Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 Mod warning post # 1403

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'd say Delph got spooked about lack of playing time. Might happen with more than just him this summer when it's painfully obvious that you are signing some to meet quotas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

He wants to play a lot of football, be captain and be in the Euro 2016 squad, none which is likely at City.

Disagree.

He would of gotten decent game time at city and I think by ðefault he would be in the England squad, how many times over the years have players from the top four clubs been in England squad by default instead of merit. As soon as a player moved to or started a game for united they were in England squads and starting games prime example Tom cleverly.

I think Delph is mad to turn down the chance, not being biased, but he would be silly to turn down any of the top four. Villa are in a rut, last two years fighting relegation and there is nothing to suggest that it will change any time soon.

Come to city, play with some of the best players in the league, compete at highest level, probably win trophies, get loads of money I don't see the down part. Look at Barry and Milner massive succes at city, he should be backing himself to be like tnon not sinclair(Rodwell can't be compared he may have played if fit, he was never fit).

Worse case scenario, he barely plays, gets tonnes of money and gets a move to any other team outside top four or back to villa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

POKERKING wrote: »
    Disagree.

He would of gotten decent game time at city and I think by ðefault he would be in the England squad, how many times over the years have players from the top four clubs been in England squad by default instead of merit. As soon as a player moved to or started a game for united they were in England squads and starting games prime example Tom cleverly.

I think Delph is mad to turn down the chance, not being biased, but he would be silly to turn down any of the top four. Villa are in a rut, last two years fighting relegation and there is nothing to suggest that it will change any time soon.

Come to city, play with some of the best players in the league, compete at highest level, probably win trophies, get loads of money I don't see the down part. Look at Barry and Milner massive succes at city, he should be backing himself to be like tnon not sinclair(Rodwell can't be compared he may have played if fit, he was never fit).

Worse case scenario, he barely plays, gets tonnes of money and gets a move to any other team outside top four or back to villa.

Will he be so loyal if villa get regulated,I dont think so.I was hoping he would get game time aswell shame but have to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

We seem to have a reputation as a graveyard for English talent, but Milner, Barry and Hart have done well whereas Rodwell, Johnson and Sinclair simply weren't good enough. Delph would have been given a chance and got a lot of games.

We may have dodged a bullet in that despite being Villa captain and and an England international he doesn't appear to have enough faith in his own ability to fight for a starting spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

My gut tells me (and also a little bit of optimistic thinking :p) is that Delph clearly has England in mind and figured a move to City would be a great platform as he'd definitely get game time alternating/fighting for a place with the likes of the two Fern's but he obviously must have been told that he'd be expecting more competition for game time...aka the club wants to bring in another CM.

If we can just get de bruyne signed this week,it would settle some nerves,for some reason I cant get excited about sterling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

If we can just get de bruyne signed this week,it would settle some nerves,for some reason I cant get excited about sterling!
    Thank fcuk; I thought I was the only one! Far too often, there's no end product with him. He'll go on a fantastic mazy run, then he'll ping the cross out for a goal kick, or he'll blaze the shot wide. Don't get me wrong; he's a very good prospect, and he'd be "home-grown" as well. It's just that, for the sort of money the scousers are looking for him, you'd want the finished product. And even Sterling's biggest fans would admit that he's nowhere near that yet.

blueser wrote: »
    Thank fcuk; I thought I was the only one! Far too often, there's no end product with him. He'll go on a fantastic mazy run, then he'll ping the cross out for a goal kick, or he'll blaze the shot wide. Don't get me wrong; he's a very good prospect, and he'd be "home-grown" as well. It's just that, for the sort of money the scousers are looking for him, you'd want the finished product. And even Sterling's biggest fans would admit that he's nowhere near that yet.

I haven't come across anyone who's optimistic about Sterling considering the going fee. 20mil less then I'd be thrilled, but anything over 30 is a bit of a joke. But it's England, it's City and Sterling has barely started shaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Wouldn't be so sure that he's keen to join anybody in England this window. The Bundesliga bodes well wit players wanting to stay once they arrive due to the passion they show and the regularly full stadiums.

I haven't come across anyone who's optimistic about Sterling considering the going fee. 20mil less then I'd be thrilled, but anything over 30 is a bit of a joke. But it's England, it's City and Sterling has barely started shaving.
    And there is where the nail is hit firmly on the head. I have no doubt that a fair bit of "Oh; it's City. Stick another 10m on, they can afford it" has come into play here. Along with the "home-grown" factor. But it's ridiculous money. How much did Suarez go for; €81m, or £52m at today's exchange rates. So Liverpool are suggesting that Sterling is worth the same as Suarez. Even accounting for the age difference, that's ludicrous.

• Advertisement

And there is where the nail is hit firmly on the head. I have no doubt that a fair bit of "Oh; it's City. Stick another 10m on, they can afford it" has come into play here. Along with the "home-grown" factor. But it's ridiculous money. How much did Suarez go for; €81m, or £52m at today's exchange rates. So Liverpool are suggesting that Sterling is worth the same as Suarez. Even accounting for the age difference, that's ludicrous.

Shame we couldn't be in for/get walcott,even with his injurys.

Shame we couldn't be in for/get walcott,even with his injurys.
    That's a good shout, actually. On paper, he'd be (for me) the better buy. As you hinted at though, he's made of glass. Pity. Shame for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

44 million plus 5 million in future add ons. Awful value. Hope he fulfills his potential big time.

So; £49m it is, apparently.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33497488

Can't help feeling we've had our pants pulled down over this transfer. No way is he worth anywhere remotely near that figure. £30-35m tops, IMO.

So; £49m it is, apparently.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33497488

Can't help feeling we've had our pants pulled down over this transfer. No way is he worth anywhere remotely near that figure. £30-35m tops, IMO.

Couldn't care less about the price - he is exactly what we need and could be seen as a bargain in the same way Rooney proved worth the huge fee.

A sick sick joke. Ah well he better f*cking tear the place up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

QPR the big winners here. 20% of the fee for them. look at the end of the day what does the ordinary fan care what we paid for him as he long as he tears the place up. Remember we broke the club record to sign lee bradbury back in the day when we hadn't a pot to piss in.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Am a Utd fan...and not stirring it but jaysus Liverpool saw ye coming!!!...Sterling had made himself public enemy No1 within Pool dressingroom,with the fans and board and yet ye pay so much for a lad who has bags of potential but only that,one of main reasons he was so good for Liverpool two seasons ago was that Suarez was being double marked in games leaving tonnes of space for him.

Can really see him as one of those lads who will p**s his career away.

We have sold £40 million plus of dead wood already this summer, with Dzeko and Jovetic still to be sold on top of that. Big wages of Milner, Lampard, Richards gone too. Perhaps we have paid top dollar for Sterling but we can afford it - and top talent costs big money - look at how you had to overpay for Di Maria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

he's 20, he wants to win the Premiership medal, will he win one with Liverpool under Rodgers? ............answer ---- unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

fantastic signing roll on next season:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hitchens wrote: »
    he's 20, he wants to win the Premiership medal, will he win one with Liverpool under Rodgers? ............answer ---- unlikely

He is 20 as you say lets hope that potential is actually justified for ye if not Liverpool will be laughing to the bank. They are already as Sterling had made 2 many enemies and could not stay. QPR aalso loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Enjoy Sterling!!!!

Im so happy to see the back of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Price is crazy but I'm glad we got him as we need him. If he improves his finishing he will be incredible.

Great couple of days for City, getting sterling is huge(regardless of price which is about right for me) and Denayer signing 5 year contract for us today.

happy days, onwards to the next two targets!

• Advertisement

Denayer signing again is fantastic, was starting to get worried with him going into last year of contract. I think he will see a lot of first team action this year for us unless it is decided that it is better for his development to go out on loan again.

rwbug wrote: »
    Denayer signing again is fantastic, was starting to get worried with him going into last year of contract. I think he will see a lot of first team action this year for us unless it is decided that it is better for his development to go out on loan again.

Hopefully pawning off Boyata will mean they wish to include Denayer in their plans.

Price is crazy but I'm glad we got him as we need him. If he improves his finishing he will be incredible.
    Pretty much sums it up for me. No way is he worth that money (half of it would be nearer the mark), but the management obviously wanted him badly enough to loosen the purse strings. As for his finishing; yes, it needs to improve. But he's going to be playing with the likes of Kun, Merlin and Yaya now. It can only bring on his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Sterling is a bad signing but I could be wrong. I'm just wondering who made the decision to sign him? Does Pellegrini have a big say this year? If he does then I'd think it might not be a bad move but from what I seen of him playing for Liverpool I really do think he is a bit headless and I don't think you can coach that out of a player.

I'm a Blackburn Rovers fan so have no bias one way or another although I'm a huge fan of Manuel Pellegrini, probably my favourite manager in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Thanks for the 49m lads:D, ever so slightly overpayed for a lad who cant pass,tackle,head,shoot or score, but im sure he will come good some day:pac:

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Thanks for the 49m lads:D, ever so slightly overpayed for a lad who cant pass,tackle,head,shoot or score, but im sure he will come good some day:pac:
    let's wait and see what transpires .........oh, and how are ye going with Mario? :pac:

Pretty much sums it up for me. No way is he worth that money (half of it would be nearer the mark), but the management obviously wanted him badly enough to loosen the purse strings. As for his finishing; yes, it needs to improve. But he's going to be playing with the likes of Kun, Merlin and Yaya now. It can only bring on his game.

U think he only worth 25m? That's nearly what Liverpool paid for markovic let alone there best player(arguably). I think 49m is a far price in today's market given all the variables. I genuinely do.

Right.

let's wait and see what transpires .........oh, and how are ye going with Mario? :pac:

Mario didnt cost 49m;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Mario didnt cost 49m;)
    No, you actually got Mario, Dejan, Adam and Lazar for £81 million.

Mario didnt cost 49m;)
    ad_167574477.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all&w=768&h=585&crop=1
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I still miss him all the same.

Thank you for selling us your best player. I'm sure you will use the money wisely like ye did with the Suarez money. Best of luck getting top 4 sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Mario should be judged on his entertainment factor not his goals surely:confused:

slingerz wrote: »
    Mario should be judged on his entertainment factor not his goals surely:confused:

True ................and don't call me Shirley! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I still miss him all the same.

that pass to Sergio will never be forgotten

De Bruyne would be another great signing, but again the fee would worry me. For that amount you should be pressing for a guy like Reus who's more of a goal threat and all round a better AM/winger.

Sterling-Silva-Reus/DeBruyne
    Aguero

That'd be some inter-changeable front line. Lack of height is telling though especially against weaker teams who'll be physical.

De Bruyne would be another great signing, but again the fee would worry me. For that amount you should be pressing for a guy like Reus who's more of a goal threat and all round a better AM/winger.

Sterling-Silva-Reus/DeBruyne
    Aguero

That'd be some inter-changeable front line. Lack of height is telling though especially against weaker teams who'll be physical.

Id take either tbh but wasnt De bruyne better last season?

Id take either tbh but wasnt De bruyne better last season?

He was indeed. Reus seems to have struggled since getting injured before the World Cup last summer but I think on ability alone he's a top 10 player in the world, certainly in the attacking sector. I think he needs a new scene. Lewan and Gotze are gone, as is Klopp. He did sign a new contract a few months back though so he'll cost the best bones of 50m but I think he's worth it.

He was indeed. Reus seems to have struggled since getting injured before the World Cup last summer but I think on ability alone he's a top 10 player in the world, certainly in the attacking sector. I think he needs a new scene. Lewan and Gotze are gone, as is Klopp. He did sign a new contract a few months back though so he'll cost the best bones of 50m but I think he's worth it.

yeah cant argue with that, always liked Reus when i seen him play but dont see that much of him to be honest.

I am surprised he isnt on the move this year given the circumstances with Dortmund, mind you that goes for Hummels too.

I will be excited if we sign either.

Then a top class centre midfielder and we are done i think.

:(
    Thank you for selling us your best player. I'm sure you will use the money wisely like ye did with the Suarez money. Best of luck getting top 4 sir.

Well we already got one of your best players in milner, plus firminho is a far better player then sterling, and we havent touched the sterling money yet;)

yeah cant argue with that, always liked Reus when i seen him play but dont see that much of him to be honest.

I am surprised he isnt on the move this year given the circumstances with Dortmund, mind you that goes for Hummels too.

I will be excited if we sign either.

Then a top class centre midfielder and we are done i think.

I'll be lunging the savings on us for the title if we get Pogba/Vidal and Reus/De Bruyne :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

When Luke Shaw costs 30 mill....44 for Sterling is fair game.

People put way too much emphasis on price, he was ideal singing for City and they got him. Nothing else really matters.

Well we already got one of your best players in milner, plus firminho is a far better player then sterling, and we havent touched the sterling money yet;)

Agreed on Milner, very good player. I think Sterling is going to have a better season than Firminho. He wasn't great last season, but he was largely creating chances for Lambert, Borini and Mario. When he played with Suarez and Sturridge he was quality.

• Advertisement

Balotelli, Sturridge, Milner ......................Liverpool = Man City Lite :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement