Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Big rumors on twitter that Guardiola has signed to be our manager in the summer. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

would love to see it just for him vs jose again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Big rumors on twitter that Guardiola has signed to be our manager in the summer. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Yep; BeinSports reporting it;

RsHETUI.png

The latest doing the rounds tonight is that Did Hamann and Lothar Matthaus have told Sky Germany that they have been informed that Guardiola is "likely" to join City this summer. Make of that what you will, and don't shoot the messenger!

• Advertisement

Yep; I saw that last night. But I wouldn't put too much faith in his predictions; he's not got a great track record. In the past he's predicted that City would snare Casillas and Guardiola back in 2013, Rafa wouldn't go to Chelsea and that Guardiola wouldn't go to Bayern.Time will tell. At the moment? Who knows. I don't doubt for second that if he were to become available, then Txiki and Ferran would try to land him. They know him very well of course, having worked with him at Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Balague is an idiot that makes blunt statements to try appear relatively important but often gets things completely wrong...sure he has made some good calls but he's the last guy that I'd listen to. I don't think Pep will leave to be honest, neither do I think Pellegrini will leave.

Balague is an idiot that makes blunt statements to try appear relatively important but often gets things completely wrong...sure he has made some good calls but he's the last guy that I'd listen to. I don't think Pep will leave to be honest, neither do I think Pellegrini will leave.
    The talk this last 18 months has been that if he was coming, it'd be next summer (2016). I'm not convinced he'll turn up at the Etihad in the next few months. Equally, I'm not convinced he'll be at Bayern for years to come either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

How likely is it that Kompany will come on lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Would ye like Pellegrini to continue lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

How likely is it that Kompany will come on lads?

Your guess is as good as mine but he should come on late on,Im thinking if theres a couple goals in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Speaking for myself, yes I would like to at the bare minimum is give him another full season.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Really not sure, to be honest. He had us playing scintillating football last season (the best in the division, for me). Not sure what the hell's gone wrong this season, but we've been unimpressive for large chunks of the season. Plus, he seems obsessed with 4-4-2, which isn't the way to play against the top teams; see the game vs Spurs last weekend, with Kun on his own up top. It was one of our best/most fluid attacking performances of the season. And we don't seem to have a plan B for when teams "park the bus" against us. Also, some of his selections and substitutions can be bizarre at times. The constant rotating of the defence is an obvious example. Find your best 4, and stick with it. On the plus side, his handling of Hart's dip in form early in the season was very good.Hart seems to be back to his best again (needs to with that defence!). I suppose if Guardiola or Ancellotti were to become available in the summer, we couldn't really pass up on the opportunity to nab one or the other. I wouldn't ditch Pellegrini for Klopp though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

what a player

what a player
    Laughable how he wasn't in the shortlist for the PFA player of the year. Top scorer in the league despite missing a chunk of the season with injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I love Kolarov free kicks.

A professional performance, though it could have been more; we took our foot off the gas in the last 20 minutes. Looking good for Kun re. the Golden Boot award. And delighted for Joe, keeping another clean sheet to keep the pressure on Mignolet for the Golden Gloves award. Just a pity we had such a sh1tty winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

City really need to ditch any thoughts of going 2 up top. Just constantly play Silva in behind Aguero. Both players are a different animal in that setup.

Paully D wrote: »
    City really need to ditch any thoughts of going 2 up top. Just constantly play Silva in behind Aguero. Both players are a different animal in that setup.
    Correct. But MP seems to have an obsession with 4-4-2. And no; I don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Prefer Silva in behind Aguero too, but at least a partnership of Aguero and Bony looks like it could work. Aguero and Dzeko never clicked at all as a pair.

• Advertisement

Thing is Aguero and Silva are small and that's not best suited to the English game week in week out...having a Bony/Dzeko up there is very very useful. Of course on their day Silva and Aguero can tear apart any defence all day but having a target man has so many benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardian running a bid story - Pogba to City, Toure as make-weight.

I hope the above is true, Pogba would be an amazing signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Stunning goal

That would be some statement of intent absolutely awesome signing if you get him.

Oops wrong quote but obviously Talking about Pogba

blueser wrote: »
    A professional performance, though it could have been more; we took our foot off the gas in the last 20 minutes. Looking good for Kun re. the Golden Boot award. And delighted for Joe, keeping another clean sheet to keep the pressure on Mignolet for the Golden Gloves award. Just a pity we had such a sh1tty winter.

Hart doesnt get enough respect,he is a great keeper,whats he on now if he wins the golden glove this year 3 times?Once we get a good left back we will be alot better,clichy has been out of his depth for a long time.Kolorov is decent tho!

Hart doesnt get enough respect,he is a great keeper,whats he on now if he wins the golden glove this year 3 times?Once we get a good left back we will be alot better,clichy has been out of his depth for a long time.Kolorov is decent tho!
    Agreed on hart. He had a ropey spell last season and Pellegrini decided to rest/drop him for Pantilimon. That kick up the arse did Hart a power of good, as he had become a bit complacent. I wouldn't swap him now for any other 'keeper in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

In other news, looks like goal-line technology just got us 2nd place :D

Massive result to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I could be wrong on this, but any time I see Manchester City play with Aguero up front and Silva in behind they are usually very, very good. Then the next week Pellegrini just ditches it and shifts Silva out wide or goes with 2 up top.

Obviously he has forgotten more about football than I will ever know, but I just don't understand why he won't play the aforementioned in those positions consistently.

Do any of you have a stat on how City perform with Aguero up top and Silva in behind as opposed to with other systems?

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    I could be wrong on this, but any time I see Manchester City play with Aguero up front and Silva in behind they are usually very, very good. Then the next week Pellegrini just ditches it and shifts Silva out wide or goes with 2 up top.

Obviously he has forgotten more about football than I will ever know, but I just don't understand why he won't play the aforementioned in those positions consistently.

Do any of you have a stat on how City perform with Aguero up top and Silva in behind as opposed to with other systems?

I don't have any stats for you but we do play better with Aguero up top on his own. If the system was used every game though there would be 3 pissed off strikers getting zero games so I can see why Pellegrini changes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I don't have any stats for you but we do play better with Aguero up top on his own. If the system was used every game though there would be 3 pissed off strikers getting zero games so I can see why Pellegrini changes it.

And we would be figured out fairly sharpish each week.

I like Aguero upfront and Silva in behind him, the only problem though is Silva ability to finish is awful. He's not much of a goal scorer outside the box.

theballz wrote: »
    And we would be figured out fairly sharpish each week.

I like Aguero upfront and Silva in behind him, the only problem though is Silva ability to finish is awful. He's not much of a goal scorer outside the box.
    TRhe annoying part of that is, he has the ability. Remember the game at Hull last season, or the trip to Upton Park earlier in this campaign? He is more than capab le from scoring from 18yds+. Why he doesn't shoot more often, I don't know. It's his only significant weak point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Bret Hart wrote: »

Rather milner than sterling.

Rather milner than sterling.
    Same here. We're not badly off on attacking options, its a top notch CB and LB we need. For the Price Liverpool will undoubtedly be putting on Sterling's head, you'd want the finished article. And he's not close to being that yet. Too inconsistent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

loobylou wrote: »

Completely unsurprising.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    Completely unsurprising.
    The only surprising thing is that it took so long. I'm amazed that any of the clubs didn't get some hot shot lawyer on the case, citing restraint of trade.

blueser wrote: »
    The only surprising thing is that it took so long. I'm amazed that any of the clubs didn't get some hot shot lawyer on the case, citing restraint of trade.

I agree with Gary Neville about what he said about FFP on MNF earlier this season though,he was right about it. It should be about stopping a Portsmouth type situation, not about stopping other clubs from coming up through owners who want to build up a club,even if it means that Utd won't be able to compete with City and PSG when it comes to wages and bidding for the top players.

City game is on Setanta Ireland for any of you guys who didn't know.

• Advertisement

Nice one Frank!

Delighted for Lampard...absolute champ of a man

All the best in America Frank.

CFx9CiMVEAAh2zq.jpg

Nice one Kun. A worthy recipient of the golden boot award.

Top scorers in the league, the best GD in the league and the only PL side not to be involved in a 0-0 game this season. A disappointing season? Ultimately, yes; failing to retain the title hurts. But a dull season? Definitely not; life's never dull with us!

MOTD saying they had to delay their goal of the season contest so they could include Wilshere's goal today. Yet lat week, they said they couldn't include Joe's save at Swansea as it came after voting had started. Hmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If he can stay fit for the whole of next season Sergio will break the premier league goal scoring record

If he can stay fit for the whole of next season Sergio will break the premier league goal scoring record

Bold statement,but he will be there abouts im sure!

Looks like Yaya Milner gone going by the body language yesterday.
    Shame milner going,he will do well at any club he goes to.
    Mangala looks better with every game need him and Kompany start every game and no rotating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Yaya staying at City next season according to his agent. Wow. Didn't see that coming. Thought he was definitely on his way. Amy Lewis from Sky Sports just put it up on twitter.

Cracking strike from young George Evans last night;

http://fat.gfycat.com/AcclaimedWhimsicalEuropeanfiresalamander.webm

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement