Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I've always been a fan of Fofana, no pun intended. He's going to be a great player. I cannot see City getting rid of him in a hurry but you never know, we let Denis Suarez go which in the future will go down as one of the biggest mistakes the club have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

rwbug wrote: »

Chelsea will probably win the league, but not really due to their brilliance but more because of everyone else being useless or imploding - a bit like 2012/13.

I don't like praising Chelsea but I have to disagree here. I think they are the most well drilled side in the premier league and really play as a team. They are where they are in the league because they have been better than everyone else, unfortunately for us. I think we badly need to sign a new midfielder in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I'd rather finish 4th than run Chelsea close and not win the league.

Because that would be papering over cracks.

We need youth and pace and to get rid of all the deadwood.

Looking at Messi and Barca last night im not looking forward to them games at all now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

TheNap wrote: »
    I'd rather finish 4th than run Chelsea close and not win the league.

Because that would be papering over cracks.

We need youth and pace and to get rid of all the deadwood.

Looking at Messi and Barca last night im not looking forward to them games at all now :(

When is yaya and bony back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I don't like praising Chelsea but I have to disagree here. I think they are the most well drilled side in the premier league and really play as a team. They are where they are in the league because they have been better than everyone else, unfortunately for us. I think we badly need to sign a new midfielder in the summer.

Every team in Europe will be after Pogba by the sounds of it, thats if Juventus to decide to cash in, would make his value out of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

When is yaya and bony back?

If I was guessing I'd imagine they'll be back in Manchester late tonight UK time or early tomorrow morning.

Would be a risk for the Stoke game but they could easily at least be in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Confirmed by the club that they won't be in the squad tomorrow.

Fantastic goal by Aguero and then that beanpole equalizes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Sergio just off injured
    Possibly bad cramp and taken off as a precaution

• Advertisement

Nice to get that win without Yaya. That Aguero yellow card was bizarre in the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

murphk wrote: »
    Sergio just off injured
    Possibly bad cramp and taken off as a precaution
    Pellegrini said in his post match comments that it's not serious and that he expects him to be back for the next game. I hope so, I'm travelling over for the Newcastle game!

Great win, unfortunately Chelsea are just gonna keep doing what they did last night, grinding out a win, I was just waiting for that last minute goal. Costa to come back now too. And of course we will be complacent again as is this teams want at the moment.

If all else fails I just want us to keep the title race going as far as possible, the meekness of the 2013 surrender hopefully is not to be repeated.

Anyone else a bit worried about the spine of the team and their age? Kompany Silva Toure all close to or over 30, and not much 25 and under players we can rely on. I think we have the highest average age in the PL. There seems to have been a lack of focus on buying for the future the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Great win, unfortunately Chelsea are just gonna keep doing what they did last night, grinding out a win, I was just waiting for that last minute goal. Costa to come back now too. And of course we will be complacent again as is this teams want at the moment.

If all else fails I just want us to keep the title race going as far as possible, the meekness of the 2013 surrender hopefully is not to be repeated.

Anyone else a bit worried about the spine of the team and their age? Kompany Silva Toure all close to or over 30, and not much 25 and under players we can rely on. I think we have the highest average age in the PL. There seems to have been a lack of focus on buying for the future the last few seasons.
    Ye're just doing what Chelsea did the first time they won the league, bought for the here and now wanting immediate success, rather than as you say, buying for the future, which is what they were doing until Mourinho came back and added a few more faces to the young base that they signed in 2012&2013, namely Hazard, Oscar, Courtois etc.

Ye'll get there eventually, no point in selling the players you've mentioned when they're still well able.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Anyone else hear about Jovetic's reactiom to being left out.
    Apparantely he is not happy with Pallagerinis decision.
    Can see him def going out this summer but after seeing him play in AFCON. Bony is not that good. All he has is strenght and header. Lacks skill where Jovetic does not.
    We will have to wait this Saturday to see....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Anyone else hear about Jovetic's reactiom to being left out.
    Apparantely he is not happy with Pallagerinis decision.
    Can see him def going out this summer but after seeing him play in AFCON. Bony is not that good. All he has is strenght and header. Lacks skill where Jovetic does not.
    We will have to wait this Saturday to see....

So you never seen him play in the premier league,hes a great player theres no doubt about that.His team won the AFCON I didnt watch any of it but I thought Yaya and Bony where linking up well.
    I rather see Jovetic go than Dzeko.

• Advertisement

Although i've only seen a handful of PL matches in person, Bony is one of the ones who has really stuck out. His movement is excellent, just what you need for those bottom 7/8 teams who sit back and chill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lads, how's Aguerro looking for the weekend? Asking purely for Fantasy Football related-ness.

Cheers.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Lads, how's Aguerro looking for the weekend? Asking purely for Fantasy Football related-ness.

Cheers.

He tweeted last week saying he is ok, taken off as a precaution with a back spasm I think, he hasn't missed any training. I would fully expect him to start

Apparently we have a fully fit squad now...imagine!

Comeback is on so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Full squad, no excuses, expect City to push on from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

good set of results today no messing this up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

67 mins ............... 5 - 0

YAYA imperious ................and Wilfie rarin' to go! :)

Just what was needed and more. Great stuff lads

_81157788_9da2a290-84fb-420c-9d12-c4b063014060.jpg

Just back in the hotel now. An excellent performance by the lads today, although Newcastle were sh1te. Merlin was back to his sublime best, Edin led the line really well and scored a cracking goal and the defence almost looked solid-ish again. Pity we took our foot off the gas in that last half hour though; 7 or 8 was definitely there for the taking today. Then again, I suppose it was understandable with the Barca gae coming up. By hell, it was cold there today. Penguins and polar bears have my utmost respect now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Well done

Another league for Man City / 3 leagues in 4 seasons pretty good going ..

I have to say im really pissed off with that match, not the fact we lost as such, but i think i've had it with pelligrini
    how many times in the last two years have we gone out in the CL and played 4-4-2 and been out played in the center of the pitch.

What particularly annoys me is the lack of tactical appreciation in our team selection. if we are going to play 4-4-2 against the best attacking team in the world then surely the one thing we don't want to do is give them loads of space.

playing silva and nasri (who wont track back and both tuck in) allows the barca full backs to attack on, also we then play milner(my fav player) in center mid where he hasn't played at all. Milner would have given us far more cover on the wing and is great at getting to the by line and crossing.

Fernando and milner didnt have a hope tonight and I feel sorry for them.

We should have gone 4-5-1 with fernando and fernadinio in the center with lampard silva and milner on each wing and sergio up front .

As i said im not so annoyed with the loss barca were amazing in the first half and deserved the win, but I just dont see pelligrini learning from any of our matches so far in europe

Thoughts anyone

/rant

I have to say im really pissed off with that match, not the fact we lost as such, but i think i've had it with pelligrini
    how many times in the last two years have we gone out in the CL and played 4-4-2 and been out played in the center of the pitch.

What particularly annoys me is the lack of tactical appreciation in our team selection. if we are going to play 4-4-2 against the best attacking team in the world then surely the one thing we don't want to do is give them loads of space.

playing silva and nasri (who wont track back and both tuck in) allows the barca full backs to attack on, also we then play milner(my fav player) in center mid where he hasn't played at all. Milner would have given us far more cover on the wing and is great at getting to the by line and crossing.

Fernando and milner didnt have a hope tonight and I feel sorry for them.

We should have gone 4-5-1 with fernando and fernadinio in the center with lampard silva and milner on each wing and sergio up front .

As i said im not so annoyed with the loss barca were amazing in the first half and deserved the win, but I just dont see pelligrini learning from any of our matches so far in europe

Thoughts anyone

/rant

I think the better team won tbh. You are being a bit harsh on the team imo, we were a lot better in the second half. We would have been a lot more dangerous with Yaya Toure obviously, but a one goal defecit going to the Nou Camp means there's still a lot to play for. Aguero was excellent and Hart's penalty save means it's not over before half time. Anyone think Clichy's red was harsh? He barely touched the guy.

I dont think we played that badly barcelona were at another level last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

After watching that game last night I think its clear that you need to improve in midfield. Schneiderlin and Paul Pogba would put you guys at the top end of the game imo.These defensive frailties would disappear if you get those guys who can break up play.

eagle eye wrote: »
    After watching that game last night I think its clear that you need to improve in midfield. Schneiderlin and Paul Pogba would put you guys at the top end of the game imo.These defensive frailties would disappear if you get those guys who can break up play.

Hard to disagree with that. Would love either of those two players or Marco Veratti. And an upgrade of Nasri and Navas if possible.

I think the better team won tbh. You are being a bit harsh on the team imo, we were a lot better in the second half. We would have been a lot more dangerous with Yaya Toure obviously, but a one goal defecit going to the Nou Camp means there's still a lot to play for. Aguero was excellent and Hart's penalty save means it's not over before half time. Anyone think Clichy's red was harsh? He barely touched the guy.

Ok i think maybe you took me up wrong i wasn't criticizing the team at all, any comment i made about players were descriptive of their style of play.

What I am critical of how the team was set up and the line up picked

Do you agree with last nights selection/formation?

Also if Yaya was there last night i don't think it would have affected the result we would still have been overrun in midfield.

If we play 4-4-2 at the nou camp we will be thumped !!

My gripe is that Pelligrini seems to only have one formation and even when that formation is unsuitable he does it any way.

Theres no way most other top class managers would play Barca that open in midfield, they would be pragmatic and change their preferred formation to suit the challenge.

Theres no way most other top class managers would play Barca that open in midfield, they would be pragmatic and change their preferred formation to suit the challenge.
    .....park the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

What is the story with Milner is he going or is it a bit of brinkmanship regarding a new contract or even has he signed one and I missed it. I like Milner think he is a fine player would love to see him in a darker shade of blue .... playing a wee bit south and east of Manchester when at home.

The penalty save by Hart I think was crucial with Toure back and an early goal in Spain anything can happen and yes thought the red was harsh but shouldn't really have given the ref the option. Barca tend to get those decisions remember Van Persie for Arsenal kicking the ball away?

Hitchens wrote: »
    .....park the bus?

I'm not going that far, on it i do think you have to try to win at home especially when the second leg is away.

But there is a middle ground between being as open as we were last night and parking the bus.

However (and i don't think this is the case for city) if the only way a team can win is by parking the bus then it would be mad to play any other way

Ok i think maybe you took me up wrong i wasn't criticizing the team at all, any comment i made about players were descriptive of their style of play.

What I am critical of how the team was set up and the line up picked

Do you agree with last nights selection/formation?

Also if Yaya was there last night i don't think it would have affected the result we would still have been overrun in midfield.

If we play 4-4-2 at the nou camp we will be thumped !!

My gripe is that Pelligrini seems to only have one formation and even when that formation is unsuitable he does it any way.

To be fair to Pellegrini, I think his hands were tied with regards formation/team selection. Fernando and Fernandinho don't exactly set the world alight when they start together in midfield.

Yaya would have been a huge difference in the midfield, I really don't think we would have taken anywhere near the battering we took in the first half if he had played. He is so crucial to how we play.

No matter how we set up though or what formation was used, it was always going to be tough against Neymar, Suarez and Messi. They are a handful for any team. Barcelona are just that little bit better than us in truth, but we are not too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Pellegrini's record speaks for itself against Barca, he has no clue how to setup vs them. No wins in 15 now. It's all well and good playing attacking football but it's not the way to beat Barca. Malaga beat them in Nou Camp last weekend the same way every other team has beaten them in last 8 years. By staying compact, sitting relatively deep and exploiting their high line.

• Advertisement

If i remember correctly when we beat roma Fernando and Fernandinho started together

and looked very convincing

even if you go with 4-4-2 starting milner at centre mid is crazy against barca why not lampard there instead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

If i remember correctly when we beat roma Fernando and Fernandinho started together

even if you go with 4-4-2 starting milner at centre mid is crazy against barca why not lampard there instead

Because I think I heard something a couple of weeks ago that Milner is looking to play in a cm role, instead of rm.
    This was when his whole contract thing was off a buzz and in conferences.

Ya, and Milner and Fernando started against Bayern when we beat them. Do you really think Fernandinho or Lampard would have made the difference? You already said if Yaya played it wouldn't have affected the result.

Watching the first half, it was like a cat toying with a mouse before he kills it. The second half was a big improvement (not difficult!). The worrying thing though is our lack of improvement in our CL campaigns. This is our fourth season in the competition, and is there any significant improvement from when we stepped out against Napoli in September 2011? Yes, we're getting tough draws but we can't keep using that as an excuse. We'll keep on getting them until we make a serious run in the competition (QF onwards). We don't seem cunning enough or tactically aware of how to play against Europe's elite. And I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Ya, and Milner and Fernando started against Bayern when we beat them. Do you really think Fernandinho or Lampard would have made the difference? You already said if Yaya played it wouldn't have affected the result.

I think 5 across midfield would have made the difference, in that context i'd def have Yaya over Lampard but he wasnt available so its a moot point.

But in the formation that started last night Yaya would not have made the difference he might have made it worse - While he gives us great go forward ball when he can get on it in the correct position Yaya isnt the best at tracking back himself. We would still have been over run in the centre.

I think 5 across midfield would have made the difference, in that context i'd def have Yaya over Lampard but he wasnt available so its a moot point.

But in the formation that started last night Yaya would not have made the difference he might have made it worse - While he gives us great go forward ball when he can get on it in the correct position Yaya isnt the best at tracking back himself. We would still have been over run in the centre.

Fair enough with the formation, but I can't agree with Yaya making things worse. He sits back when instructed to and does a good job. We would have had a lot more possession too if he played. Lampard is slow as a snail and not great at defending, I think we would have have conceded more if he had started in midfield.

• Advertisement

Lampard has been great at having an impact with his timing of runs into box and nicking a goal (mostly as a sub) but his overall play has been poor. Things would have been much worse with him in a 442. He played in a midfield three against Bayerns ten men and couldn't help us dominate possesion. Fernando and Milner are are a poor midfield two combination, but Lampard in a midfield two would have been much worse.

Lampard starting against Barca, are you mad! He's 36/37 and doesn't have the legs to keep up with those lads. Even the fittest 20 something players struggle.

Can see why Milner was put in there to be honest, but Fernando over Fernandinho was baffling. Fernandinho made a big difference when he came on.

Atmosphere was brutal again, its wierd because I almost feel the same way as the fans in the stadium. A league defeat bothers me for the entire week, a champs league defeat never really bothers me. Maybe I am just used to it at this stage.

Do a you tube search for Marcos Lopes vs Lyon. Assist and winner versus the leaders today.

Rony is going to be a star. Shockingly gifted young lad. The club must hold onto him and not give him away like they did with Denis Suarez

Ya gotta feel Pelle's days are numbered like a calender...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement