yesterday's game if anyone is bored and fancies a read. Opinions welcome -

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/a-tribute-to-citys-unsung-heroes/

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Hi Peeps

What do you think of this Nastasic guy? Is he a guaranteed started now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

james123 wrote: »
    Hi Peeps

I think he's excellent, one of the best young defenders in the PL. First choice beside Kompany definitely for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nastasic has done OK. I wouldn't say he's looked outstanding or anything yet though. The Lescott of last season was better.

I like him a lot I have to say and he is only 19! I will be interested to see his progress for the rest of the season, long way to go but i like him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Blatter wrote: »
    Nastasic has done OK. I wouldn't say he's looked outstanding or anything yet though. The Lescott of last season was better.

Aye thats what I thought,why break up Lescott and Vince but Nastasic has actually turned out alright,the thing is though with his age,any mistake will be pounced upon by commentators/Lescott backers.

Only one goal conceded though in our last 5 PL games(which Nastasic has started all 5),is good going and he's starting to win me round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Wrote a few thoughts on yesterday's game if anyone is bored and fancies a read. Opinions welcome -

You wrote that?

Have to admit it was a very enjoyable read. Prompted me to go and read your "Madness to sack Mancini" piece which turned out to be an even better read.

Kess73 wrote: »
    You wrote that?

Have to admit it was a very enjoyable read. Prompted me to go and read your "Madness to sack Mancini" piece which turned out to be an even better read.

Shocking I know! I keep my serious thoughts/writing and forum posting very much separate from each other :pac:

Cheers for having a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

interesting piece. you are right about barry, not one for the fancy stuff but the majority of city fans who watch closely do acknowledge his true worth.
    Kolarov is a player who has gotten a lot of stick mainly for his defensive qualities, or lack of them as some might say. There has been an improvement in him, but he has still a lot to prove.

Nice article.
    james123 wrote: »
    Hi Peeps

I like him a lot, he's been steady so far and I think he is playing at a level well beyond his years, certainly one to watch although I'd rather not over-hype the lad. If I were Lescott, I'd have worries about losing my spot permanently.
    interesting piece. you are right about barry, not one for the fancy stuff but the majority of city fans who watch closely do acknowledge his true worth.
    Kolarov is a player who has gotten a lot of stick mainly for his defensive qualities, or lack of them as some might say. There has been an improvement in him, but he has still a lot to prove.

Barry doesn't get the plaudits he deserves, is modest and stays well out of the spotlight but credit where it's due, it's no accident he makes the team match after match (Imagine what he would be like if he could use his right boot too!). Kolarov on the other hand I feel started life at City poorly, recently though he has been much steadier and greatly improved.

WHAT IN THE NAME OF FÚCK IS TEVEZ DOING ON THE BENCH AGAIN!

Hart, Maicon, Kompany, Nastasic, Zabaleta, Javi Garcia, Toure, Silva, Barry, Aguero, Balotelli. Subs: Pantilimon, Toure, Kolarov, Milner, Sinclair, Tevez, Dzeko

Hart, Maicon, Kompany, Nastasic, Zabaleta, Javi Garcia, Toure, Silva, Barry, Aguero, Balotelli. Subs: Pantilimon, Toure, Kolarov, Milner, Sinclair, Tevez, Dzeko

It is strange, but I'm glad Mario is getting a start. I really think he could do well this season with a few regular starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

He's not doing enough to start. Mario played well tonight especially to muscle his way to score. I don't think any of the strikers are nailed on so starting one over another is much of a muchness.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    He's not doing enough to start. Mario played well tonight especially to muscle his way to score.

I really disagree, I didn't see anything in the first hour that I would call playing well, then got a lucky, scrappy goal. Now, I do like him a lot, and I know he has great performances in him, but I personally didn't see anything tonight that would warrant him starting over Tevez.

I really disagree, I didn't see anything in the first hour that I would call playing well, then got a lucky, scrappy goal. Now, I do like him a lot, and I know he has great performances in him, but I personally didn't see anything tonight that would warrant him starting over Tevez.

Disagree. He made that goal himself. Muscled himself an opportunity and had the composure to follow up the rebound. I'm not his biggest fan but games like tonight are his good games. He didn't drop the head like Torres does and Mario is want to do himself. Kept plugging away and got a goal.

There isn't anything to warrant him starting but there's to warrant Tevez starting either. No-one is on form.

• Advertisement

I'd rather a fresh Tevez starts this weekend against Everton, we'll need him in top form.

Another very good Gareth Barry performance, an assist for the second and it was his shot Al Habsi spilled for Mario's.

First team in Premier League history to be unbeaten for the first 14 games of consecutive seasons.

I'd rather a fresh Tevez starts this weekend against Everton, we'll need him in top form.

I'd say that's why Mario started tonight. I don't think scoring will have made much difference to Mancini.

Shame about Milner, he probably would have started too.

I thought Mario put in a lot of effort last night but it was headless chicken stuff at times

He was feeding off scraps though to be fair.

Yaya was crap.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/news/gallardo-reveals-peps-city-deal_57106.html
    Agent: 'Pep Guardiola has agreed to become Manchester City manager'

Former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has a preliminary agreement with Manchester City to become their next manager, according to Francois Gallardo.

The FIFA agent claims that the 41-year-old has made up his mind to move to the Etihad Stadium and will not listen to offers from other clubs.

"Guardiola has a pre-deal to be the next manager of Manchester City," The Mirror quotes him as saying. "No matter if Milan or whoever make offers to him."

Gallardo added that once Guardiola takes over at City, he will try to sign goalkeeper Victor Valdes from his old club Barcelona.

"It will be an offer to stun your mind," he said. "If I were Barcelona, I would be very concerned."

City appointed former Barcelona director of football Txiki Begiristain in a similar role in October and also appointed former Barca financial vice-president Ferran Soriano as their CEO.

Interesting to see something with quotes but I'm still not buying it all, especially when this 'agent' claimed recently that John Terry was signing for Valencia.

Not sure what we'd do with Valdes either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/man-city/news/gallardo-reveals-peps-city-deal_57106.html

Interesting to see something with quotes but I'm still not buying it all, especially when this 'agent' claimed recently that John Terry was signing for Valencia.

Not sure what we'd do with Valdes either.

Sounds like the agent is talking ****e.

Why the hell would City want Valdes.

Hart is infinitely better. Valdes is probably the most over rated 'keeper in the world.

He's not nearly good enough to be Barca's 'Keeper, let alone city. Only reason he's still at barca is because he's catalan and came through their youth team.

That's a complete load if I ever saw one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

its approaching the jan window, and i was starting to think about the areas city could do with some additional strength.

what worries me most is the strength in the middle of the park, someone who can really let Yaya move forward and do some real damage in the final third of the pitch. I used to favour a bit of NDJ for this, but thats rather unfortunately an area where Mancini and I differ. Everton were a far stronger team in that area over the weekend imo, which should have allowed them to capitalise more.

folan wrote: »
    its approaching the jan window, and i was starting to think about the areas city could do with some additional strength.

what worries me most is the strength in the middle of the park, someone who can really let Yaya move forward and do some real damage in the final third of the pitch. I used to favour a bit of NDJ for this, but thats rather unfortunately an area where Mancini and I differ. Everton were a far stronger team in that area over the weekend imo, which should have allowed them to capitalise more.

I think we need someone to take some of the workload off Yaya. He attempted 95 passes at the weekend, over 20 more than second on the list (that's both teams as well).

He's had one assist since the opening day and hasn't scored since the third game. A lot of that has to do with the fact that he misplaces more passes in the final third.

That's nothing unusual per se, but if he hasn't got an end product with all that time in possession it's not good.

I'd throw a load at Everton for Fellaini, he would be awesome for any team in the league and he'll leave once given a good wedge and a guarantee of Champions League football next year. They can't give him either right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Silva not 100% for Sunday. Who would replace him ye reckon? Is Milner fit?

For some reason I think it's a game crying out for Balo :pac:

Could there be a case for including him Aguero and Tevez, the latter playing deep?

*Saying that the Silva thing could well be mindgames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then out on their arse with a record low of 3 points against a weakened Dortmund, what's wrong with City?

A clueless manager? Pampered players who couldn't even raise themselves to save embarrassment? The club as a whole for its monied culture? If you win your domestic league then next season Europe is what really matters, or should be. Mancini should have been buying and selling with the CL in mind, maybe he thought he did but bought badly.

Any City heads care to enlighten me?

mike65 wrote: »
    So then out on their arse with a record low of 3 points against a weakened Dortmund, what's wrong with City?

Tough group, lack of experience in the competition, etc etc. Which excuse would you like?

Remind me how Ferguson and Wenger got on in their first two Champions League campaigns.
    A clueless manager?

Is that a serious question?
    Pampered players who couldn't even raise themselves to save embarrassment? The club as a whole for its monied culture? If you win your domestic league then next season Europe is what really matters, or should be. Mancini should have been buying and selling with the CL in mind, maybe he thought he did but bought badly.

You've come in here with your little cheap shots about a 'clueless manager' and a 'monied culture' and try dress it up as if you want a genuine conversation.

More transparent than a window :rolleyes:

Ah now Mike

i would expect this kind of carry on from a united fan not a Liverpool one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

A clueless manager? Pampered players who couldn't even raise themselves to save embarrassment? The club as a whole for its monied culture? If you win your domestic league then next season Europe is what really matters, or should be. Mancini should have been buying and selling with the CL in mind, maybe he thought he did but bought badly.

Insert 'Ferguson' for 'Mancini' in the above enligthened statement and you have utd's so called plight last year. As for enlightment of your good self... Relax, as your not a City fan, does it really concern you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Insert 'Ferguson' for 'Mancini' in the above enligthened statement and you have utd's so called plight last year

Now now, we have enough of our own problems without inheriting yours! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

lack of experience in the competition

Booooollocks.
    Yep. Maicon, Tevez, Balotelli and Toure are all Champions League winners. Aguero is a Europa League winner and played in the Champions League before joining City. Silva, Nasri, Dzeko, Garcia, Kolarov and Clichy all had Champions League experience before joining City.

Those players are hardly rabbits in the headlights when it comes to the CL. That experience excuse is a load of balls.

Posted that in the match thread. The tough group is an excuse, not a great excuse considering the team City have but fair enough. But don't peddle that ''experience'' nonsense. Mancini has plenty of experience in the Champions League as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't get chippy! :p

I'm quiet serious, sure its a hard life in the CL when you have a low coefficient (which will get worse not better having failed to qualify for the EL) but you have the players and an experienced manager yet got blown out of the water by Ajax and managed to blow a lead with minutes to go against Madrid. Dortmund were nowhere last year but clearly learnt a lesson or two.

I'm quiet serious, sure its a hard life in the CL when you have a low coefficient (which will get worse not better having failed to qualify for the EL) but you have the players and an experienced manager yet got blown out of the water by Ajax and managed to blow a lead with minutes to go against Madrid. Dortmund were nowhere last year but clearly learnt a lesson or two.

Dortmund were probably concentrating on winning back-to-back domestic leagues.......as i have said on here before its all about winning the league again and getting a good foot hold at home before moving on to other things and also to try and make fergie fail at his last challenge (presumably) before he retires :p

EDIT: and just to clarify, im not just saying it because city are out, ive been saying it since the last day of last season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Now now, we have enough of our own problems without inheriting yours! :P

Technically we'd be inheriting yours :P

Being serious, it is all doom and gloom. Still only unbeaten team in the premiership, champions, and in all fairness strongly considered favourites to retain their title. Champions League exit was disappointing, yes, but it's just another trophy that's working towards.

In fairness, when I feel lowabout how things go at City this weather, i can always console myself with the fact that we're not Liverpool :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Quite surprised that City did not manage to win a game, but think I am more surprised at those thinking it is a massive shock that they went out.

Was a very strong group and although I thought City would get third place rather than last, I don't think seeing a very good Dortmund side and Real take the top spots is a big shock (although I did think it would be Real topping the group with Dortmund coming second).

Basically all it is is that City, a good team, were in a group that had two very good teams in it.

I don't think that any of the English teams in this season's CL would have come out of same group tbh although of the four English teams I would have given United the best chance of doing so.

Although it may be a cliche of sorts, going out of the CL might cause this City team to really focus on the league now and come the latter part of the season the lack of extra games may prove crucial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement