Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29678081

He looked unreal yesterday, and could have scored a few more ,imagine if Mannone was in Goal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Not long back after going over for the game. BT must have loved it, but it's not the sort of game for a bloke who had a heart attack a few years ago! Fair do's to Spurs, who at least came to have a go, unlike most who come to the Etihad. The plus points from yesterday;
    1.Jimbo (put in a fantastic shift)
    2. Joe (back to his best, and was a major contributory factor in the win)
    3. Kun (what can you say? The guy's a machine. If we can keep him fit for the whole season, what can he end up scoring? He should have had at least 6 yesterday; the missed penalty and rebound, the one where he skinned Kaboul and forced Lloris into a fine save, the chance at the far post in the second half, the swerving shot in the second half)
    4. Honourable mentions to Fernandinho, Yaya and Jojo for their efforts when they came on.

And the minus points;
    1. The defence. It was very ropey at times when Spurs ran at them, they got through too easily at times.
    2. Merlin. By his usual high standards, he was very poor yesterday. Misplaced passes, poor decision making. I suppose he's due an odd bad one!
    3. Fernando. He had a shocker. Badly at fault for Spurs' goal, and it happened several times. He'll need to learn that you don't get the time on the ball in the PL that you do in Portugal.
    4. Navas. So infuriating at times. The guy has loads of pace, and Rose was like a rabbit in the headlights yesterday. But for some reason Jesus seemed unwilling to push it past him and bomb on. The one time he did run past Rose, it led to the third goal (the third City penalty).

As a side point, I was very impressed with young Mason for Spurs. Definitely one to watch. And Eriksen is a class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The derby can't come soon enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Poor decision from the ref cost us the game, but these things happen. Our chances of getting out of the group have gone from small to slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Can't believe we've buggered ourselves for another year. You can't depend on referee decisions to get through, we should have demolished them.

Can't believe we've buggered ourselves for another year. You can't depend on referee decisions to get through, we should have demolished them.

You just know we will get another insanely tough group next season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Soul destroying stuff following this team in the champs league, find myself dreading every game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Question for City fans. Fail to get out of the group and come 2nd in the league.

Good season, bad season, OK but need to improve?

As a Liverpool fan I would be dancing, but I suspect we have different criteria. Do seem to get tough groups alright and must be suffering from the weight of expectation somewhat.

I am pie wrote: »
    Question for City fans. Fail to get out of the group and come 2nd in the league.

As a Liverpool fan I would be dancing, but I suspect we have different criteria. Do seem to get tough groups alright and must be suffering from the weight of expectation somewhat.

I couldn't call it a really good season compared to our recent years, but I wouldn't be terribly unhappy either. A good cup run or Europa League run would help.

• Advertisement

I am pie wrote: »

It depends how we play in the league. Chelsea look unstoppable atm but if we push them close and play well I'll be ok with it. If Aguero stays fit, I think there's a good chance we can catch them.

I'm not even annoyed about the Champions league. The players did enough to win today, but two decisions went against them. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

To be honest we still have a good chance at getting out the group stage.
    Looking at how roma re performing against bayern. Especially roma at home.
    It should not be that hard to beat them.
    Also I am def seeing a win at home against cska.
    And then roma win against cska.
    A draw against Bayern home would get us to group stages...

To be honest we still have a good chance at getting out the group stage.
    Looking at how roma re performing against bayern. Especially roma at home.
    It should not be that hard to beat them.
    Also I am def seeing a win at home against cska.
    And then roma win against cska.
    A draw against Bayern home would get us to group stages...

Assuming Bayern beat us and Roma again, two wins would see us qualify. Don't even need to draw with Bayern. Roma will probably shut up shop against us though.

Assuming Bayern beat us and Roma again, two wins would see us qualify. Don't even need to draw with Bayern. Roma will probably shut up shop against us though.

To be honest if we do not get champions league I will be quite actually really happy and feel it as a success if we win the epl, fa cup and capital one cup.
    I would take those 3 in replacement for the champions league trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

i think that questions have to be asked about pelligrini how we can consistently put out a 4-4-2 away in Europe and expect to do well is beyond me.

I know last night was unlucky but it seams like he doesn't want to change at all for European matches

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

murphk wrote: »
    i think that questions have to be asked about pelligrini how we can consistently put out a 4-4-2 away in Europe and expect to do well is beyond me.

I know last night was unlucky but it seams like he doesn't want to change at all for European matches

Thoughts?

I think he will get one more go at it next year and that will be it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I think he will get one more go at it next year and that will be it

im not so sure. he has 2 games to get out of the group, both of which are must wins, and 1 more to at least challenge against.

Anything less than a convincing win against CSKA at home could be very bad for him. He has had a very successful season last season, but europe has thus far escaped us, and unless there is good domestic silverware in the club this season he may be a victim of the notorious sack race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

To be honest if we do not get champions league I will be quite actually really happy and feel it as a success if we win the epl, fa cup and capital one cup.
    I would take those 3 in replacement for the champions league trophy.

So just a treble then to make up for not getting out of the group stages of Champs League? Shouldn't be an issue...

West Ham are playing really well. Not giving us any time on the ball at all.

Dzeko and Clichy not having the best games. I would like to see Jovetic and Kolarov brought on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Not panicking yet as there is no point but we really need to get our act together...we're always guilty of being in first gear against mid table team and only turning on the jets when it's nearly too late...today's a rare day in which we couldn't turn it back in time. Kompany/Mangala isn't working as well as it should be. Wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Not panicking yet as there is no point but we really need to get our act together...we're always guilty of being in first gear against mid table team and only turning on the jets when it's nearly too late...today's a rare day in which we couldn't turn it back in time. Kompany/Mangala isn't working as well as it should be. Wouldn't be a bad idea to give them a break.

Some numpty on the Chelsea thread reckons city wont get within 5 points of chelsea again all season!!!

Guidetti's scored again for Celtic, having a fine time there.

Guidetti's scored again for Celtic, having a fine time there.

Yeah he might be good for them but he is not that good for us.
    I seen him play during pre season and he was awful, had few clear chances which he missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Mulumpy

First and probably only time im glad to see Utd score in "fergie time"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Mulumpy wrote: »
    First and probably only time im glad to see Utd score in "fergie time"
    I had mixed feelings about it. I was glad that Chelsea didn't win, but I intensely dislike United. Overall, it was probably the best result for us. But we have to up our performances, starting next weekend. I don't think we'ver put in a really top notch performance yet this season. Next sunday would be a perfect time to start, for all sorts of reasons!

4231 is the formation we should go for.
    442 is not working out.

Anyone thinking of buying agueros biography.
    ''Born to Rise''
    I am really looking forward on buying it but I want to buy it locally. Not from Amazon and get charged extra for delivery.
    Anyone know a place in Ireland where I could get it ?

is city newcastle on tv tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Chrissybhoy

murphk wrote: »
    is city newcastle on tv tonight?

Yeah live on Sky Sports

Jeeeesh. Newcastle really giving us the run around. Should have had a penalty too.

For all the flack Kompany gets on this forum, we always looks better with him. We're giving away far too much space at the back.

• Advertisement

Silva injured as well....been a terrible period for us these last few weeks

Players don't look bothered at all which is worrying. Can't believe Sagna has been so poor since he came, awful again tonight

Players don't look bothered at all which is worrying. Can't believe Sagna has been so poor since he came, awful again tonight

Think our guys might have thought they only had to turn up tonight. Easy to think that way but it's always a mistake against PL teams :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's just not gonna happen for City tonight at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It's just not gonna happen for City tonight at all

Deserve nothing from the game Newcastle fully deserving of their win especially as it's close to their reserve side

worst performance i can remember Toure was being carried again
    Mangala has been poor since he came id bench him for the derby
    Sanga is the same poor at best

really annoyed with that match I dont mind when we loose but we were so bad tonight not nearly good enough
    maybe we need fresh blood in january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Sagna was a disgrace and toure doesn't want to know

Ye all are missing on another weak link.
    Cabarello, why does he keep coming out thinking as if he is neur.
    Feck off, I was pretty down today and this result just made my day better.

We really need to change the formation, also Dzeko should cop on and play properly, this is all a joke.
    There is no passion or motivation, just because we won the league does not mean we can just slack off and take it easy.
    One more thing before I finish my ''rant'' is it just me or has nasri put on some weight, I do not think he was near match fit and should had kept training with the squad till he is 100%.

• Advertisement

Silva is out for up to three weeks. Terrible news, but we should still win the derby without him. As good a time as any to put to rest this poor recent form.

This is the team I would like to see today

Aguero
    Milner Navas
    Toure Fernandinho
    Fernando
    Kolarov Mangala Kompany Zab
    Hart

-Kolarov on to take corners and run at Raphael with Milner.
    -Fernando sitting on front of the back four allows Toure to roam forward when he wants, and he can cover whenever Zab and Kolarov bomb forward.
    -Aguero to do what he does best.
    -Basically flood the midfield, stop United from countering and just pass the ball to Aguero whenever possible.

This is the team I would like to see today

Aguero
    Milner Navas
    Toure Fernandinho
    Fernando
    Kolarov Mangala Kompany Zab
    Hart

-Kolarov on to take corners and run at Raphael with Milner.
    -Fernando sitting on front of the back four allows Toure to roam forward when he wants, and he can cover whenever Zab and Kolarov bomb forward.
    -Aguero to do what he does best.
    -Basically flood the midfield, stop United from countering and just pass the ball to Aguero whenever possible.

We all would love to see that team but both of of us know that will never happen with Pallegrini.
    I have never seen once Fernandinho and Fernando playing at the same time from the beginning of the match.

We all would love to see that team but both of of us know that will never happen with Pallegrini.
    I have never seen once Fernandinho and Fernando playing at the same time from the beginning of the match.

With Silva out though he might not have a choice. I could see him playing Yaya behind Aguero in this game. That would leave him with no choice but to play the two Ferns unless he plays Milner there. A lot depends on if he plays 4-4-2 or changes it up like he did against Spurs.

I think Dzeko has to start against United...it just wouldn't feel right otherwise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

So here we go again, the "experts" have Chelsea with the title already.

Same as last year, Arsenal had it won at Christmas. :rolleyes:

We haven't played yet and still only 6 off the top.

Ref today was a Man U fan btw ;)

• Advertisement

Just gonna make winning the league again even sweeter. They won't be ready when the team starts to tick!

Yaya back in form ?
    If he plays with this much passion and determination were sure to win our remainder champions leage games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Hitchens wrote: »
    So here we go again, the "experts" have Chelsea with the title already.

Same as last year, Arsenal had it won at Christmas. :rolleyes:

We haven't played yet and still only 6 off the top.

Ref today was a Man U fan btw ;)

Well Chelsea are clear favourites at this stage and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Johner wrote: »
    Well Chelsea are clear favourites at this stage and rightly so.
    well, lump on so

Yaya back in form ?
    If he plays with this much passion and determination were sure to win our remainder champions leage games.

He definitely had the jets turned on at times which was great to see. I definitely think he stepped up in particular to Merlin's absence. If we keep Silva, Toure, Aguero and Kompany fit and at their peaks and the rest just stay consistently good we'll qualify from the CL and win the league I'm certain of it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement